AKRON PUBLIC SCHOOLS

AKRON PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

The Cultural Diversity was Superb!!!
Bilingual Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Akron, OHFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: on a different school everyday. and free training
Cons: no cons!!
Working with different cultures from all over the world and personalities was an experience that has no price. And the ability to receive tons of free training!!!
Exciting, great families
Secretary III (Current Employee), Akron, OHJanuary 22, 2015
I am at a smaller, if not, thee smallest elementary building in the Akron Public Schools system. I've gotten to know the kids, families and situations they are all in. Our building Principal is truly devoted to education and the kids, which makes it very easy to be, as well. I have never had one day that I was slow moving going into school. The most difficult part is usually making the phone calls to parents because their student has made a less than stellar decision and has landed themselves in the office for poor choices and behavior. I am also part of the PTA. I dress up for all of the holidays, participate in all of the functions and I make sure the kids know they can always come to me with anything that might be bothering them. It is essential to continue learning and know who you're dealing with.
Great Place to Work
Substitute Secretary (Current Employee), Akron, OHDecember 1, 2014
There are many work opportunities from filling in for a substitute to teacher and administration positions. Great staff at every school and building. Very friendly and family oriented
Working
Junior Varsity Girls Basketball Coach (Current Employee), Akron, OHOctober 5, 2014
Working with clients, enjoyed gym outing. Coworkers are great. Management is could be better.
I enjoyed working with people especially young people.
Security Guard (Current Employee), Akron, OHJune 16, 2014
Pros: working with young people
Cons: more hours.
II patroling the halls and talking with staff and students, I enjoyed the flexibiltiy. I have learned to effectively deal with young adults, my co-workers were very supportive and courteous and we worked as a team. The hardest part of my job was seeing and hearing some of the difficulties our young people face today. I truly enjoyed communicating with the students.
An excellent place to work because of the children.
Educational Assistant (Current Employee), Akron, OhioJune 1, 2014
Pros: being able to fulfill my true calling.
Cons: healthcare, permanancy
A typical day at work for me is to maintain the stability of the children by being the extra support that the Intervention Specialist needs.
The main thing is trying to keep the students on task, which can be quite challenging dealing with behavioral children. Management is good. I get along with most teachers, but there are some who are not as personable. Overall, I enjoy what I do regardless to the good days or rough ones.
A learning process
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee), Akron, OHMay 28, 2014
Pros: a great place to learn new things
Cons: the political structure is difficult to navigate.
APS provided me with my first experience of doing a self-contained ED classroom. It is here I fell in love with this population of students. I learned a lot about myself and my teaching style. I also learned how to navigate in a large urban school district. The district offered many opportunities for professional development and district level support.
Adventures of Subbing K-5
Long Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Akron, OHApril 3, 2014
Pros: no free lunches/ good colleagues.
Cons: no health benefits are job security as a sub
A typical day as a sub begins with roll call, pledge and given basic rules. Being a sub means you read lesson plans at warp speed and monitor classroom behavior, teach, correct inappropriate behaviors, answer the dire need for the restroom or instant bandaid calls, redirect student learning continually and follow all the content given in lessons prepared. The day ends with a note recording how the day went.
I learned that the best part of subbing is not taking home all the paperwork, however, I try to grade a ton to help give the teachers help.
Managaement of APS is been very professional and friendly over the years through phone calls, contacting the office when there is a mix up and all the school principals have been very great to work with and support the subs fully.
I love most of the coworkers I meet and as a sub floats around, It is nice to see the ones I haven't seen in a while when I come back.
The hardest part about being a sub is classroom management. There are many students who will try to rule the day and pool seat switching and simply not do work because they don't want to. I think the harder part is not knowing all of their abilities right up front, but I can soom get a glimpse by a half day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is students who love seeing you come back, and students who you have connected with and contributed to their learning.
It was the perfect place to work while my kids were young
Substitute Educational Assistant (Former Employee), Akron, OHJanuary 10, 2014
My typical day involved helping the teacher with all things related to running a special needs preschool classroom. I learned to work with the teacher, another assistant, and a group of intervention specialists in creating and implementing age/skill appropriate curriculum. My ideas and ambitions were met with enthusiasm among the group. Most of the students had pretty severe disabilities and were very difficult. Every now and again we would reach one in some profound way that would help them to have an easier life and that made it all worth it.
Productive workplace with friendly staff
Student Teacher (Current Employee), Akron, OHNovember 24, 2013
I am a student teacher so my overall picture of the Akron Public Schools is somewhat limited. The staff seemed friendly and the departments were well managed.
Very busy workplace
Student Services (Current Employee), Akron OhioOctober 13, 2013
I deal with kids at an alternative school, the learning there is more so hands on so the kids could learn it more easily. its an great environment to learn.
I just retired from APS after 29 years this year. I enjoyed every year.
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee), Akron, OHJuly 14, 2013
Pros: staff, kids, benefits and of course summers off. great place to work.
Cons: government intrusion. that is with schools all over usa.
I loved working for APS., and just retired after 29 years. The staff and kids are wonderful. My only con is the changes being made by the State and Federal governments. I would Like to return part -time in the fall.
Very productive workplace
Educational Assistant (Former Employee), Akron, OHJuly 1, 2013
Pros: healthcare and paid holidays
Cons: three months off during the summer without pay
A typical workday is very unpredictable and sometimes very challenging. I learned during my years of experience that every child is an individual that learn at their own pace. In order to manage the work environment I find that it takes a lot of structure and consistance. My co-workers are very instumental in offering good ideas for a more productive day. I would have to say that the hardest part of my job is when we have long breaks and the students spend time at home unlearning all of the valuable lessons that they have been taught. The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with the students when they are having a good day.
Productive workplace
Substitute Teacher/Intervention Specialist (Current Employee), Juvenile Detention CenterMay 21, 2013
Great place to gain experience and full of opportunity to help inner-city children and children of all cultures.
Educating youth is very rewarding.
Welding Technology Teacher (Current Employee), Akron, OhioMarch 11, 2013
If not for the federal and state governments intruding in the classroom, this would be the perfect job. Teaching is quickly becoming second chair to politics in the education system.
I did not have a wonderful experience at APS
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee), Akron, OhMarch 8, 2013
Pros: great job security
Cons: navigating the politics
I struggled in APS. It wasn't a good fit I struggled navigating the political scene and they struggled understanding my non-conventional approach towards teaching.
Very flexible work place
Technology Specialist (Current Employee), Akron, OHNovember 5, 2012
Very flexible, but like all government very wasteful of money. Very mismanaged.
No steady scheduling.
Elementary Substitute School Teacher (Former Employee), Akron, OHOctober 17, 2012
Work was fun, exciting, innovating, and educational but the work hours were not consistent.
Teaching in the intercity
Teacher assistant k (Former Employee), Akron, OHJune 24, 2012
I worked in another teachers classroom . I worked in the dollhouse course helping the kids lacking skills. I did all the testing for the kids that tested low. I enjoyed my time in her classroom and she made me feel welcome. I went on her home visits with her. That was an eye opener.
High Energy and Fast Paced.
Substitute Teacher K-3 (Former Employee), Akron, OhioMarch 8, 2012
Pros: off at 3 in the afternoon
Cons: benefits.
Larger school district than my previous employer. More students per classroom.

AKRON PUBLIC SCHOOLS Salaries