Alaska Industrial Hardware Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
fun and productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 1, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of walking your section, making a check list of things the need to be completed. After that you do the things on the check list while helping customers locate product or answering any questions they might have. Once youve completed the list i would go and put freight out into the proper locations and once that was finished I would help other associates or managers with any projects that needed to be completed. At closing three people would have to do "chores" that consisted of cleaning the floors, cleaning the bathrooms, or taking the trash out. Everyone else would put freight out and front and face the store
Trust Goes a Long Way
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 6, 2014
AIH started from the ground up as an old-fashioned, humble Alaska company decades ago. The company has grown tremendously thanks to its loyal customers who know they can come to any AIH store in the state and receive more knowledge and recommendations about manual or power tools than they ever could from another non-local hardware store. If you work hard and develop a strong knowledge of the products sold, someone will notice. Management is hit or miss depending on who works when; at least that was my personal experience. A few things immature in a professional workplace such as personal grudges and extra-long "smoke breaks" are consistent are existent, though I would still like to believe that most poor employees are handled with responsibly.
all around good company with support for employees
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wasilla, AKMay 4, 2014
I enjoyed working for this company very much, this was a place you look forward to going each day. pay was not the best but you could work as many hours as you liked. the customer always came first.
Pros
friendly enviroment
Cons
not enouph pay for job
Nice people. Good place to work, but frustrating job.
Advertising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 14, 2014
my job was to try to barter with manufacturers. What was frustrating was that I had no training and no experience in contra advertizing. It was soon found to be an impossible venture at AIH.
I had to go through several channels on my end,while trying to negotiate with someone who already has the authority to make a deal. The concept was put to bed and I was out of a job.
I would have enjoyed working at AIH in a different capacity. The employees were all friendly and happy. Perhaps directly in sales to customers.
Pros
busy place, friendly people
Customer Service
Floor Manager (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 18, 2013
Customer Service was the #1 priority at AIH. We always new that the customer was right and wanted to provide top notch service to each and every person.
benefits
Cons
management
Great job for gaining warehouse experience.
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 29, 2013
7am to 4pm Monday through Friday. Learned how to operate a variety of fork lifts, & basics of shipping & receiving. I got along great with my immediate supervisors & co-workers. The most dificult part of the job to me was taking yearly inventory in cold storage in January. Overall the most enjoyable part of the job was organizing the warehouse. Unloading freight, checking in merchandise, stocking, operating fork lifts, & training new employees.
Pros
401k, on the job training, paid holidays, sick leave, paid vacation.
Fantastic Company The Allows You To Grow With It
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 6, 2012
I truly enjoyed my time at Alaska Industrial Hardware. It is a company that you can start at any level and advance yourself as far as you are capable of. It was also a company that appreciated its employees and made for a comfortable work environment.

A typical work day was to first and foremost take care of customer needs in product knowledge and location. Stocking and daily store maintenance was also involved.

The best and most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers find the products that would take care of the problems or challenges they were faced with.
its a great place to work good management to work with
Shipping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 3, 2012
great place to work busy place and fast paced you have to be able to adjust at any moment due to the demands of the job
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
just to far from home
very good entry level job
Combat Engineer, U.S. Army Ft. Richardson (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 31, 2012
it is great place to work if you are a college kid looking for a summer job

4.3