Akamai Technologies Employee Reviews

Challenging problems to solve
User Experience (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 16, 2017
Interesting design problems to work on, great autonomy to take on problems and define solutions. Heavy engineering-centric culture, beginning to adopt user-centered methodologies. Can be a challenge to break out of business unit silos. Good life-work balance.
Senior Instructional Designer and Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 13, 2017
I liked Akamai, but I had to leave the company because of my manager. Seems to be a big theme at Akamai. HR was involved because the entire department had issues with her. Yet, nothing was ever done and people continue to leave the company.
Cloud & Cybersecurity Liaison (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2017
Akamai is working to integrate a focus on security as it moves away from a primarily CDN focus. Akamai is poised to continue to grow the company over time.
My Summary
Marketing Co-op (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 6, 2017
I write this review after about fourteen months after departing the company, the end of my short term contract reaching an end. In fact it would be hard to review my time at Akamai as I was being employed through Pro Unlimited.
Productive and fun workplace
SENIOR TECHNICAL PROGRAM MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 4, 2017
Startup culture with the stability of a well established company.
Really smart people who love what they do!
Great perks and benefits, flexible hours and unlimited PTO
Nice Place to Work
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 17, 2017
Nice place to work except stay away from the Web Experience Group, Management in that group is tough to work with.

Flexible work schedule. Nice Salary and benefits.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Difficult to commute into Cambridge
Challenging workplace - very fast pace
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge MaJuly 12, 2017
Lots of interesting problems for software engineers - because of fast growth and the scale of the business. Significantly home-grown software stack. Very highly-educated workforce.
Balanced Place for Work and Fun
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJuly 5, 2017
Akamai technologies is a great company to work for. They care about their workers and have a great atmosphere in their Santa Clara office. The people are nice and are generally talkative. My manager was amazing. She had that perfect balance of authority and confidant. The biggest draw back was how the main corporate office is in Cambridge, MA. It created problems in communication. I would love coming in to work everyday. The best part about Akamai is how they treat their workers. They are provided with things they need to accomplish their jobs and even provide break time fun like ping pong and pool tables, even video games.
Challenging and rewarding atmosphere
Senior Technical Writer (contract) (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 27, 2017
Worked with very bright people who would go the extra mile to make sure you understood what you needed to get the job done. Deeply technical and stimulating work.
A first class ticket
Account Development Executive, Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 15, 2017
I was there for three years. Loved this place on many levels.

They are rated as a top 100 company to work for for a reason.

Thanks to owning part of the internet CDN, they will always do well.
Pros
Good products, great benefits, amazing work / life balance, and they really care about the employees.
Cons
Average marketing. Top heavy on their clients. Lack of SMB.
Data room tech
Data room Technician (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAApril 17, 2017
A typical day of work for me was to come in open up my ticket portal prioritize tickets, work on ticket in proper order check shipping for incoming packages for tickets. Work on Machine deployments Receiving unpacking and installing, racking, power cabling, ETH cabling, Running Fiber cross connects, Configuring/Rescuing machines, Installing switches, Worked Machine Decons, Work with Team to make sure machines safe to power down. Bring down all machines remove cabling, Removed machines from rack and staged in Packaging room, Prepared machines for outgoing shipping in proper Server boxes and pallets. Including Wrapping and strapping machines down to pallet. Over all over the last 3 years I have spent there i have learned an immense amount about data room It field.
Great Experience
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 5, 2017
This was a great company to grow as a sales person. A billion collar company that invests in its employees. Lots of great training and meetings with teams to learn every advantage to take to the field.
Fortune 500 company with brilliant people.
Security Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 20, 2017
Everyday was a opportunity to learn from top notch people and employees. The environment encourage and respected hard work and perseverance as well as encouraging several off-site activities.
Overall Good Experience
Senior Technical Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 7, 2017
Good people, great technologies, very encouraging of people moving within the company to help them grow professionally.Great benefits and a very smart management team.
Fun Workplace, Very Smart People Who Genuinely Want You To Succeed
Web, Global Industry, & Product Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 6, 2017
Akamai is a great company with an amazing vibe. Even as an intern, the sense of freedom, responsibility, and respect I was given was very impressive. Definitely a place that I would love to return to full-time!
Great company, free lunches on Project Develoment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 2, 2017
Great company to work for in IT. High energy and they hire a lot of outside contractors for projects. High turnover rate though. Would go back there for the environment.
Pros
Great energy and project development.
Cons
High turnover rate.
Former marketing work horse
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 9, 2017
The management in this marketing position was very unprofessional and treats their employees with little to no respect.

There is no clear-cut policy for hours per week or time off, so be very careful. I had a death in the family, and with adequate information provided, I was still reprimanded for not coming to work the day of the funeral. Very sad.

Great company, but be weary coming into this role.
Network Streaming at its best
Network Support Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 6, 2017
My time at Akamai Technologies was the most fascinating job experience I've had. WE worked closely with many up and coming Network giants, streaming video and audio at a time it was very new and challenging over the internet platform. Our successes were many, and the company was all over the Nasdaq, until ultimately the internet "bubble" burst and many tech companies went n hiatus, or closed altogether.
Pros
Work environment and benefits
Cons
9/11 changed everything for our company, most of us lost our jobs
AKamai Technology a great big company with startup cutlure
Senior SQA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 31, 2017
Great company good people and good technology. Very fast paced and always new things to learn. Commute is hard unless you live in the Boston area. Also not paid parking although they do give you a discount.
good for retirement
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 5, 2017
Pros:

good people, intelligent software discussions,

Con

lower than market compensation and no clear future growth plan
Pros
good people
Cons
lower than market compensation and no clear future growth plan

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Akamai Technologies. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2