AkzoNobel Employee Reviews in United States

AkzoNobel had a variety of paint and sundry products. Marketing and upper-mangement personnel were their weak points in the California region.
Property Services / Commercial Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesJanuary 2, 2013
A typical day for me was to meet with existing customers and make 5-10 "cold calls" on weekly basis. I learned to understand the customers "needs" to be successful. Management was very "weak" in their communication skills with the outside sales reps. My co-workers gave 100 % on a daily basis. The hardest part of the job was to speak with management on a consistent basis. I enjoyed providing solutions to my customers painting needs.
Pros
outside sales
Cons
high healthcare costs for the employee
Tough Labor
Batch Maker (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCNovember 25, 2014
Akzo is a great place for young people to get a decent entry level labor position. Advancement is poor, management is always looking to blame the worker for something and there is very little automation (mostly a manual labor job).
Pros
good pay & benefits
Cons
little room for advancement, poor working conditions.
Disorganized management, success is not rewarded
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2012
I worked for AkzoNobel and in my experience, I found that management is very disorganized. There are two many layers to get things done. Everything has to be approved by everyone under the sun. In addition, they invest in technology. Instead of using the imaging that they had available, they left documents in boxes and often these documents got misplaced. Lastly, I did not feel that they rewarded success. I singlehandedly reduced their workload by 75% and took them from a place of disaray to a place of organization. I however, was never rewarded for this. The one plus is that I did like the non managers I worked with.
Pros
close to public trans, modern work environment, nice freebies like concert tickets
Cons
management, disorganization
Great atmosphere and great people to work with. Very safety oriented.
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 25, 2012
Akzo Nobel was a great place to work. They were very safety oriented and you felt like the management and everyone else there cared about you and your safety. It was a very laid back place to work and they let you do your job without standing over your shoulder trying to micro manage you.
Pros
it was a laid back work enviroment
Cons
it was hot in summer and cold in winter
A great place to work
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 13, 2015
Worked in Technical Support in a multi functional call center receiving 40-60 calls a day for software, hardware support.
Learned much
Logistics Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burt, NYMarch 30, 2015
Hostel work environment, did learn SAP program which was my goal to move forward. Some co-workers were great. the hardest part of the job was to please others. Enjoyable: going home.
EKA Chemicals division focuses on bleaching chemicals & colloidal silica.
Customer Focus Engineeer (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GASeptember 9, 2013
Eka Division of Akzo provodes a good living.
Eka has high focus on low cost production.
The culture is Euro/Canadian-centric, generally with high-quality and with pleasant demeanor.

Colloidal silica production mostly goes largely to the paper industry with also a lucrative niche supplying to suppliers to the electronics industry. The high EOL quality standards needed for the electronics industry contrast with wider EOL production windows for less sensitive industries. Electronics customers need more attention.

Worldwide production and distribution of P&P and colloidal silica products allows for travel to interesting places for the appropriate personnel.
Pros
good benefits, interesting people and travel opportunities.
I loved this job. It was laid back and we got things done
Driver / Manager Asst. (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 15, 2013
load truck deliver product, talk to customers over the phone, take orders, check in stock, put stock in its place on shelves, collect money at the end of the day I would deposit the money and do closing, which included, filing, light book keeping, input our daily sales in the computer.
Cons
there was nothing about this job that i didn't like.
Akzo Nobel is an great place to work for with lots of learning experiences
Billing Associate (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCFebruary 10, 2015
I am a Billing Associate for Akzo Nobel and every day there is something new to learn. They are a diverse and growing company that has great benefits
Productive Global Great place to work!
Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 2, 2014
I Iike working for Akzo Nobel because I enjoy being part of a global, innovative manufacturing company. Akzo Nobel is an organization that treats their employees and community with value and respect, and there are many opportunities for career growth.
Review
Chemist and Q.C. Technician (Former Employee) –  Zion, ILAugust 9, 2012
Exciting and engaging senior staff offered an incredible learning environment. Opportunities to introduce new technology to the packaging industry worldwide with excellent support staff were never in short supply. Co-workers and management at the company are today my closest friends and will be for the rest of my life.
Great Place for people and work
Senior Quality Control Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OHMay 18, 2014
I was on my own to get my projects finished and on time. Collected data from eight different tests and reported that data to my superiors. Worked alone with no supervision.It wasn't a hard job and getting the right data was from a test was most enjoyable.
Pros
good people
Cons
was laid off
Overall, a good company to work for
Demand & Supply Chain Planner II (Current Employee) –  Strongsville, OHJanuary 1, 2013
I really enjoy my co-workers and the compensation and benefits are good. The management structure and communication could be better.
Pros
benefits; meaningful contribution; benefits and compensation; early exits prior to holidays
Cons
average vacation package; management; communication
Fast paced, challenging, rewarding,,,
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJune 4, 2015
Typical day starts at 6 A.M., checking EMAILS concerning inventory issues from off shift, rectify as needed. Check with color build unit (CBU) for inventory needs, make all transfers, physically and systematically. Check automatic dispensing unit (ADU) levels, physically and systematically move all materials needed. Once all CBU needs are met, off to the distribution center for cycle counts, home location managing, consolidations, shipping error rectification, periodically checking EMAILS for other department ( CBU, QC, plant, staging, pilot,R&D ) needs.After lunch check with CBU for material needed for the next 2 shifts.

What I learned: Independence, proactive approach, many SAP system movements from department to department, plant to plant. Many different department operations.

Management: supportive

Co Workers: Team atmosphere, always ready to help.

Hardest part of my job: Balancing all above duties, making sure all needs are met.

Most enjoyable part of my day: Contact with different department co workers, personalities and the daily challenges each day brought.
Pros
always busy, always something to do
Cons
locating machines and equipment for physical transfers.
Creative work enviroment
Print Buyer (Current Employee) –  Strongsville, OHSeptember 4, 2013
flexible hours - core hours 9-4
intelligent people in the paint industry
free to be creative
policies and procedures in place
uncertainty with buy out by PPG
fast pace
too many cheifs - not quick enough decisions made
#2 in the marketplace
Pros
cafeteria on site, flex schedules
Cons
lot of turn over - been bought out by ppg
Stable and Competitive Company
Scheduling Supervisor, Integration Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 11, 2012
A typical day at Akzo Nobel is very fast paced. A person in this position has to be able to multi task and be able to handle high stress situations. The most enjoyable part of my position is the challenges that come my way every day.
Pros
stable environment
Cons
long commute
Very unstable work environment
Admin (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 25, 2014
Constant reorganization and restructuring, employees always feel their jobs are under threat. Consequently there is a lot of back-stabbing and lack of trust. Management is weak, indecisive and out of touch with employees. Most work processes are disorganized and IT support is literally a bad joke.
Awesome company, sorry I had to leave
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hudson, OhioMarch 15, 2013
I carried many responsibilities, but was well appreciated and compensated for what I did. They bought out the Flood Company, and were very generous when they did decide to shut the site down and consolidate with ICI.
Pros
great benefits, and compensation-good work ethics
Cons
too far away
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 27, 2015
Open office and run branch.
Daily Operations of company.
Closing new accounts.
Daily interactions with customers and co workers.
Great Place to Work
Credit Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 19, 2015
Great Place to Work. Friendly atmosphere, great company culture. Great benefits (healthcare, dental, vision), vacation, etc. Very team oriented. Everyone works well together.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AkzoNobel. Our community is ready to answer.