Alabama Department of Corrections Employee Reviews in United States

stressful at times, I learned a lot about different personalities of individuals, case notes met with law enforcemnet and judges at times
Classification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Al corrections systemsJanuary 18, 2016
Meeting and learning about an individual, the crime, notes, helping to decide if they should be eligible for parole. It was interesting but at times stressful. You had another persons future in your hands.
Pros
learning experience
Cons
stress
Most Wardens treat employees as though they were inmates which makes for an undesirable and at times hostile work environment.
Psychologist / Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaNovember 18, 2015
My personal experience was extremely negative. It is difficult to voice your opinion without being threatened. If you're a minute late you've committed a crime for them. No trust. They treat staff as though they are inmates.
Pros
Benefits and pay at my level
Cons
Wardens
Correctional Facility
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Harvest, ALOctober 9, 2015
Working in a correctional facility you learn to make sound decisions in stressful situations. Officers work together to ensure one another's safety. I have learned to communicate with individuals from all walks of life. You have to be able to meet people where you are to help them and understand diversity. The hardest part about being an officer is to always be alert and the inability to trust the inmates. The most enjoyable part of being a correctional officer is you have the ability to reach many individuals in which families and society has forgot about.
Pros
Benefits, health insurance, time off
Cons
No breaks for lunch
great paying job, but is it worth it
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALSeptember 30, 2015
ITS GREAT, benefits. But the overall culture is stressful. Countless hours of overtime will be forced on you. There are so many corrupt coworkers you have to be aware of. Depending on the prison you select, it can very dangerous.
Interesting
Administrative Support Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Clio, ALSeptember 28, 2015
Great Job, fast paced, offers great benefits, affiliations, education, and reinforces structural importance value.
working for Alabama Department of corrections
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Atmore, ALJuly 29, 2015
Department of correction needs a lot of improvement. You never know what you are coming into. You learn how to deal with a lot of different personalities which I think is great for dealing with people in the free world. Hardest part of the job is dealing with fights and fights with a weapon. The best part of the job is working with my co-workers getting to know them and having joyful coversations.
Pros
good health care, and good pay
Cons
short of staff, no breaks, dangerous enviroment
Stressful work enviornment
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, AlJuly 23, 2015
A very interesting place to work with people from all different walks of life. Made it hard to adjust back into civilian life at times. It was an overall good experience.
Pros
Pay and benefits were great
Cons
Stressful enviornment
Nice place to work at.
Correctional Officer I (Current Employee) –  Elmore, ALJune 26, 2015
Being apart of the Alabama Department of Corrections something interesting happens everyday with the department. Coming in the department you have your ups and downs just like any other job but this place has a lot of growing to do with the administration staff and also with the fellow officers.
Pros
some of the officers that you work with are great
Cons
lacking leadershing and control with in the prison.
John's Review
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, AlabamJune 14, 2015
I learned that working in the prison you had to have very good people skills. I developed very good people skills during that time.
Thoughts on Corrections
Correctional Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Atmore, AlabamaJune 8, 2015
Alabama Corrections are a job that you can advance in following orders to giving the orders. It is a challenging job if you are up for a challenge. It pays good and has good benefits.
Pros
Provide uniforms, equipments, and training
Cons
shortage of staff
I love working with the Alabama Department of Corrections
Correctional Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJune 5, 2015
Alabama Department of Corrections is a 'Great" place to begin a career. Great benefits and an opportunity to climb the ladder of success. Monitoring Inmates on a daily basis and insuring that they keep in compliance with the Rules and Regulations.
Serious job.
Account Clerk (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALApril 6, 2015
Something new is always happening. Good or bad business office can be very busy. Can't say much about the management. It just changed. I enjoy the people I work with and I truly enjoyed my job.
Pros
Dependable
Cons
Its a job
Very exciting working environment and work place
Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Union Springs, ALMarch 22, 2015
I work in the Mental Health Department where there are sometime
a lot issues you have to maintain concerning inmates who have been
incarcerated for a long time. There are sometimes fights that have
to be kept under control. The management is done mostly and controlled on daytime schedule. My co-workers are excellent to work with we watch each others back. The hardest thing is administering shower/shave/haircuts. I enjoy making coffee for my shift and having every other weekend off.
Confidential, busy,very detailed work .
Executive Assistant to the Commissioner (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJanuary 18, 2015
As the confidential Executive Assistant, I worked directly for the Commissioner of the Alabama Department of Corrections, fielding phone calls, drafting, composing and responding to correspondences as required. Field phone calls from a variety of entities, Governor's Office Staff, other Corrections' Commissioners and Directors, internal and external law enforcement agencies. Responsible for planning and organizing the Department's Annual Picnic and Christmas Luncheon for approximately 400 ADOC employees. Supervised civilian Front Desk Receptionist and assigned Inmate Runners. Ordered and maintained supplies for the Commissioner's Staff, drafted various certificates and letters of appreciation, commendation, as applicable. Responsible for accounts payable/receivables involving Commissioner's Staff. Arranged travel and lodging for Commissioner's out of state business affaires. Responsible for ensuring employees, as well as those with CDL licenses completed monthly and quarterly random drug screening.
Pros
corresponding with various other departments of corrections.
Cons
time-consuming.
Safety
Officer (Former Employee) –  Childersburg, ALSeptember 26, 2014
Ensuring accountability for all inmates and safety were paramount in the prison.
Stable employment
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALAugust 21, 2014
Great supervisors, very understanding.
Opportunities for advancement
Its productive but can be a bit much at times
Administrative Support Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALAugust 1, 2014
Overall the department could be better as a whole, the work is manageable and the people are great and work hard.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
stressful at times
the job was stressful but you had a job to do.
Correctional Officer / Correctional Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Capshaw, ALJuly 21, 2014
I worked in the correctional field for 20 years. The job was demanding with little time off. Often it can be dangerous and stressful. I met some good people and their friendship will be with me forever.
Pros
good pay
Cons
dangerous stressful with little time off. demanding with little room for errors
Unsafe and unsanitary place to work with horrible supervision.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Union Springs, ALJuly 11, 2014
Overall the Correctional Facility would be halfway workable if it was ran differently. It seems if you know the rules and regulations better than your superiors they pick on you. With that said, you dont have to be a genius to know more than them, most seem slow and with a little bit of research, half of them were in special education growing up. I dont have anything against special needs ppl but its strange to me that anybody would put them in a leadership position in a prison being you have to think on the fly. That speaks to their superiors(all the way up to the wardens). Along with all the different diseases and the way this particular prison is not being cleaned (ex. they buy less than a 3rd of the clorox needed and fill the rest up with water just to save money that the state gives them to buy cleaning supplies, i've seen it multiple times with my own eyes) i wouldn't recommend working here.
Fast pace environment. Work with the public and adult felon on a daily basis. Make recommendations. Ensure safety of the public.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJune 23, 2014
Overall experience was positive. Growth in the department from Specialist to Analyst enhanced my confidence and ability to make decisions and implement policies and procedures.
Pros
ability to work with diverse cultures
Cons
ability to accept the things i could not change