Akzo Nobel

Akzo Nobel Employee Reviews

Good pay and benefits, but adjust your social and family life.
Quality Control/ Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCMay 21, 2014
I worked in the analytical lab at Akzo Nobel for 8 years. I started out as a temp for 4 months then became a permanent hire. Its a fast paced environment and you are expected to show that you can keep up the first the day, even while training. However, there are some down days and you are able to slow down, but not sit still. The management and co-workers have a high turn-over, partly due to upper management difficulties or the swing shift. Adjusting to the swing shift maybe hard for some people to get used to, its really a life-style changer. The lab and the plant personnel are on different types of rotating schedules, so you get to meet a different crew every time you return. Akzo try to show their appreciation for their employees, with cook-outs and incentives, so its not all that bad. Its your attitude and how you look at it. I learned how to use most of the instrumentation, which makes the job easier because it makes you a more valuable employee. Take advantage of the training offered. I also learned about occupational and chemical safety. There are required monthly safety meetings and you learn a lot. Trust me you want to learn about safety at a chemical plant ! I really enjoyed working with my co-workers, spending that amount of time with someone makes them feel like family.
Pros
good benefits, very safety oriented
Cons
swing shift, chemical smells, poor mangagement
Challenging and a high degree of stress
Senior Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Strongsville, OHApril 15, 2013
Each and every day was a challenge that I embraced as there were no processes/guidelines or job description for what I was hired for. It was basically, starting out from scratch with the opportunity to put my processes and thought into managing a sound fleet of over 1000 vehicles.
In addition to fleet, I was also responsible for price changes that were performed in SAP, as well as providing payment information to vendors and training for our store managers when it came to ordering via the SRM tool.
The most difficult job I encountered was that there was a lack of communication even within the department. It was everyone for themselves so there was a lot of tasks that were duplicated instead of sharing the knowledge. Many things were implemented that I ended up cleaning up instead of being asked since I was the person dealing with it on a day to day basis. This was very frustating.
I truly enjoyed dealing with everyone in the field in regards to their vehicle and maintenance so they were able to devote more time into selling the materials, rather than dealing with the vendor. I also enjoyed working with many of our vendors that unfortunately were not paid in a timely manner as we switched systems from an old legacy systems to SAP.
Pros
learning on the fly
Cons
lack of communication
Fast paced, challenging, rewarding,,,
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJune 4, 2015
Typical day starts at 6 A.M., checking EMAILS concerning inventory issues from off shift, rectify as needed. Check with color build unit (CBU) for inventory needs, make all transfers, physically and systematically. Check automatic dispensing unit (ADU) levels, physically and systematically move all materials needed. Once all CBU needs are met, off to the distribution center for cycle counts, home location managing, consolidations, shipping error rectification, periodically checking EMAILS for other department ( CBU, QC, plant, staging, pilot,R&D ) needs.After lunch check with CBU for material needed for the next 2 shifts.

What I learned: Independence, proactive approach, many SAP system movements from department to department, plant to plant. Many different department operations.

Management: supportive

Co Workers: Team atmosphere, always ready to help.

Hardest part of my job: Balancing all above duties, making sure all needs are met.

Most enjoyable part of my day: Contact with different department co workers, personalities and the daily challenges each day brought.
Pros
always busy, always something to do
Cons
locating machines and equipment for physical transfers.
EKA Chemicals division focuses on bleaching chemicals & colloidal silica.
Customer Focus Engineeer (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GASeptember 9, 2013
Eka Division of Akzo provodes a good living.
Eka has high focus on low cost production.
The culture is Euro/Canadian-centric, generally with high-quality and with pleasant demeanor.

Colloidal silica production mostly goes largely to the paper industry with also a lucrative niche supplying to suppliers to the electronics industry. The high EOL quality standards needed for the electronics industry contrast with wider EOL production windows for less sensitive industries. Electronics customers need more attention.

Worldwide production and distribution of P&P and colloidal silica products allows for travel to interesting places for the appropriate personnel.
Pros
good benefits, interesting people and travel opportunities.
Fun workplace with rigorous hours with metal coatings.
Quality Control Part Time Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 31, 2015
-A typical day at work was in the Quality Control lab where i tested paint by drawing it down on different types of metal comparable to what our customer would use.
- Tested properties such as paint color, viscosity, durability, and film thickness.
-I learned what it was like to work in an industrial production setting.
- Management were nice but not good communicators or motivators.
- Co-workers were very nice people that could help me with any questions I had.
- Hardest part of the job was making adjustments on the paint that would come in out of spec.
- The most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere of the lab. Everyone was friendly and helpful.
Pros
All people i worked with were nice and helpful
Cons
Communication was poor. Worked 6-7 days a week.
• Checking buildings insuring that there are no fires or no chemical spills on the floors. • Signing in and out trucks and sending them to their desig
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCAugust 11, 2014
• Signing in and out trucks and sending them to their designated areas.
• Signing in and out tankers and weighting in and out tankers.
• Signing in and out visitors and sending them to their designated areas.
• Insuring that Akzo Nobel personnel are practice safety at all times and wearing the proper equipment.
• Daily rounds for security for all nine building.
• In charge of all paperwork, files and inventory, also daily reports, etc.
• Controlling waste and tanker and truck.
• Operate a switch board and page also Akzo Nobel employee,
well organized good peole and fun work environment
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Hudson, OHDecember 29, 2013
Days average 10 hours. Began with meeting with manufacturing/ distribution and production planning to review daily plan.
I learned to be highly alert to all operational issues and flexible in changing departmental priorities to meet customer demand.
All my coworkers new their jobs well and worked well to do what it took to get thing done. Hardest part of the job was dealing with late inbound material deliveries and having freight carriers meet customer delivery times.
The most enjoyable was the open door style management had with all employees and at the end of the day we got things done.
Great work/life balance
Distribution Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Union, NJJanuary 20, 2015
Working at Akzo sure was challenging but I enjoyed it thoroughly. The thing I loved the most about working at Akzo is that I did not have to bring my work home. Great work/life balance! Management was great, respectful, considerate and always showed that they cared about their employees. Co-workers were very willing to help out at all times. Great team work culture.

The hardest part of the job was having to deal with incorrect transportation information on the MSDS's.
Pros
great management team
Cons
being that sight was small and employees stayed with the company for a long time, not much room to move up.
Excellent high performance coatings company with worldwide affiliations.
Sales & sales management (Former Employee) –  Atlanta GA primary, Sassenheim, ZHAugust 22, 2015
Typical of a European company, Akzo Nobel concentrates on involving their personnel across many disciplines, including administration, sales, inventory control, product development and marketing, laboratory evaluation of product development and many other areas.

Akzo-Nobel was a marvelous place to work, as their management were strongly supportive of individual as well as team efforts.
Pros
Use of company car personally
Cons
Extensive travel
Akzo Nobel was a interesting and exciting place.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Huron, OHNovember 25, 2013
.I learned how to work well independently and multi task.I also learned how to take on a leadership role ..We rarely had a supervisor so i made a lot of executive decisions on my own.My co -workers were awesome they were all team players always willing to help out.The hardest part of the job was busy season when i worked a lot hours and was away from my children.The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a great crew..
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short lunch breaks
A lot of emphasis put safety and thats always good.
Batch Maker (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCOctober 7, 2015
Made Catalyst batches. Handled corrosive material. wore proper safety equipment. Operated forklift to gather materials needed to make batches, read batch ticket first to ensure the correct materials were used and correct quantity was added. Went through the most detailed forklift training ever lasted a day and a half. Also had to fill off batches that made it through QC.
Pros
Good people to work with.
Cons
diddnt like some of the mandatory overtime.
Great Job
PRODUCTION OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXAugust 18, 2015
A typical day consisted of packaging products & prepping them for shipping. I learned how to operate equipment that was used for producing the company's product. Co-workers were great and very knowledable. I never had any problems with any of my fellow co-workers. The hardest part of the job was not being able to work overtime more often as I wanted too. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work and network with fellow co-workers.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Low Pay
Overall
Lab technician level 3 (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILJune 14, 2014
Overall, the aerospace division I was in was BOOMING. That is because we had a GM that knew his stuff. The benefit package and insurance, the atmosphere was excellent. It was easy to move up; there are plenty of opportunity to do so. I could see myself working there until retirement.
Pros
casual, but very professional atmosphere, you get the feeling that, also higher management was very easy to talk to.
Cons
the r&d lab i was working in was relocated to another state.
Toxic Wok Environment
Production planner (Former Employee) –  pasadena, txOctober 21, 2015
frequent harassment from management and overall environment was toxic to mental health. A blame game among managers who are not interested in continuous improvement. Not worth the money they pay. Quick to blame and fire in order to protect management. Management fosters a negative work environment which is not productive and creates a host work environment. Very high employee turnover.
Pros
pay
Cons
hostile work environment
Great atmosphere and great people to work with. Very safety oriented.
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 25, 2012
Akzo Nobel was a great place to work. They were very safety oriented and you felt like the management and everyone else there cared about you and your safety. It was a very laid back place to work and they let you do your job without standing over your shoulder trying to micro manage you.
Pros
it was a laid back work enviroment
Cons
it was hot in summer and cold in winter
AkzoNobel is a multi-national manufacturing corporation, active in healthcare, coatings and chemicals.
Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tarrytown, NYMay 19, 2015
AN headquartered in Amsterdam, employees 47,000 people in 80 countries. Constantly ranked as a top leader in the area of sustainability. They offer good benefits and educational opportunities. They are committed to their customers and clients.
Pros
Excellent training and education availability
Interesting Work Place
HRSSC Representative - Contractor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2016
I found the HRSSC to be very unorganized and chaotic. The culture on the particular team was very unprofessional and they used swear words like crazy. I was surprised at the lack of accountabiltiy there. I was also surprised that there are more contractors verses actual employees. That was a red flag to me.
Pros
Food provided almost everyday
Cons
Very unorganized
Big company with small company feel
Exposure Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 5, 2014
This was my first big job and I advanced to a mid level managers position in roughly 5 years managing a small lab. I accomplished with an associates degree and hard work

Sadly I'm told that the company has made a great deal of change since my time
Pros
family atmosphere, flexability with time, advance ment, benefits, free thinking
Cons
pay
Good place to work with good culture.
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  LaPorte, TXAugust 21, 2015
My first extended experience in Process Operations was with this company. They are a Dutch owned corporation with a different culture than what I experienced in later years of my career. The management here treated hourly and salaried employees with equal respect. Refreshing!
Pros
Work culture; freebies
Cons
Allowed me to gain the knowledge necessary as an ABAP Programmer
SAP ABAP Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 13, 2014
Work requests would be supplied to me through the Help Desk System with the details necessary to accomplish the task. Also worked with Module Managers who made themselves available to assist in any possible missing details.
Pros
working with the local module managers