Alaska Commercial Company Employee Reviews

Very team oriented even as a manager my employees loved working for me
Closing Manager/Book Keeper (Former Employee) –  Kotzebue, AKJanuary 5, 2018
I was well respected and had people request to work at the time I worked. We all worked together well under stress to make sure our customers had the best experience we were able to give. I loved the working environment and felt like everyone was treated as an equal and treated with respect. Even as a manager I didn't down grade any one I made sure it was a great environment to work in.
Pros
Paid time off and 2 breaks on an 8 hour shift help to recharge.
Cons
the computer system was very aged and had a lot of issues but we worked through them.
Understand what you are getting into
Manager (Former Employee) –  AlaskaOctober 6, 2017
Moving to the bush is an exciting prospect but make sure you are ready to work 6 of the 7 days of the week no matter what the recruiter tells you, your work life balance will not be so great. Health insurance for a family is insanely expensive as far as deductibles are concerned. If you get stuck with a poor branch manager good luck because there is no training program and there is not professional development.
Pros
Discount on general merchandise, paid housing
Cons
work life balance, health insurance, lack of direction/structure
Fun co-workers and management. Stressful.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  King Salmon, AKSeptember 7, 2017
Co-workers and management fun to be around but job overall was stressful and dis-organized. Management always getting different and new information from higher ups which made it hard to do our job properly.
Challenging position and environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  AlaskaJuly 17, 2017
Not for the faint of heart. No work place balance it's all work, which is not all bad depending on where you work. Some towns are beautiful while others are not. You must be open to respecting local cultures and people to make this work. Some management is laid back and inclusive while others are not. The environment is always a challenge beautiful but deadly at times.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
No work/play balance, cost of living is a shock.
Learned a lot about myself.
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKJuly 5, 2017
Productive and fun workplace with safe and friendly atmosphere. I learned how to work under pressure with deadlines. The hardest part of the job was moving heavy objects for short or long periods of time.
Pros
Discount on store items.
Cons
High turnover rate.
Was a fub busy work place
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Aniak, AKJune 17, 2017
I liked working at the store that was all I knew since I was of age to work i have great customer service worked as a cashier stocker and an office clerk
Open the store supervise the store evening time and even would take turns on closing the store so off and on for 12 years I was in retail
Busy yet fun workplace
Sandwich Artist, Barista (Former Employee) –  Barrow, AKJune 5, 2017
Prepping and serving sandwiches, pizzas, ice cream and coffee, as well as stocking items as needed, assisting customers. Fun environment for a grocery store.
it was productive and benifits was good
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKJanuary 18, 2017
my day at work was nice and organized, managers were very helpful and responded to assistance when needed, of whilch with I, it was minimal.
Pros
had emplyee beniftis
Cons
breaks was getting shorter and shorter
Very cold!
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Nome, AKDecember 1, 2016
Great experience. Met a lot of nice down to earth people there.
Climate is not for the weak at all.
People need to eat and we provided them with the best we could order.
8 HR. day
Learned to adapt with climate
Management was ok
Co workers were good
Hardest...climate
Fun to see and experience Alaska
friendly coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKAugust 5, 2016
don't really have much to say other then I didn't get much to any benefits with the company. workers for different companies in the store would get better benefits, and they didn't even work at the store! holidays they would make a free dinner for works though so that was alright. pay wise too was alright. I wasn't going to argue about that. co-workers were friendly and easy to talk to. nice and kept a professional work manner in front of customers. The hardest part of the job was having to stand... all... day... but didn't really mind that too much.
Pros
Cons
short breaks, little movment with pay raise.would take too long.
productive and fun workplace
Cashier/Stocker/bagger/facing/Cook (Former Employee) –  Togiak, AKFebruary 22, 2016
was a great start for me to learn my experience as working as a cashier and working with a large group of employees. at the time I was working it was going great up until we had a lot of employees than my hours went down. and the opportunity I had worked my way up to as working in the office changed I had lost trust in the company, but I do believe its just cause of the poor management we currently have out there. sad...
Cons
short breaks
An exceptional opportunity!
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Yakutat, AKAugust 23, 2015
An exceptional company to work for, if you have the opportunity to pursue employment with AC I highly recommend it as they work hard to make sure you are successful and you have a stable work/life balance.
A/C is a great place to work.
Expediter (Former Employee) –  Barrow, AKJuly 31, 2015
Nice friendly environment to work in. When I would arrive in the morning everyone would tell me good morning with a smile. Often my managers would convey to me how hard I was working or what a good job I was doing which would make me feel good and want to work harder. Over all it was a wonderful experience and a pleasure to work there.
Good compensation, good hours as part time
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kotzebue, AKJuly 27, 2015
Overall a good company to work for. Management was helpful, and the co-workers were great. Plenty of hours to be had if you were willing to work.
Good Atmosphere
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 18, 2015
Had great co-workers, everyone is there to get the job done and out. Early hours are great, you get more done and time goes by fast.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
Nothing that i can think of
Productive and Fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKMay 27, 2015
I enjoyed working for AC Co and the bosses that I had then were excellent. Great way to interact with different kinds of people and learning to have good customer service
Pros
interacting with customers
Cons
short breaks
Fast pace place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrow,AkFebruary 25, 2015
I would get the cash register and count out the starting money and then I would count the money at the end of my shift. I would greet customers and ask them if they found everything that they needed. And If I was not busy I would clean around my cash register. I learned how to use the credit card machine. The hardest part of my job was to not ring up family. I love my job because it kept me busy and kept money in my pocket for me and my children
good work area, nice breaks, easy to work with management, and easy opportunity for advancing and growth.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Kotzebue, AKNovember 26, 2014
I really liked working here they were nice and very understanding. they had good work breaks and a good environment to work and grow. my duties weren't too hard for me to handle and get overwhelmed with. I liked my hours and got time off when I wanted it for family and personal time. My overall time working here was very pleasant and I wouldn't mind working in this work area once again.
easy
Deli Manager and Cook (Former Employee) –  Togiak, AKOctober 14, 2014
This job was easy... preheat and serve..I hired people and I ordered all the food
Not well run, low standards abound
Management (Former Employee) –  AlaskaJune 26, 2014
This company claims it has a hiring puddle, but that is of their own creation. The management couples are given too much independence given the technological age we live in. Standards are set far too low and there is little real accountability for workplace infractions.

Advice to those still looking to start with the company despite this review:
1) Be careful how you approach any dispute with current management, as corporate will be reticent to anything about it and may even inflame the situation.
2) Get everything in writing, that is to say, anything that the company promises for you in future (promotion, raises, relocation etc..), you need to get in writing. Verbal guarantees and promises will not amount to anything in the long run. So, try to communicate via email as much as possible during the recruiting process.
3) If this job seems too good to be true, then it's probably because it is. The job itself is not terrible and I found the village life to be reasonably comfortable. If you have high working standards, that is to say if you feel that when something can be done, that it should be done, then you will find yourself quite frustrated with any inter-company dealings.
4) If you are working for another management couple, as either support, or as a manager in training role, then make sure you talk to the management couple, extensively, before you sign any papers or the company spends a dime of relocation costs on you. Try to get the couple to give you pictures of both where you would be working and where you will be living. It seemed, not uncommon,
  more... for the rental houses that are provided to be somewhat trashed or in general disrepair. It is only fair to know what you are getting into, 'eyes wide open' as the company puts it. Ask questions about furniture, and do not sign anything until you get pictures and lists of current furniture in your potential housing.
5) Do not necessarily believe what the recruiters and other corporate staff may tell you about the village you would be going to. I found that the information recruiters give you may be inaccurate, as in they painted a far worse picture then really existed as the people were quite nice. The village's history given was also incorrect.

If you are going to work for this company, then I wish you the best of luck, because it is possible to have a good experience with the AC, though that will not be entirely in your hands.
Pros
the pay is all right, I guess
Cons
everything else