Albany Medical Center Employee Reviews

Disappointng
Biomedical Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 18, 2017
While patient care, I believe, is excellent the work environment is so illogical as to border on paranoia. Everyone is treated as expendable and everyone therefore treats everyone else the same way. Management is SO heavy from top - down it is beyond belief. Even making a perfectly sound logical argument for change and even having your manager agreeing with you it is still impossible to make the slightest changes. It reminds me of a boss I had once. I would suggest something,..... "Ah, that's a stupid idea"...... then let the dust settle on the problem until HE came up with the exact same idea. THEN it was a good idea. Doesn't mean change will happen, however.

AMC is a behemoth. When I learned the CEO was an attorney, it all made sense to me.
Pros
Salary, vacation time
Cons
Impossible to have changes implemented
Good Starting Point
Senior Systems Analysis PM/IT Risk Manager (Current Employee) –  Information ServicesJune 16, 2017
Good place to start a work experience. Good place to learn business acumen. Good place to learn what to do and not to do. Leadership is political. If stay focused you can maintain your job.
Warm Environment
Fitness Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fitness CenterJune 15, 2017
It's a friendly work environment where you can be excited to walk into work everyday. I work with medical students and professionals who are excited to learn more about fitness.
student friendly
Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 15, 2017
this is a level one trauma center and as a student volunteer I was allowed to be part of the care team and was able to learn from the knowledgeable staff
Terrible
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  IcuJune 13, 2017
If ur not a nurse or doctor u will be belittled most of the time and treated awful . Stressed and depressed after every shift not good work environment
Not my favorite place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 5, 2017
Not my most favorite place to work. Certainly could be improved. No work life balance. HR is a mess. Everyone seems to be viewed as a thief or trying to rip the organization off day 1. Work from home policy was designed to fail from creation. Most everything is paper still, nothing has been converted to digital.

The place is like a mom and pop shop where everyone and anyone who knows someone can get what ever they want and the rest of the employees have to follow procedures. Most of the failings of the leadership in the organization are apparent in the excessively high turnover rate.

No work life balance even though they reinforce it in meetings. I guess if they say it enough it starts to sound true.
Pros
Pays ok
Cons
No vision forward, Sick and Vacation time combined and not front loaded, Heath insurance has a huge deductible
Patient driven Workforce that strives to do things right
Phlebotomy Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albany New YorkJune 1, 2017
Working at Albany Med was a wonderful experience for me. Having spent 15 years in healthcare I was ready for the challenges that Albany Med presented. Albany Med is a wonderful hospital that has helped so many people and I was proud to be a part of that.
Pros
Sushi bar in cafeteria.
Cons
Multiple departments in the hospital need to be updated.
Very friendly environment
Assistant Professor of Medicine (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 1, 2017
Everyone at AMC is friendly and easy to get along with. People are willing to help anywhere you need it. The facilities are clean. As a physician parking is provided.
Not a place to work as a nurse
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 23, 2017
The current administration will do anything to save money. Including risking the safety of patients as well as nurses. The benefits and pay are mediocre at best, but they seem to at least treat the physicians well.
Hard To Get In
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 16, 2017
Need to know someone or be extremely outstanding to get in. depending who you work for some people are patient at training, some people shouldn't train at all. Everyone sticks to their own.
Pros
discounts
Cons
n/a
Excellent Concept, Poor Management
ASA VII (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 15, 2017
Albany Medical Center has a wonderful concept and serves a huge population in upstate NY. The management team is very cut throat and hard to work for. There is little chance to move up the ladder if you are not best friends with management team. Although the employee may have the experience and education to advance, its not going to happen unless you are in the "club". If you are on the managers radar, you might as well move on because your life at AMC is going to be horrible.
Pros
Excellent Benefits, wonderful employees
Cons
Poor Management
Good place to start
Administrative Assistant/ Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 10, 2017
Working here is a good experience for me as I get to learn new things and I am never bored. It is a fast paced work environment with a lot of opportunities for growth
Pros
Secured job, paid time off, health insurance
Excellent place for pediatric experience
RN (Current Employee) –  PICUMay 10, 2017
I love my job working in the pediatric ICU. It is an intense orientation, but the culture consistently encourages nurses to grow and learn to the best of their ability.
Social Worker/Case Manager
Medical Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 8, 2017
Management at AMC is the worst I have ever experienced. There is no job training, no support, no room for growth/advancement and no opportunity to express ideas or creativity. AMC is run like a bureaucratic dictatorship! I strongly discourage anyone to apply for this company.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Everything else
Education
RN-II (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 8, 2017
Albany Medical Center provides education for their staff. Many opportunities to advance career with education that is offerred. Very supportive of learning.
Love my job.
Tech (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 2, 2017
Great hospital to work for. They care for you and make sure you are happy. I am very happy with this company as they actually look to make your life better in every aspect.
Solid
Administrative Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 23, 2017
It's been a solid learning experience when it comes to real world office politics and adapting to the actual workplace for the past three years. It's provided me with a wealth of general working experience.
If you are looking for a place to work if you want to learn then this is the employer for you.
IS Project Manager Level III (Current Employee) –  Information ServicesApril 19, 2017
This is a great place to work if you are self motivated and enjoy learning. The constant change offers opportunities to grow And stay current with the evolving technology.
Pros
Good salaries
Cons
Be ready to invest your life and all your extra time
friendly place to work
Imaging Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 19, 2017
typical day at work consist of getting patients from the waiting room getting them screened and ready for their test Albany med is a friendly environment
Pros
clean
Cons
less pay compared to other hospitals
An enjoyable job made complicated by mediocre management
Phlebotomist II (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 14, 2017
Throughout my experience at Albany Medical Center, I have seen multiple different supervisors and assistant supervisors come and go. Throughout these times of transition, the department has undergone a lot of unnecessary stress that causes the team to work at minimum efficiency. Through these experiences, I have evaluated the aspects of a team that are most important, and what my skills bring to the table for formulating a team that works well together.
Pros
Teamwork, sense community
Cons
Mediocre management, poor communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Albany Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Albany Medical Center Reviews by Location