Alaska Commercial Company

Alaska Commercial Company Employer Reviews

New experiences and opportunities
GM Manager (Current Employee), Bethel, AKMarch 7, 2014
Pros: housing assistance
Cons: not very much time off, and lack of compasion and not willing to listen to ideas of the employees that work in the store.
I enjoy Having this experience and opportunity to come to Alaska and work in Retail and have room for advancement and meet new people and share different cultures and life lessons with everyone you meet, I am still currently employed with this company I just have a soon to be 4 year old son and living in Bush Alaska comes with many defaults such and – more... opportunity for him and my wife and education I want him to have experience in the real world and not miss anything or not be able to be the best he can be so even thought I enjoyed working with the people I have met along the way and appreciate the many different ways of "Alaska Bush life" its time for me to move on to bigger and better things for a company that will let me shine and reach my Maximum potential. And still allow me to spend some time with my family. – less
fast, fun, a nice company to work for!
Cashier (Former Employee), Bethel, AKDecember 2, 2013
a good day at work would be fast, fun, and busy with many things to do! I was just starting to learn how to run the office and take payments and other things. Co-workers were all friendly and easy to work with. There was no hardest part of the job for me there everything was pretty easy going.
working alone without supervision
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Nome, AlaskaApril 10, 2013
Pros: 40 hrs a week
Cons: strange work scedule
strange hours, leaned how to fry donuts, working alone, good team work when others showed up
I loved my position!
Freight Auditor (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKApril 5, 2013
Pros: the company had good benifits.
Cons: that particular manager was not great at her job.
I was a data entry clerk and I made it look so easy. Although it was not even easy to do, they had me take on a different position that I was not intersted in doing and when I didn't feel comfortable doing both positions they did not want to accomated me. This is one job I did not give a notice for, when I left.
Productive, fun company to work for.
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee), Kotzebue, AKFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: fun place to work.
Stock grocery shelves, organize overstock so that it would fit into the back of the store, assist cashiers when needed, answer any customer questions. Learned the importance of having to rotate items on the shelves, so groceries would not expire. Management was friendly, always willing to help if they had time or when we received huge shipments of groceries. – more... Co-workers were friendly, hard working. Hardest part of the job was being the only stocker on schedule during weekend mornings when we received a lot of groceries. Most enjoyable was always busy, no down time. – less
It was an adventure
Team Leader (Former Employee), King Cove, AKDecember 25, 2012
Most days started at 6 am and ended at 8 pm. I learned about Western Unions process and how it was a necessity in the small villages of Alaska. My husband and I were a management team for the company and the people that worked for us were very helpful in meeting the locals. I would have to say it was one of the most interesting jobs I have had.
Great place to work for.
ACCOUNTING MANAGER (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKOctober 15, 2012
Pros: great healthcare, 401k, bonuses
Cons: they sold the company
If Alaska Commercial had not sold to the Canadians and moved to Canada, I would still be working for them. I loved this job. I learned multi-unit retail accounting, and was able to put my ideas to use, to save Overtime. The VP Finance, would challenge me, as he knew my limitations, but knew I love to learn and would always challenge me. The management – more... really cared about their employees and would actually listen to them. I also received the Presidents Award that had not been given out in over 25 years. Everyone worked as a TEAM, and Management would acknowledge the team members. I loved working with the outside Auditors and doing Lead Schedules. – less
Amazing opportunities across the state.
Grocery Manager (Former Employee), Bethel, Dillingham, Barrow, KlawockOctober 9, 2012
I loved getting to know all the different people from all over the state in various communities I have lived. Retail Management: Inventory management, customer service, merchandising, loss prevention.
productive & fun and helping to each other and respect to each other
Customer Service (Former Employee), Bristol Bay, AKSeptember 18, 2012
Pros: no free
Cons: reasonable
i learned a lot as costomer services, i work evrything the store a lot fun helping to each other, my manager my co-worker is looks like family the store is running good that the time,hardest one in snowing time thin start morning coz i work full time the two jobes that the time, but enjoy im happy meet defrent people.
Its the same thing as Naknek Trading co..
Cashier / Floor Attendant (Former Employee), King Salmon, AKSeptember 6, 2012
Pros: working with people and helping them out
Cons: short breaks
i did all the same excat work i did at naknek trading co.. i would go and get the deli preped for the cook..get the store ready to open and make sure all the shelves were stocked for the customer
A challenging company that kept you abreast of what was happening.
Accounting Clerk II (Former Employee), Anchorage, AlaskaNovember 11, 2011
Pros: always willing to cross train on various positions
Cons: parent company moved department to another area
I started with this company as a purchase order clerk. Within six months with the company they identified my potentials and promoted me into a more deserving position.