Alaska Airlines Employee Reviews in United States

Great company, poor working conditions
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 28, 2016
I previously worked for Alaska Airlines in a different department and LOVED my job, the company and the people I worked with. I wanted to get back working with Alaska when I moved to Phoenix, but I had no idea what I was in for.
The position of Call Center Agent is nothing like what I believe the Alaska Spirit is all about. It would take too long to describe, but the atmosphere is stressful, micro-managed, mandatory overtime practically everyday, no (and I mean NO) time for getting to know your coworkers. Your told hold long you can take to go to the bathroom, how long you should talk to customers and are given "occurrences" for EVERYTHING! If you call in sick, occurrence, if you go in sick and sent home, occurrence, if your in an accident, occurrence (not as severe, but occurrence non-the-less) the list goes on and on.
The management team was wonderful and I know the work environment is just a result of the union contract.
I started with a class of 17 and there are currently 5 employees still working there after 3 months. That pretty much says it all.
I'm very disappointed as I love Alaska Airlines, the call center is just not what Alaska is all about.
Pros
People, medical benefits, 401K
Cons
Stressfull, micro-managed, union contract bound
Alaska Airlines
FLIGHT SIMULATOR TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  SeaTac, WAJuly 26, 2016
good company people are nice not too much of the thing that does the stuff. people are on the what it is at every time. it is ok but more than not less of a good. don't be of fright for the thing that is on.
Excellent place to work!
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 29, 2016
This company creates an amazing work environment. Good company to work for, great benefits, salary, and people to work with!
Pros
Great pay, benefits, customers, and co-workers!
Cons
Not enough bases
Manager, Cabin Safety (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 24, 2016
Great place to work especially for highly driven and efficient people. If you like innovation and constant change, this is definitely a company to consider.
Alaska company
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 23, 2016
I worked in a positive up beat environment. I could work hard but, still feel rewarded at the end of the day. Not really, hard just challenging. I would celebrate all holidays and sports etc.
Pros
Great work environment
working with the public
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 20, 2016
If you like working with the public this is the place for you. However the business travelers might give you some issues
Call Center
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 17, 2016
High volume call center. Enjoyed the support desks and customers. I handled a large amount of incoming calls while supporting travel agents and other desks. Hardest part of the job is irate customers.
very busy and hectic but rewarding customer satisfaction
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 26, 2016
a day at work for a commuting f/a is very hectic , getting to work then starting work takes a lot out of you .you learn how to manage time very wisely,and multi task,working with fun professional co workers ,best part of the job is having your customers happy and feeling they had the best experience when they disembark the aircraft.
Pros
shcedule is not set, if you like working odd hrs
Cons
its not an 8 to 4 job
Great place to work. Flexible shifts/hours.
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WAMay 10, 2016
Fun and exciting place to work. Great crew members, made some lifetime friends at this job. The pay wasn't that great but the free flight benefits made up for it. Management was great and everybody liked to have a good time.
Pros
Free flight benefits. Great co-workers. Flexible schedule depending on your needs.
Cons
Could be very hard on the body as it was a very physical demanding job.
Productive and fun
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 8, 2016
I Love my job as a customer service agent. The hours were very tiring and very jumped all over the place. With it only having 2 flights a day.
Not many hours available, hard-working environment
Conversions Worker (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, MDFebruary 10, 2016
This job is difficult but the hard work pays off. There aren't very many hours available to work so I am looking for a job on top of that one.
Very respectful crew and team members
Ramp Agent and TSA Security (Former Employee) –  WAJanuary 28, 2016
I would guide the planes into the gate, unload the bags in the pit with my crew members, drive to carousel, then go back too the plane with bags for the next flight, walk out the plane then let the plane go safely for take off. I would help customers and show them where the gates and their flight was flying out from.
Pros
Great people, great money and pay, benefits great
Cons
Productive and friendly environment with dependable co-workers
Call Center/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJanuary 12, 2016
The hardest part of the job is learning to use your time wisely. Performing your tasks in a timely manner. Co-workers are dependable based on your experience with them. A typical day at work is answering 40+ calls.
An Amazing Company with lots of room for adancement
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 4, 2016
A non routine work environment with a strong emphasis on customer service. Check in of passengers and assist them to their seats. Strong focus on safety and comfort of customers. Safety and adherence to government regulations a top priority.
Pros
Travel Benefits, Medical. Dental, 401(k), stock options, and Profit Sharing.
Cons
Shift work, non traditional schedules
Eh
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 2, 2015
It's an okay company. No complaints really. Enjoyed coworkers, station manager had no clue what was doing. Wasn't full time which sucked
Work environment has a family feel to it
Pricing Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 2, 2015
Alaska Airlines invests a lot of time to hire humble and dedicated employees who care about the company. The company provides some of the best customer care service in the industry which has lead to winning top awards.
Pros
Free flight travel
Cons
Big gap between management and union
Management Actually cares
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 23, 2015
I have been in the aviation industry for years and believe me management does not care anywhere.

Then comes Alaska Airlines, I have never seen a company so dedicated to its employees! Managers really care about their employees, making money and being safe.

Alaska Airlines you are the best airline in the world!
good managers low pay
Accounts Specialist / Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 17, 2015
nice team to work with however very low pay and minimal raises. Job gave me a joy and satisfaction. Good experience with my managers.
Pros
nice team to work with
Cons
minimal raises
Not for everyone
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDNovember 13, 2015
Mandatory OT is written into the union contract. If they call you, you have to drop what your doing and go in even on your scheduled days off. Rigid "3-strikes and your out" policy so if you get 3 "occurrences" your information is referred to a group at corporate who determines your fate. They don't take into consideration your overall job performance but only review the "occurrences" - The result is people coming to work sick and contagious so they won't get an occurrence (you get sick time, but still get an occurrence if you need to use it). The only way to avoid an occurrence is to switch shifts with a co-worker. In order to do that you usually have to pay the other person. i.e. "I'll work for you if you pay me $10 for every hour of your shift I work." From what I understand, this was not a corporate approved deal, but just the culture that is a result of their occurrence policy. The benefits are pretty good, and you can make some good money with the OT that is available but overall, you have to fit your life around the job instead of having a job that fits with your life. The company is hyper focused on customer satisfaction, which is great, but in the process have forgotten about the employees. Could be a really great place to work but they've missed the mark in my opinion.
Pros
Good money and benefits
Cons
You're just a number
Fun and active place to work
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 11, 2015
Typical day- being a people person, working with different co-workers everyday, working odd hours, a very physical interactive job
What I've learned- to be flexible, self manage myself and work as a team in the work environment
Management- on our side and helps when in a problem arises
Difficult part- weekly commute from Sacramento/Seattle
Enjoyable part- unpredictability, travel opportunities
Pros
Travel benefits
Cons
Being gone from home half the week, not enough working hours.

4.2