Akorn, Incorporated Employee Reviews

Good managaer
Line Leader (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 31, 2017
I enjoyed my position but they were adding too many people to the staff. I started out as a temp employee and was hired in four months. I was given the opportunity to go to a off shift, after doing so I became a lineleader.
Operator
Operator (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJuly 26, 2016
What a joke. Right hand doesn't know what left hands doing. Very unorganized during orientation, people were hired for one shift then told during orientation they were on a totally different shift. Run as fast as you can from here
Pros
Not sure
Cons
Short lunch and breaks
Hired from another pharmaceutical company and then Railroaded by Akorn!
Chemist III (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILNovember 10, 2015
I accepted a Chemist III position at the Decatur, Illinois manufacturing plant. I quit a stable job with another pharmaceutical company in the area to accept this position. They offered me significantly more money so I accepted. When I started I had no desk, no computer, and a trainer who obviously did not want me to be trained in the role she was in. This caused a major problem with my career. I was not even there one month and was let go. I used to work with a woman many years ago and she quit Akorn because they worked her to death. The Quality Control Chemists are worked like dogs, work weekends, and payed salary which did not take into account that she said that they would work her 60 hours a week or more. It could be a good company but a MAJOR over hall is needed.
Pros
Good starting salary and benefits
Cons
The lab is TOO small, The training was marginal, No personal desk, No personal computer, Little to no training.
Operator
Operator (Current Employee) –  Decatur ilSeptember 1, 2015
You make good money but you have no life operators work anywhere from 90-110 hours a paycheck and techs have worked up to 135 hours a paycheck there is no life balance and there word is as good as trash they will tell you one thing and totally reverse it that week no organization whatsoever. Good starting job.
Pros
Good money
Cons
No life
very good place to work
filling packaging technician (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJAugust 20, 2015
A really good place to work , good benefits , the management care about you and your family, they used to pay for my gym ,I enjoy the time with this company.
Productive and enjoyable place
Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJanuary 4, 2015
I enjoyed working at Akorn and it has been many years ago since I was employed there. I performed the duties of Production Technician.
Great benefits
packaging associate (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILApril 7, 2014
I learned a lot about the pharmaceutical industry while employed at Akorn, Inc.
Pros
great hours, competative wages
In charge of everything needed to bring a pharmucitical warehoue to FDA standards
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, ILNovember 14, 2012
Excellent job and learned and broadened my base knowledges
Pros
one year of prosperity
Cons
short lived company
A dreadful, dismal place to work with some of the poorest managers I have every worked for - and that's a positive assessment!
Regional Sales Representative (Former Employee)August 31, 2011
I am going to say this in as positive of a way possible. I have absolutely no animosity towards this company as I have outrun the system and currently am running my own manufactures rep firm. But when I left this company, it was like being released from the inferno regions ! And, I was one of the top paid reps in the company. When I joined this company, they were coming out of a near bankruptcy. The management team consisted of 4 key members: the CEO was focused and ran a lean and mean tight ship; the VP of Sales was fair and reasonable in his dealings with the sales force; a key accounts manager who was basically a buffoon, a complete idiot; and a field manager who was afraid of his own shadow. The first 2 are no longer there and I cannot comment on their replacements as I have never worked for them. The last 2 mentioned are still in their respective positions. One is still a buffoon and the other is still afraid of his own shadow. At the end of Q2 2009, Akorn was almost in ruin once again, largely due to the efforts of the buffoon who somehow managed to keep his job even though many in the company never understand why or how he got the job in the first place. When they were once again in near ruin, In an effort to survive, they decided to trim half the sales force and scale back on calling on major markets throughout the country. Their stock eventually recovered from the 80 cents per share to somewhere below $10. Their products, though generic, are adequate and represent a good value. However, none of the reps are making any money and I don't know of anyone in the field who  more... will honestly tell you they are happy or satisfied working there. I would avoid this company like it had the black plague. It would not be a good career move. In fact, working at Home Depot would be a better stop over point until a better job materialized. If offered a job with Akorn, run for your life!  less

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Akorn, Incorporated. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4