Alaska Regional Hospital Employee Reviews

Na
Inpatient and Outpatient Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 7, 2017
Inpatient and Outpatient Phlebotomist. Well over 1,500 blood draws in a little over three years, I worked varied shifts consisting of early morning, all day, night shifts, over night shifts, and every other shift in between. I have experience with patients as well as situations of all types. I have worked with infants, geriatrics, adolescents, conscious and unconscious people, post and pre-operative patients, inpatient floor rounds in a six floor hospital, emergency room as well as trauma. Actively participated in statewide (local & out of town) health fairs, and was also the outpatient mobile Phlebomist for a little over a year at a children's behavioral center; Northstar Behavioral Treatment Center/ Northstar Hospital.
Difficult corporate life.
Imaging Technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 16, 2016
Worked here for 2 years and have seen a lot of changes for the worse. Management and HR in particular have no interest in the employees' wellbeing nor their work/life balance. Beware midlevel management, especially in radiology.
Pros
Medical mistakes are overlooked if you are well liked.
Cons
Call shifts, disingenuous supervisors and directors.
Good environment and equipment.
Sonographer (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 1, 2017
Alaska Regional was a positive note in my career, with strong leadership and fair supervision of a busy schedule. They are dedicated to providing the techs with up to date equipment and techniques.
Pros
Well managed.
Cons
minimal upward mobility
Great coworkers,friendly atmosphere
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 12, 2017
I enjoyed my time here- loved my coworkers. Did have to work short staffed often due to high census but we made it work, floated fairly often too. Small hospital with friendly atmosphere. Union provides funding for CEs.
Positive and supportive atmosphere
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 20, 2016
As a student nurse I cannot speak to the compensation or job security. I experienced positivity and support from my preceptor and all of the nurses on the unit. The nurse educators who set up my preceptorship would check in with me to make sure everything was working out well.
large or fully staffed
CST (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 21, 2016
staffed 24 hr shifts. Has total joints, neuro, heart program, davinci. Spd not fully staffed when I left so was a problem.
Pros
enough staff, have leads for all specialties
Cons
if busy won't get lunch
Great team work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 7, 2016
Absolutely a great place to work if you have a desire to provide high quality pt care. Everyone below management understands the importance of team work and proper training.. They are more than willing to help you become a better care provider. That said, you are held to a high standard once they believe you can meet it.
I enjoyed working with the ladies and I had a tremendous boss and manager. I hated having to quit at the time as I had a bowel resection.
Tom Kent, Manager Medical Records (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99508April 9, 2016
I give it thumbs up and would work there anytime if I still lived in Alaska, probably would seek a clerical job as I no longer want to do transcription even though I enjoyed it at the time. Can be stressful if doctors are difficult to understand and work must be accurate due to importance of the reports.
Pros
Salary and benefits were good including bonuses for work done well and on time.
Cons
Traveling to the hospital in the winter on bad roads, especially if working nights.
One of the best jobs I have ever had
Registration Emergency Room Lead (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 16, 2016
work day was always new, fresh and fun! Management was great and the medical and office staff was like having another family
Pros
Willing to go above and beyond for their employees
Cons
Was not able to advance withing the company under their current ownership
RN (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 1, 2016
Alaska Regional Hospital was a great place to work. The people are loyal to the hospital despite some very long and hard shifts at times.
Could use a face-lift, but that is coming in the future.
Pros
Plenty of opportunity for education
Cons
Needed more help in SPD
ARH is the best place to work.
PCA/Nurse Aid (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 10, 2015
I don't missed the weather in Alaska but i do missed the all people in ARH specially in the PCU and Pre-OP. ARH is not the biggest hospital in Alaska but is the best and better hospital in Alaska. If i ever go back to Alaska i would rather be working at the ARH. Not only the benefit's are good but everyone treated me like a family.They have the best Orthopedic doctor,Heart doctor,Anesthesia doctors and Endoscopy doctors.
Pros
Treated everyone in the same level, full of positive people, good heart and is fun to work with.
Cons
NO Cons!!
Warning!!! Work there at your own risk
CT Technologist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 18, 2015
There isn't enough room on the page to write about all the different situations that happened to me while an employee. I surrendered my badge to Human Resources after 11 months. The supervisor is crude, and obnoxious and comes and goes as she pleases, and co-workers on the day shift are a mix of individuals with psychotic personalities. Be prepared for bullying with little support from management to correct the problem. Management falls short on a lot of levels. The hospital projects a persona of being a great medical facility and it is not. It is just mediocre at best. EPIC electronic medical record is a total nightmare.
Pros
Great coffee cart
Cons
Managment falls short from the top down.
Wonderful Place to Work
Patient Access Registrar (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 12, 2015
This hospital is an amazing place to work.
Your not just apart of a company when working here.
You are apart of a family.
The hardest thing about the job is working with a lot of different people and job titles.
I love meeting all kinds of people and their stories.
Pros
discount lunch, great staff, good benifits
Cons
short lunch breaks, crowed space, not enough waiting area
Wide in Scope
Call Manager System Operator (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 4, 2012
A day is busy with you being surprised by something new, usually someone did it or said it . ARH offers a dense amount of talented indiviuals who like what they do, which spills over on everyone coming through our doors. It feels close as an employee and management too, is a part of a good day.
A company where you feel like you can have a long standing career position and be openly precocious in your job.
Pros
employees are shown appreciation often, baskets, meals, holiday ham, contests/prizes
Cons
it's still a job, you have to go most days
very fun and friendly family oriented place to work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 27, 2013
A typical day at work consist of a lot of walking, reports, radio transmissions, and quick decision making. There is a lot of different cultures here and dealing with the public i learn several different styles of living. The management here is very efficient. The hardest part of my job is mainly dealing with families when they are experiencing the loss of a loved one. the most enjoyable part is being part of a team that helps so many day in and day out.
Very professional place towork
Outpatient Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 28, 2012
Worked as outpatient phlebotomist. I learned a lot about different tests as far as blood collection, different technique and met a lot of really nice people. Management was great very professional and understanding. The hardest part of the job was to learn all new computer data entry at the start of training. Most enjoyable part was the opportunity to grow and learn new things on daily basis.
Pros
interaction with patients of all ages.
Cons
short breaks
Great little hospital but poorly managed from afar
Registered Nurse - Critical Care Unit (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 20, 2013
Alaska Regional Hospital is small enough for employees to feel like family. The biggest drawback is that its an HCA facility, which means the corporation back in the lower 48 states tries to make policy that doesn't apply in AK. Oh, and the union (local teamsters - figure that out) that represents nurses is receiving kickbacks from the hospital, so they have a conflict of interest when negotiating on your behalf and aren't work much. But unions haven't been relevant for a while now, and it's really not enough of a negative to not recommend this facility.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
union, upper managment
Best hospital in Alaska
Emergency Room Technician, Orthopedic Technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 11, 2014
ARH is the smallest of the major hospitals in Anchorage, and as a result it is the most personalized for patients. The hospital is staffed by the best nurses in the world and the hospital is full of great personalities. It is where I go for treatment in AK and where I would be applying for jobs if I were in AK.
Pros
the people
Cons
smells like hospital disinfectant
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 31, 2013
My typical day at work would included 30-40 surgery patients that would come through the PACU; maybe 1/3 of those would be inpatients. PACU patients could be anything from colonoscopy with anesthesia to cardioid endartectomy. When needed I was charge nurse. I also precepted nursing students for UAA and oriented new hires to the unit.
The hardest part of the job is balancing; moving patients out of recovery ( phase I and II are in the same room) to allow new post surgical patients into recovery.
I loved assisting Anesthesia with picc lines and blocks.
My co-workers are the best, you never felt alone; Great team work.
I loved the critical care aspect of the job. To be able to identify problems before they became critical.
Pros
self scheduling, easy going co-workers
Cons
short breaks, 24-48 hour call
Your friends are your family
ER/ICU RN (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 27, 2012
ICU: I loved the staff I worked with, 3-12 hour shifts with 1 on-call/2 weeks was fantastic (ALWAYS availability for overtime). Unit supervisor/charge nurse was great working schedules to accommodate needs. Worst part was the occasional float to the step-down unit
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
tough to take breaks related to the fast paced nature

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alaska Regional Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Alaska Regional Hospital Reviews by Location