Alabama Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

prison
Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Elmore, ALApril 15, 2017
its a prison, don't do it. the hours are long and you don't get weekends off. You also have to remember who you are working with. So you are going to bring that home.
Pros
money
Cons
short breaks, long hours
Great Benefits, Little Pay for a dangerous job
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Ashville, ALJanuary 17, 2017
Great company, great management. Loved the schedule, just wanted to get out due to the danger of the inmates for such little pay. Its a negative work environment because of the inmates, I am a high spirited, happy individual and didn't enjoy the negative atmosphere.
Horrible
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Clio, ALDecember 16, 2016
Supervisors are sneaky and conniving. Very messy place to work everyone is out to get you. The inmates look out for you more than your fellow officers. Over worked and under staffed go to school don't waste your time with ADOC!
Benefits
Cons
Overworked and unstaffed
Very Dangerous Work, Dirty supervisors and staff
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Bibb County, ALDecember 2, 2016
Unless you are at the very end of the road as far as employment is concerned, do NOT work for the ADOC. Your supervisors practically hate you, and look for reasons to write you up. The inmates are actually treated with more respect than officers are, and that isn't saying a whole lot. When you are a trainee, you are supposed to be under constant supervision, but there are many instances where trainees are left alone most of, if not all day with over 300 inmates, who are practically unsupervised. They say the pay is great, but you have to work 16 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week to accumulate enough overtime for a big check. In other words, you have to give up your personal life and live at the facility to run up a decent check. Most staff members are dirty, and even some supervisors, further jeopardizing your safety. Don't take my word for it, just read the latest news about ADOC about what is going on. Unfortunately, a lot of other things are covered up and don't make the news, so there's that. All in all, a terrible place to work. Stay away.
Pros
Cons
Rock bottom morale, supervisors who treat you like garbage.
Very stressful environment to work in
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Brent, ALNovember 1, 2016
The Department of Corrections is a very stressful environment to work in and is not for everyone. Glad for the experience of working there but also glad to be out.
Pros
a lot of time off
Cons
stressful job atmosphere
High Stress; dangerous; and poor leadership.
Classification Specialist (Former Employee) –  AlabamaOctober 25, 2016
Reviewing inmate's files for lowest custody/security level for the most cost effective benefit for the state while insuring the safety of the citizens and public. There is not enough security to keep you safe and the stress is overwhelming. I learned not to trust leadership as the bus will not only run you down, but back up and do it again. The co-workers try to work as a team, but management keeps getting in the way and destroying moral. This is the best example of the Peter Principal in practice that I have ever seen. The best part about this job is the day you resign!
Pros
Cons
Daily fear of death!
Horrible place to work for admin support
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elmore, ALSeptember 8, 2016
I'll never work for ADOC again! Most horrible environment, emp are rude, wardens are awful, you're treated like an inmate! No room to advance. Correctional officers talk to the inmates like animals. Foul abusive language, inmate fights, stabbings, absolutely a hostile and dangerous work environment. I would rather dig ditches at minimum wage than to ever work here again. Your every single move is on camera. If you are one minute late clocking in, you're written up. I hated it and the worst experience of my life. I wouldn't recommend this job to my husbands ex wife! Stay away from DOC!
Pros
Cons
All of it!
Over populated and understaffed.
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Clayton, ALAugust 25, 2016
Too many female that dont understand a man way of working with men. Also females cause an unusual relationship or friction between male offier and male inmates.
Pros
pay
Cons
Everything but pay.
Stepping Stone
CORRECTIONAL SERGEANT (Current Employee) –  Elmore, ALJuly 8, 2016
CDG was a great job job that help me and my family my it threw hard times. If the company was still around I would send my friends and family their to obtain a job.
Corrections is a good career to have
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Harvest, AL 35749July 1, 2016
Corrections is a good career and/or stepping stone if continuing down the path of being a law enforcement officer.

Typical day/night at work you deal with inmates face to face they are not locked down 23 hrs a day like they portray on television shows, so you are in the trenches so to speak for 12 hrs constantly on your feet doing security checks and inspecting cells looking for contraband.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with multiple personalities on a daily basis and dealing with them individually.
Pros
Good benefits, time off
Cons
Dealing with other officers that are scared to do their job

Want to know more about Alabama Department of Corrections?

Ask a question
Daily Duties
Department of Corrections (Former Employee) –  Union Springs, ALJune 3, 2016
I have plenty of experienced security training. As a Corrections Officer I focused on maintaining peace, security and safety within correction centers and federal prison systems. Extensively trained in crisis prevention and intervention. I am a very organized, reliable, and attentive when it comes to getting the job done. In addition, I do have experience in retail and customer service.
Pros
Schedules, Officers
Cons
Lunch Breaks
Great career with benefits! Extremely dangerous at times
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Springville, ALFebruary 29, 2016
On a typical day you should work 12 hours, however, due to staffing issues you are there for 16 hours. It is hard to put into words how many things you learn from this job, because it is something new every day. The most important thing that I learned from this job is management skills! Being able to convey directions to an individual with a criminal past without causing tension is a major part of this job. The management at this job is average, as with most jobs. You will have some supervisors that are outstanding and some that do not need to be in a position of power. The hardest part of this job is the fear of not knowing if you will be going home the next day. When the need arises you have to be willing to do whatever is necessary to quell a situation. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to see former offenders make a positive change in their lives and become a functioning member of society. I have personally had 3 former inmates see me in public and say that my attitude and actions towards them made them really think about the path that they were on and decide to change it for the better.
stressful at times, I learned a lot about different personalities of individuals, case notes met with law enforcemnet and judges at times
Classification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Al corrections systemsJanuary 18, 2016
Meeting and learning about an individual, the crime, notes, helping to decide if they should be eligible for parole. It was interesting but at times stressful. You had another persons future in your hands.
Pros
learning experience
Cons
stress
Most Wardens treat employees as though they were inmates which makes for an undesirable and at times hostile work environment.
Psychologist / Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaNovember 18, 2015
My personal experience was extremely negative. It is difficult to voice your opinion without being threatened. If you're a minute late you've committed a crime for them. No trust. They treat staff as though they are inmates.
Pros
Benefits and pay at my level
Cons
Wardens
Correctional Facility
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Harvest, ALOctober 9, 2015
Working in a correctional facility you learn to make sound decisions in stressful situations. Officers work together to ensure one another's safety. I have learned to communicate with individuals from all walks of life. You have to be able to meet people where you are to help them and understand diversity. The hardest part about being an officer is to always be alert and the inability to trust the inmates. The most enjoyable part of being a correctional officer is you have the ability to reach many individuals in which families and society has forgot about.
Pros
Benefits, health insurance, time off
Cons
No breaks for lunch
great paying job, but is it worth it
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALSeptember 30, 2015
ITS GREAT, benefits. But the overall culture is stressful. Countless hours of overtime will be forced on you. There are so many corrupt coworkers you have to be aware of. Depending on the prison you select, it can very dangerous.
Interesting
Administrative Support Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Clio, ALSeptember 28, 2015
Great Job, fast paced, offers great benefits, affiliations, education, and reinforces structural importance value.
working for Alabama Department of corrections
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Atmore, ALJuly 29, 2015
Department of correction needs a lot of improvement. You never know what you are coming into. You learn how to deal with a lot of different personalities which I think is great for dealing with people in the free world. Hardest part of the job is dealing with fights and fights with a weapon. The best part of the job is working with my co-workers getting to know them and having joyful coversations.
Pros
good health care, and good pay
Cons
short of staff, no breaks, dangerous enviroment
Stressful work enviornment
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, AlJuly 23, 2015
A very interesting place to work with people from all different walks of life. Made it hard to adjust back into civilian life at times. It was an overall good experience.
Pros
Pay and benefits were great
Cons
Stressful enviornment
Nice place to work at.
Correctional Officer I (Current Employee) –  Elmore, ALJune 26, 2015
Being apart of the Alabama Department of Corrections something interesting happens everyday with the department. Coming in the department you have your ups and downs just like any other job but this place has a lot of growing to do with the administration staff and also with the fellow officers.
Pros
some of the officers that you work with are great
Cons
lacking leadershing and control with in the prison.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alabama Department of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6