Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work.
Office Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 25, 2017
The typical work day is always interesting. I learned a great deal about legal field, as well as what it takes to effectively solve problems when they occur. The management is always working diligently to create the best environment for success. The work culture is great and always focused on team effort and productivity. The hardest part of the job is making sure to follow the legal guidelines. The most enjoyable part of the job is winning cases.
Pros
Healthcare, Flexibility.
Cons
Limited advancement for staff employees.
Overall good firm. Poor departmental management.
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2016
Departmental management plays favorites and is obvious about it. Upper management is stellar and cares about its employees. Pay and benefits are pretty good. Partners are often haughty and rude, but many are great.
Pros
Upper management, benefits.
Cons
Department management is awful.
Not the typical employee
Pro Bono Policy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 14, 2015
I'm not the typical employee at the company, in that I consult on a pro-bono basis. The company is very open, however, to outsider input.
Morlocks in the basement
Litigation Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 9, 2015
At the time I worked there, Akin Gump's litigation support department was consigned to the basement. We were at the bottom of the priority list for facilities, and I found them to be untenable. On the other hand, this meant that we were left alone, and could work with relatively few disturbances.

We found ourselves under constant time pressure -- because the attorneys were under the same pressure themselves. We were in a constant race to furnish documents for the attorneys to review, because they needed the maximum amount of time to review and evaluate the information we were processing.

Trial support was particularly arduous, as we would spend eight hours in the court house, and then another eight hours preparing for the following day in court. Working double shifts for weeks can take its toll.
Pros
Salary, colleagues
Cons
Time pressure
Poor Management
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2015
A fast pace environment.The benefits are great! Management is not the best. Most are not fully qualified for their positions. Staff employees are just that, staff. Staff employees are not treated equally and positions are created for "favored" employees.
Benefits
Cons
Management, work/life balance, staff appreciation
Great firm
Staff Attorney (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 25, 2014
These people are world class. Very good people, in Dallas, anyway..
Pros
collegiality
Cons
None.
Productive and Advanced
Legal Secretary, Recruiting Admin (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2014
I enjoyed my employment during my time with this company. I met many great people with a host of everyday opportunities which allowed challenges that helped me grow.
Pros
healthcare, salary, advancement for growth, overall great environment
Cons
unfortunate bad chemistry with high end leaders that caused uncomfortable situations to occur.
horrid place with awful co workers
litigation (Former Employee) –  los angeles June 16, 2013
Bad people are kept around forever to make everyone else's life miserable. Evil selfish behavior is rewarded.
Pros
they pay well
Cons
backstabbing is the company sport
A Stepping Stone...
Litigation Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Washington DCJune 2, 2013
A typical paralegal job in which you can benefit if you use it as a stepping stone. A relatively good paralegal position in big law.
Awesome Firm with Great People
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 8, 2013
Everyone is very friendly. Work week is 37.5 hours. There is training available on a daily basis with any programs the firm uses. Management is top notch and you are treated as an equal.
Productive and team environment
Information Technology Support Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2013
We are supportive of each other. I have been with the firm for over 12 years and it's a great place to work.
Merger and Acquisition transactions
Senior Counsel (Former Employee) –  Moscow, CENOctober 6, 2012
Worked on a number of Merger and Acquisition transactions for large Russian and international clients of the firm. I acquired profound experience to work in a team, under pressure and giving advice on high-profile transactions.
Pros
valuable experience in transactional work
Cons
absence of litigation experience
A dynamic environment with fast-paced projects and opportunities for continued growth...
Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 17, 2012
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP's IT operation is fast paced and provides many opportunities for technical growth and development.

Due to the fast pace, though, the work / life balance can be impacted if you don't actively work to keep it in balance.

Overall, this is a good place to develop your IT service delivery skills.
Pros
very good compensation and benefits. friendly work environment.
Cons
the pace of it project delivery, at times, creates a stressful environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP. Our community is ready to answer.

Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP Reviews by Location