AKIRA Employee Reviews

Copywriters Be Warned
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2017
$11/hr (the current minimum wage in Chicago) is not enough pay for a copywriter, especially when they ask for a year of experience. They don't put the pay in the job posting, btw.

This is a good position for an INTERN, someone who's still in school. Period. If they want a serious copywriter then they really need to pay more and organize the marketing department a little better. This place has no understanding of what a copywriter is.

Not an angry rant in any way. It's just that the copywriter posting needs some serious clarification.
Pros
Some of the people are pretty nice
Cons
Too many to list
Love the Environment
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 27, 2017
Love the environment that Akira gives. Although the location I worked I felt judged, pressured and sometimes belittled of character. I loved the opportunity to make money and the fact that I learned many skills that I will take on with me in the future of job searching. Akira is minimum wage and only make a very small percentage off what you sale. This is why you have to own it. Working Akira you definitely will learn just that
Fun party environment with the work of a factory!!
Visual Merchandising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, ILJune 14, 2017
AKIRA has an amazing atmosphere! Hyde Park location is the most energetic, attractive and trend forward of its 24 locations the business has. Working wise and shopping wise the energy is great! The workload and pace of this place is noooo joke though! There are peak hours everyday so it is always an opportunity for the stylists to make money because that position is mostly commission based. Cashiering and tasking positions are hourly based, Management positions are salary and commission based,
Fast paced and fun
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Norridge, ILJune 9, 2017
It's like a sisterhood. All of the girls are nice, fun, and stylish. You begin to pick up a few fashion tips while working there. The company is small and very informative as well as involved. Great place to work when you get in
Wasn't the best experience
Tasker (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILMay 30, 2017
It was good at the beginning then there were times I wouldn't leave until 2am and the mall closes at 10pm. Management was rude, wasn't a great experience
Pros
Cons
Hours, management
Fun, upbeat environment
Tasker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 30, 2017
A typical day at working at Akira, is a fast, paced job. One working there will always be on the move. I learned working there the importance of making sure things are put back in their rightful place. the most enjoyable part of the job was the 30% discount.
Pros
30% discount
Cons
short breaks
Fast paced, fun loving
Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 19, 2017
It's a very fast paced retail environment with high expectations. It is not your typical retail job, you can't just show up and stand around and collect your check. Sales associates and managers are fun to work with and create a positive environment for everybody, customers included.
A day at Akira
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 16, 2017
It is a fast paced environment. I have learned so much about myself and how hard I work for the things I really do want in life. You have to run your store as if it is your own business to make it successful. The people you work with are amazing!
Don't trust the recruiters
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2017
Worst experience of my life. The culture here is toxic and I feel badly for the employees that believe what they're doing is normal. Dangerous work environments and emotionally abusive management.
Very Competitive
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILApril 26, 2017
The sales position is mainly commission based, so you have to compete with your co workers for sales. Sometimes you don't make any money and sometimes you do.
Great Experience But Work For Yourself
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 17, 2017
Akira is a great store to shop in do not get me wrong. I have had lots of funny and great moments. Although it is super expensive. But the management in the store is not good. People will steal your sales so you have to stay on top of your clients, including managers. The environment is like a dysfunctional family.
It's a nice place to meet new people
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILMarch 28, 2017
It's a nice place to start out at but the management is terrible, they don't give you your exact sales, the pay is always changing. The only good thing about AKIRA, is the regular customers that like you
Cons
No real breaks, lots of theft
LOVED working here
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILMarch 18, 2017
I worked here as a stylist in high school, where the pay was 100% commission. Some may not like this, but I did in the way that it was u[ to me to make my own money.
Good place to work - Fun activities
SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR / LEAD TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 13, 2017
Overall, a good place to work, fast paced, never a dull moment, good atmosphere. Employee discount is offered when purchasing items from the stores which my wife loves of course.
Do not work here!!! They are very unprofessional
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  WIOctober 4, 2016
I left a job to work here and I hate I did. Their training methods are sorry and they expect you to know everything in one or two days. No one is on the same page (management) and instead of training and teaching how they prefer things done, they just criticize you. Their pay is minimum at best and they will have you working overtime without asking if you would like too (no breaks either). There are many retail jobs that will pay you the same and give you adequate training without inefficient managers and a** kissing assistants who judge you less on your potential and more on if you fit in.
Pros
Cons
management, training, no breaks, the way they treat you
Absolutely Horendous
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2016
I got this job because I thought it would be a fun experience. I mean who wouldn't want to dress people up? But it was terrible mainly because of the managers. I should have known something was very wrong when I saw a plethora negative reviews but I still have the job a chance.

Despite some snooty coworkers (who I felt thought you were their competition) a lot of the employees were cool. But management was below subpar. Upon working there was little to no training, they just throw you out there and have the nerve and audacity to "grade" you on how well or bad you did. All 3 managers were telling me different things. One said come in at a certain time, I come in and I'm told by another manager to come the next hour. I was to leave at a certain time and I left 2 hours earlier. Then one manager tried to play me by saying she didn't tell me to come in at a certain time. My last day I came in and the manager lied and told me she said to come in in the morning. She sent me NO email, I was NOT put on the schedule and the last time I talked to her it was about bringing my ID in, which I'm glad I didn't.

So not only are the managers unorganized, they play these mental games with you. The pay is super low it's a shame. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
Cool customers
Cons
Unorganized, horrible communication, extremely low pay
Zero Stars
"Manager" (Former Employee) –  All of ChicagoJune 19, 2016
This company is the most awful retail company to ever work for. 1st, sales people, you're all commission and you have to fight your co-workers to get it. I've seen fights in front of customers. So embarrassing. Staff comes to work drunk, lots of internal theft, and there are no managers. In life, managers manage situations, update staff on daily stats, and run a business. Here, they are just over glorified sales people who stand around and talk about the guy they had last night, the party, and if a customer needs help, it's a burden on them. If there is a problem, it is not resolved and management will debate and argue the customer. If you are a good manager and really know how to run a business, you won't last here...mostly because you don't get high at work and you actually want to help customers instead of bombard them with cheap clothes from China. Here, you are literally forced to bring heaps of clothing to a room that no one wants. The clothes are bought super cheap and sold over priced. This is the most unorganized company ever and they build their "brand" to look like that. The owners know how to buy party clothes, but have zero clue that most of the staff puke on it in the back. In order to work here, you have to be snorting in the back in order to prepare yourself for the amount of energy you'll need to make a $1 of commission. If you want stress, micro managing, no breaks, and work for a company where ALL OSHA laws are broken, this is for you. Be a professional, and skip this company.
Pros
There are no pros.
Cons
The company in general
Fun clothes, and that's about it.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMay 26, 2016
I was lucky and had great coworkers who became great friends. However, this company completely doesn't give a hoot about its workers. The half hour break for a 9+ hour shift wasn't adequate at all, and possibly illegal? Shady return policy and it was hard to not agree with the customer when they would bring up how sketchy it was.
Pros
good discount on clothes
Cons
cheap company, terrible breaks, disorganized
Run Away!
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILMay 18, 2016
From the outside looking in you would think it's such a cool place work..Great clothes and great music while you work! Umm no this place is a mess, management is rude and it's super unorganized, they don't even properly train you on the register they just throw you on it and expect you to know what your doing! Very competitive, if you didn't meet your sales they would send you home...like who comes to work to have to leave in a hour because the store is not busy..waste of time and gas...they have such a high turner over rate..one girl worked there a year ( which is the longest anybody in the store has been there) that tells you something right there!
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Unorganized, rude management, no proper training
Lots of work with little pay
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 15, 2016
I have worked for this company and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Management is racist and constantly follow Black people around the store. They expect you to do everything while they sit and do nothing. I have also worked in the corporate location and the conditions aren't great.
Pros
Great work experince to see what you can and cannot handle
Cons
-Short break (if any at all) -racist managment -Little with pay