Alaska Native Medical Center Employee Reviews

Good
Level II Trauma Emergency Room Nurse-RN II (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 3, 2017
ANMC has been going thru- new development and administrative/management restructuring. This is a work in progress, that can cause stress in the working environment.
Pros
excellent benifits
Cons
IHS population is continually rewarded for bad behavior/work place violence is frequent
Best healthcare facility to work at in the US
Clinical Case Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 13, 2017
I love this beautiful technical, modern, teaching, cultural facility. People are very welcoming, friendly, accepting, helpful. I just wish Alaska winter wasn't so long!
Staff Nurse, Clinical Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 9, 2017
Great place to work. Staff is very good to work with. Very good managers. If you want to be a leader and take on any projects you get a lot of support from management.
Pros
Good vacation/work/life balance
Cons
pays less than other hospitals
Mostly good.
Supply Technician I (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 6, 2017
My experience at AMNC has been mostly good. My only complaints are that there seems to be little room for advancement (at least in my line of work), employees are given too much leeway when it becomes to work adverse behaviours, and the hiring practices seem a little off.
Always great to see familiar faces
Medical Coding/Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 14, 2016
Quiet, fast paced at times, very uniform group of individuals, always willing to help when needed.
Was great to be a part of the Cerner program when it was being placed at ANTHC, training was exciting and enjoyed learning a new program.

Hardest part was going through the difficult transition of Supervisors in a short period.
Pros
Always see People from Home
Cons
keeping up with those that have been there a while
Great group of people to work with
Registered Nurse/Research Nurse (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 5, 2016
The clinical research services section is a great group of people to work with; everyone loves their work and challenges each other to excel in their specialty.
A fun place to work and keep.
Guest Service Host (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 1, 2016
A typical day at work was always exciting, meeting new people from all over the work and seeing different people all week long, I learned that the outsiders are very curious about us natives, and they ask all kinds of questions, and a lot of them that I met planned to come to Alaska all their lives and save money to see how Alaska looks like. I managed to enjoy working over time, enjoyed working with my co-workers, and I don't recall I had any hard time. I mostly enjoyed working there all summer till my job ended.
I enjoyed being able to be in direct contact with patients
Care Coordination Agent (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 21, 2016
As a Care Coordination agent I was able to be in contact with patients from the hospital on many different levels. I liked being able to make patients travel reservations and check them into their hotel along with submitting prior authorizations through the Medicaid system.
A wonderful opportunity that aloud for so much growth
Sterile Processing Technician II (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 24, 2016
A wonderful place to work that privided so much opportunity and growth in advancement. Over all a fantastic environment
Pros
Wondeful benefits
Cons
Not enough support staff
Alaska Native
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  anchorageSeptember 29, 2015
Worked there for about eight months, didn't like it. Was not my first choice for work right after graduating and it showed. I was more or less pushed toward this job due to my nationality as an AK native by my professors. Inexperience earns you a night shift position. Only night shift med techs were competent to run calibration and QC on the vast majority of instruments. So if you didnt quite have the time to do all the QC and get it in because you had to do weekly maintenance on both chemistry analyzers and it happened to be a busy night, you herd about it from a supervisor down the road because day shift complained that we didn't do our job. A micocosm of typical work enviornment in the main lab. Not so sure about micro-lab.
Pros
larg lab, on par pay with other hospitals in the area
Cons
short breaks, extreamly by the book
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 21, 2015
ANMC is very well managed and they care for patients and employees alike. I would like to work there as a nurse.

Anchorage, Alaska
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Short breaks
Excellent Company to work with
Review and Analysis Technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 17, 2015
I loved working with the people at Alaska Native Medical Center. The customers I worked with were wonderful people to serve.
Pros
The people I worked with
Cons
Not enough hours to work with the people
Interesting place to work
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 7, 2015
The best part is the native dancing, drumming and singing that happens most nights and you can hear it in the hallways between ER and radiology.
Worked in Operating Room assisting Medical staff with equipment and assisting with patients
Operating Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 20, 2015
Everyone work with respect and respect to the patients culture and belief.I liked how they had Monday meetings before the week started. Everyone worked with each other even at stressful times with patients or with staff. The crew i worked with had a very good charge nurse. She knows her role and what policy and procedures to follow at times when we had questions for patient care.
Pros
Weekly meetings with staff -
Cons
short staff
liked
RN TRAVELER (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 13, 2014
I really enjoy working here. I get to work and get report on my patients. Go meet and assess my patients. Administer meds, follow MD orders.
Pros
friendly
Cons
ANMC has fun activities like snowshoe sofball and great potlucks.
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 19, 2014
ANMC is a fun place to work. It is a newer hospital and it has some of the most amazing native art throughout the building, The stairwells have tiny pieces of ivory art that has all been done by hand. The hospital it truly a museum. The gift shop has earring that are mad from hand crafted by women who have reached eighty. One such wonderful lady has an art display at the Smithsonian. I would love to say her name but maybe whoever read this can go to ANMC and learn for themselves. I would love to still be in Alaska but my husband cannot tolerate the cold. It is a great place to visit and the most friendly people around.
Pros
Excellent food for very low prices in the dining room. My favorite was the sandwich bar.
Cons
Sometimes you feel al little earthquake coming but the building is built on rollers.
People were friendly and respect your dignity.
Purchasing Agent, Material Management (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 20, 2014
A typical day at work was just not typical but to learn new things everyday was a challenge. I have learned that you learn something new everyday. Management was good in training, because they made sure what they provide for every employee was either beneficial for the entire company or your job. My co-workers were respected with dignity, integrity and see you as who you are and not what you are not. And not put on a false smile and later turn around and did not care about you. The hardest part of the job was working in a basement with no windows and proper ventilation. The most enjoyable part of the job was coming to work and enjoy each new innovation.
Pros
Retirement
Cons
one half hour lunch
Productive and fun work place
Medical Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 29, 2014
I loved working within ANTHC. It was a busy place to be but I sure enjoyed it! I have learned how to deal with patients, customers. I work well with my co-workers and supervisors. I have the most respect for everyone I work with.
Enjoyed learning a new culture.
ED, Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 29, 2014
The Alaska Native medical Center introduced me to the Alaska native culture. It was a good place to learn the Native culture and the health concerns associated with them. Also being the highest level health facility in Alaska gave me the opportunity to work with high acuity traumas. The only reason I left so fast was the opportunity to become a flight nurse.
Productive fun workplace
Lab Assistant/Histology (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 16, 2013
Prepared Histologic slides for microscopic examination. Prepared sections of human tissue for immediate examination, using rapid tissue processing plus frozen section techniques to freeze, cut, and mount stained tissue specimens from surgery. Prepared slides of specimens using special stains to enhance visibility under the microscope. Examined slides under the microscope to make sure tissue preparation meets laboratory standards. Assisted in Autopsy's.