Alabama A&M University Employee Reviews

Awesome place to work especially when you have an interest to further your education.
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Normal, ALJanuary 2, 2017
Busy work area but all relevant experience. The things I have learned have provided me experience that will help me further my career in any industry. My coworkers are all in the same position as I am and we work as a team. The hardest part of the job is not being able to work on my research as much as I'd like to.
Pros
Direct experience in my field, total hours flexibility
Cons
No overtime
Fun workplace
Student Worker/Intern (Current Employee) –  Normal, ALJanuary 25, 2017
I have a lot of fun workig in the student center because it gave me the opportunity to develop great customer service. Being able to go to cerrtain events is really exciting and I am able to enjoy my college experience more working hand in hand with the office of student activities and leadership development. Being able to work with celebrities is great because they are hilarious and really open. Also, being able to go certain places and not having to worry about paying for my food nor housing if we have to go away to work.
Pros
going to events free, being able to meet celebrities and being able to work between my classes
Cons
some times it becomes difficult to focus on schol and work
Higher institution where students are encouraged to be independent
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 7, 2016
Good learning environment and a good workplace and friendly environment. It prepares students for job industries and exposed students to different kinds of laboratory equipment which are up to standard.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Stressfull long hours but it worth it.
nice work environment
Writing Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 29, 2016
the writing center was a great place to work and the work hours are flexible. management was very friendly but the center has little funding from the college which affected positions
Great Experience, Terrible Experience
Studnet Intern (Current Employee) –  Normal, ALJanuary 3, 2017
While working at A&M University I gained a lot of experience, but I also gained a lot of headaches. I was rarely paid on time and always had to jump through hoops to get paid. I enjoy the work, just not the headaches that come with it.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
Late or No Pay
Fun and easy place to work
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Normal, ALOctober 3, 2016
A typical day would be long lines of students and vigorous work with great attention to details. I learned a lot regarding the financial aid process and how to identify the unique needs of students regarding their accounts. I oversaw two other cashiers and enjoyed the experience of working with them. Although the hardest part of the job was when there were no more options I could offer to a student and had to send them some other place to seek resolution. But by far, the best part was being a part of the team.
Pros
Meeting the next generation of leaders
Cons
Registration
A learning environment for work study college students to balance and organize their multiple task with in a short time span.
Foster Complex Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Normal, AlDecember 10, 2016
I enjoyed my time working and studying as a student worker. I learned a lor from both my manager and my coworkers that will assist me in my success later on in the future.
Pros
No housing expense.
Cons
Time conflict with college exams and work.
Dedicated Professors
Spanish Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 11, 2016
Most professors are dedicated to their students. Students are very busy with extra curricular activities, and harnessing their energies toward academics was a challenge I welcomed. I believe I helped many students achieve their academic goals.

Management can be disorganized so you need to follow up on everything very carefully.
Too much bureaucracy and lack of standardization.
Research Associate/Faculty (Current Employee) –  Normal, ALJuly 11, 2016
With strong knowledge and multi-disciplinary background in Academia, Accounting and Finance, Health-care Management and Quality Control, I have been able to overcome daily challenges with more resourceful approaches.
Over the years on the job, I have learned the importance of good management and effective communication skills. Effective communication creates harmony and foster peaceful work environment between co-workers even when the going tends to be tough and rough.
The most enjoyable aspect of working with individuals with different backgrounds and affiliations is teamwork. Wonders never end and so are challenges. The ways we can successfully confront such challenges depend greatly on our knowledge and understanding of problem solving skills, which is very relevant not only in work environment but our lives.
According to the old saying "United we stand and divided we fall". That goes to explain that more desirable outcomes could be achieved if all pull together as a team. o
Pros
Friendly working environment
Cons
Too much bureaucracy
A&m
State Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 20, 2016
The typical day working at A&M is a challenge. You are trained by all different type of Officers. The management is a challenge to deal with.
If you like the College environment...
Assistant Volleyball Coach (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 14, 2016
You will love this place. Admin is friendly. The hardest part of this job is that there was no way for me to move up into a higher position and stay at the school.
Focused and Face Paced Enviornment
Stocker and Organizer (Former Employee) –  Normal, ALJune 4, 2016
Wonderful staff and focused environment that sought to teach and patiently instruct newcomers in a face paced environment. Being employed here equipped me with the necessary skills to be a proficient, professional, and positive part of my work environment. Management ensured that employees were abiding to work place rules and nurtured academic, professional, and personal growth.
Challenging workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 15, 2016
Enjoy interacting with various students. When I know that I have helped a young person, by providing encouraging words, helpful tools, and just being a listening ear, gives me great joy that the student is headed in the right direction.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ALMay 20, 2016
Helped me to learn good time management skill and organization skills. Its was convenient and great to be able to work at school while finishing my degree.
Great educational institution with many learning opportunities
Secretary/Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ALMay 25, 2016
I really enjoyed working in the Biology Office of Alabama A&M University. On a typical day, I would assist with help for professors, administration and students. Also, file important documents and transport to various locations on the campus.
Nice place to work for
Compliance and Records Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Normal, ALMay 7, 2012
Nice place to work, if you enjoy working with students during registration periods. The job itself isn't too hard however it takes up a lot of time. It's very challenging to stay caught up.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
additional hours for registration, short breaks
Good Place to work
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  huntsville,alJuly 16, 2014
NIce co-workers
Good work/life balance
Mediocre compensation
Very laid back
Biology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 29, 2013
Love my department. The job is very flexible and laid back. Would be great if you plan to pursue a Ph.D and can write grants, so that the university benefits
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no benefits
enjoyed working at this institution
student employee (Former Employee) –  Normal, AlFebruary 29, 2012
Good place to work, laid back professional environment. Good pay good benefits.
Pros
no weekends
Productive , hardworking
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 24, 2016
Working as a graduate assistant can get overwhelming mainly because I'm juggling school and work. I enjoyed the job but it became complicated due to very minimal training. I had be very proactive and do assignments to the best of my ability. The work environment was very focused.
Pros
Meeting different students, experience
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alabama A&M University. Our community is ready to answer.

Alabama A&M University Reviews by Location