Alamo Colleges Employee Reviews

too much favoritism
Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 19, 2017
No account to advance to qualified positions unless you are a favorite employee, which causes disappointment to growth opportunity and limited advancements.
Pros
college class discounts
Cons
Advances are limited to favorites
Great Management
Administrative Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 14, 2017
Well organized and pleasant place to work. Friendly staff and faculty. Great benefits. Would recommend Alamo as a great place to work and go to school.
workplace
Associate Director, Alamo Colleges (Former Employee) –  Alamo collegesJune 26, 2017
Difficult to advance due to many people not leaving the college and staying until retirement.
Ability to prioritize my job and make my own decisions following rules and regs.
NO job security.
adjunct instructor
Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 25, 2017
Being an adjunct instructor is rarely a good profession for job security, and the same is true of Alamo colleges. If there isn't enough enrollment, you don't have a class to teach, and therefore, no income. My supervisor did not elect to tell me why she wasn't giving me a course to teach, but I was stuck without warning or a chance to look for other work in my field before the semester had already started.
That said, the workplace was nice, and fairly well appointed, except that the instructors' computers were sometimes old and outdated.
Pros
nice work atmosphere, decent facilities.
Excellent place to work
Early College Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 15, 2017
The District administrators are excellent and genuinely care about the growth and development of their employees. There are ample opportunities for advancement.
Relaxed atmosphere and great people
Student Secretary (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 20, 2017
I had a work study job and it was great for allowing me to take care of school while working and helping other students. All the professors that worked in that office were really nice and the people that walked in and out of the offices were unique
Great place to work and develop as a professional.
Police Corporal-Campus Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 19, 2017
Good work environment,great benefits and comparable compensation. Good supervisors and co-workers. Great place to develop as a professional. Many opportunities to advance in your education and licensing.
Pros
Benefits and schedule
Cons
Top heavy district level administration
Great environment and kind colleges
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Universal City, TXJanuary 16, 2017
I was surrounded by kind individuals who genuinely cared about my well being and did all they could to make working as a team possible. A typical day was filled with one being greeted and their well being asked about while ones work load being given to them with plenty of time for it to be performed. I always had something to be done but I was always being ask if I needed help performing my task which I always greatly appreciated.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
hour cuts
work experience
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 23, 2016
Had the honor to work with the best team there is at Alamo colleges, I have taught in several colleges and did off campus to local company employees.

Alamo colleges has a bright future in their dual credit program it is pursuing with SAISD providing the new generation with tools for the future.
Pros
awesome team
Cons
short breaks
Work Study Job - SLAC Lab at SAC
Registration Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 19, 2016
It was my first introduction to working in education, and I loved it as I worked there for 2 years while I was in the process of getting my associates degree. My managers were amazing and co-workers were great. Great work life balance and very helpful with school.
Great day at San Antonio College
Test Proctor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 30, 2016
I love working with students.. It is a wonderful experience. I have learned so much working with people on the computer. The most enjoyable part fo the job is when a student register for class and the parents are so proud.
Pros
doing my homework at work
Great Company to Work for
Sr. Human Resource Generalist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 19, 2016
Great work life balance

Plenty of time off

Great experience with staff

Day to Day operations consisted mostly of Employee Relations

Great Team to work with in HR
Terrible management.
Administrative Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXMay 16, 2016
I enjoyed talking with potential students and their parents. Everyday was a fun day until management got involved. I enjoyed my co-workers, not management. This was the perfect job until management got involved and everyday became a chore to come to work.
Pros
Potential students being excited about starting college.
Cons
When asked for ideas, mine were rated stupid by management.
Job flexibility
Work Study (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 12, 2016
Working at Alamo Colleges gave me a great experience on how colleges review and process students' transcripts and other material required by colleges.
Pros
Great envrionment
Cons
Lots of work
Great place to work.
Corporate Liaison (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 21, 2016
Upper management treats employees like a part of their family. Typical work day was great. Everyone worked well together as a team.
Easy Job
Work Study (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 8, 2016
It was an easy job. I mostly just helped music students into practice rooms. I didn't really have to do much. Occasionally get mail and I will file stuff here and there. Then it was also a very friendly environment and management is great.
Pros
easy job
Cons
could only work 15 hours a week
A great place to work
Accounting Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 6, 2016
My department is a great place to work for, our goal as tutors is to help students achieve their educational goals and make sure they succeed in their assignments while using our facilities.
provided a great work enviroment
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 28, 2015
i loved the people i worked with and the friends i made, was a great opportunity to lean about clerical work. the supervisor i worked with was amazing he helped us without questioning or getting after us.
Pros
worked with school schedule
Cons
n/a
Great place to work with room to grow
Information System Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 2, 2015
They give the opportunity to grow, to educate you in your field, and maximize your abilities and skills for the future here or on the community for the better of the State.
Pros
Flexibility on the assignments, great benefits, winter vacations
Cons
infrastructure needs a little bit of cleanup or update.
Work study position
New Student Orientations/registration for classes (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 23, 2015
I currently work at Northwest Vista college in the student development department. This is an ideal situation for me that allows me to work while I am going to school. The work balance is perfect so I can also focus on my studies, and the staff here are great! The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to help other student that were/are in the same position as I was once in.
Pros
Management and Co-workers
Cons
No benefits for part time work study