Alaska Regional Hospital

Alaska Regional Hospital United States Employee Reviews

High quality care, an efficent work enviroment,excellent medical benefits
Perioperative Services as same Day surgery nurse (Current Employee), anchorage alaskaApril 7, 2015
Pros: CEO visit departments frequently, benefits are great, able to transfer from one HCA to another
Cons: all nurses have to wear the same color
work day starts at 0600 and ends at 1630,day starts out with approximately 12 OR surgical patients to prepare for surgery.
multiple IV starts, blood draws,meds to pass,clip and scrub op sites, apply SCD's and Teds. Assisst with blocks and epidurals. documentaion of patient assesment and meds given and procedures that were done. Float to radiolgy to start IV;s and or place urinary catheter. Float to phase II Recovery. Float to Preadmission testing to interview next day patients. co-workers are very open to helping each other we are very team oriented. hardest part of the job is going to work at 0600. the most enjoyable is working and interacting with the patients and their families. immediate management is experienced but new to our hospital , very knowledgeable. or management is ok not alot of experience , manager of PACU has just quit so that position is vacant at this time but she was great and very organized
Outsourcing agency (IMS) has taken over SPD
Sterile Processing Tech (Current Employee), Anchorage, AKFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: friendly nurses
Cons: no breaks
Once a great place to work, now it is a miserable place to work since IMS has taken over sterile processing dept. Low morale, micromanaged, relies on informants to report back any thing done or said on the floor. Understaffed, over worked. No breaks.
Best hospital in Alaska
Emergency Room Technician, Orthopedic Technician (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKNovember 11, 2014
Pros: the people
Cons: smells like hospital disinfectant
ARH is the smallest of the major hospitals in Anchorage, and as a result it is the most personalized for patients. The hospital is staffed by the best nurses in the world and the hospital is full of great personalities. It is where I go for treatment in AK and where I would be applying for jobs if I were in AK.
fairly good place to work
File Clerk/Secretary (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: a little high stress
I worked here 10 years ago so this is a little old. Since I worked there it has also gone from a public hospital to a private hospital so things may have changed, but while I worked there they had excellent benefits and the work environment was very good.
Support Staff Warning
PBX Operator (Former Employee), PBXAugust 16, 2014
Pros: barista
Cons: horrible working conditions
There isn't enough room on the page to write all the different situations that happened to me while an employee. I surrendered my badge to Human Resources after three weeks.
Sonographer (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKJune 17, 2014
Pros: friendly staff, oprptunity to advance
Cons: small cafeteria
This is a great atmosphere. Because it is the smaller hospital in Anchorage, everybody is very close knit and look out for each other. Overall, a great work environment.
Supportive staff
Patient Access Registrar (Current Employee), Anchorage AKMay 21, 2014
Management and co-workers are supportive. Job is minimal.
BEST PLACE TO WORK !!!
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKDecember 22, 2013
Pros: wonderful place to work.
Cons: no cons !!!
I would still be there had the Army Corps of Engineers not transferred my husband to Hawaii. You will not find a better place to work- Caring, Compassionate, friendly, kind employees and Docs. They treat everyone great, and no favoritism. I miss it.
Good place to work.
Night Shift MLT (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKNovember 27, 2013
Good equipment, ok environment, good benefits, good pay, great hours.
SMALLER SURGICAL FACILITY
RN (Current Employee), Anchorage, AKNovember 17, 2013
Pros: smaller
Cons: owned by a large corporate group
ADVANCED ORTHOPEDIC AND NEUROSURGIACL FACILITY. WELL DEVELOPED PROGRAMS OF CARE DELIVERY. A FULL SERVICE FACILITY FOR OTHERWISE FOR ER, OBSTETRICS,ICU/CCU, CATH LABS ECT.
very fun and friendly family oriented place to work
Security Guard (Current Employee), Anchorage, AKJune 27, 2013
A typical day at work consist of a lot of walking, reports, radio transmissions, and quick decision making. There is a lot of different cultures here and dealing with the public i learn several different styles of living. The management here is very efficient. The hardest part of my job is mainly dealing with families when they are experiencing the loss of a loved one. the most enjoyable part is being part of a team that helps so many day in and day out.
The ups and downs at Alaska Regional Hospital
RN (Current Employee), Anchorage, AKApril 22, 2013
Pros: free employee clinic, a very good wage.
Cons: poor communication, its hard to get requested time off.
A typical day at work starts at 7 and ends at 7:30 depending on day or night shift. Your work load can depend on the number of new admits and the amount of staffing durring your shift. Staffing can be changed at any time of your shift and your patient load can change at any time. As a chage nurse I have learned how to deal with these changes with staffing in order to make smooth transititions for my staff. Management is not available durring night shift except for the House Supervisior. Most communication is done through e-mail. Most of my co-workers are experenced nurses with a few nurses with 1 or 2 years of experence. The hardest part of my job is dealing with upset co-workers who are upset with fellow co-works and new policies they disagree with. The most enjoyable part of my job is the actual contact with diffrent patients and the quick recovery from their orthopedic surgery.
Great little hospital but poorly managed from afar
Registered Nurse - Critical Care Unit (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKMarch 20, 2013
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: union, upper managment
Alaska Regional Hospital is small enough for employees to feel like family. The biggest drawback is that its an HCA facility, which means the corporation back in the lower 48 states tries to make policy that doesn't apply in AK. Oh, and the union (local teamsters - figure that out) that represents nurses is receiving kickbacks from the hospital, so they have a conflict of interest when negotiating on your behalf and aren't work much. But unions haven't been relevant for a while now, and it's really not enough of a negative to not recommend this facility.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: self scheduling, easy going co-workers
Cons: short breaks, 24-48 hour call
My typical day at work would included 30-40 surgery patients that would come through the PACU; maybe 1/3 of those would be inpatients. PACU patients could be anything from colonoscopy with anesthesia to cardioid endartectomy. When needed I was charge nurse. I also precepted nursing students for UAA and oriented new hires to the unit.
The hardest part of the job is balancing; moving patients out of recovery ( phase I and II are in the same room) to allow new post surgical patients into recovery.
I loved assisting Anesthesia with picc lines and blocks.
My co-workers are the best, you never felt alone; Great team work.
I loved the critical care aspect of the job. To be able to identify problems before they became critical.
Very professional place towork
Outpatient Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKDecember 28, 2012
Pros: interaction with patients of all ages.
Cons: short breaks
Worked as outpatient phlebotomist. I learned a lot about different tests as far as blood collection, different technique and met a lot of really nice people. Management was great very professional and understanding. The hardest part of the job was to learn all new computer data entry at the start of training. Most enjoyable part was the opportunity to grow and learn new things on daily basis.
Wide in Scope
Call Manager System Operator (Current Employee), Anchorage, AKDecember 4, 2012
Pros: employees are shown appreciation often, baskets, meals, holiday ham, contests/prizes
Cons: it's still a job, you have to go most days
A day is busy with you being surprised by something new, usually someone did it or said it . ARH offers a dense amount of talented indiviuals who like what they do, which spills over on everyone coming through our doors. It feels close as an employee and management too, is a part of a good day.
A company where you feel like you can have a long standing career position and be openly precocious in your job.
Your friends are your family
ER/ICU RN (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKOctober 27, 2012
Pros: flexible scheduling
Cons: tough to take breaks related to the fast paced nature
ICU: I loved the staff I worked with, 3-12 hour shifts with 1 on-call/2 weeks was fantastic (ALWAYS availability for overtime). Unit supervisor/charge nurse was great working schedules to accommodate needs. Worst part was the occasional float to the step-down unit
Loved my job
Admitting Clerk (Former Employee), Anchorage, AKAugust 22, 2012
I loved going to work everyday. I got to interact with the public in a more positive way. My boss was great, she was there to always offer us assistance when we needed it.

About Alaska Regional Hospital

For more than 45 years Alaska Regional has been fulfilling the medical needs of Alaskans, continually improving the scope of services – Read more