Alaska USA Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Great workplace, very professional and in order.
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 11, 2017
Alaska USA was the best job i have had so far. I loved working there, training went great. Your co-workers stick by your side with everything. Helpful hands are the best hands.
Bad culture
Mortgage Underwriter III (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZAugust 9, 2017
The sales team wants to dictate the condition requirements on mortgage loans. Processors are combative and argumentatitve on guidelines. Management does not support the underwriting team
Great Job
Senior Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 4, 2017
It a great company and i was happy to work for them and so glad i have. I wish there were alaska USA through out the world so i could travel the world with the company.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks North Star Borough, AKJune 27, 2017
Typical day of work would be processing loan applications, talking to members on the phone and in person. Each person is responsible for their own cash drawer and are considered tellers per say.
Pros
great management
Cons
short employees made it difficult to finish all tasks
Enjoyed the fact that you are able to use certain times of the day to engage in physical activities
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 22, 2017
Working for this company introduced me financial fraud, customer service through problem solving. Due to this being my first time working at a Financial Institution certain areas was a bit difficult for me. The hardest part of the job was trying my best to create a relationship with the management staff.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Short breaks
Positive work environment with room for growth
Senior Financial Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  Soldotna, AKJune 7, 2017
Typical day at work was not just teller duties, but also office duties, follow up phone calls and one on one meetings with members including evaluating accounts and financial situations.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
Slow paced but good people
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 1, 2017
Alaska USA is still new in Spokane so there's not much action yet. But the people there are great, I wish them the best. The products and services are great, the access online is the best I have ever seen and the fees are minimal. I have recommended them to friends and still plan to keep an account with them.
I learned how to do loans and open accounts, which I hadn't done before.
The branches are small which can be cramped if all of us are there, and there's little privacy.
Since opening in Spokane, we've been getting more business with members in Idaho but our loan department is in Alaska and they are unaware of Idaho laws for documents required in Idaho.
Alaska USA is open 7 days a week, 352 days a year. With that days off can be a little inconsistent and often split but management is as flexible as possible to keep everything balanced. But the convenience for members is a plus.
With the slow pace, the pressure is on for activity which is stressful.
Pros
Grocery store location for more people, great coworkers
Cons
Irregular schedule, cramped space, secrecy from management
Decent Pay for what you do
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 25, 2017
I will say it 1000 times, EVERYONE needs to experience a banking job. It teaches you all about finances for your personal life. We had to do more than a typical "teller"...probably why we aren't called tellers. We do basic transactions to help close a house loan. You will learn what documents are needed for the boat, auto, house, personal loans and what good and bad interest rates look like. You will open accounts...close accounts and help protect your current member and all members from theft. Managers are able to run their branch however they want to run their branch (not my favorite style) but all in all decent pay for what you do. You get a "bonus" check once a month but its hard to reach the numbers to get a good bonus check anymore. When it's slow and there's nothing todo...you get paid to do nothing.
Pros
Hours (Seven Days a week opened), stress to sell
Cons
Bonus, knowledge learned, no strain on body
Work environment HOSTILE
REAL ESTATE LOAN ORIGINATOR TRAINEE (Former Employee) –  AlaskaMay 13, 2017
My first 2 supervisors were AWESOME. When moved to another department, the manager was just a month newer than me so she didn't really know what was going on. She easily blamed and put all the "wrong" on her employees and never stood up for her employees. Saw first hand how a "tightly" knit department be torn apart because of the poor management the "new" manager brought. The manager on top of her nevet really listened to what the "employees" had to say. Never felt "secure" with them. Like someone was always out to get me. After my last position, it caused me so much stress in my life. What has the company come down to? What a shame.
Work Environment Not Conducive to Communication or Team Work Building
Problem Resolution Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 28, 2017
Not enough analysts to do the job that was asked of us. Management always changing priorities so not much could get accomplished. Job was very stressful do to not enough qualified analysts. Analysts were not showing up for work on time or not doing their jobs as they were asked to. Work would fall on one or two of the analysts that had been there for awhile. Lack of communication between the other analysts, no team work. Lack of communication and direction by the supervisor. She was not willing to offer any guidance, always was told to go ask someone else.

Manager in a hurry to write people up instead of trying to listen to why people where frustrated or on edge.

Environment is not conducive for creating good team work or communication among peers. Very unhealthy mentally.
Pros
Great Benefites
Cons
Bad management, not enough analysts to do the job
Wonderful business to work for
Personnel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 24, 2017
Loved working for Alaska USA. If it were not due to me having to move out of state for my spouses job then I would gladly still be working with them. The co-workers are very family orientated and really care about their employees.
Wonderful workplace
Senior Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKApril 10, 2017
Alaska USA FCU is a wonderful company to work for. Family friendly, lots of great benefits and bonuses. I would definitely work for Alaska USA FCU again in the future if I ever come back to Alaska.
Title Department
Title Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 22, 2017
On a day to day basis, it can definitely get stressful, from learning new tasks, to teaching, or figuring out a solution with little direction or assistance. It was a one for all type of environment. You did your work, and even if you were on top of it there was always something that you could of done differently. From my experience it was best to do as much research you can on your own before asking for any help.
Loan officer teller
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Kent, WADecember 30, 2016
It was a great job with plenty of financial perks . Management was horrible . She was very inexperienced and had a bad overall attitude . If the manager wasn't so bad I would have stayed.
Pros
I gor to work with people and the pay was great
Cons
It didn't pay very well
High stress environment with good job security
Technical Support Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 16, 2016
Alaska USA FCU values IT employees but pays less than industry standard. Benefits are good but do not necessarily justify less pay. Employees are encouraged to further advance skills and compensation for doing so is available. Personal Time accrues quickly enough that employees are encouraged to take a minimum of one week vacation per year.
Pros
Personal time accrual, compensation for advancing skill set
Cons
Job stress level, pay scale
Moral, Moral, Moral! This place has it!
Collector (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 10, 2016
Working as a collection specialist isn't all glamorous but this company has a way of keeping their workers happy and keeping their members happy and paying their bills as promised (most the time). Working in a collection department you would thing there would be a high turn over rate because not everyone can handle being yelled and cussed at without loosing it on the person on the other line but with the training and the ability to advance in the company they teach you things that are useful and help you advance.
Pros
Great moral all around, potlucks, bday celebrations, any and everything. All around good times.
Cons
Having to collect on members who truely have no money and not having a way to help them.
A good experience
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AK 99801May 5, 2016
Stressful and not for young adults, management is very micro managed and not all for the staff, co-workers were fine. learned a little bit about the banking world. The hardest part of the job was management. Nothing to enjoy
Company that cares
SENIOR DEALER TITLE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 15, 2016
Alaska USA FCU was one of the most best working relationships in my work experience. They ensure the staff is fully prepared to handle the workload and provide the tools and training to make sure members are serviced at the highest level.
Short term job
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Northgate, WADecember 29, 2015
This is a good company, has great benefits, opportunities to move up are available, but can take over a year to move up. The company is always hiring because the turn over rate is so high at many of the branches.
THIS IS A HEAVY SALES JOB. You have sales goals and are expected to meet them each week/month/year. Everything is about the sales of credit cards, loans, ect. If you are not comfortable pushing products do not apply for this company.
The hours are not great, this company is open 7 days a week, and almost all holidays; great for the members but terrible for employees. Your shifts are either 930-630 or 1030-730, and most your days off will not be together.
I work at a particularly strict branch so I can only attest to my experience at this one branch, but the company is very 'old school' in that they want professionalism to the extreme, which leads to a very conformist and stifling atmosphere. No personal conversations, ect.
There are bonus opportunities each month based off branch totals and shared evenly by each branch employee that did not have any missed time. If you are out sick or tardy and do not have the paid time off to cover it, you forfeit your monthly bonus.
For me this was a good opportunity to learn banking, but not a long term job, I need more personal time than one day off here and there.
I will continue to bank with this credit union as it is a good company.
Pros
Bonuses and Benefits
Cons
Scheduling, heavy sales job
Great place to work for.
Loan Closer (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 9, 2015
Small department however large workflow.
Typical work day. Just pull and process loan file to be distribute to customer to sign.
Great boss to work with.
Love working independently.
Job is never to hard.
Pros
Quarterly incentive