Albany Park Community Center

Albany Park Community Center Employer Reviews

Fun Place to work at
Volunteer Work, Chicago (Current Employee), VolunteerJune 7, 2014
Its satisfying to volunteer at Albany Park Community Center. The students and staff are very easy to get along with and open to new ideas. Very young and experienced staff.
Enjoyable and challenging non-profit organization
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR & C.E.O (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 25, 2014
Pros: inpacting lives of those who need the most help.
Cons: low pay and not enough funding to meet operational needs.
1) A typical day involves managing and directing staff, reaching out to new and existing funders, interfacing with Board members, interacting and communicating with government officials and managing/reviewing fiscal documents.
2) I've learned that one needs to run a non-profit similar to a for-profit organization, but understanding the significant differences – more... that are tailored to each.
3) I currently have the right people on the bus in the right seats.
4) The most difficult part of the job is getting enough unrestricted funds to cover administrative needs and making sure that all allowable expenses are accounted for in the contracts.
5) The most enjoyable part of the job is making a difference in the lives of our clients and watching my staff grow and develop. – less
Exciting Family Oriented location
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: great staff
Cons: government dependence
Everyday is a mystery! You never really know what is going to happen, what position you'll be filling or who you will be working with!
It sounds hectic but that's what makes the job exciting. We all enjoy helping people to the best of our abilities! The hardest part of the job is not being able to assisting parents when they don't qualify for government – more... help even though you know they have a need. – less
FAMILY SERVICE WORKER (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 11, 2013
Pros: good staff
Cons: healthcare too expensive
I was able to take opportunities in growth in my career while employed at this company.
High quality comprehensive service delivery to New Americans in need of Adult and Early Childhood Education, Counseling, Employment, and Mentoring.
Coordinator of Safety and Community Partnerships (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 11, 2012
Pros: diverse and dedicated program staff
Cons: poor compensation and benefits.
I am very impressed by the dedication of the program staff at the Albany Park Community Center. Every week, hundreds of children and adults benefit from education, workforce training, counseling, tutoring, violence prevention, and small business development. Immigrants, refugees, and Veterans comprise the majority of clients and students enrolled in – more... our programs. – less
Rewarding Experience in establishing good customer relations
Teacher's Assistant Adult ESL (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 24, 2012
Pros: gratis on certain merchandise
Cons: half hour breaks if working longer than a 6 hour shift. 15 min breaks are given for 5 hour shift
A typical day at work consists of reviewing sale goals and survey results that customers took, and what they thought of our performance. Based on how they answer, it's important to focus on areas that weren't rated as high. So for instance, if customers said that sales associate didn't display knowledge. It is your responsibility to have your supervisor – more... to educate you on any merchandise you are unfamiliar. Management typically coaches what you need to know in terms of features and benefits of the products you will be selling to your customers. You will need to know how to measure bust size, and you will need to know how each bra fits so that you could sell something that will suit the customer's needs. The hardest part of the job is how to make a personal connection with each and every customer. Usually when there's a group of customers that walk in, you do what's called audience selling. You talk to a group of people explain the products, ask them about what styles they like to wear, and send them back the dressing room with a fit card in their hand. Sometimes you will not be able to do this with every single customer. The best part of my job is when a customer has a problem or is frustrated. Being able to listen to them and helping them find a resolution to a problem gives me gratification and a sense of pride. I don't always help find answers or resolutions but I can offer them different views on how to approach a problem. – less
A rewarding job with hard working staff members
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 17, 2012
Pros: limited space
Cons: generous donations
The typical work day was to ensure that the office dynamics were
running smoothly and that all after school documents were readily available for staff.

I learned how to update community directories, and follow up with potential volunteers and donors. This job was so rewarding because you were servicing at risk youth after school who needed extracurricular – more... activities for there well being.

The limited space at the local high school was the most challenging part of this job. – less