Alaska Commercial Company

Alaska Commercial Company Employee Reviews

Fast pace place
Cashier (Former Employee), Barrow,AkFebruary 25, 2015
I would get the cash register and count out the starting money and then I would count the money at the end of my shift. I would greet customers and ask them if they found everything that they needed. And If I was not busy I would clean around my cash register. I learned how to use the credit card machine. The hardest part of my job was to not ring up family. I love my job because it kept me busy and kept money in my pocket for me and my children
good work area, nice breaks, easy to work with management, and easy opportunity for advancing and growth.
Stocker (Former Employee), Kotzebue, AKNovember 26, 2014
I really liked working here they were nice and very understanding. they had good work breaks and a good environment to work and grow. my duties weren't too hard for me to handle and get overwhelmed with. I liked my hours and got time off when I wanted it for family and personal time. My overall time working here was very pleasant and I wouldn't mind working in this work area once again.
easy
Deli Manager and Cook (Former Employee), Togiak, AKOctober 14, 2014
This job was easy... preheat and serve..I hired people and I ordered all the food
Not well run, low standards abound
Management (Former Employee), AlaskaJune 26, 2014
Pros: the pay is all right, i guess
Cons: everything else
This company claims it has a hiring puddle, but that is of their own creation. The management couples are given too much independence given the technological age we live in. Standards are set far too low and there is little real accountability for workplace infractions.

Advice to those still looking to start with the company despite this review:
1) Be careful how you approach any dispute with current management, as corporate will be reticent to anything about it and may even inflame the situation.
2) Get everything in writing, that is to say, anything that the company promises for you in future (promotion, raises, relocation etc..), you need to get in writing. Verbal guarantees and promises will not amount to anything in the long run. So, try to communicate via email as much as possible during the recruiting process.
3) If this job seems too good to be true, then it's probably because it is. The job itself is not terrible and I found the village life to be reasonably comfortable. If you have high working standards, that is to say if you feel that when something can be done, that it should be done, then you will find yourself quite frustrated with any inter-company dealings.
4) If you are working for another management couple, as either support, or as a manager in training role, then make sure you talk to the management couple, extensively, before you sign any papers or the company spends a dime of relocation costs on you. Try to get the couple to give you pictures of both where you would be working and where you will be living. It seemed, not uncommon, for the rental houses – more... that are provided to be somewhat trashed or in general disrepair. It is only fair to know what you are getting into, 'eyes wide open' as the company puts it. Ask questions about furniture, and do not sign anything until you get pictures and lists of current furniture in your potential housing.
5) Do not necessarily believe what the recruiters and other corporate staff may tell you about the village you would be going to. I found that the information recruiters give you may be inaccurate, as in they painted a far worse picture then really existed as the people were quite nice. The village's history given was also incorrect.

If you are going to work for this company, then I wish you the best of luck, because it is possible to have a good experience with the AC, though that will not be entirely in your hands. – less
New experiences and opportunities
GM Manager (Current Employee), Bethel, AKMarch 7, 2014
Pros: housing assistance
Cons: not very much time off, and lack of compasion and not willing to listen to ideas of the employees that work in the store.
I enjoy Having this experience and opportunity to come to Alaska and work in Retail and have room for advancement and meet new people and share different cultures and life lessons with everyone you meet, I am still currently employed with this company I just have a soon to be 4 year old son and living in Bush Alaska comes with many defaults such and opportunity for him and my wife and education I want him to have experience in the real world and not miss anything or not be able to be the best he can be so even thought I enjoyed working with the people I have met along the way and appreciate the many different ways of "Alaska Bush life" its time for me to move on to bigger and better things for a company that will let me shine and reach my Maximum potential. And still allow me to spend some time with my family.
fast, fun, a nice company to work for!
Cashier (Former Employee), Bethel, AKDecember 2, 2013
a good day at work would be fast, fun, and busy with many things to do! I was just starting to learn how to run the office and take payments and other things. Co-workers were all friendly and easy to work with. There was no hardest part of the job for me there everything was pretty easy going.
working alone without supervision
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Nome, AlaskaApril 10, 2013
Pros: 40 hrs a week
Cons: strange work scedule
strange hours, leaned how to fry donuts, working alone, good team work when others showed up
I loved my position!
Freight Auditor (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKApril 5, 2013
Pros: the company had good benifits.
Cons: that particular manager was not great at her job.
I was a data entry clerk and I made it look so easy. Although it was not even easy to do, they had me take on a different position that I was not intersted in doing and when I didn't feel comfortable doing both positions they did not want to accomated me. This is one job I did not give a notice for, when I left.
Productive, fun company to work for.
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee), Kotzebue, AKFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: fun place to work.
Stock grocery shelves, organize overstock so that it would fit into the back of the store, assist cashiers when needed, answer any customer questions. Learned the importance of having to rotate items on the shelves, so groceries would not expire. Management was friendly, always willing to help if they had time or when we received huge shipments of groceries. Co-workers were friendly, hard working. Hardest part of the job was being the only stocker on schedule during weekend mornings when we received a lot of groceries. Most enjoyable was always busy, no down time.
It was an adventure
Team Leader (Former Employee), King Cove, AKDecember 25, 2012
Most days started at 6 am and ended at 8 pm. I learned about Western Unions process and how it was a necessity in the small villages of Alaska. My husband and I were a management team for the company and the people that worked for us were very helpful in meeting the locals. I would have to say it was one of the most interesting jobs I have had.
Great place to work for.
ACCOUNTING MANAGER (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKOctober 15, 2012
Pros: great healthcare, 401k, bonuses
Cons: they sold the company
If Alaska Commercial had not sold to the Canadians and moved to Canada, I would still be working for them. I loved this job. I learned multi-unit retail accounting, and was able to put my ideas to use, to save Overtime. The VP Finance, would challenge me, as he knew my limitations, but knew I love to learn and would always challenge me. The management really cared about their employees and would actually listen to them. I also received the Presidents Award that had not been given out in over 25 years. Everyone worked as a TEAM, and Management would acknowledge the team members. I loved working with the outside Auditors and doing Lead Schedules.
Amazing opportunities across the state.
Grocery Manager (Former Employee), Bethel, Dillingham, Barrow, KlawockOctober 9, 2012
I loved getting to know all the different people from all over the state in various communities I have lived. Retail Management: Inventory management, customer service, merchandising, loss prevention.
productive & fun and helping to each other and respect to each other
Customer Service (Former Employee), Bristol Bay, AKSeptember 18, 2012
Pros: no free
Cons: reasonable
i learned a lot as costomer services, i work evrything the store a lot fun helping to each other, my manager my co-worker is looks like family the store is running good that the time,hardest one in snowing time thin start morning coz i work full time the two jobes that the time, but enjoy im happy meet defrent people.
Its the same thing as Naknek Trading co..
Cashier / Floor Attendant (Former Employee), King Salmon, AKSeptember 6, 2012
Pros: working with people and helping them out
Cons: short breaks
i did all the same excat work i did at naknek trading co.. i would go and get the deli preped for the cook..get the store ready to open and make sure all the shelves were stocked for the customer
A challenging company that kept you abreast of what was happening.
Accounting Clerk II (Former Employee), Anchorage, AlaskaNovember 11, 2011
Pros: always willing to cross train on various positions
Cons: parent company moved department to another area
I started with this company as a purchase order clerk. Within six months with the company they identified my potentials and promoted me into a more deserving position.