Alacare Home Health & Hospice Employee Reviews

great benefits
Hospice Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 7, 2017
overall not a bad place to work management can benefit from training courses on how to effectively talk to employees and interact with there department.
Progressive
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, ALOctober 25, 2017
Manager was top shelf. Supervisor was not. Nice place to work. Staff was helpful. Need more mentoring. Owners are well informed and very willing to educate staff.
Pros
First Class organization
Cons
Turnover-
Rn
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 19, 2017
Great place to work as a healthcare provider. Good education for staff and team worker. Workplace culture was all ways on team building. I enjoyed by job
Not a good company
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 6, 2017
Just not a good company overall. Their PTO system is awful: in order to take one 8 hour day off, you must have 40 hours of PTO banked, plus the 8 to take your one day. Charting is tedious, and it seems you never get done. You're notified of mandatory meetings usually with only a day's notice. You're still expected to see your quota of patients, regardless of acuity, even with a 4 hour meeting (which happens regularly). Patients are just a number.
Cons
Don't care about employees; quotas
Would be a better place to work with some minor changes.
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALJune 5, 2017
I think this agency has solid values, great benefits, great employee recognition, and definite job security as an RN. The problem in my eyes is the lack of understanding the high acuity of patients and the point system that does not take acuity into consideration. The documentation is cumbersome and there doesn't appear to be anyone willing to listen to field staff concerns to try to fix the problem with too much documentation. I have had a couple of different managers. Alacare does get rid of managers that treat people poorly. The orientation and training to the job is very good. Just wished we all had mentors at our branches to help new nurses. I have worked in a branch without a mentor and one with a mentor. Having a mentor makes a huge difference. The worst part is long hours because of the productivity expectations and the charting system. What I enjoy most is taking care of people in their home and helping them get better.
Pros
Using my nursing skills and being independent.
Cons
Charting system, long hours, no time for my family.
family owned
Palliative Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALMay 5, 2017
Great Place to work, however the communication needs improvement. Company Cars are also a plus. Oncall is part of the job, which some have a problem with.
Pros
company car
Cons
not enough communication
Excellent place of employement
RN Clinical Mentor/CWOCN (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, ALApril 30, 2017
Alacare is a wonderful place of employment which fosters the growth and advancement of the employees. Patient care is of paramount focus in this home health and hospice organization.
Pros
Great work environment, excellent patient care
Cons
On call duties can be taxing on one's home life
Was great at keeping us educated and updated.Worked together
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ashville, ALFebruary 19, 2017
I had a good experience with Alacare met a lot of great patients,offered a lot of things for the pts.Flexability,Learned to do a lot of things on my on in the field
Pros
Supportive, caring, education inportant
Cons
sad situations sometimes
Rewarding career
Care transition coordinator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 29, 2017
Alacare is an excellent company with strong ethical values where patient care is #1. I have been with Alacare for 10 years in which I have grown personally and professionally. Being able to work with patients and their families who may be needing home health or hospice care is a blessing.
Pros
Continued education, great benefits and compensation
Great professional environment
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 4, 2017
Great company to work for.
Great communication within local office and corporate.
Training is provided to ensure employees are successful in their job.
Avoid the Mobile office at all cost
HIM Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALAugust 26, 2016
The office manager has a habit of passing off his work to others. If you're not part of the office clique your job is not secure. The corporate office will always back the unethical action of this particular office manger.
Pros
Cons
No breaks
Great opportunity!
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 30, 2016
Alacare is a wonderful family-owned company that listens to employees and provides great benefits. The compensation is very good. The Hoover branch is a great place to work. Many opportunities to advance your career. The new managers and directors work very hard to ensure both patient and employee satisfaction. All my co workers are available to help and are go out of their way to make sure our patients are cared for. Home health is a very difficult and demanding job--but so rewarding. I highly recommend employment with this company.
Pros
Flexible schedules, great compensation, great administrators
Cons
Stressful (as any nursing job)
Takes a Team Effort to Care for Patients
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 3, 2016
Working at Alacare Home Health & Hospice gives you the satisfaction of knowing that what ever your role is you are contributing to providing excellent care to the patients and families.

The work is hard and stressful, but the patients really appreciate the services they receive and let you know that every day.
Pros
Getting to know your patients, company car
Cons
documentation, dealing with families during stressful times
Not great if you have a family
RN Branch Director (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 27, 2016
The worst job I've ever had! Upper management's expectations and productivity requirements were horrible. Work all day then chart til midnight. Therapists were the only ones who had it made. No call and paid well per visit. I feel sorry for anyone who works there. Run fast and far!
Management is horrible.
Wouldn't you like to know (Former Employee) –  AlabamaApril 8, 2016
No one stands behind their employees. When I resigned I found out they would only pay me 67%/of my unused vacation time. My position had 2 people but when one quit they were not replaced. No time for family life. It's all about money even though they say otherwise. Bad place to work.
Pros
Cons
No lunch, no breaks, long hours, no time for personal life. Not enough staff.
Working as a LPN
LPN (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALFebruary 23, 2016
my experience with alacare was horrible. i worked as the first and only LPN at the montgomery branch. i was treated like an experimental project. i was told my salary would be one thing but once i started working it turned out not be that at all. i was told 80 hours or 80 visits per pay period to reach my quota.But i was only give from 40-49 visits every pay period. I think management did it on purpose. The RNS was greedy and very unfriendly. They were not made to give me any visits. they made all of the money. i almost got evicted because i left my fulltime job based upon these lies and promises. the branch manager and the supervisor of the montgomery branch are the worse people have ever worked with. Alacare is a good company with excellent benefits., but it need much improvement on who they put in mangement positions! LPNS be careful at the montgomery branch. they certainly treated me unfairly.!
Pros
flexiblity
Cons
no visits given, i couldnt make any money as a LPN
Paid well, but job stability and travel required are lacking.
Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJanuary 9, 2016
Although social workers are compensated at an adequate level, the respect shown by medical personnel toward input from the social workers is minimal. Although it is understood that this is, primarily, a medical provider, social work is a profession that is needed in the home health and hospice area and should be treated with the respect that a trained professional should expect. In addition, the travel required gradually increased to the point where contact with patients was greatly overshadowed by time spent going from home to home.
Alacare
field nurse (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 11, 2015
Alacare is a great place to work and strives to take excellent care of patients in the home. The Birmingham branch has new leadership and is really working hard to bring positive change to the branch. This company is stable and has been one of the best and long standing home health and hospice agencies in Alabama.
Pros
excellent care, great nurses and therapists
Management sucks
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Jasper, ALNovember 5, 2015
The company needs to restructure there management team. Smoke breaks all day, and field staff being pulled in every direction. Office Manager never lifts a finger to help do anything but smoke. Corporate really needs to evaluate the Branch Manger a little closer.
Great Employees, awful management
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 16, 2015
This is the most unorganized company I have ever worked for. The employees are nice and the owners are awesome. They try to look out for their employees but the management is awful. No one wants to work and they will drag their field staff out until there is nothing left of them. They are always understaffed and what they require of you is unbelievable. There is never an off day you are constantly working. The pay is pretty good but it's definitely plenty of stress that comes along with it. My advice. Don't quit your day job.
Pros
Pay, great owners
Cons
Stressful, a lot of taking work home with you

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alacare Home Health & Hospice. Our community is ready to answer.

Alacare Home Health & Hospice Reviews by Location