ALAMEDA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT Employee Reviews

Great Place to work and learn
Public School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAJune 19, 2017
The day is very regular. And the administration is very supportive. Other staff is considerate. The students are very nice and respectful. Parents should feel very confident about the education their child receives here.
Excellent Staff
Student Support Provider, (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAMay 23, 2017
The staff really welcomed me as a Southern California guy. I was able to work part time while attending graduate school. A small stepping stone but one that staff and students understood before my internship.
Good atmosphere
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 18, 2017
I really enjoyed my time at the Alameda Unified School District. I loved my students and the faculty. The lesson plans laid out by administrators were always well organized and thought out which made my job less stressful and fun.
Pros
great staff
Great group of guys in the maint. yard but managemnt, BEWARE
Plumber (Former Employee) –  MaintenanceAugust 21, 2016
Great place to work if you enjoy working for an angry, absent minded, untruthful and most of all unproffesional director and upper management. The medical benifits are below average and the association (union) is weak. But on the good side, good hard working guys at the yard and most of the custodians also work hard.
Oh, not everyone gets to work O/T. Just a couple of guys who, let's say,kiss ___ to the upper management.
Pros
good tools, yard and plumbing truck and shop.
Cons
benifits, union, upper managers
I enjoyed working with children
Substitute Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAJanuary 22, 2016
I enjoyed working in an environment where I was helping and working with children of all ages and needs. I also enjoyed going to different schools so I was able to identify which are was the best fit for me.
productive but fun place to work, a positive enviroment
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Alameda CAJune 30, 2015
There is no typical day working with children who have special needs. Every moment is different. I leaned to be patient, and keeping calm in, intense situations. my co-workers we all work well together and have healthy work ethic, working well together.
Pros
Friendly staff, holidays and winter break and spring break
Cons
short breaks and lunches
Great
Substitute Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAJune 6, 2015
I think working with the school district is amazing! Although i barely have the time to work with them because of my schooling, they are always flexible and always able to give me hours when I need them the most.
Pros
Sturdy job
Cons
When is comes to getting paid at the end of the months, it's kind of hard.
Fun Job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAOctober 22, 2014
working with children reading helping out with class work and activities, assisting teacher with assignments, and providing games on the yard for the students.
Pros
Working with the kids
Cons
Sometimes kids get out of hand
Not recommended
Substitute Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAApril 18, 2014
It is an political environment with secret agendas. Your rarely get any guidance from teacher and the Human Resource BTA/PAR was aggressive. She was racist and aloof. She makes demands on you to show up late minute for petty employees who like to take day off.
The Human Resources department is populated with white women in their late 40s to 50s. They pawn the substitutes to assignments with obese teachers who are new to the school site and older white male VP and young white women in Wood. The sub-paraprofessional had to work with second grade material within a 6 th grade environment. The teacher would push it on my lap to help him But that kid is so spoiled that he doesn't lift a finger. He managed to slip through the system from some Paden school. I was placed in a peculiar position to help him, a kid who doesn't write. Teacher expected him to do same work as others who are at middle school level, who writes and
comprehends. Another one would shout harsh words to me. The teacher would enjoy the torture she put me through. It is impossible to make it there. Then she writes up every other Africian American or Latino kid who she classifies as disturbing the class. It was a daily occurrence. The student support person, a African American male would be the one taking the discipline slips, except the two who I got as described above. He would be sitting in his cube and counseling or disciplining, including recommending suspension of kids, so does the VP. But the young white women would get away with no pressure just dancing down the hallway to their classrooms.
  more... Another
beautiful white woman who is the psychologist would ignore my cry for help to deal with the two kids who are plain old untouchables.
I had quit the company as I caught some disease while working there and am staying home to recover.
Never apply to AUSD if you are not prepared for racist treatment and
some bad experience. You are at complete mercy of the teacher.
Pros
Money, free lunces
Cons
Harassment, discrimination, lack of training, abusive teacher
Daily tasks
Substitute Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAAugust 28, 2013
I conducted the afterschool programs and assisted the faculty with school events. I also provided campus security and sanitized the school facilities using proper procedures
Pros
Self supervised
Cons
Not much coworker interaction
Very busy office
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAJune 10, 2013
Co- Workers were Wonderful. I really enjoyed working with the Teachers, Parents and Children.
Pros
Great Enviorment learned something new everyday.
Upbeat school
Media TA (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAMay 26, 2013
It has been many years but it was such a educational experience to be part of a team.
Pros
Staff and teacher were great.
Cons
Great collegiality, good students, poor upper administrators after 2010.
Teacher/Department Chairperson Social Studies (Former Employee) –  CAApril 16, 2013
The students are great, the collegiality terrific, but management beginning in 2010-2011 at the high school went seriously downhill. They treated teachers as idiots, they were vindictive and unconstructive. Superintendent was also anti-teacher and more interested in making her resume look good than better student performance. All the talk about helping the average to slightly below average student was pure propaganda, since all efforts went into simply increasing AP enrollments at the expense of a skill-based education that could lead to a job. There is nothing wrong great preparation for college, but there are other kids too, most of them with "great heart" and motivation if their education would be more practically oriented. Co-workers are terrific, administrative bureaucracies look out for themselves more than students and teachers. They were/are political creatures trying to sell a commodity, not educate students. The most enjoyable part of the job was exciting students to learn and open up their horizons. The hardest part of the job was jumping through administrative hoops which almost never aided my teaching.
Organized, flexible work schedule with periodic review meetings with management for ongoing feedback to keep all projects on track.
Maintenance, Operations & Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CADecember 23, 2012
1. In office at 7:30am to meet with Lead staff and establish priority projects and assignment of staff if on leave, working on reports, inspecting sites, reporting to Director mid-day, finishing with site meetings and scheduling vendors to complete mandatory testing.

2. Business atmosphere with minimal radio and office distractions but best working with 2 or more office co-workers to be part of a team.

3. Specific goals for team to work toward

4. Easy - Planning and assigning budget information to projects

5. Hard - Helping Principals at schools understand our need to establish priorities of planning projects.