AKRON PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

Working as a as needed Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 27, 2015
Very good for a retiree, would not recommend for a career. Students are fun to work with but you will only spend very little time with them.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
No Money or work in the summer
Excellent work environment.
Student Services Team Member (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 28, 2015
I really enjoyed encouraging the youth.

Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is an evidence-based, data-driven framework proven to reduce disciplinary incidents, increase a school’s sense of safety and support improved academic outcomes. More than 19,000 U.S. schools are implementing PBIS and saving countless instructional hours otherwise lost to discipline. The premise of PBIS is that continual teaching, combined with acknowledgement or feedback of positive student behavior will reduce unnecessary discipline and promote a climate of greater productivity, safety and learning. PBIS schools apply a multi-tiered approach to prevention, using disciplinary data and principles of behavior analysis to develop school-wide, targeted and individualized interventions and supports to improve school climate for all students.

(OSEP Technical Assistance Center on Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports, 2009)
Pros
The children.
Cons
The politics and immature gossip.
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 25, 2015
The Akron Public Schools is a very nice career orientated place to work. There are many opportunities for advancement. It is not who you know but what you know. The Civil service gives everyone a truly equal opportunity for employment. This is the best job I have ever had.
Pros
Great health care and great retirement plan
Rewarding
Security Guard Officer (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 7, 2015
Thumbs up. Rewarding Challenging and Exciting. Not for everyone.
Good Retirement, Excellent Pay. Summers, holidays, in climate weather off. Recomend
Productive work environment
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 29, 2015
Akron Public Schools provides a positive experience for staff, and students combined. The teachers and students are encouraged to try their best. I have learned of leaders in the field of education, who have investigated various degrees of learning. The co-workers are supportive. Personally, for myself, the lack of income during the summer is a struggle. I enjoy the children. I enjoy watching them learn, and express a curiosity in what they are learning. During choice time, you'll often hear and observe cute interactions among the children.
Pros
Professional development Workshops
Cons
lack of a summer income
The Cultural Diversity was Superb!!!
Bilingual Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 25, 2015
Working with different cultures from all over the world and personalities was an experience that has no price. And the ability to receive tons of free training!!!
Pros
on a different school everyday. and free training
Cons
no cons!!
Exciting, great families
Secretary III (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 22, 2015
I am at a smaller, if not, thee smallest elementary building in the Akron Public Schools system. I've gotten to know the kids, families and situations they are all in. Our building Principal is truly devoted to education and the kids, which makes it very easy to be, as well. I have never had one day that I was slow moving going into school. The most difficult part is usually making the phone calls to parents because their student has made a less than stellar decision and has landed themselves in the office for poor choices and behavior. I am also part of the PTA. I dress up for all of the holidays, participate in all of the functions and I make sure the kids know they can always come to me with anything that might be bothering them. It is essential to continue learning and know who you're dealing with.
Great Place to Work
Substitute Secretary (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 1, 2014
There are many work opportunities from filling in for a substitute to teacher and administration positions. Great staff at every school and building. Very friendly and family oriented
Working
Junior Varsity Girls Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 5, 2014
Working with clients, enjoyed gym outing. Coworkers are great. Management is could be better.
I enjoyed working with people especially young people.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 16, 2014
II patroling the halls and talking with staff and students, I enjoyed the flexibiltiy. I have learned to effectively deal with young adults, my co-workers were very supportive and courteous and we worked as a team. The hardest part of my job was seeing and hearing some of the difficulties our young people face today. I truly enjoyed communicating with the students.
Pros
working with young people
Cons
more hours.
An excellent place to work because of the children.
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OhioJune 1, 2014
A typical day at work for me is to maintain the stability of the children by being the extra support that the Intervention Specialist needs.
The main thing is trying to keep the students on task, which can be quite challenging dealing with behavioral children. Management is good. I get along with most teachers, but there are some who are not as personable. Overall, I enjoy what I do regardless to the good days or rough ones.
Pros
being able to fulfill my true calling.
Cons
healthcare, permanancy
A learning process
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 28, 2014
APS provided me with my first experience of doing a self-contained ED classroom. It is here I fell in love with this population of students. I learned a lot about myself and my teaching style. I also learned how to navigate in a large urban school district. The district offered many opportunities for professional development and district level support.
Pros
a great place to learn new things
Cons
the political structure is difficult to navigate.
Adventures of Subbing K-5
Long Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 3, 2014
A typical day as a sub begins with roll call, pledge and given basic rules. Being a sub means you read lesson plans at warp speed and monitor classroom behavior, teach, correct inappropriate behaviors, answer the dire need for the restroom or instant bandaid calls, redirect student learning continually and follow all the content given in lessons prepared. The day ends with a note recording how the day went.
I learned that the best part of subbing is not taking home all the paperwork, however, I try to grade a ton to help give the teachers help.
Managaement of APS is been very professional and friendly over the years through phone calls, contacting the office when there is a mix up and all the school principals have been very great to work with and support the subs fully.
I love most of the coworkers I meet and as a sub floats around, It is nice to see the ones I haven't seen in a while when I come back.
The hardest part about being a sub is classroom management. There are many students who will try to rule the day and pool seat switching and simply not do work because they don't want to. I think the harder part is not knowing all of their abilities right up front, but I can soom get a glimpse by a half day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is students who love seeing you come back, and students who you have connected with and contributed to their learning.
Pros
no free lunches/ good colleagues.
Cons
no health benefits are job security as a sub
It was the perfect place to work while my kids were young
Substitute Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 10, 2014
My typical day involved helping the teacher with all things related to running a special needs preschool classroom. I learned to work with the teacher, another assistant, and a group of intervention specialists in creating and implementing age/skill appropriate curriculum. My ideas and ambitions were met with enthusiasm among the group. Most of the students had pretty severe disabilities and were very difficult. Every now and again we would reach one in some profound way that would help them to have an easier life and that made it all worth it.
Productive workplace with friendly staff
Student Teacher (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 24, 2013
I am a student teacher so my overall picture of the Akron Public Schools is somewhat limited. The staff seemed friendly and the departments were well managed.
Very busy workplace
Student Services (Current Employee) –  Akron OhioOctober 13, 2013
I deal with kids at an alternative school, the learning there is more so hands on so the kids could learn it more easily. its an great environment to learn.
I just retired from APS after 29 years this year. I enjoyed every year.
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 14, 2013
I loved working for APS., and just retired after 29 years. The staff and kids are wonderful. My only con is the changes being made by the State and Federal governments. I would Like to return part -time in the fall.
Pros
staff, kids, benefits and of course summers off. great place to work.
Cons
government intrusion. that is with schools all over usa.
Very productive workplace
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 1, 2013
A typical workday is very unpredictable and sometimes very challenging. I learned during my years of experience that every child is an individual that learn at their own pace. In order to manage the work environment I find that it takes a lot of structure and consistance. My co-workers are very instumental in offering good ideas for a more productive day. I would have to say that the hardest part of my job is when we have long breaks and the students spend time at home unlearning all of the valuable lessons that they have been taught. The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with the students when they are having a good day.
Pros
healthcare and paid holidays
Cons
three months off during the summer without pay
Productive workplace
Substitute Teacher/Intervention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Juvenile Detention CenterMay 21, 2013
Great place to gain experience and full of opportunity to help inner-city children and children of all cultures.
Educating youth is very rewarding.
Welding Technology Teacher (Current Employee) –  Akron, OhioMarch 11, 2013
If not for the federal and state governments intruding in the classroom, this would be the perfect job. Teaching is quickly becoming second chair to politics in the education system.