Akzo Nobel Employee Reviews

no room for advancement
Controls technician (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Made good friends with co workers, management didnt really care about employees. hardest part about working there was going into work everyday
Great place to be employed
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2016
Akzo Nobel is a great community. You feel at home and happy. Close friends will be made. This is a happy all together family/professional relationships.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
N/A
Interesting Work Place
HRSSC Representative - Contractor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2016
I found the HRSSC to be very unorganized and chaotic. The culture on the particular team was very unprofessional and they used swear words like crazy. I was surprised at the lack of accountabiltiy there. I was also surprised that there are more contractors verses actual employees. That was a red flag to me.
Pros
Food provided almost everyday
Cons
Very unorganized
Fast Paste and Detailed Oreinted
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCNovember 4, 2015
fast paste to get raw material received in and also put away. Also put away, pulled finished material on a daily bases to fill customers orders.
Toxic Wok Environment
Production planner (Former Employee) –  pasadena, txOctober 21, 2015
frequent harassment from management and overall environment was toxic to mental health. A blame game among managers who are not interested in continuous improvement. Not worth the money they pay. Quick to blame and fire in order to protect management. Management fosters a negative work environment which is not productive and creates a host work environment. Very high employee turnover.
Pros
pay
Cons
hostile work environment
Good research
Section Head (Former Employee) –  Dobbsferry NYOctober 15, 2015
Wa s a good company when I was there - that was too long agao to make any comments regarding current activities of the company.
Pros
good in surfactants
Cons
poor in end use applications
A lot of emphasis put safety and thats always good.
Batch Maker (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCOctober 7, 2015
Made Catalyst batches. Handled corrosive material. wore proper safety equipment. Operated forklift to gather materials needed to make batches, read batch ticket first to ensure the correct materials were used and correct quantity was added. Went through the most detailed forklift training ever lasted a day and a half. Also had to fill off batches that made it through QC.
Pros
Good people to work with.
Cons
diddnt like some of the mandatory overtime.
Good at the time
Technical Director (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAOctober 7, 2015
Over the years Akzo Nobel has had its ups and downs. It is much stronger in the foreign markets especially in Asia. My time at Akzo was rewarding. I learned a lot about their approach to serving customer needs.
Pros
State of the art facilities
Cons
Unable to make it in all areas of the US marketplace
Upbeat Comapny with many resources
Sr. Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Waukesha WIOctober 5, 2015
Super strong company, great product line, knowledgeable team with very good manufacturing, management was in reading PA, no advancement without location
Average place to work
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, IlOctober 3, 2015
Not good, Did not feel was up to my standards. To much favoritism, to many accidents were happening and I was worried about my safety.
Productive and fun workplace.
Specialty Plastics R&D Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILSeptember 3, 2015
Division relocated to East Coast and relocation was not offered. :(
Offered wonderful severance and 6 week career training program.
Excellent high performance coatings company with worldwide affiliations.
Sales & sales management (Former Employee) –  Atlanta GA primary, Sassenheim, ZHAugust 22, 2015
Typical of a European company, Akzo Nobel concentrates on involving their personnel across many disciplines, including administration, sales, inventory control, product development and marketing, laboratory evaluation of product development and many other areas.

Akzo-Nobel was a marvelous place to work, as their management were strongly supportive of individual as well as team efforts.
Pros
Use of company car personally
Cons
Extensive travel
Good place to work with good culture.
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  LaPorte, TXAugust 21, 2015
My first extended experience in Process Operations was with this company. They are a Dutch owned corporation with a different culture than what I experienced in later years of my career. The management here treated hourly and salaried employees with equal respect. Refreshing!
Pros
Work culture; freebies
Great Job
PRODUCTION OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXAugust 18, 2015
A typical day consisted of packaging products & prepping them for shipping. I learned how to operate equipment that was used for producing the company's product. Co-workers were great and very knowledable. I never had any problems with any of my fellow co-workers. The hardest part of the job was not being able to work overtime more often as I wanted too. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work and network with fellow co-workers.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Low Pay
Diverse Work Culture
Pricing Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 17, 2015
Great experience working with colleagues with diverse backgrounds. Open work concept launching which will encourage collaboration.
Forklift driver
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCJune 17, 2015
I worked for this company for 20 years. It was a good place until they changed so much and made the place too strict. They took away alot.
Long hard hours daily
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCJune 9, 2015
Hot. Would not recommend this job to anyone. Mandatory long hours daily and mandatory weekend hours.Not organized or functional
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Mandatory overtime daily
Fast paced, challenging, rewarding,,,
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJune 4, 2015
Typical day starts at 6 A.M., checking EMAILS concerning inventory issues from off shift, rectify as needed. Check with color build unit (CBU) for inventory needs, make all transfers, physically and systematically. Check automatic dispensing unit (ADU) levels, physically and systematically move all materials needed. Once all CBU needs are met, off to the distribution center for cycle counts, home location managing, consolidations, shipping error rectification, periodically checking EMAILS for other department ( CBU, QC, plant, staging, pilot,R&D ) needs.After lunch check with CBU for material needed for the next 2 shifts.

What I learned: Independence, proactive approach, many SAP system movements from department to department, plant to plant. Many different department operations.

Management: supportive

Co Workers: Team atmosphere, always ready to help.

Hardest part of my job: Balancing all above duties, making sure all needs are met.

Most enjoyable part of my day: Contact with different department co workers, personalities and the daily challenges each day brought.
Pros
always busy, always something to do
Cons
locating machines and equipment for physical transfers.
Fun workplace with rigorous hours with metal coatings.
Quality Control Part Time Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 31, 2015
-A typical day at work was in the Quality Control lab where i tested paint by drawing it down on different types of metal comparable to what our customer would use.
- Tested properties such as paint color, viscosity, durability, and film thickness.
-I learned what it was like to work in an industrial production setting.
- Management were nice but not good communicators or motivators.
- Co-workers were very nice people that could help me with any questions I had.
- Hardest part of the job was making adjustments on the paint that would come in out of spec.
- The most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere of the lab. Everyone was friendly and helpful.
Pros
All people i worked with were nice and helpful
Cons
Communication was poor. Worked 6-7 days a week.
AkzoNobel is a multi-national manufacturing corporation, active in healthcare, coatings and chemicals.
Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tarrytown, NYMay 19, 2015
AN headquartered in Amsterdam, employees 47,000 people in 80 countries. Constantly ranked as a top leader in the area of sustainability. They offer good benefits and educational opportunities. They are committed to their customers and clients.
Pros
Excellent training and education availability