Albany Medical Center Employee Reviews

Not a long term place to work
ASA VI - Registrar/Learning Partner (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 31, 2017
The pay is very poor and not at all competitive, you are continuously given additional responsibilities with no compensation or incentive. Very busy with little help from co workers or management when necessary.

Most enjoyable part is getting to know the patients and helping them however necessary.
hospital staffing/Staff/Charge nurse
Clinical Research Nurse (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 18, 2016
Rewarding job, LOVED my work but the pay was not as high as we as nurses deserve, I felt I did something rewarding every day. The only downside is the hours or time put in, and the lack of staffing.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
hours are not easy when trying to raise kids and go to school
float nurse
Float Nurse (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 21, 2016
floating from pediatric to adult offices so there were many different aspects to each clinic. Learning different procedures from each specialty clinic
Pros
good benefits, floating to different clinics
Cons
staff at some clinics not helpful
Albany med is community focused. And we have our own gym!
Assistant Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 9, 2017
We work hard, but we have a family, team atmosphere.
My co-workers and patients are the best part of the day.
Since we are a level 1 trauma center our days can be very busy and hard with patient flow when we are at capacity. They most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the Chang in my patients when they walk out the doors to go home with there family.
Growing business
Practice Administrator (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 12, 2017
Good place to work. Good leadership. Growing organization. The employees are engaged and given opportunities for growth and professional gains. Good work life balance
It's a job
Information Services - Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 22, 2017
Remember this is a large institution with many systems; clinical and non-clinical. There is plenty to keep you busy and learn. Worth noting is, in my opinion, there is a lot of higher level management. The institution may be getting to large to be effective in all aspects.
micro management
CSR/OP Blue Cross/Blue Shield Claims Analyst (Current Employee) –  Menands, NYMarch 9, 2017
The Patient Billing department is extremely overly micromanaged. There is no longer any compassion in management for the people they oversee. The workloads have become unmanageable.
great place to work
Patient Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 7, 2016
I loved it! It was my first night shift job at a hospital and I worked in the float pool so i got to go to a different place each night just awesome. I learned alot working there
Pros
plenty of room for advancement
Cons
i dont really have one
Fair
RN (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 4, 2016
I love my job no matter what and where my employer is. Autocratic style of management most of the time it sucks. I need to budget my salary always and I learned it from working here. Training and experience is awesome
Overall excellent employer
Senior Payer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 9, 2015
I have thoroughly enjoyed my almost four years working for AMC. I have changed roles as I have advanced positions, from following up on claims, to handling provider enrollment for several hundred providers, to running monthly meetings with roughly a dozen payer representatives. I have had great opportunities to advance my career at AMC. Management is great at dealing with different types of employees and giving them the tools to succeed. The most enjoyable part of my time at AMC has been my co-workers, they are all friendly and genuinely help you as much as they can. There is no single thing I would consider to be the hardest, there are day-to-day challenges, but management is always looking for ways to improve processes for their employees. So, things that provide serious challenges to getting work accomplished can usually be fixed and resolved.
Pros
Excellent co-workers, great benefits
Travel Nurse Job
Trusted Nurse Staffing Agency (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 17, 2016
This has been a very rewarding experience for me to travel 100 miles from home and do what I love. I was looking for a different feel and I got it here at AMC.
Pros
Friendlt staff, new experiences
Cons
short breaks
I liked working with the surgeons and residences.
OPERATING ROOM REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 25, 2016
The management staff was horrible. I was badgered and harassed by people who had no authority or management roles. This made it difficult to see all the positive points of working there. I was denied the use of my vacation time.
an exelent instituion to work and grow at
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 30, 2016
I worked at Albany medical center for 7 years total. in that that time I worked for 2 different departments patient transport and the call center. I loved them both. the people are great and the jobs were fun
Pros
paid vaction
A day at work
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 14, 2016
Working at AMC was an interesting experience. I learned about myself and patient care. It was overall rewarding and humbling.
Advanced medical care with excellence in nursing
registered nurse (Current Employee) –  NICUFebruary 26, 2015
My day starts with suite report. Each suite has 12 babies in it and every nurse must know the status of each. Next it report from the night nurse. I then review my orders, update my white board and plan my shift. I assess my babies and alert the medical staff when needed. I assist my co-workers as needed and relieve them for breaks. The hardest part of my job doesn't happen that often. It would be when I've had the medical staff at the bedside for most of my 12 hour shift and the baby is not responding to our interventions. It's hard to see the look on parents face when their baby is not doing well. The most enjoyable part of my job is the opposite. When I've worked hard and now have a baby that's going home with it's parents and everyone is happy.
Pros
the excellent nurses I work with
Cons
healthcare benefits
The Organization As A Whole is Amazing... But...
Case Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 29, 2016
The organization as a whole was an amazing place to work. All of the people were friendly and really cared for the patients. The health insurance has a $250 deductible FOR THEIR OWN PLAN. So, everything up to $250 is out of pocket, then the copays kick in. It was actually kind of ridiculous since it's a major healthcare provider.

Then...

There was the department I worked in, Case Management. There wasn't a lot of training. I received a "crash course" and was "thrown to the wolves." The person that trained me was the person they were replacing because, they too, weren't doing the job well. So, I was somehow expected to immediately know that. Not to mention, EVERYTHING is on paper there and it ALL has to go through the hierarchy before anything gets done. I'm surprised the departments actually function.

After multiple write-ups for "not knowing the job" (even though you are only as good as the person that trains you), I decided enough was enough. I transferred to work on the floors with the Case Managers and Social Workers and help with discharges. BEST THING EVER!

I ended up leaving because of a family emergency... but everyday, I am told someone else has left.

Don't you think it's a problem with management when the employees come and go frequently?
Pros
Great Organization, Great Pay, Amazing People
Cons
Management, Health Insurance is not the best, No organization AT ALL
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 22, 2016
At a typical day at work, I worked under the direct supervision of Registered Nurses to help rehabilitate patients with numerous neurologic and epileptic illnesses.
High volume and busy/ stressful environment.
registered nurse III in general surgical unit (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 1, 2013
Salary was always moderate to low. Management distant and disconcerned with personal needs. The hospital itself always seemed to be expanding and profitable, however the salary and yearly evaluation/raise did not reflect my hard work and sacrifice. Over all low moral of employees. After 10 years of service to the hospital, I was paid better to start a new job at a different hospital doing similar jobs.
hospital experience was very different
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 24, 2016
in the hospital, you have to be your best at all times. there are no room for errors. if so they are not forgivable. there was managerial issues from the staff. phlebotomy was a revolving door.
Pros
a new experience
Cons
none supportive manager. no concern for the staff members
Fast pace, always busy. Every day is different.
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 22, 2016
Asked to do alot in a short amount of time. Many people need you at once. But fun and interesting to work there. Can be emotionally draining at times.
Cons
Healthcare.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Albany Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Albany Medical Center Reviews by Location