Akron Beacon Journal Employee Reviews

Terrible!
Level 1 Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 2, 2017
Its been quite a few years since I worker here but it was not an overall enjoyable experience. The work was terrible and sometimes you had to deal with the supervisors bad mood he would bring to work. I only enjoyed working with a handful of people. I was passed over for a promotion three time and all the people picked quit or got fired within a year.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Environment
Approximately 120 employees less in two and a half years
Advertising Inside Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 4, 2016
Terminations, outsourcing and employee resignations have decreased work force and increased job responsibilities, without compensation.
new paper
Mailroom to Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 16, 2016
not much to say , Not a great place to work now! started out good, but the change in management an owner shipped in when down hill fast
Dream job
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 15, 2016
Akron Beacon Journal is a great place to work. Great culture, great people, always willing to work hard to provide the best product possible.
N/a
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 18, 2016
I enjoyed working here. Good overall company and experience. I quit working here because I wanted an hourly wage that did not depend on commission.
Packaging is a fun and busy place
Mailer Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Akron, OH Packaging DeptJanuary 1, 2016
When production start off running smoothly and everyone is getting alone and the work day ends early because of a good run.
Pros
management is in a good mood
Cons
short lunch
Akron Beacon Journal
Multimedia Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Akron, OhioNovember 1, 2015
I learned all that I know while working at the company. My first manager was my greatest mentor and taught me so much about marketing and sales. The co-workers that I have worked with are some of the best I have ever worked with.
Pros
Great co-workers
crazy hours no day off
Independent contractor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 3, 2015
management is a joke, other than that it was awesome to drive around listen to music and toss papers. its in the middle of the night and 365 days a year even in a blizzard
Working door to door
independent sales agent (Former Employee) –  akron ohioSeptember 21, 2015
the team was all males, and being the only female i felt really uncomfortable. MY leader put me in a terrible location to walk around with a lady as young as me.
good job to have
Customer Service / Delivery (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHAugust 3, 2015
great pay good hours for some one who likes to get their job over in the morning and have the rest of the day to do what they need to do before going to work again.
Short hours
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 20, 2015
Perfect job to have while my kids were young I had all the perks of being a stay at home mom while working just a few hours a night while they were in bed!
Pros
Very short hours
Cons
Working 365 days a year
Nice Place to Work
District Manager - Circulation (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 18, 2015
Nice company to work for. The hours are difficult for someone young, but co-workers are nice and the company treats you well.
A daily & digital newspaper. Publishes the local and national news.
Direct Sales Assistant, Circulation Department (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 6, 2015
Company restructuring to enhance the production of the newspaper. They are streamlining the newspaper to upgrade the quality.
Great Part-Time Work
Sports Hencher (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 18, 2013
The job is very flexible and sports oriented. Great way to earn extra cash and have a full time job if you have the time available.
Delivered newspapers
newspaper Delivery (Former Employee) –  Green, OHNovember 8, 2013
management could of been better coworkers were friendly driving in the element i would say was the hardest part of job and other then management waned papers on time didn't care if you could drive though the snow or not some of the customers where horrible cause there papers would be late due to weather.
Pros
tips
Cons
driving elements
Decent company, but union work is tough
Single-copy (Former Employee) –  AkronAugust 9, 2013
Employees and Management were good, for the most part. Very thorough training and orientation to equipment and responsibilities. Clearly outlined expectations. The union mentality is hard to grasp and productivity and earnings would have both increased if the union didn't exist in the department.
Pros
Good management, fun work environment, fast-paced
Cons
Union, life-balance
Calm working environment
Classified Advertising Representative (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 30, 2013
This job was a independent job where we were required to meet daily quotas for placing ads in the local paper. Incentives were always on time in the weekly paycheck. Room for advancement within the obituary section of paper. Very effective managerial communication and requirements for the job.
Pros
Limited time for shift
Cons
N/A
productive
Independent contractor (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 25, 2013
very difficult but having no management while working makes it alot easier and workin 7 days a week becomes very tiresome over several years
Productive and fun workplace
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 6, 2013
I enjoyed the fast pace setting and got along with everyone.
Excellent Staff, outstanding commitment to journalism
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Akron newsroomAugust 22, 2012
Outstanding experience with all aspects of working in a news environment as a journalist. Photographing all types of folks in a variety of demographics. The staff was from the early days of journalism without any bias and looking at all subjects with the objectivity of well rounded reporters, writers and editors. Worked in a traditional darkroom. Developed film and spent time printing both color and black and white. Working within the time constraints of the analog newsroom further developed my ability to formulate a process and plan to getting timely news into the paper on a daily basis. The photo staff was an excellent place to learn about all the best approaches to photojournalism in the well-grounded very clear vision of an unbiased reporting staff.
Pros
integrity, commitment to the staff and overall values
Cons
sometimes we tried to be all things to all people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Akron Beacon Journal. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7