Alameda Health System

Alameda Health System Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent place to work to help the community
STUDENT PLACEMENT ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  SAn Leandro, CAApril 18, 2016
AHS holds it together for the community. The collaborative measures are one of a kind as well as the people. They are unite and come together to help the community.
Great place to learn but no room for advancement
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 28, 2016
Alameda Health Systems is a great place to learn if you are interested in a career in the health care industry however there is no room for advancement unless you know somebody which is usually how you get hired hire.

Management here is horrible. Don't expect to work for an organized management team who's focused on leading their staff into success.

Staff shortage seems to be a big issue here. Expect to things outside of your job duties.

Communication within managers is horrible. One manager says one thing, the other manager says another which creates a lot of confusion within departments.

Managers never offer any feed back. Don't expect to be recognized for your hard work.

Morale is low in departments.

Feedback from employees is not welcomed.

Employees are ghetto. No other way to put it. No one is a team player or wants to do anything outside of their job.

If this place would hire qualified employees and managers with leadership abilities to lead these departments this organization would improve a lot.

Pay is good but that's about it.
Pros
Good pay, Overtime always available
Cons
Horrible management, Parking, Lack of skilled employees
Great Sentiment - Difficult Work Envirnoment
Supervising Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAFebruary 6, 2016
Alameda Health System is a good place to gain experience but I would not consider it a good place to work. While there are many wonderful employees there are too many long-term employees that are jealous, rude, and bitter. Management often consists of unskilled 'interim' Consultants that have been there for years. Even if you don't work for one of these managers you will have to deal with them (and their unskilled employees). While the pay is quite good it is not very competitive for the Bay Area. Much of the culture consists of gossip, backbiting, and other inappropriate behaviors that are encouraged by unskilled, interim managers.

Hard work is rarely appreciated
Skill and intelligence are not rewarded
Many individuals in leadership/management positions are unqualified
C-Suite turnover is high
Rewards are doled out by favoritism and not performance
Pay increases are done using a 'grading-curve' type procedure
Salary is based on who you know or can manipulate

As another reviewer said, "If you have friends in high places, you are destined to be fairly compensated and rewarded;" however, if you do not you are better getting a job somewhere else. If you live in the Bay Area, there are much better opportunities - unless, of course, you are unskilled and can rise through the abuse using manipulation.
Pros
Working with the Indigent, Cultural Exposure
Cons
Lack of Professionalism, Backbiting, Parking
Productive Organization focusing on the community we serve
System Director, Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 19, 2015
Awesome experience as we embark on our journey as a new health system serving Bay Area Community. It's a wonderful organization to be a part of.
High Volume work environment that encourages learning from any experience.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CA 94602September 27, 2015
A typical day at work in the Environmental Health & Safety department includes the weekly staff meeting, tracking scalable events and codes called at the hospital throughout the day, checking the mailroom, archiving hard copy documents from previous years to make space for the upcoming year's documents, proofing email correspondence for my manager before it is disseminated, preparing documents for 2 monthly committee meetings and entering tasks into my weekly productivity log. What I have learned is the importance of not letting new environments, transition and increasing workloads overwhelm you mentally and negatively affect your work ethic. Management has been understanding and patient as I have adjusted to a new role which required more than I was accustomed to at the time. My coworkers have been amazingly helpful. The hardest part of the job was trusting and being confident enough in myself to know complete it to acceptable standard. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing all that is accomplished from the team effort and my manager encouraging me to use my voice.
Productive, fast paced atmosphere
Eligibility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakland CaSeptember 24, 2015
A typical day would answering phones and registering 1 to 2 hundred people a day. I learned how check insurance eligibility and navigate through insurance was websites. Management was okay but usually involved in gossip, co-workers were fun. The hardest part about the job was dealing with customer hostility, on the job fights among employees or patients. The most enjoyable part about the job was the pay and benefits.
Pros
Pay rate, beneifts
Cons
Bad environment, employee fights and arguing in front of patients
Location in transition
Lead Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CASeptember 22, 2015
Review work order system prioritize work for staff, conduct life safety rounds, parts inventory , schedule training for staff, review budget and cost flow of inventory, plan projects for four campuses, conduct daily meeting with nursing and administrative staff, quality control of staff work
Pros
Dynamic fast pace job with rewarding connection with staff and patients
Cons
limited growth opportunity
Great Work Place Environment
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE ANALYST (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CASeptember 18, 2015
Good job security and benefits as well. The managers are supportive and a good positive atmosphere to work with and a lot of variety within the workforce.
Moving Forward
Program Manager/Youth Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 10, 2015
AHS is a work in progress.
Change is constant and necessary.
Health care does not supply "typical"days of work, each day differs due to the human condition.
Management varies. By definition, a manager is not necessarily a leader nor is a leader a manager,
Co-workers work hard and non-stop.
Hard part of job...not being able serve more students.
Most enjoyable part of job...being able to change lives for the better!
Productive Company
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CaliforniaJuly 13, 2015
Wonderful Company to work for and learn advancement in the Health field. I have been with Alameda Medical Center thru transition to Alameda Health System. I work in a friendly Specialty Clinic for Immunology diagnosis. I work three day's a week as a Medical Assistant and looking to expand my skills in the Phlebotomist Career.
great place to work
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 12, 2015
Great place to work. Good environment and tries to participate in cultural awareness.Equal opportunity employer. I totally enjoyed working for this company. Best employer.
Pros
great pay
Alameda Health System
Employee at Alameda Health System (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 24, 2015
I was drawn to Alameda Health System because of the great potential of the organization, the system transformation process leading us on an exciting journey to become both a provider and employer of choice, and meeting individuals who share my passion about serving the needs of our community.
Pros
Genuine passion about serving the needs of the community, strong leadership team with a clear vision, initiatives are in place to increase our market share, and people here are devoted to our Mission of Caring, Healing, Teaching and Serving All.
Cons
Parking
Love all the people I work with
Phlebotomist CPT (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAApril 6, 2015
AHS is a great place to work. I have been employed with the same hospital for almost 10 years, and still love it.

I do live in Martinez and would prefer to work closer to home.
Pros
great team work
Cons
a lot of others call in sick
Not a good place to work
Customer Service Rep. (Current Employee) –  AlamedaFebruary 2, 2015
A typical work day is over 15 hours long. Too many consultants in the organization and there is no work life balance. Most employees leave and come back as independent consultants.
Poorly managed organization
Prefer not to answer (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Alameda County Medical Center is certainly not an organization one would choose to stay for the long-term. There is little to no advancement. Hard work is rarely appreciated. Individuals in leadership and management positions are, for the most part, not qualified for their positions. The organization lacks clear goals and reasonable expectations. Overall, this is a broken system. If you have friends in high places, you are destined to be fairly compensated and rewarded. Skill and intelligence are rarely rewarded. A typical day at work includes completing many tasks outside of a given job description, however management takes the credit for their workers' accomplishments.

One positive aspect has been the level of cultural competence. For the most part, coworkers respect one another regardless of differences in beliefs and way of life.

Health coverage/cost is also a positive aspect of working for this organization.

Advice to upper management is to hire qualified leaders instead of those who simply look good on paper. Instead of hiring consultant team after consulting team, who tend to make matters worse, focus on the permanent employees in management positions who should be evaluated on their performance.

"Repeated failure to implement change effectively can build cynicism in an organization, “inoculating” it against future change efforts."-Spector
Pros
cultural competence
Cons
poor leadership, broken system
Dysfunctional;
PATIENT ACCESS CARE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  oakland, caOctober 2, 2014
The employees are great however management is not supportive. Pay and benefits are great. Leadership is unrealistic of the changes they want to bring
Pros
benefits, pay, vacation, people
Cons
leadership, management, no advancemnt
It's not about the patient
Nursing (Former Employee) –  Highland HospitalSeptember 26, 2014
There are some very entrenched personnel there that, despite being non-clinicians, totally block improvements in patient care. Very questionable business practices. A lot of chaos, and poor management that go for the quick fix with little thought and no overall plan. Right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Clinicians drowning in a tide of needy humanity with deep seated problems and few resources, and are given little or no support from management. Clinically rewarding because you are helping people who need it so much, but patient care supplies are limited and you have to scramble and hunt and beg and plead to get what you need to do your job, and then you still might not get it so you have to make do. Forget about evidence based practice. A lot of people are just coasting, enjoying their county pay and benefits, and don't do their jobs very well with no repercussions. The ones who are dedicated save the place, or it would be a complete loss.
Pros
benefits are good. patients are challenging.
Cons
non-clinicians block improvements in patient care, no parking at hospital--street parking, had my car broken into.
Very busy and fast paced
Eligibility Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 10, 2014
Registering patients for medical and dental appointments. Some clinics are by appointment only and others are drop in appointments which is first come first serve. Patients can get anxious about the long wait and sometimes become frustrated, irritated and upset. I have learned how to have better customer service, compassion for this community and how to deal with very high stress levels. The hardest part of this job is dealing with irate and sometimes violent patients. The best part of this job is knowing that what I do can help patients that have no insurance get seen and get the care that they need to be healthy and active.
Pros
learning about the medical/dental field and insurances.
Cons
not enough employee parking, no proactiveness, employees concerns are not heard and not addressed.
Recovery Centered
Licensed Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CaAugust 15, 2014
Working for John George is never the same day. The patients come with all sorts of issues but the best part of working there is the staff that come together to help in the recovery and mental health of those in need.
Great Organization with a diversity
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 12, 2014
I enjoyed working for this organization and I love providing services for the community.