Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Employee Reviews

Understanding management
Flexible hours
Paid vacations
Easy to learn the job
Coworkers are very fun and outgoing
Management is always helpful
Lots of perks of working there
Energetic and fast paced environment with hard working individuals
SERVER/EVENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COOctober 3, 2016
The Alamo Drafhouse cinema is a dynamic event center with fun hard working individuals who have passion and drive, responsible for every days great success'!
World's Greatest Entertainment Center!
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 16, 2016
Fun awesome management! Movie theater restaurant business that is booming
Management is excellent
coworkers great enthusiasm
Hardest part in Job would be never
The most enjoyable part would be the building up of the career
Ups and Downs and then more Downs.
Server (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAJuly 20, 2016
What first drew me to the Alamo Drafthouse was the amount of new and exciting craft beers that were going to be offered and the fact you could enjoy fried pickles, a cold beer all while watching a movie. When I was hired on I was excited because after doing research, this place was going to be a hip and no nonsense from the guests kind of place to work. One where being different and unique were encouraged. After working for this company for a little bit, I began to see their idea of what the Alamo Drafthouse should be was different than the original. We were not encouraged to be unique but to conform. We were not a hip and no nonsense place, we were instead family oriented where it is ok to bring an infant to see The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo. The management was more on the irrational guests side than that of their employees. There are no benefits other than 2 free tickets every pay period. I hear stories of all the cool events, promotions, celebrity guest appearances and other cool things the other Alamos have on the regular. The Winchester Alamo doesn't even offer an after shift beer like the other ones do. It's not Alamos fault. It's the owners and GM of this particular one. The managers, when not belittling eachother behind their backs, are making false promises to crew and playing favorites. Most managers do not encourage crew and the only incentive is hours which may not even be beneficial financially. When you do get a compliment it just falls on deaf ears as the GM doesn't even look up from her phone when she says a monotone "good job."

Every place has their
  more... ups and downs. You just have to find one you are willing to deal with.  less
Pros
Free movie passes, draft beer samples, making lasting relationships with guests and fellow employees
Cons
No breaks, the general manager is bipolar and fake, favoritism, no comradery among crew
Fun and refreshing
Expediter (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 27, 2016
Very laid back environment, with the exception of around 7. Theater is known in the community and is a KC landmark. Every Alamo is special.
Busy and up beat bar movie theater with special events involving celebrities.
Server/Bartender/Shift lead (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2016
Mt typical day working here was extremely busy. I enjoyed the fast paced environment and socializing with other customers and making them feel welcome. I learned how to make a large variety of cocktails and learned a lot of the local beers and the history behind them. I had a lot of respect for my management team and respected all of their decisions. The part I enjoyed most about this job was the opportunity to grow and develop my skills as a good bartender. I also got the chance to meet some famous people and see free movies which was a great perk.
Pros
free movies
Fun work environment with lots of great benifits
Server (Current Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXJune 8, 2016
Be ready to work very hard for the Alamo Drafthouse. Days can run long and weekends are required for most positions. I learned a lot about business growth as this company is rapidly expanding. Management can sometimes be spread thin as Alamo is constantly running a new special for films a they are released. Hourly employees may get frustrated due to long hours and and constant changes, The most difficult part of the job is covering for other employees who call in "sick" or otherwise not available on days they are scheduled. This is due to the average age being close to 20. The best part of this job is free films and employee parties.
Pros
Free movies and great benifits
Cons
Constant changes and young workforce
Cook (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 22, 2016
I work on fry station and get everything ready in a timely manner. Management is really nice and good to get a long with. Everybody works as a team. Everyone gets a long with each other. I sometimes train new hires after only working there for a month. It's easy to get the hang of things.
Fast pace and very physically demanding job.
Server, Bar-tender (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAJanuary 4, 2016
I've worked for Alamo for over six years in varying locations and it is not by any means an easy job. Hours can be very long and the physical toll on your body is high. There is very little help or praise from management and even less likelihood of job advancement within the company.

Still, there is a type of eclectic energy that resonates within the company and among staff members, and there are moments where you realize you are actually part of something very unique.
Pros
Free movie tickets, Staff friendships
Cons
Short or no breaks, Long hours, Low pay, Physically demanding, Poor management
A true passion for film and movies, the Alamo has it all.
Server/ Trainer (Former Employee) –  Littleton, CONovember 16, 2015
Extremely fast paced work, with wonderful patrons and co-workers. I trained staff on quality and efficient work up to customer and company satisfaction. Silent and quick serving was required in order to create the best possible movie experience. I had the privilege of consistently provided professional, friendly and engaging service. Routinely supported other areas of the restaurant as needed. I learned a great deal, as I did prep in the kitchen and dishes when needed. Attributed to the bar and cleaned every cranny.
fun for a short period of time.
Runner/Server (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 6, 2015
management is unprofessional and shows a lot of favoritism. on busy days you could be expected to work 8+ hours with no breaks and no knowledge of when you are allowed to leave.
Pros
discouted and sometimes free food, 2 free movie tickets a pay period
Cons
short breaks, no breaks, no sure time of when you're leaving, unprofessinal management
Work hard play hard
Server (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 9, 2015
Expect to work long hours in a fun environment with great people. There are slow seasons in the spring and fall, but you'll make great money during the summer and holidays.
Fun, fast-paced place to learn the ins and outs of the kitchen
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 8, 2015
Great food, mostly all made from scratch. Fantastic work environment. Allows the ability to learn multiple areas of the kitchen. Decent work hours. Management friendly and coworkers very relatable.
Quickly-Evolving Company
Server (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 21, 2015
Great place to meet new friends and balance personal and work life. Management is often unaware of basic operations because the company is changing and growing so quickly.
Pros
free lunch / great staff
Cons
Cut-throat employees trying to “move up”
Best job I ever had
Corporate Trainer, Manager (Former Employee) –  san antonio, txJuly 13, 2015
Great management, great pay, great concept, great everything! I will always remember my awesome times working for the company.
Amazing job, sociable workplace that while fastpaced, also manageable and relaxing.
Food Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 29, 2015
Great movie grill, great food, great theater sizes. Friendly coworkers and management. Cool owner, Tim League. Very hip and trendy themed movie previews, uniforms and culture. Allows workers to wear appropriate sized jewelry, nose piercings and non-offensive exposed tattoos. The free shift meals up to $5 and the half-priced shift beers after night shifts are the main perks. Free movies and half-off meals up to $10 on days off is also a pretty sweet deal. Recommend working here for anyone who loves the Restaurant industry and is seeking experience as a Food Expeditor, Server or Head Cook. Advancement is very realistic, encouraged and is a plus.
Pros
Advancement, Shift meals, Environment, Pay and Benefits, Schedules, Management, Workplace Concerns/ Complaints
Cons
Limited Regional locations, lack of mass publicity
full service resturant and movie theater
Server/ Bartender (Former Employee) –  kalamazoo MiApril 13, 2015
Great place to meet new people. The first in Midwest people come from all over the globe to check them out. management was a great had and good team!
Not a fan.
Runner Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Kernstown, VAMarch 1, 2015
Management treats employees poorly. The company doesn't seem to give employees any type of benefits. Employees can't even get cheap food from them when on the clock. That is, if you can find the 30 seconds to eat.
It was fun while it lasted.
Prep/Line Cook, Under the table supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 19, 2014
They just got too corporate too quick. Nearing the end it only ever seemed like labor percentage, labor costs, and numbers about this and that was the only thing that mattered. The whole food/drink operation can't work without people there to make it.
Otherwise, the environment that existed was kind of like a family. People did actually care about one another and the ways of operation. If one person slipped, we all slipped, and everyone can feel that. Everyone wanted to make it work to the best of our abilities, but as I mentioned before sometimes it's hard to run a kitchen or a movie theatre without a few less hands.
Then that comes down to comping peoples food and drink orders. Then the management jumping down our throats. When all we asked for was 1 to 2 more persons. They would being paying them less to work then all the comps and gift cards they'll have to hand out.
Seems like common sense went out the window for Alamo Drafthouse once they went national.
Pros
free meals
Cons
the chef who doesn't understand the own operation of his kitchen
A bit below average
Server Support (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 28, 2014
About what is expected at Alamo, low pay and long shifts compared to servers. Management is average at best. Recommended as part-time versus full time.
Pros
Shift meals
Cons
Healthcare, Long hours, Low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. Our community is ready to answer.

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Reviews by Location