Alaska Commercial Company Employee Reviews

Very cold!
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKDecember 1, 2016
Great experience. Met a lot of nice down to earth people there.
Climate is not for the weak at all.
People need to eat and we provided them with the best we could order.
8 HR. day
Learned to adapt with climate
Management was ok
Co workers were good
Hardest...climate
Fun to see and experience Alaska
friendly coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKAugust 5, 2016
don't really have much to say other then I didn't get much to any benefits with the company. workers for different companies in the store would get better benefits, and they didn't even work at the store! holidays they would make a free dinner for works though so that was alright. pay wise too was alright. I wasn't going to argue about that. co-workers were friendly and easy to talk to. nice and kept a professional work manner in front of customers. The hardest part of the job was having to stand... all... day... but didn't really mind that too much.
Pros
Cons
short breaks, little movment with pay raise.would take too long.
productive and fun workplace
Cashier/Stocker/bagger/facing/Cook (Former Employee) –  Togiak, AKFebruary 22, 2016
was a great start for me to learn my experience as working as a cashier and working with a large group of employees. at the time I was working it was going great up until we had a lot of employees than my hours went down. and the opportunity I had worked my way up to as working in the office changed I had lost trust in the company, but I do believe its just cause of the poor management we currently have out there. sad...
Cons
short breaks
A/C is a great place to work.
Expediter (Former Employee) –  Barrow, AKJuly 31, 2015
Nice friendly environment to work in. When I would arrive in the morning everyone would tell me good morning with a smile. Often my managers would convey to me how hard I was working or what a good job I was doing which would make me feel good and want to work harder. Over all it was a wonderful experience and a pleasure to work there.
Fast pace place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrow,AkFebruary 25, 2015
I would get the cash register and count out the starting money and then I would count the money at the end of my shift. I would greet customers and ask them if they found everything that they needed. And If I was not busy I would clean around my cash register. I learned how to use the credit card machine. The hardest part of my job was to not ring up family. I love my job because it kept me busy and kept money in my pocket for me and my children
good work area, nice breaks, easy to work with management, and easy opportunity for advancing and growth.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Kotzebue, AKNovember 26, 2014
I really liked working here they were nice and very understanding. they had good work breaks and a good environment to work and grow. my duties weren't too hard for me to handle and get overwhelmed with. I liked my hours and got time off when I wanted it for family and personal time. My overall time working here was very pleasant and I wouldn't mind working in this work area once again.
Great place to work for.
ACCOUNTING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 15, 2012
If Alaska Commercial had not sold to the Canadians and moved to Canada, I would still be working for them. I loved this job. I learned multi-unit retail accounting, and was able to put my ideas to use, to save Overtime. The VP Finance, would challenge me, as he knew my limitations, but knew I love to learn and would always challenge me. The management really cared about their employees and would actually listen to them. I also received the Presidents Award that had not been given out in over 25 years. Everyone worked as a TEAM, and Management would acknowledge the team members. I loved working with the outside Auditors and doing Lead Schedules.
Pros
great healthcare, 401k, bonuses
Cons
they sold the company
Productive, fun company to work for.
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kotzebue, AKFebruary 1, 2013
Stock grocery shelves, organize overstock so that it would fit into the back of the store, assist cashiers when needed, answer any customer questions. Learned the importance of having to rotate items on the shelves, so groceries would not expire. Management was friendly, always willing to help if they had time or when we received huge shipments of groceries. Co-workers were friendly, hard working. Hardest part of the job was being the only stocker on schedule during weekend mornings when we received a lot of groceries. Most enjoyable was always busy, no down time.
Pros
fun place to work.
productive & fun and helping to each other and respect to each other
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bristol Bay, AKSeptember 18, 2012
i learned a lot as costomer services, i work evrything the store a lot fun helping to each other, my manager my co-worker is looks like family the store is running good that the time,hardest one in snowing time thin start morning coz i work full time the two jobes that the time, but enjoy im happy meet defrent people.
Pros
no free
Cons
reasonable
I loved my position!
Freight Auditor (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 5, 2013
I was a data entry clerk and I made it look so easy. Although it was not even easy to do, they had me take on a different position that I was not intersted in doing and when I didn't feel comfortable doing both positions they did not want to accomated me. This is one job I did not give a notice for, when I left.
Pros
the company had good benifits.
Cons
that particular manager was not great at her job.
An exceptional opportunity!
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Yakutat, AKAugust 23, 2015
An exceptional company to work for, if you have the opportunity to pursue employment with AC I highly recommend it as they work hard to make sure you are successful and you have a stable work/life balance.
It was an adventure
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  King Cove, AKDecember 25, 2012
Most days started at 6 am and ended at 8 pm. I learned about Western Unions process and how it was a necessity in the small villages of Alaska. My husband and I were a management team for the company and the people that worked for us were very helpful in meeting the locals. I would have to say it was one of the most interesting jobs I have had.
A challenging company that kept you abreast of what was happening.
Accounting Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AlaskaNovember 11, 2011
I started with this company as a purchase order clerk. Within six months with the company they identified my potentials and promoted me into a more deserving position.
Pros
always willing to cross train on various positions
Cons
parent company moved department to another area
fast, fun, a nice company to work for!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKDecember 2, 2013
a good day at work would be fast, fun, and busy with many things to do! I was just starting to learn how to run the office and take payments and other things. Co-workers were all friendly and easy to work with. There was no hardest part of the job for me there everything was pretty easy going.
Its the same thing as Naknek Trading co..
Cashier / Floor Attendant (Former Employee) –  King Salmon, AKSeptember 6, 2012
i did all the same excat work i did at naknek trading co.. i would go and get the deli preped for the cook..get the store ready to open and make sure all the shelves were stocked for the customer
Pros
working with people and helping them out
Cons
short breaks
New experiences and opportunities
GM Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKMarch 7, 2014
I enjoy Having this experience and opportunity to come to Alaska and work in Retail and have room for advancement and meet new people and share different cultures and life lessons with everyone you meet, I am still currently employed with this company I just have a soon to be 4 year old son and living in Bush Alaska comes with many defaults such and opportunity for him and my wife and education I want him to have experience in the real world and not miss anything or not be able to be the best he can be so even thought I enjoyed working with the people I have met along the way and appreciate the many different ways of "Alaska Bush life" its time for me to move on to bigger and better things for a company that will let me shine and reach my Maximum potential. And still allow me to spend some time with my family.
Pros
Housing Assistance
Cons
Not very much time off, and Lack of compasion and not willing to listen to Ideas of the employees that work in the store.
Productive and Fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKMay 27, 2015
I enjoyed working for AC Co and the bosses that I had then were excellent. Great way to interact with different kinds of people and learning to have good customer service
Pros
interacting with customers
Cons
short breaks
Good compensation, good hours as part time
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kotzebue, AKJuly 27, 2015
Overall a good company to work for. Management was helpful, and the co-workers were great. Plenty of hours to be had if you were willing to work.
Good Atmosphere
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 18, 2015
Had great co-workers, everyone is there to get the job done and out. Early hours are great, you get more done and time goes by fast.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
Nothing that i can think of
Amazing opportunities across the state.
Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Bethel, Dillingham, Barrow, KlawockOctober 9, 2012
I loved getting to know all the different people from all over the state in various communities I have lived. Retail Management: Inventory management, customer service, merchandising, loss prevention.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alaska Commercial Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Alaska Commercial Company Reviews by Location