Valdosta State University (VSU) nurtures higher education students as they blossom into professionals. The school, a regional university of the University System of Georgia, is located in the southern Georgia town of Valdosta, which is known for its flower gardens and trails. The school has two campuses, less than a mile apart, that house six colleges and offer about 60 undergraduate and 40 graduate degree programs, as well as doctorates in education and public administration. VSU was founded in 1906 as South Georgia State Normal College. Originally a girls' school, the institution became co-educational in 1950. It has some 650 faculty members and a student body of about 12,500.
About 90% of VSU's students come from Georgia, with the remaining 10% coming from across the US and 60 international countries.
VSU has reported revenue growth over the last five years, with the exception of 2009. Revenues in 2011 increased 10% to $101.5 million, up from $92 million in 2010. Most of VSU's revenues come from tuition, education and general funds, and state appropriations.
Enrollment at VSU has increased by more than 80% over the last decade. To accommodate its increased campus population, the university is expanding its facilities and its curriculum. It opened a new literacy center, formed a new Center for Applied Social Sciences, and launched several new online degree programs (a master's in literature and language and a bachelor's in organization leadership) during 2011. – less
10 salaries reported
$26,418 per year
7 salaries reported
$29,454 per year
4 salaries reported
$31,501 per year