AKIRA Employee Reviews

Fun Place To Work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILSeptember 30, 2014
Loved Everything About It, Except Scheduling conflicts
and too many sales associates thought they were managers
Terrible
Web Order Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2014
Such a terrible place to work. I worked in the warehouse for web orders and there was no structure, undocumented workers tagging the merchandise, the manager Treena was a joke. The pay was minimal and the hours were ok I suppose; they worked around my school schedule. I wouldn't suggest that anyone work for Akira. The only way to advance is if you are Asian, otherwise you will be stuck where you are.
Pros
worked around school schedule
Cons
untrained managers, unstructured business model, no possibility of real advancement
A lot of work for a little of nothing.
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2014
No matter how hard you work, it is very customer based. If you are a good salesperson, it doesn't necessarily mean you can make good sales. They are a money hungry company with cheap products. They pick favorites, are terrible with punishments of bad behavior, and are a corrupt company.
Loved my store but not the company structure
Head Stylist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 5, 2014
A typical day consisted of:customer service, styling,and merchandising. I did learn how to listen to work with people of different back grounds and how to be a better employee. Management was changed frequently and rules varied from manager to manager. I honestly had some of the best co-worker at this job. We worked well together, and had fun while getting our jobs done. The hardest but most fun part of my job was trying to make a disgruntle customer happy. On multiple occasion I had a client that shopped at a different an had a bad experience, so it was up to me to change their entire outlook on the company and create a friendship. The most enjoyable part of my job was being around different people all the time and creating client relationships into actual friendships.
Pros
working for a company that other people love.
Cons
rare to no breaks, advancement wasn't based on work performance.
horrible
stylist (Former Employee) –  chicagoFebruary 6, 2014
i worked as a stylist for over a year and it was the worst place to work for. bad pay, bad hours, bad people, horrible management, theft, and back stabbing is rampant.
Entry level management job
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 21, 2013
This is a good place to learn the basics without any structure. You get the freedom to do as you need to because there isn't a corporate guideline for anything. You can pretty much leave the place as dirty as you would like because all they want you to do is sell. I am very attentive to details so it wasn't the place for me. There is no worklife/personal life balance at this company and you are required to work off of the clock a lot. Unfortunately business planning is not on their highest list so if you are an experienced manager...these things will drive you crazy!!
Pros
higher salary than most small stores
Cons
30 minute breaks on 9 hour shifts, unprofessional company, never a plan to get something accomplished so it runs crazy all of the time, each store runs differently with no structure
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILAugust 27, 2013
Working at Akira women is a fun job. All the girls are friendly and welcoming. Music was on point and everyone got along
Cons
short brakes
Sales
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 30, 2013
Fun, dynamice environment. Great job for someone wanting to pursue a career in design or event planning.
Fast paced weekends and holiday season with a fun new way of thinking about sales and customer relationships
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILFebruary 4, 2013
Helping design table and wall displays help the stylist really feel like a part of the company and using your own judgement and creativity with clients to build a successful relationship so that they become loyal to shopping with you was the most thrilling and fulfilling part.
Racist managers
personal shopper (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2012
I was an outstanding worker and I generated multiple amounts of money for the company and I was laid off and not compensated for my family vacation.
Pros
working one on one with my clients
Cons
obsessive competion
Good work enviroment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2012
I enjoy my job at work. My coworkers are extremely helpful and always full of joy. I am in charge of making everyone's schedule at work, sending out the supply list for the week, contacting other stores for shipment, and working with our celerant program we have on our computers. The hardest part of my job is commuting to and from work. It takes about an hour to get there and back home. I have to leave my daughter too early into the day and get home extremely tired from all the commuting. The most enjoyable part of my day is knowing that we have met our goal for the day, the week or the month. I know I did my part and helped the store with our goal.
Turn over rate is awful
Stylist & personal shopper (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2012
Did not feel appreciated. Dollar signs were clearly more important that loyalty to clients and employees.
Pros
fashion education
Cons
minimal hours

2.7