Alameda Health System Employee Reviews

Great Place to work!
Interim Manager Employee Health Services (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAMarch 17, 2017
Hard-working employees and a sincere desire to take care of their clients. Management is very supportive and while there are some who have yet to transition to a newer way of thinking that aligns with organizational goals and values, there is a noticeable trend to attain that in all members of management.
Great place but hard to advance
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAFebruary 1, 2017
I loved working here. It wasn't about the pay it was more so of the benefits. Pretty much free benefits for you and the family. The pay is OK but I was willing to sacrifice due to the benefits.

The Managers that I interacted with was really nice and did care about your well being. I only wished my manager would have gone to bat for me when there were positions made available. If you are a good employee that goes above and beyond their job description you would think they will talk to HR.

I can finally see why a lot of employees stay in their current role. Some are due to being comfortable but most of the time when you try to apply for a different position you have to meet all job requirements before you can even meet with the hiring manager. I had the hiring manager reach out to the HR recruiter stating they want to meet with me but they refused. I never heard of a recruiter or HR refusing the hiring manager a candidate they wanted to meet.

This is one of the key reasons how you lower morale in the workplace. They talk about boosting morale but the HR department is outdated. There are people that abuse the system yet they are still there and HR protects them but for the people that genuinely care about their jobs and want to advance they stunt your growth
Benefits
Cons
HR
Look elsewhere
Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 8, 2017
People are nice but this is a struggling organization. Some good people in leadership but AHS utilizes temp help too much. Dishonest hiring practices. AHS needs to be honest with hires - expecting someone to work for 6 months or more as a temp without benefits is cheap and dishonest. HR lures you with the benefits which are great but only if they decide to hire you. If they tell you that HR is slow and they want you to start as a temp, keep looking elsewhere. AHS would do better by hiring good folks from day one and not by growing such a large temp work force. It's not good for morale.
Pros
Great benefits if you can get hired
Cons
Struggling financially
*** HR Recruitment Team Fears Change
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 27, 2016
If you have strategic and/or innovative ideas and enjoy sharing them AHS is not the organization for you. Decent pay, but does not compensate for the lack of overall support.

Im rooting for AHS, but would NOT suggest leaving your current job to work with the organization.

Best of Luck !
Pros
Decent Compensation
Cons
Gossip central, lack of confidentiality, lack of integrity, fear of change from "senior" recruiters, and questionable work ethic.
AHS was great!
Health Advocate (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 20, 2016
AHS provided volunteers with $6.50 for lunch once a week, created a safe space for volunteers, and the management was great. The staff were all so kind.
AHS is restructuring with growth potential
Senior Financial Analyst (FP&A) - Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 17, 2016
The work environment at Alameda Health System has lots of opportunities. The company is growing and restructuring.
More employees are being hired to support growth.
Pros
Broad scope of work responsibilities
Cons
Job insecurity
hr review
Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 16, 2016
you will have awesome coworkers but management is suspect. the overall direction constantly waivers. pay is pretty good for the bay area and the benefits are also fare.
A safety net healthcare system
Associate Vice President Finance, Revenue Cycle (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 13, 2016
A healthcare system that serves the underprivileged population of Alameda County. The revenue cycle has come a long way with the implementation of the Sorian PFS system.
Great work environment
Billing Tech II (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CASeptember 15, 2016
Coworkers are great and Management recognizes your had work. Everyone is very hardworking and we all have one thing in common, we get the job done. Management is always supportive and is here when we need them.
Mission will spark your heart
Health Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 8, 2016
Taking care of the community is important. With limited resources, systems could be leveraged in a more productive manner. With the correct leaders, this will be able to happen.
Pros
mission
Cons
lack of human resources, lack of advancement support/opportunites
friendly work place,helpful staff,
Physician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 31, 2016
very busy work day ,i was responsible for my own clinic,scheduling patients for surgery,Supervising physicians were helpful ul.Nursing and supporting staff was great and very helpful..The hardest part of the job was having to be in multiple places at the same time.The most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers .
Pros
great compensation, job indpendance
Excellent place to work to help the community
STUDENT PLACEMENT ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  SAn Leandro, CAApril 18, 2016
AHS holds it together for the community. The collaborative measures are one of a kind as well as the people. They are unite and come together to help the community.
Great place to learn but no room for advancement
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 28, 2016
Alameda Health Systems is a great place to learn if you are interested in a career in the health care industry however there is no room for advancement unless you know somebody which is usually how you get hired hire.

Management here is horrible. Don't expect to work for an organized management team who's focused on leading their staff into success.

Staff shortage seems to be a big issue here. Expect to things outside of your job duties.

Communication within managers is horrible. One manager says one thing, the other manager says another which creates a lot of confusion within departments.

Managers never offer any feed back. Don't expect to be recognized for your hard work.

Morale is low in departments.

Feedback from employees is not welcomed.

Employees are ghetto. No other way to put it. No one is a team player or wants to do anything outside of their job.

If this place would hire qualified employees and managers with leadership abilities to lead these departments this organization would improve a lot.

Pay is good but that's about it.
Pros
Good pay, Overtime always available
Cons
Horrible management, Parking, Lack of skilled employees
Great Sentiment - Difficult Work Envirnoment
Supervising Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAFebruary 6, 2016
Alameda Health System is a good place to gain experience but I would not consider it a good place to work. While there are many wonderful employees there are too many long-term employees that are jealous, rude, and bitter. Management often consists of unskilled 'interim' Consultants that have been there for years. Even if you don't work for one of these managers you will have to deal with them (and their unskilled employees). While the pay is quite good it is not very competitive for the Bay Area. Much of the culture consists of gossip, backbiting, and other inappropriate behaviors that are encouraged by unskilled, interim managers.

Hard work is rarely appreciated
Skill and intelligence are not rewarded
Many individuals in leadership/management positions are unqualified
C-Suite turnover is high
Rewards are doled out by favoritism and not performance
Pay increases are done using a 'grading-curve' type procedure
Salary is based on who you know or can manipulate

As another reviewer said, "If you have friends in high places, you are destined to be fairly compensated and rewarded;" however, if you do not you are better getting a job somewhere else. If you live in the Bay Area, there are much better opportunities - unless, of course, you are unskilled and can rise through the abuse using manipulation.
Pros
Working with the Indigent, Cultural Exposure
Cons
Lack of Professionalism, Backbiting, Parking
Productive Organization focusing on the community we serve
System Director, Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 19, 2015
Awesome experience as we embark on our journey as a new health system serving Bay Area Community. It's a wonderful organization to be a part of.
Productive Place to Work
Secretary II (Office Manager) (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 15, 2015
Working in a public hospital setting was very hectic and busy all the time. There was many dedicated staff who were truly there to provide the best care to indigent patients. I learned about the management of staff and the complexities of managing in a heavily unionized environment. My co-workers and staff were so dedicated to patient care. Management was overwhelmed and overworked so it created many challenges. The hardest part was the bureaucracy. The most enjoyable part was helping the patients who really needed care.
Pros
Dedicated Staff
Cons
Bureaucracy
High Volume work environment that encourages learning from any experience.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CA 94602September 27, 2015
A typical day at work in the Environmental Health & Safety department includes the weekly staff meeting, tracking scalable events and codes called at the hospital throughout the day, checking the mailroom, archiving hard copy documents from previous years to make space for the upcoming year's documents, proofing email correspondence for my manager before it is disseminated, preparing documents for 2 monthly committee meetings and entering tasks into my weekly productivity log. What I have learned is the importance of not letting new environments, transition and increasing workloads overwhelm you mentally and negatively affect your work ethic. Management has been understanding and patient as I have adjusted to a new role which required more than I was accustomed to at the time. My coworkers have been amazingly helpful. The hardest part of the job was trusting and being confident enough in myself to know complete it to acceptable standard. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing all that is accomplished from the team effort and my manager encouraging me to use my voice.
Productive, fast paced atmosphere
Eligibility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakland CaSeptember 24, 2015
A typical day would answering phones and registering 1 to 2 hundred people a day. I learned how check insurance eligibility and navigate through insurance was websites. Management was okay but usually involved in gossip, co-workers were fun. The hardest part about the job was dealing with customer hostility, on the job fights among employees or patients. The most enjoyable part about the job was the pay and benefits.
Pros
Pay rate, beneifts
Cons
Bad environment, employee fights and arguing in front of patients
Location in transition
Lead Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CASeptember 22, 2015
Review work order system prioritize work for staff, conduct life safety rounds, parts inventory , schedule training for staff, review budget and cost flow of inventory, plan projects for four campuses, conduct daily meeting with nursing and administrative staff, quality control of staff work
Pros
Dynamic fast pace job with rewarding connection with staff and patients
Cons
limited growth opportunity
Great Work Place Environment
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE ANALYST (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CASeptember 18, 2015
Good job security and benefits as well. The managers are supportive and a good positive atmosphere to work with and a lot of variety within the workforce.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alameda Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9