Akron Children's Hospital Employee Reviews

Constant turn over of employees
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Akron, OH 44306May 25, 2017
Very busy office. 2-3 nurses taking care of 50 patients a day, in a 6 doctor, two surgeon office. I loved the work and the patients. Much to learn, we had teaching classes once a month. Learning about cardiac diseases and EKG's.

Management is poor at best. Medical people with no management ability, which explains the turnover. She picked favorites, told me I worked to hard and to slow down, and let others hide out and not do their jobs.

Very diverse hospital.

The hardest part of the job was always being under the microscope. Other coworkers turning me in to manager for things that other coworkers stated they had done the same mistakes themselves.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the patients and their families.
Pros
Good Hospital for children
Cons
Very poor management
Productive work place with great staff
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 22, 2017
I really enjoyed working at Children's Hospital. I am unable to list all that I learned working at the hospital. It was a challenging but rewarding job. You felt like a valued member of a team. There are opportunities to grow withing the hospital as well.
Best Employer
RN (Current Employee) –  Boardman, OHApril 26, 2017
Akron Children's Hospital is by far the best employer I have ever had. This organization is top notch. They care about the employees and listen to our concerns and strive to provide the best service to our community's children and families.
Friendly employees
Quality Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 20, 2017
Friendly employees, and nice management. Look out for employees, and lots of opportunity for advancement. Encourage continuing education and will offer help with tuition.
Home child care
Home Health Aide - Sick Child Care (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 14, 2017
A typical day involves working out of the home of disabled children and also working at the Sick Child Care center. The hardest part of the job depends on the client, but the most enjoyable is helping children.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Some children have severe disabilities and are sad cases.
Enjoyable work envrionment
Student Internship (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 7, 2017
Able to learn something new every single day you show up to work. Always feel like you're on the go, but if you don't mind a fast paced work environment then you'll love it. Typically worked a 12 hour day. Something different each day.
High paced and fun environment to work in
General Xray Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 27, 2017
Akron Children's is a top notch hospital that does an exceptional job at taking care of children at all ages and stages of life. The staff is simply amazing as a parent/patient and as an employee. The hospital goes out of its way to ease parents minds in stressful situations along with calming scared little ones. The staff pulls together to work as a team to have procedures that can be time consuming go quickly, safely and effectively for the patient.
Really fun place to work
Surgical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 26, 2017
Wonderful place to work. Worked for a supportive manager who was interested in her staff and asked for input. My coworkers worked as a team throughout the day.
Great Hospital to work for
Operating Room Nurse (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 21, 2017
Akron Children's Hospital is a great hospital to work for. It is the first hospital I have been in where everyone is smiling and it seems that people actually enjoy working there. Great benefits.
Negative environment to work
Health Information Associate (Current Employee) –  Akron, OhMarch 20, 2017
It is an amazing place if your child needs help, but as for working there, it is a very negative environment between staff members. Lack of communications and everyone is always stressed. I thought it was going to be this amazing new beginning for my kids and I...I was wrong.
Great work place for those that need flexible schedules
Office Assistant, Full Time (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 16, 2017
Workplace culture is positive. The hardestt part is trying to advance from within. Management encourages to leave when looking to move upward. Lots of volunteer opportunities.
Positive and productive Place of employment
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Twinsburg, OHFebruary 9, 2017
A typical day at work would include rooming patients, administering immunizations, entering information into computer, helping out your co workers, stocking rooms, ordering supplies, cleaning rooms/lab/office/kitchen etc.
I learn new things everyday of different ways to do my job or helping others or helping the people/children that we care for daily.
The management is very helpful and plays a huge part in our team.
Workplace culture is very important here!
The hardest part of the job is when parents don't discipline their children and let them act however they want, talk back, spit or kick us etc. A lot of kids have zero respect for others and will be violent towards us...which makes this job very difficult.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when a parent or a patient is so thankful for us whether through a comment card, a hug, a smile or compliment. This is so encouraging to us!
Pros
Education reimbursement
Cons
Short staffed
I was a fine company to work with through Tenable
GREETER AT TENABLE PROTECTIVE SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 22, 2016
It was a pretty easy job. The hours stayed the same. I met a couple friends from there. Everyone was nice and easy going. A typical day included interacting with the public and making sure they were where they were supposed to be
Fun place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 21, 2016
Great place to work, great benefits and wonderful people are here and always willing to help you. The most rewarding part of my job their was seeing the children. They make coming to work truly enjoyable, also seeing the dogs. Very festive building all around during the holidays. A very welcoming environment. I would tell anyone to apply here, you wont be disappointed.
Stressful Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Akron,OhDecember 12, 2016
High turnover. Many employees have just over a year in experience. Lack of management and support High expectations, favoritism, and micromanaging in all departments. Many employees are unhappy and disgruntled, making the workplace a negative environment for everyone.
Cons
Management not qualified, favortism, earn paid time off but must be used for holidays and siick time
Great Employer
staff RN (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 10, 2016
Akron Children's Hospital was a great place to work at as RN. Great benefits and job/life balance. Lots are room for advancement.
Good place to work.
Patient Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Akron, OH 44308November 16, 2016
The care of children offers no other intrinsic value. Where else can you work that has children, and a doggie brigade at your place of work. The people are top notch, and all of them care about helping children. Many activities are planned with the employees in mind.
A fun, upbeat environment
Medical Assistant / Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 12, 2016
Working with sick children on a daily basis has it's pro's and cons. First children almost always trust you and do whatever it takes to get them feeling well again. Men and women that perform mental, physical, spiritual, or emotional care to the children and families are some of the best medical staff in the State. The hardest part of the job is loosing to an illness regardless of the measures taken to obtain quality of life. However, the greatest reward is the love and strength from patients and families alike.
Giving back to the community
RN for 23 bed inpatient unit (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 23, 2016
Working at Children's is a wonderful experience. Making a difference in the lives of children in my local community. Teamwork makes it enjoyable to work here, everyone is focused on providing excellent patient care.
Love working with kids
LPN (Former Employee) –  Alliance, OHAugust 23, 2016
I worked on an off site doctor's office for Akron Children's. They bought out the company I worked for. Overall I love working with kids. I bought decorations out of pocket to decorate the office and they allowed me to place fun wall stickers around the office for the children to enjoy. Most days I enjoyed going to work because who doesn't find the joy in a child's smile?
The company does pay it's employee's a fair wage and gives yearly raises. This company also will help you go back to school and helps pay for some of your education as long as you keep a certain GPA.
I enjoyed working for them. The only thing I can say bad about this company and it probably goes for any company today, is that if you have a chronic condition and your FMLA time runs out and your attendance had suffered d/t this issue. They will fire you. It doesn't matter if you're a good employee they just need you to be at work, which I suppose is understandable. Unfortunatly I have some chronic issues that are being resolved.
Otherwise great place to work, good benefits. LOVE THE KIDS!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Akron Children's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2