Albany Medical Center Employee Reviews

Excellent Learning Environment for New Nurses
Registered Nurse (Med/Surg ICU (Stepdown ICU/PCU)) (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 21, 2017
I have nothing negative to say. I only left because of the distance of my commute. I was an inexperienced nurse and this was a very nurturing environment from the start for me.
Antepartum nurse
High-risk Antepartum Nurse (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 20, 2017
I work on the Antepartum Unit so it was not so bad working there, we just need to float in Labor and Delivery if needed for help. But sometimes the census is low, so we use our vacation time.
Pros
Low census
Cons
Vacation time is being used or will float to other unit
chronically understaffed and stressful
Administrative Support Associate V (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 19, 2017
chronically understaffed patient to Rn care making it an extremely stressful place to work. Clerical work is being phased out to electronic medical records.
Pros
overtime available
Cons
clerical staffing is undesired and being phased out
Great palce to work
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 11, 2017
I loved working at AMC. Most of the people there are wonderful, but like every job I guess there are cliques of people who don't like or accept new people. The pay is great but when there is a dispute between coworkers they are not quick to step in and help out.
Pros
The people, the job.
Cons
the coworkers
Great place
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 10, 2017
fast paced. friendly co- worker.
A lot of walking, and caring basket
lots of overtime
set hours for employees
great place
cheap parking for employees
Pros
lots overtime
Cons
hours
Great hospital
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 5, 2017
Grear hospital prefer not to work there. It was hard tonwork under the conditions they put you under. We did s lot of work for less compensation. A lot of smart people worked for less than their worth
Pros
One paid break
Cons
Work hours
working for AMC is a good place for job opportunities but depending on how personal the relationship is with the manager back and create favoritism on
LPN-Medicine (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 2, 2017
The great thing of AMC you have opportunities to develop and grow. It's a great learning experience. My experience there has been great but the management can improve, there's no consistency or team players. Depending in the department you're working on.
Ever expanding
Education & Training (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 31, 2017
AMC has many resources, depending on where you sit, the allocation of these resources may or may not make sense. Overall, good place to work - fast paced, knowledgeable staff.
Fast paced, high school work culture
ASA-HUC NEUROSCIENCES (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 29, 2017
Very fast paced working environment the work culture is very challenging a lot of cliques and professionals carrying in like high preschoolers over everything, you never know who or what to trust
Pros and cons like everything in life
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 25, 2017
Level 1 Trauma center.......great experience. Large hospital system in the Capital Area. Easy to access via public transport. Slightly lower on compensation than other networks. I would recommend to others.
Internship
Medical Assistant Internship (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 21, 2017
Great place to work and get experience. Learned to be confident of my skills, and the teaching skills were incredible. I truly had a great work experience at Albany Medical Pediatrics and Obstetrics
Very Busy , Issues with retention
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 19, 2017
A typical day at albany med you hit the ground running and never stop, staffing shortages everyday increasing work load on remaining staff , no attention paid to staff retention or staff opinion , Work demands have increased and benefits have decreased
Pros
always work available
Cons
to many
Interesting place to work
Assistant Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 15, 2017
Worked there more than 10 years ago the hospital has grown and offer many learning experiences. I learned a lot about spinal cord injuries and rehabilitation. There is a multicultural workforce. The hardest part of the job was the diverse and challenging patient population. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers, who worked well as a team.
Pros
Challenging patient population
OK Place to work
Registered Nurse/Orthopedic Surgery (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 15, 2017
Very good orientation for new nurses. Great environment to learn and hone your abilities. One disadvantage was the drive especially in the winter. Otherwise enjoyed my time here.
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 8, 2017
Albany Medical Center provided very good benefits such as paid time off and tuition reimbursement. I had a great manager and a great supervisor and I have learned a lot during my time at AMC.
poorky managed. Everything is a rush
Rn/Bsn (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 4, 2017
it would be a better place to work if the staffs are treated equally and no racism. If we actualy get paid properly. The management at the one running it speaking for my unit has different views abt things and how to handle it. Not synchronized. people are getting tired of the Bs going around. It will be a better place if the higher ups consider the employees feelings and make sure we are compensated better.
Pros
experience
Cons
no free lunch time and rushed
Great to be considered and treated like a professional!
Patient Care Associate (PCA) (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 3, 2017
Paid Nursing school at the hospital, Flexible schedule, competitive salary, and training in any area desired for free. Treated like a full member of the team. enough said!
Pros
Unlimited opportunity for training education and advancement
Cons
short breaks
Good place to work for. A lot of benefits
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 27, 2017
I really enjoyed working for AMC. I learned how to deal with all types of people. The job was very fast pace and before you knew it, it was time to go home and you did not mind staying extra because of the people you worked with. The hardest part was when we was short staff and you have to step up to get the job done.Working for Albany Medical Center one found out that each day was different. A person came into something new everyday so it made working there exciting. Working for this company I learned compassion, tolerance, kindness,patience, endurance and ethics, In all I gained a vast knowledge about people, health and culture. Since Albany Medical Center is not only a hospital but a college to, I found the Doctors (who was also professors) taught the students and residents and fellows very rigorously they wanted to make sure that they were the best of the best. When if came to the nurses the medical assistants the secretaries they also expected the high standard of knowledge.
Pros
Knowledge
Cons
A lot of work
Ok place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 25, 2017
Ok place to work. Albany medical center is growing very fast. This place is very fast paced. They have a lot of new nurses because they burn out their seniority nurse.
patient care technician
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 24, 2017
As PCT I assisted in examination and treatment of patients, measuring vital signs and monitoring health, collecting samples, recording information on patients' charts, and preparing treatment rooms for examination.