AkzoNobel Employee Reviews

Automotive Market Manager - Global One Wheel Program
Automotive Market Manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJanuary 20, 2017
A typical day at work involved coordination between the powder group and the liquid group at Akzo to achieve collaborative goals for growth and OEM approvals. Visiting facilities all over the globe to direct efforts within local regions. Convince Tier I customer base to partner with Akzo on OEM approvals, new color, layering system development.
Pros
Unlimited creativity to get the job done.
Cons
Only so many hours in the day.
Good company to work for but always a fear of downsizing.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 18, 2016
I loved my job at Glidden paint for many years. I worked hard and tried to get promoted and succeeded when we were owned by ICI paints. Then they sold to Akzo Nobel who downsized every other year for 6 years until they sold us to PPG. Now its still a good job but not much chance to advance within the company.
Pros
Work hours can be adjustable
Cons
No advancement opportunities
new management is horrible
Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCNovember 3, 2016
ventilation system doesn't work in the paint department no personal life due to hours you work there..six days of work even when the backlog is low..working conditions is horrible..previous management that was their before cared but the management that's in their now doesn't care at all.You have to figure the batch maker position out on your own your're given very little help or training.
Pros
none there isn't any pros that i can state about this job
Cons
new management is horrible
Great place to work and provide for your family.
Paint Filler (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 3, 2016
I Worked for the company for several years and i can say the employees there are very knowledgable and helpful they go out there way to make sure your on the right track and know the procedures of the company. the supervisors treat you fair and once you know your assignments they give you your space and trust you to do your job and when you have done well they make it known that your are a gifted individual and they reward you for it with a gift card or a personal day.
Pros
Ocasional Free Lunches / Good Pay
Cons
Mandatory Overtime in the busy season
could be worse, but could also be what it used to be...
Operator (Current Employee) –  Waukegan, ILOctober 18, 2016
Workers are pawns not people. Management says one thing and does another. Decisions made today would change tomorrow, and again the next day. A lot of workers do nothing but milk the clock and then complain they don't get raises or promotions (stupid). Always need overtime and never enough people. Good employees pick up the slack of bad workers while management avoids the issue. Good luck with HR.
Pros
Drives safety as #1
Cons
Poor management and leadership
Great products, weak management
Technical (Former Employee) –  FieldFebruary 4, 2017
For years the products have stood on their own, this despite the misguided direction of management. Management does not take the time to understand the markets, their customers or what drives the buying process.
Pros
Very few aside from good street level sales and service people
Cons
Management, pay, shrinking benefits
Bad Environment
Quality Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 3, 2017
The Management and staff on the Manufacturing side is in disarray and the workload is unbelievable. Most people are doing the jobs of 3 or 4 people. Human Resources is everything, but resources for humans. Very rude and unprofessional. Marietta is an absolute disaster as head of HR (Petty and Nasty).
Pros
Big Company
Cons
Big Company
Productive work place with a great environment
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Warsaw, INJanuary 19, 2017
Good work environment everyday. Ive learned how to run extruder and using special chemicals to make powder. Great co-workers.
Hardest part is when the extruder goes down. Most enjoyable part is my co-workers.
Pros
Great work enviroment and good experience
Cons
No pay increase
I enjoyed working with all of Akzo employees. The labs and supervision was very helpful
Color Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLDecember 27, 2016
I would work for them again. I voluntarily quit after 12 years to relocate back to Florida. I was tired of the winters in Indiana,South Dakota.
I moved with the job 3 times in 4 years but enjoy working with them.
Quite setting
Infrastructure Specialist (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GASeptember 1, 2016
Support of 30 different sites within the United States, Canada and Mexico.Typically worked on several projects at one time.
Learned how to manage my time more effectively.
Hands off Management to a degree.
Remote co-workers was ideal.
Learning the companies objectives alone.
Learning more project based functions as it relates to I.T. etc..
Pros
Self management
Cons
contract work
Toxic environment at all levels. Weak unorganized upper management questionable ethics.
Procurement Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 18, 2016
If you enjoy high blood pressure, sleepless nights and a lot of heartburn. This is the place for you.
Weak management with no interest in improving processes or effectiveness. If it doesn't immediately deliver high savings dollars they aren't interested. After years of high praise multiple additional duties added several promotions and internal recognition . All of a sudden you aren't the right fit 2 months after a new manager is hired? If you ain't Dutch you ain't much is commonly quoted across all businesses and levels.
Pros
Cafeteria
Cons
High stress no support
Productive and high paced.
Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 16, 2017
High stress environment with little appreciation. Co-workers were easy to get a long with but quick to blame others. It is also aa union environment.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
the product mix is tough and operators make a fair amount of mistakes.
This way a very rewarding job.
Client Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 7, 2016
I enjoyed working with my district manager Kelly Dickson. We had a great team and still keep in touch working for different today. I would recommend Akzo Nobel as a company to work for.
Pros
Everyday job experience
Cons
Do not have one.
Once upon a time it was a good place to work.
Industrial Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 28, 2016
The people that work there are great. Sorry I can't say the same for upper management. At one time they actually cared for their employees and we were a family. Now they only see numbers, instead of values.
Trying to catch up with the rest of corporate America/ Europe
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 11, 2017
Many good people working for a company that seems split between 1950 and 2017. Both culture and processes need advancement and seem to be working toward that goal.
It was a great place to work and it had a great community of people.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Mississippi, MSNovember 21, 2016
A typical day of work was full of outside painting. If I wasn't painting I was either sweeping, filling in pot holes, cleaning, or running errands with my other co worker.
nice place to work
Quality Tech (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIFebruary 11, 2017
There is lots of on the job learning about testing the paint and adjusting different batches of paint for toners, clears, hardeners for both solvent and waterborne systems.
Dangerous Texas plant w/ Nigerian management
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXAugust 10, 2016
Old (50 years +) plant and process units with bulged and buckled steel Reactors containing highly flammable paint product. Managed by obnoxious Nigerians who hate white people. This place is a major catastrophe waiting to happen.
Cons
Dangerous as a meth lab
great place to work
2nd Shift Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILOctober 31, 2016
Great place and very good people very safe and productive and strides to make sure everything is done correctly and in very good quality. Management cares about its employees.
High point site...Beware
Finance (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCJune 15, 2016
Review all the jobs posted for High Point - that should be a red flag in itself. SMU level makes plenty of promises but they never come to fruition. Multiple reorganizations along with increased headcount have the site in a tailspin. If it weren't for their high margins they would be in a world of trouble. SMU Management on site now are great delegators so if you take a position there be prepared to work; you job, their job and probably some others. You should run and run fast!
Pros
Incentive
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AkzoNobel. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval