Alaska Regional Hospital

Alaska Regional Hospital Employee Reviews

ARH is the best place to work.
PCA/Nurse Aid (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 10, 2015
I don't missed the weather in Alaska but i do missed the all people in ARH specially in the PCU and Pre-OP. ARH is not the biggest hospital in Alaska but is the best and better hospital in Alaska. If i ever go back to Alaska i would rather be working at the ARH. Not only the benefit's are good but everyone treated me like a family.They have the best Orthopedic doctor,Heart doctor,Anesthesia doctors and Endoscopy doctors.
Pros
Treated everyone in the same level, full of positive people, good heart and is fun to work with.
Cons
NO Cons!!
Warning!!! Work there at your own risk
CT Technologist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 18, 2015
There isn't enough room on the page to write about all the different situations that happened to me while an employee. I surrendered my badge to Human Resources after 11 months. The supervisor is crude, and obnoxious and comes and goes as she pleases, and co-workers on the day shift are a mix of individuals with psychotic personalities. Be prepared for bullying with little support from management to correct the problem. Management falls short on a lot of levels. The hospital projects a persona of being a great medical facility and it is not. It is just mediocre at best. EPIC electronic medical record is a total nightmare.
Pros
Great coffee cart
Cons
Managment falls short from the top down.
Wonderful Place to Work
Patient Access Registrar (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 12, 2015
This hospital is an amazing place to work.
Your not just apart of a company when working here.
You are apart of a family.
The hardest thing about the job is working with a lot of different people and job titles.
I love meeting all kinds of people and their stories.
Pros
discount lunch, great staff, good benifits
Cons
short lunch breaks, crowed space, not enough waiting area
Management needs help
Certified Nursing Assistant/Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AkAugust 11, 2015
Pros
good pay
Cons
High census
Sterile Processing
SPD Supervisor (Former Employee) –  AnchorageJuly 28, 2015
Horrible working conditions. No support from upper level management. Employees treated badly. Not given information or resources to effectively perform tasks needed in a safe manner.
Benefits
Cons
Understafed, no support
An excellent place to work
RN OR, Open Heart & Interim-Surgical Director (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 24, 2015
Well qualified staff/surgeons, caring staff, exceptional quality of care to patients, excellent work environment. I enjoyed working at this hospital.
High quality care, an efficent work enviroment,excellent medical benefits
Perioperative Services as same Day surgery nurse (Current Employee) –  anchorage alaskaApril 7, 2015
work day starts at 0600 and ends at 1630,day starts out with approximately 12 OR surgical patients to prepare for surgery.
multiple IV starts, blood draws,meds to pass,clip and scrub op sites, apply SCD's and Teds. Assisst with blocks and epidurals. documentaion of patient assesment and meds given and procedures that were done. Float to radiolgy to start IV;s and or place urinary catheter. Float to phase II Recovery. Float to Preadmission testing to interview next day patients. co-workers are very open to helping each other we are very team oriented. hardest part of the job is going to work at 0600. the most enjoyable is working and interacting with the patients and their families. immediate management is experienced but new to our hospital , very knowledgeable. or management is ok not alot of experience , manager of PACU has just quit so that position is vacant at this time but she was great and very organized
Pros
CEO visit departments frequently, benefits are great, able to transfer from one HCA to another
Cons
all nurses have to wear the same color
Outsourcing agency (IMS) has taken over SPD
Sterile Processing Tech (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 25, 2015
Once a great place to work, now it is a miserable place to work since IMS has taken over sterile processing dept. Low morale, micromanaged, relies on informants to report back any thing done or said on the floor. Understaffed, over worked. No breaks.
Pros
friendly nurses
Cons
no breaks
Best hospital in Alaska
Emergency Room Technician, Orthopedic Technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 11, 2014
ARH is the smallest of the major hospitals in Anchorage, and as a result it is the most personalized for patients. The hospital is staffed by the best nurses in the world and the hospital is full of great personalities. It is where I go for treatment in AK and where I would be applying for jobs if I were in AK.
Pros
the people
Cons
smells like hospital disinfectant
fairly good place to work
File Clerk/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 12, 2014
I worked here 10 years ago so this is a little old. Since I worked there it has also gone from a public hospital to a private hospital so things may have changed, but while I worked there they had excellent benefits and the work environment was very good.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
a little high stress
Support Staff Warning
PBX Operator (Former Employee) –  PBXAugust 16, 2014
There isn't enough room on the page to write all the different situations that happened to me while an employee. I surrendered my badge to Human Resources after three weeks.
Pros
barista
Cons
horrible working conditions
Sonographer (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 17, 2014
This is a great atmosphere. Because it is the smaller hospital in Anchorage, everybody is very close knit and look out for each other. Overall, a great work environment.
Pros
friendly staff, oprptunity to advance
Cons
small cafeteria
Supportive staff
Patient Access Registrar (Current Employee) –  Anchorage AKMay 21, 2014
Management and co-workers are supportive. Job is minimal.
BEST PLACE TO WORK !!!
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 22, 2013
I would still be there had the Army Corps of Engineers not transferred my husband to Hawaii. You will not find a better place to work- Caring, Compassionate, friendly, kind employees and Docs. They treat everyone great, and no favoritism. I miss it.
Pros
wonderful place to work.
Cons
no cons !!!
Good place to work.
Night Shift MLT (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 27, 2013
Good equipment, ok environment, good benefits, good pay, great hours.
SMALLER SURGICAL FACILITY
RN (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 17, 2013
ADVANCED ORTHOPEDIC AND NEUROSURGIACL FACILITY. WELL DEVELOPED PROGRAMS OF CARE DELIVERY. A FULL SERVICE FACILITY FOR OTHERWISE FOR ER, OBSTETRICS,ICU/CCU, CATH LABS ECT.
Pros
smaller
Cons
owned by a large corporate group
very fun and friendly family oriented place to work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 27, 2013
A typical day at work consist of a lot of walking, reports, radio transmissions, and quick decision making. There is a lot of different cultures here and dealing with the public i learn several different styles of living. The management here is very efficient. The hardest part of my job is mainly dealing with families when they are experiencing the loss of a loved one. the most enjoyable part is being part of a team that helps so many day in and day out.
Great team to work with
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 24, 2013
Alaska Regional Hospital is a relatively small hospital with tons to offer. I enjoyed meeting other employees and building a professional work relationship with all of them.
Great little hospital but poorly managed from afar
Registered Nurse - Critical Care Unit (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 20, 2013
Alaska Regional Hospital is small enough for employees to feel like family. The biggest drawback is that its an HCA facility, which means the corporation back in the lower 48 states tries to make policy that doesn't apply in AK. Oh, and the union (local teamsters - figure that out) that represents nurses is receiving kickbacks from the hospital, so they have a conflict of interest when negotiating on your behalf and aren't work much. But unions haven't been relevant for a while now, and it's really not enough of a negative to not recommend this facility.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
union, upper managment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 31, 2013
My typical day at work would included 30-40 surgery patients that would come through the PACU; maybe 1/3 of those would be inpatients. PACU patients could be anything from colonoscopy with anesthesia to cardioid endartectomy. When needed I was charge nurse. I also precepted nursing students for UAA and oriented new hires to the unit.
The hardest part of the job is balancing; moving patients out of recovery ( phase I and II are in the same room) to allow new post surgical patients into recovery.
I loved assisting Anesthesia with picc lines and blocks.
My co-workers are the best, you never felt alone; Great team work.
I loved the critical care aspect of the job. To be able to identify problems before they became critical.
Pros
self scheduling, easy going co-workers
Cons
short breaks, 24-48 hour call