Akron General Medical Center Employee Reviews

Fun environment
Transporter (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 7, 2017
I deal with patients all day which is the most exciting part, cause you get to meet new people everyday. We have our slow days mainly on the weekends. But overall I love the environment
Pros
30 min/ lunches
Cons
15 min / breaks
Great environment and wonderful co-workers
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 21, 2017
A typical day at work is busy but you learn a lot on the job which is common in nursing. The director was very supportive and was always there if you needed an extra hand. The culture was wonderfully diverse and made for a great environment. The hardest part of the job was when a patient wasn't improving and had to be transferred, but the team was always helpful and supportive. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a great team to give the best care to the patients.
great place to work
Medical Coder (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 18, 2017
it was a nice place to work, i stayed their 20 years and only left because of rate of pay. i learned a lot in the Medical Record field and the culture at that time was diverse,
Pros
free lunch at time
n/a
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 12, 2017
This was a great place to work. You really feel valuable to the company. Great teamwork and management. You felt at home with the same friendly volunteer staff each day.
Good to be able to work for the clinic not so much, in certain departments
clinical staff (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 24, 2017
Unfortunately, I work in a department that is racist and does their absolute best to ruin the careers of even doctors. They have no respect for doctors or anyone in between. There is no "ladder" per say. The practice managers and office coordinators overstep doctors and NP's opinions each day, simply because they can. They have fired several doctors, so that doesn't give me hope or confidence in my position. The hardest part of the job is the lack or protocol and procedure.
Agmc
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 23, 2017
Great fast paced hospital environment. Great teamwork with staff and a skilled level 1 trauma center with awesome medical interns and Physicians.
Just over 12 years and I would just like to relocate to sunny and warmer climate.
Pros
compensation
Cons
stressful
dietary cook
Dietary Cook (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 17, 2017
that was in the past that i worked there, most enjoyable was people i worked with. hardes part was keeping up with things that needed to be cook and prep for next day
Pros
direct deposit day eairly
Cons
no smoking area, and if you had to be off for extended time no garentee about jod security
Well run facility
Surgical Services Pre Surgical Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 12, 2017
I enjoy working at Akron General. It is a fast paced environment that changes daily. It allows me to work independently, as well as with others. I enjoy the patient interaction, and the ability to utilize my skills.
Pros
positive environment
Cons
not full time
Summary
Cytotechnologist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 1, 2017
A very relaxed environment. Cooperation between departments. Support of main bosses. Pleasant working environment. Continuing education offered in house.
LOved it there
Senior Nurse Technician (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 19, 2017
They are very strict with policies. The staff and doctors are very nice and intelligent. I loved working with the kids. They are always expanding in locations
Pros
They truly save lives
Cons
Pay needs to be higher
To be a medical coder requires continual learning
Technician Coder (Current Employee) –  work from homeJuly 9, 2017
To be a medical coder requires continual learning; although this facility provides much of the research on the changes in the coding field along with helpful monthly coding Q&As.
Pros
work from home
Cons
do not like benefit packages since mostly based in Cleveland
An average place to work at best
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 28, 2017
I am grateful to AGMC for providing me the opportunity to get back into nursing after taking time off to raise my children.
I didn't think the staff was appreciated and the management was fair at best.
One of my least favorite positions I have had in all my years of Nursing.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Poor management, under appreciated staff
Enjoy working, educating, and helping people.
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 26, 2017
I have worked at this facility for over 16 years and I enjoy working with people from all walks of life. I love talking, listening, and sharing stories with my patients.
Company focus on health with a exercise room for staff.
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 29, 2017
Busy, how to organization your day, management supportive/education for the staff, co-workers cordial, SN sometimes 8 hr+ day, pt able to remain in home setting.
Pros
Various amounts of gift cards were given to retain nurses, paid hourly, overtime was available, on call was only one day not a whole week, nurses got paid mileage
Cons
Lots of paperwork
Productive and patient friendly workplace
Unit Secretary/Medical Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  one Akron General Way Akron, OhioMarch 15, 2017
I have nothing to say about Akron General Hospital. The hospital and most of its employees are professional and friendly. I have had for the most part a positive experience as an employee of Akron General Hospital. I would recommend this Hospital to anyone who has had or does have issues in health pertaining to Strokes. They are excellent in this Area of medicine.
Extremely busy and face paced hospital
RRT (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 25, 2017
You will learn a lot in this hospital. It is a very fast paced hospital that is a level one trauma center. The challenges here are having enough staff to cover the work load that is given to you on a daily basis. You cover so many areas that it is hard to get to everywhere you are needed on some days, but you do learn a lot. I know that patient satisfaction is a top priority at this hospital and with the new CEO I think things are looking up.
Pros
Working with excellent doctors and professionals who put their patients first.
Cons
staffing
Unit Secretary-Float (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 10, 2017
I worked here before it became Cleveland Clinic, Great Benefits, Easy to transfere to other departments. Managers were pleasent. They use to value their employees.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Pay was low
Great job alot of drama
Environmental services (utility Aide) (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 5, 2017
This job is perfect for the individual that stays to them self and focus on work only. The managers are very sloppy and unprofessional. The managers need to learn how to be more professional about things. Most managers there hold grudges
Pros
pay
Cons
drama
Productive and exciting work place
Environmental Services/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 17, 2017
Housekeeper versed in executing multiple tasks in a fast paced environment. Friendly and effective when working with a wide range of personalities. I'm also very dependable and always on time. I can pick up new tasks and concepts quickly while managing time effectively to achieve optimal results. Consistent and capable of taking initiative
Pros
3 lunch breaks
Cons
short breaks
Great place to work, made great friends, worked well as a group
Clerk-Technician (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 22, 2016
Most days were busy in the out-patient lab. Appointments were walk-ins and open on Saturdays a half day. Pre-surgical testing was all by appointment and you had to stay as close to schedules as possible without compromising patient care. Developed a good working relationship with the pre-surgical doctors. While the docs were talking to patients we could go in and get vitals and help make the patient feel comfortable. In the OR there was little patient contact, it was more behind the scenes making sure the operating rooms were running on schedule and everything was ready for the doctor before we would call them to the surgical room. Stay on top of charts after surgery to ensure the information got entered into the computer before getting backed-up.
I enjoyed meeting the patients and developing a friendship with the "regulars". The hardest part was when those patients were no longer coming in. Busy days were hard and could be stressful but we had to make sure we were providing the best care to the patients that we could.
Pros
Develop friendship with patients and co-workers, the hours worked perfect for my personal schedule
Cons
Quick breaks (patient care does not run on schedule) and could be stressful at times