AKIRA Employee Reviews in United States

Lots of work with little pay
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 15, 2016
I have worked for this company and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Management is racist and constantly follow Black people around the store. They expect you to do everything while they sit and do nothing. I have also worked in the corporate location and the conditions aren't great.
Pros
Great work experince to see what you can and cannot handle
Cons
-Short break (if any at all) -racist managment -Little with pay
Run Away!
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILMay 18, 2016
From the outside looking in you would think it's such a cool place work..Great clothes and great music while you work! Umm no this place is a mess, management is rude and it's super unorganized, they don't even properly train you on the register they just throw you on it and expect you to know what your doing! Very competitive, if you didn't meet your sales they would send you home...like who comes to work to have to leave in a hour because the store is not busy..waste of time and gas...they have such a high turner over rate..one girl worked there a year ( which is the longest anybody in the store has been there) that tells you something right there!
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Unorganized, rude management, no proper training
Nice place to work the only issue is management.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 19, 2016
I enjoyed working here but I was hired for a short period of time and the only reason I was let go was because of the short hours that the company came across.
Pros
Unorganized management
Cons
Amount of hours
Absolutely Horendous
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2016
I got this job because I thought it would be a fun experience. I mean who wouldn't want to dress people up? But it was terrible mainly because of the managers. I should have known something was very wrong when I saw a plethora negative reviews but I still have the job a chance.

Despite some snooty coworkers (who I felt thought you were their competition) a lot of the employees were cool. But management was below subpar. Upon working there was little to no training, they just throw you out there and have the nerve and audacity to "grade" you on how well or bad you did. All 3 managers were telling me different things. One said come in at a certain time, I come in and I'm told by another manager to come the next hour. I was to leave at a certain time and I left 2 hours earlier. Then one manager tried to play me by saying she didn't tell me to come in at a certain time. My last day I came in and the manager lied and told me she said to come in in the morning. She sent me NO email, I was NOT put on the schedule and the last time I talked to her it was about bringing my ID in, which I'm glad I didn't.

So not only are the managers unorganized, they play these mental games with you. The pay is super low it's a shame. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
Cool customers
Cons
Unorganized, horrible communication, extremely low pay
Zero Stars
"Manager" (Former Employee) –  All of ChicagoJune 19, 2016
This company is the most awful retail company to ever work for. 1st, sales people, you're all commission and you have to fight your co-workers to get it. I've seen fights in front of customers. So embarrassing. Staff comes to work drunk, lots of internal theft, and there are no managers. In life, managers manage situations, update staff on daily stats, and run a business. Here, they are just over glorified sales people who stand around and talk about the guy they had last night, the party, and if a customer needs help, it's a burden on them. If there is a problem, it is not resolved and management will debate and argue the customer. If you are a good manager and really know how to run a business, you won't last here...mostly because you don't get high at work and you actually want to help customers instead of bombard them with cheap clothes from China. Here, you are literally forced to bring heaps of clothing to a room that no one wants. The clothes are bought super cheap and sold over priced. This is the most unorganized company ever and they build their "brand" to look like that. The owners know how to buy party clothes, but have zero clue that most of the staff puke on it in the back. In order to work here, you have to be snorting in the back in order to prepare yourself for the amount of energy you'll need to make a $1 of commission. If you want stress, micro managing, no breaks, and work for a company where ALL OSHA laws are broken, this is for you. Be a professional, and skip this company.
Pros
There are no pros.
Cons
The company in general
Loved my store but not the company structure
Head Stylist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 5, 2014
A typical day consisted of:customer service, styling,and merchandising. I did learn how to listen to work with people of different back grounds and how to be a better employee. Management was changed frequently and rules varied from manager to manager. I honestly had some of the best co-worker at this job. We worked well together, and had fun while getting our jobs done. The hardest but most fun part of my job was trying to make a disgruntle customer happy. On multiple occasion I had a client that shopped at a different an had a bad experience, so it was up to me to change their entire outlook on the company and create a friendship. The most enjoyable part of my job was being around different people all the time and creating client relationships into actual friendships.
Pros
working for a company that other people love.
Cons
rare to no breaks, advancement wasn't based on work performance.
Entry level management job
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 21, 2013
This is a good place to learn the basics without any structure. You get the freedom to do as you need to because there isn't a corporate guideline for anything. You can pretty much leave the place as dirty as you would like because all they want you to do is sell. I am very attentive to details so it wasn't the place for me. There is no worklife/personal life balance at this company and you are required to work off of the clock a lot. Unfortunately business planning is not on their highest list so if you are an experienced manager...these things will drive you crazy!!
Pros
higher salary than most small stores
Cons
30 minute breaks on 9 hour shifts, unprofessional company, never a plan to get something accomplished so it runs crazy all of the time, each store runs differently with no structure
Terrible
Web Order Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2014
Such a terrible place to work. I worked in the warehouse for web orders and there was no structure, undocumented workers tagging the merchandise, the manager Treena was a joke. The pay was minimal and the hours were ok I suppose; they worked around my school schedule. I wouldn't suggest that anyone work for Akira. The only way to advance is if you are Asian, otherwise you will be stuck where you are.
Pros
worked around school schedule
Cons
untrained managers, unstructured business model, no possibility of real advancement
Good work enviroment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2012
I enjoy my job at work. My coworkers are extremely helpful and always full of joy. I am in charge of making everyone's schedule at work, sending out the supply list for the week, contacting other stores for shipment, and working with our celerant program we have on our computers. The hardest part of my job is commuting to and from work. It takes about an hour to get there and back home. I have to leave my daughter too early into the day and get home extremely tired from all the commuting. The most enjoyable part of my day is knowing that we have met our goal for the day, the week or the month. I know I did my part and helped the store with our goal.
horrible
stylist (Former Employee) –  chicagoFebruary 6, 2014
i worked as a stylist for over a year and it was the worst place to work for. bad pay, bad hours, bad people, horrible management, theft, and back stabbing is rampant.

Want to know more about AKIRA?

Ask a question
Sales
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 30, 2013
Fun, dynamice environment. Great job for someone wanting to pursue a career in design or event planning.
Fast paced weekends and holiday season with a fun new way of thinking about sales and customer relationships
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILFebruary 4, 2013
Helping design table and wall displays help the stylist really feel like a part of the company and using your own judgement and creativity with clients to build a successful relationship so that they become loyal to shopping with you was the most thrilling and fulfilling part.
A lot of work for a little of nothing.
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2014
No matter how hard you work, it is very customer based. If you are a good salesperson, it doesn't necessarily mean you can make good sales. They are a money hungry company with cheap products. They pick favorites, are terrible with punishments of bad behavior, and are a corrupt company.
Fun Place To Work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILSeptember 30, 2014
Loved Everything About It, Except Scheduling conflicts
and too many sales associates thought they were managers
Racist managers
personal shopper (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2012
I was an outstanding worker and I generated multiple amounts of money for the company and I was laid off and not compensated for my family vacation.
Pros
working one on one with my clients
Cons
obsessive competion
Turn over rate is awful
Stylist & personal shopper (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2012
Did not feel appreciated. Dollar signs were clearly more important that loyalty to clients and employees.
Pros
fashion education
Cons
minimal hours
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILAugust 27, 2013
Working at Akira women is a fun job. All the girls are friendly and welcoming. Music was on point and everyone got along
Cons
short brakes