Albany Medical Center

Albany Medical Center Employee Reviews

Great place to work, learn and advance in any area.
Lead Receptionist (Current Employee), Adult Pulmonary $ Critical CareJune 24, 2015
Pros: Enjoying my co-workes
Cons: Not being able to help
I have done various things while here at Albany Medical Center. I have learned how to be more compationate and patient with others that are in need of special attention.
I have learned how to supervise and be supervised by someone.
My co-workers are a diverse group of people that I have come to love and become family with. I will charish my experience here at AMC with them.
The hardest part of the job is not being able to help someone in need. Having to get the patient to the correct person for the help that they need is the most gratifying.
The most enjoybable part of my job is helping people, coming to work everyday loving what I do makes a difference in how you apporach every situation during the course of your work day.
low salary rate
Registered Professional Nurse (Current Employee), Albany, NYJune 10, 2015
Pros: lots of in services/
Cons: understaffed
typical day at work, is busy even on nights
recently understaffed
most enjyable part of job, staff help each other
huge hospital
Great place to intern
Public Relations Intern (Former Employee), Albany, NYJune 7, 2015
Pros: Flexibility, Hands-On Experience, Academic Credit
Cons: Unpredictable workloads
As an intern in the Policy, Planning and Communications department, I was given the chance to speak with most positions about their typical day at work, as well as sit it on weekly meetings to discuss upcoming events. The internship offered hands-on experience in a wide array of areas including public relations, market analysis, and media relations. It was a great place to intern and would recommend it to anyone who majors in Communications or Journalism.
Lots of opportunities
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Albany, NYMay 31, 2015
Pros: Dunkin Donuts 24/7 IN the hospital!
Cons: No food service/cafeteria for night shift, parking/shuttle for the day shift
With over 10,000 employees there are a lot of opportunities available. Unfortunately, if you do not like your position/unit, you must work for AMC for a year before you can transfer to another position/unit. The RN orientation was very in-depth and involved, and I definitely got all the tools I needed to succeed. The scheduling can be a challenge, but that's common at any hospital. My unit (C5/ortho) is very tight-knit and very welcoming. Everyone seems friendly and enjoys being a nurse.
LOVED IT HERE
Trauma/Surgical Step-down Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Albany, NYMay 8, 2015
This is a great institution with an amazing patient population. Part of me wishes I never left. Only down-side is the location. But everything is fantastic.
Great place
Registered Nurse, Float Pool (Current Employee), Albany, NYMay 5, 2015
A typical day of work requires me to float to different med/surg floors throughout the hospital to fill in for floors that are short staffed. My co-workers are great and my managers are great also. They are very flexible and are willing to work with you regarding your schedule.
its good to be part of albany med. center team
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee), Albany, NYMay 2, 2015
Help health care providers and patients by greeting them in person and by phone; answering questions and requests; referring inquiries to the pharmacist.  Maintain pharmacy inventory by checking pharmaceutical stock to determine inventory level, anticipating needed medications and supplies, placing and expediting orders, verifying receipt and removing outdated drugs.  Maintain a safe and clean pharmacy by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.  Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.  Organizes medications for pharmacist to dispense by reading medication orders and prescriptions, preparing labels, and calculating quantities.
great place to work, great employees and managers
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT ASSOCIATE IV (Former Employee), Albany, NYApril 30, 2015
Pros: great benefits, raises
Albany medical center was a great place to work, everyone knew what they needed to do. We call covered for each other, we got raises every year, I ran the office.
its a productive and fun workplace
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Albany, NYApril 9, 2015
taking care of patients and ensuring there
i learned how to do vitals, bed making, helping patients with there daily activities and being a active listener.
the management is very respectful and very friendly.
my co- workers are great team players. They help each other out whenever in need of help.
N/A
the most enjoyable part of this job is communicating with the patients and helping them in need.
A great job in a Level 1 tertiary trauma ER environment with Med Flight
Administrative Support Associate/Shift Leader (Former Employee), Albany, NYMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Seeing life as it really is in a trauma environment
Cons: Moments of stress possible
The typical work day was weeknights (11 PM to 7 AM) with an occasional additional shift on either side of my normal shift. One of the greatest lessons learned is how to take care of people and address their medical needs.

The management for the ER, and medical ER staff were stellar. As a a Shift Leader and was accountable to the Administrative Supervisor. We worked real well as a team, and I had a high level of trust in managing my regular shift.

The hardest part of the job other than leaving was the stress on certain nights, depending on the levels of emergency cases that we took regularly. Some nights were more stressful than others.

The most enjoyable part of the was the people working together as a cohesive group to do what was needed to take care of patients coming into the ER and assuring that the ER medical staff had the paperwork they needed to treat the patient.
Nice place to work
Registered Nurse MICU/Neuro ICU (Former Employee), Albany, NYMarch 24, 2015
This place is filled with compassionate people who's goal is to improve the lives of everyone including patients, staff, coworkers. You are none when you work here. Team work is the number one thing at AMCH.
Opportunity for advancement
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Albany, NYMarch 22, 2015
Great place to work . You are surrounded by compassionate people who are not just co workers but become life long friends. The hardest part of the job is seeing people suffer with illness but knowing that I can make a difference in some of the lives brings me great joy.
Job security
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee), Albany, NYMarch 11, 2015
Great place to work for job security and great benefits. The less you do the farther you get. The harder you work the more that is expected and less that is given
working in clinics
Float Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee), Albany, NYMarch 3, 2015
Pros: my manager is amazing
Cons: working with rude people
The pay is okay for working in clinics. It's hard to utilize all your nursing skills but that's expected with working in a clinic. The worst part is floating to different clinics and working with rude unprofessional people all day, it's almost like being a kid again in a classroom full of people you don't know.
Advanced medical care with excellence in nursing
registered nurse (Current Employee), NICUFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: the excellent nurses i work with
Cons: healthcare benefits
My day starts with suite report. Each suite has 12 babies in it and every nurse must know the status of each. Next it report from the night nurse. I then review my orders, update my white board and plan my shift. I assess my babies and alert the medical staff when needed. I assist my co-workers as needed and relieve them for breaks. The hardest part of my job doesn't happen that often. It would be when I've had the medical staff at the bedside for most of my 12 hour shift and the baby is not responding to our interventions. It's hard to see the look on parents face when their baby is not doing well. The most enjoyable part of my job is the opposite. When I've worked hard and now have a baby that's going home with it's parents and everyone is happy.
Fast paced and productive environment.
Phlebotomist 1 (Current Employee), Albany, NYJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: days are fast, work is consistent, you work with relateable people
Cons: short breaks, no breaks, too many bosses
A typical day at work consisted of constant work loads... Working at AMC you have to be prepared to come into work and be the ultimate team player and also be ready to work alone when necessary. Co-workers play an essential part in getting the job done in this department. The hardest part of this job is balancing your work life and personal life. Though with any job you should have your personal life in order to be able to commit to your job performance... Company policies are not set up with the intent of accommodating someone who is not willing to... in short give their life over to the department no matter the circumstance. The greatest part of this job is the many different personalities you get the pleasure of working with each day from the staff to the patients that we serve.
Best place to work
Equipment Utility Technician (Current Employee), Albany, NYJanuary 13, 2015
If you're looking for a rewarding company Albanymed is your spot.
A True Blessing
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee), Napanoch, NYJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: it was interesting providing services to those with hiv
Cons: none what so ever
It was a Blessing work at Albany Med as a Translator using Telecommunication
Teaching hospital that doesn't tolerate change
Staff RN, full time (Current Employee), Albany, NYJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: great nurses
Cons: low pay
AMC is a level one trauma center which means high patient volume. The RN staff is severely underpaid. Its a teaching hospital and physicians are the focus and nursing is not recognized or utilized to their full potential. There are some tremendous RNs who give their all for the patients and I am proud to work among some of them. Management is hit or miss; depends on who they are and what they stand for.
Great hospital if you are a patient
ASA VI (Former Employee), General PediatricsDecember 29, 2014
The problem with a healthcare facility is that they glean management from healthcare professionals that often lack the skills needed to manage people. I was continually astounded at the lack of basic management skills of people in high level management positions. That coupled with very low pay, made for a very unpleasant work environment. If I ever need great medical care, take me to Albany Med but I wouldn't want to work there again....

1 2 3 4 5