AKRON PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

Dynamic environment
Substitute Teacher/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Akron, OhioApril 9, 2016
As a substitute teacher you have to be an impromptu and flexible person. Using your positive and charismatic personality to convince the students to do the work provided for the day helps you to improve in effective communication skills. It is usually not what you say it is how you say it. Misbehavior is the most challenging hindrance during a days work and mentally wears you down. But the utilization of the Principal, rules, policies and staff within the building will provide you the support you need. Although this is a challenging job, I always look back at my success of the days and my failures during the day and resolve to learn from it and improve from it. I love this job in that you experience meeting all kinds of situations and people. Your critical thinking skills are utilized all day. It is an ever changing environment to work in.
Pros
you can work everyday or take a day off
Cons
no benefits and no summer job
I have enjoyed working and help develop the young minds I encounter
SPED Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OhioMay 21, 2016
My day can be intense because of behavior issues that I encounter. No day is boring, because each day has now problems or excitements. I have learned that children will love you, when they know you love and care about them. Classroom management can be difficult when children get angry, but there is a point that they will tire out and we can talk and still have a good day. This job can only be successful if the teachers work as a team. the hardest part of the day is when a child refuses to listen to redirection or attempt counselling techniques suggested. The most enjoyable part of the day is when the children get along with each other. When they reach their goal for the day everyone leaves happy and successful. When we taught a lesson and the children actually prove what they have learned in discussion and on tests.
Pros
Our school environment reflects how we care about the kids., Loving and caring.
Cons
When children have outburst and cannot or will not gain control with supports and help.
Low income public school
Full-Time Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 22, 2016
This school should employ more positive teachers. Students are excited to learn if you are excited about teaching. Teaching day lasts until 3:30pm.
I just retired from APS after 29 years this year. I enjoyed every year.
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 14, 2013
I loved working for APS., and just retired after 29 years. The staff and kids are wonderful. My only con is the changes being made by the State and Federal governments. I would Like to return part -time in the fall.
Pros
Staff, kids, benefits and of course summers off. Great place to work.
Cons
Government intrusion. That is with schools all over USA.
Adventures of Subbing K-5
Long Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 3, 2014
A typical day as a sub begins with roll call, pledge and given basic rules. Being a sub means you read lesson plans at warp speed and monitor classroom behavior, teach, correct inappropriate behaviors, answer the dire need for the restroom or instant bandaid calls, redirect student learning continually and follow all the content given in lessons prepared. The day ends with a note recording how the day went.
I learned that the best part of subbing is not taking home all the paperwork, however, I try to grade a ton to help give the teachers help.
Managaement of APS is been very professional and friendly over the years through phone calls, contacting the office when there is a mix up and all the school principals have been very great to work with and support the subs fully.
I love most of the coworkers I meet and as a sub floats around, It is nice to see the ones I haven't seen in a while when I come back.
The hardest part about being a sub is classroom management. There are many students who will try to rule the day and pool seat switching and simply not do work because they don't want to. I think the harder part is not knowing all of their abilities right up front, but I can soom get a glimpse by a half day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is students who love seeing you come back, and students who you have connected with and contributed to their learning.
Pros
no free lunches/ good colleagues.
Cons
no health benefits are job security as a sub
High Energy and Fast Paced.
Substitute Teacher K-3 (Former Employee) –  Akron, OhioMarch 8, 2012
Larger school district than my previous employer. More students per classroom.
Pros
off at 3 in the afternoon
Cons
benefits.
Productive and fun
part time (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 14, 2015
A typical day consists of my classes mixed in with a little bit of interaction with my fellow piers. I learned how to talk to more people. It also helped me to develop better speaking skills.Management is great they treat us so well. There isn't any hard parts to this job. The most enjoyable part is knowing that I'm the voice that everyone hears to start their day.
Pros
free lunch
poor leadership
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 13, 2016
Keep searching for another job.While the pay is good, building principals are terrible. Too many meeting that are useless.
Pros
pay
Cons
poor leadership
Excellent work environment.
Student Services Team Member (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 28, 2015
I really enjoyed encouraging the youth.

Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is an evidence-based, data-driven framework proven to reduce disciplinary incidents, increase a school’s sense of safety and support improved academic outcomes. More than 19,000 U.S. schools are implementing PBIS and saving countless instructional hours otherwise lost to discipline. The premise of PBIS is that continual teaching, combined with acknowledgement or feedback of positive student behavior will reduce unnecessary discipline and promote a climate of greater productivity, safety and learning. PBIS schools apply a multi-tiered approach to prevention, using disciplinary data and principles of behavior analysis to develop school-wide, targeted and individualized interventions and supports to improve school climate for all students.

(OSEP Technical Assistance Center on Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports, 2009)
Pros
The children.
Cons
The politics and immature gossip.
Working as a as needed Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 27, 2015
Very good for a retiree, would not recommend for a career. Students are fun to work with but you will only spend very little time with them.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
No Money or work in the summer
SOAR Program
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 22, 2016
Excellent program!

Excellent Staff that works well with the students to help make a difference!

Great support from all co-workers and staff that allow teachers to do their job to the highest level.
Elementary Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 7, 2016
My day begins with a door greeting and a smile reassuring the students that they will have a very good day with me as their substitute teacher. The days schedule is posted on the board so they can silently see the expectations and specials for that day. There is seat work already put at each desk so they may get right to work and settle in for their day. The lunch count is taken with attendance. Students usually ask questions about where their teacher is and extend sadness that they are gone. The substitute reassures them they will return soon.
Lessons begin for the day usually including language arts, special reading groups, math, science, specials that include PE, Music, Art, Library or Computer Lab and lunch with recess. Some of the older students switch classrooms in the upper grades and have different teachers for science, math or language arts.
Behavior is sometimes an issue during transitions or even quiet work. Positive reinforcement and positive redirection helps to keep the class in working mode. If a students needs to be on "reset" the classroom teacher may set them off to the side or send them to a "buddy" room to think about positive behavior. Consequences fit the offense and is usually minor.
The end of the day is a "wind down" of activities. An exercise in a quiet activity to cleaning the room and dismissal conclude the day. Safety is the utmost importance is getting the students to after-school activities, busses, walkers and ride to their destinations.
A teacher wears many hats during the day. They need to be good listeners, observers, monitors, counselors,
  more... organizers and safety captains while they teach new information. It is the job of the teacher to be responsible for each student.  less
Pros
Excellant idea to feed the children for body and brain power.
Cons
The schools do not make their own lunches. They are always brought in by bulk.
An excellent place to work because of the children.
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OhioJune 1, 2014
A typical day at work for me is to maintain the stability of the children by being the extra support that the Intervention Specialist needs.
The main thing is trying to keep the students on task, which can be quite challenging dealing with behavioral children. Management is good. I get along with most teachers, but there are some who are not as personable. Overall, I enjoy what I do regardless to the good days or rough ones.
Pros
Being able to fulfill my true calling.
Cons
healthcare, permanancy
Exciting, great families
Secretary III (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 22, 2015
I am at a smaller, if not, thee smallest elementary building in the Akron Public Schools system. I've gotten to know the kids, families and situations they are all in. Our building Principal is truly devoted to education and the kids, which makes it very easy to be, as well. I have never had one day that I was slow moving going into school. The most difficult part is usually making the phone calls to parents because their student has made a less than stellar decision and has landed themselves in the office for poor choices and behavior. I am also part of the PTA. I dress up for all of the holidays, participate in all of the functions and I make sure the kids know they can always come to me with anything that might be bothering them. It is essential to continue learning and know who you're dealing with.
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 25, 2015
The Akron Public Schools is a very nice career orientated place to work. There are many opportunities for advancement. It is not who you know but what you know. The Civil service gives everyone a truly equal opportunity for employment. This is the best job I have ever had.
Pros
Great health care and great retirement plan
Productive work environment
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 29, 2015
Akron Public Schools provides a positive experience for staff, and students combined. The teachers and students are encouraged to try their best. I have learned of leaders in the field of education, who have investigated various degrees of learning. The co-workers are supportive. Personally, for myself, the lack of income during the summer is a struggle. I enjoy the children. I enjoy watching them learn, and express a curiosity in what they are learning. During choice time, you'll often hear and observe cute interactions among the children.
Pros
Professional development Workshops
Cons
lack of a summer income
Very productive workplace
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 1, 2013
A typical workday is very unpredictable and sometimes very challenging. I learned during my years of experience that every child is an individual that learn at their own pace. In order to manage the work environment I find that it takes a lot of structure and consistance. My co-workers are very instumental in offering good ideas for a more productive day. I would have to say that the hardest part of my job is when we have long breaks and the students spend time at home unlearning all of the valuable lessons that they have been taught. The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with the students when they are having a good day.
Pros
healthcare and paid holidays
Cons
three months off during the summer without pay
I did not have a wonderful experience at APS
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OhMarch 8, 2013
I struggled in APS. It wasn't a good fit I struggled navigating the political scene and they struggled understanding my non-conventional approach towards teaching.
Pros
great job security
Cons
navigating the politics
It was the perfect place to work while my kids were young
Substitute Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 10, 2014
My typical day involved helping the teacher with all things related to running a special needs preschool classroom. I learned to work with the teacher, another assistant, and a group of intervention specialists in creating and implementing age/skill appropriate curriculum. My ideas and ambitions were met with enthusiasm among the group. Most of the students had pretty severe disabilities and were very difficult. Every now and again we would reach one in some profound way that would help them to have an easier life and that made it all worth it.
A learning process
Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 28, 2014
APS provided me with my first experience of doing a self-contained ED classroom. It is here I fell in love with this population of students. I learned a lot about myself and my teaching style. I also learned how to navigate in a large urban school district. The district offered many opportunities for professional development and district level support.
Pros
A great place to learn new things
Cons
The political structure is difficult to navigate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AKRON PUBLIC SCHOOLS. Our community is ready to answer.

AKRON PUBLIC SCHOOLS Reviews by Location