Akron Beacon Journal Employee Reviews

Workplace Culture
Inside Sales Executive Consultant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 30, 2017
Great place to work. The people at the Akron Beacon Journal are phenomenal. You will never find a better group of co-workers.
No 2 days are ever the same in the newspaper industry.
frusterating
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 21, 2017
arrive early set up table and more often then not waiting for the arrival of the trucks with the papers upon arrival of truck grab a paper truck dolly.take papers back to table place ads in paper and bag or tie papers for delivery load vehicle and then distribute
I only saw the end of the newspaper era
Key Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 6, 2017
Stressful times - cut backs, downsizing, ownership changed hands 3 times while I was there, they stopped printing in Akron, more layoffs. We did what we could with the resources we had.
Dying company
Employee (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 12, 2017
Just run. Dying company. Publisher is running it into the ground bringing on people he's worked with in the past. Circulation has gone down over the years, but their pricing has stayed the same. Which results in losing clients because they go with the competition that has lower rates and higher circulation. Stop saying "We're the Beacon Journal", look what it's done to you. Lay offs in waves. I've seen so many people get laid off in the last few years that there's about nobody left. Funny because they just laid off people, and promoted someone in advertising to a management role with a raise of around $10K, how's that fair when you're laying off people. The employees are good genuine people, but management doesn't see that. They play mind games, try to catch people in lies, and put fear in people. Overall just a horrible company to work for. Just. Run.
Pros
work-life balance
Cons
horrible benefits, bad leadership
The unknown is nerve racking.
Multimedia Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Akron, OhioJune 22, 2017
The actual job is not bad, but the culture is lacking. The lack of leadership in upper management is sad. Not sure when or if the newspaper may stop printing a daily paper is nerve racking.
Pros
Great co-workers.
Cons
Lack of leadership.
good people
Box Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 20, 2017
load truck from canton repository at 11pm and deliver papers to distribution points for drop off. I learned teamwork after it built up.
It was tough for the manager to manage ex- managers who were demoted. hardest part was waiting for the papers and then explain to the folks waiting why they were late. Men I worked with.
Pros
received pay on time
Cons
dying business
Terrible!
Level 1 Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 2, 2017
Its been quite a few years since I worker here but it was not an overall enjoyable experience. The work was terrible and sometimes you had to deal with the supervisors bad mood he would bring to work. I only enjoyed working with a handful of people. I was passed over for a promotion three time and all the people picked quit or got fired within a year.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Environment
great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 28, 2016
door to door sales, very high energy work environment.

I learned how to be very persistent and not take no for an answer.

Management was great always positive and willing to help you achieve your goals in the best and most efficient way possible

co-workers were competitive kept you on your game at all times.

Hardest part of this job would be the walking for long hours going door to door.

The best part of this job was the time flexibility and earning potential.
Pros
High energy
Cons
Walking long hours
Approximately 120 employees less in two and a half years
Advertising Inside Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 4, 2016
Terminations, outsourcing and employee resignations have decreased work force and increased job responsibilities, without compensation.
new paper
Mailroom to Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 16, 2016
not much to say , Not a great place to work now! started out good, but the change in management an owner shipped in when down hill fast
Dream job
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 15, 2016
Akron Beacon Journal is a great place to work. Great culture, great people, always willing to work hard to provide the best product possible.
N/a
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 18, 2016
I enjoyed working here. Good overall company and experience. I quit working here because I wanted an hourly wage that did not depend on commission.
Packaging is a fun and busy place
Mailer Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Akron, OH Packaging DeptJanuary 1, 2016
When production start off running smoothly and everyone is getting alone and the work day ends early because of a good run.
Pros
management is in a good mood
Cons
short lunch
Akron Beacon Journal
Multimedia Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Akron, OhioNovember 1, 2015
I learned all that I know while working at the company. My first manager was my greatest mentor and taught me so much about marketing and sales. The co-workers that I have worked with are some of the best I have ever worked with.
Pros
Great co-workers
crazy hours no day off
Independent contractor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 3, 2015
management is a joke, other than that it was awesome to drive around listen to music and toss papers. its in the middle of the night and 365 days a year even in a blizzard
Working door to door
independent sales agent (Former Employee) –  akron ohioSeptember 21, 2015
the team was all males, and being the only female i felt really uncomfortable. MY leader put me in a terrible location to walk around with a lady as young as me.
good job to have
Customer Service / Delivery (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHAugust 3, 2015
great pay good hours for some one who likes to get their job over in the morning and have the rest of the day to do what they need to do before going to work again.
Short hours
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 20, 2015
Perfect job to have while my kids were young I had all the perks of being a stay at home mom while working just a few hours a night while they were in bed!
Pros
Very short hours
Cons
Working 365 days a year
Nice Place to Work
District Manager - Circulation (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 18, 2015
Nice company to work for. The hours are difficult for someone young, but co-workers are nice and the company treats you well.
A daily & digital newspaper. Publishes the local and national news.
Direct Sales Assistant, Circulation Department (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 6, 2015
Company restructuring to enhance the production of the newspaper. They are streamlining the newspaper to upgrade the quality.