Albemarle Corporation Employee Reviews

The worst decision I ever made in my life!!
Safety Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 13, 2017
They say good things always come to an end, and my good thing came to an end when I was faced with discrimination. I was told early on that Albemarle was a prejudice company, but I gave them a chance. This was my first job in corporate America, and it will probably be my last because this experience was the most humiliating thing I've ever faced. So in my opinion, you shouldn't work here especially in the Baton Rouge Corporate office, they use you and work you like a dang on Hebrew prisoner, just to mess over you in the end when they get everything they needed out of you.
Pros
Cons
Prejudice people, dishonest boss, works you like a Hebrew slave, liars
Yep
Coop Engineer (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCJune 6, 2017
Enjoyed my work once it was turned over to me. Lots of different opportunities. Lots of place to tour in the plant and learn about how chemicals were made.
Newly Created Position for Financial Planning and Analysis
Chemical Manufacturer (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 30, 2017
Created budgets, forecasts, and reporting analysis for senior management.

Was a challenging position to create all new reporting and analysis in a short period of time for a company that was new to me.

Very interesting business model enveloping the chemical industry on a Global basis
Pros
Freedom for development of new reporting
Cons
Systems somewhat antiquated
good company, just had to get away from my manager
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  TexasMay 23, 2017
The company is great to work for, I guess depending on which business unit you are in. I am a huge fan of the 9-80 schedule, the vacation time and paid maternity / paternity leave. I wish the advancement structure was more open and managers were actively involved in seeing that you advance. Seems like a standard work culture of who you know or who you can snuggle up to and not what you know.
Pros
Good vacation time, 9-80 schedule, paid maternity and paternity leave
Cons
lower than industry wages
decent place to work for, very clean and safety oriented
Logistics Operator Lvl 2 (Former Employee) –  Bayport, TXMay 17, 2017
great atmosphere to learn, good crew members with great sense of work ethic. only issue is the lack of communication between administration and operations members.
Pros
safety rewards incentives
Cons
no official lunch breaks, third party disability management
All in all, a great place to work.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 14, 2017
If you do your job and do it well, you are respected and have potential for advancement. Management does work with most everyone to accommodate personal issues, etc. The job can be intense and there was lots of work. But overall, a good place to have a career.
Terrible management and treatment of employees.Dying business at PDC facility
Technician 4 (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 5, 2017
N/A Facility is in a downward spiral. Infrastructure is poor and unsafe and no funds are being put into facility for improvements. Would not suggest anyone work there. They treat summer interns much better than full time employees.
Great personnel
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMarch 16, 2017
A typical work day at Albemarle was very rushed and very challenging. My work day started at 3:30 in the morning. We worked 12 hour shifts. This is a union plant that was built many years ago and the mind set has not changed.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Older plant
Not a bad place to work
Senior R&D Specialist (Former Employee) –  Magnolia, ARNovember 10, 2016
Lots of challenging work, good place to make a career of it. I was laid off which is the only reason I am not there now. I would recommend this job to any chemist.
Good group of employees and management
Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Magnolia, ARMay 4, 2016
Job was to far from my home when my current job became available I took it to save road time. To many call out due to shortage of instrument techs.
Not a good place to work
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  South Haven, MINovember 20, 2015
If you are an older employee you are targeted. Company always tries to buy out anyone over 55 once you are 60 if you make it that far your days are numbered, very poor managers most are not experienced.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
poor management very clicky
Would Not Recommend the Company
R&D Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 25, 2015
A typical day at work:

Get into work. Get stabbed in the back by your co-worker. Continue to work hard to see the back stabber be promoted to be your boss. Get abused and quit.

Advise: avoid it not a place for hardworking experienced professionals
Pros
People
Cons
Location, Management, culture
Struggling with Growth
Project Engineering Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 14, 2015
poor communication, heavy handed central organization, confused strategy, poor employee retention and noncompetitive salary in a very competitive work environment.
Pros
can become dead wood
Cons
can become dead wood
Mom & Pop refinery
Word Processor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXNovember 13, 2014
Responsible for reconciling timesheet and invoice records for all contractor and sub-contractors. Skills learned enabled me to apply for long term employment with KBR.
friendly and a nice place to work at.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXOctober 1, 2014
The co-worker are more like family. they are respectful and professional.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
The management
A good work family balance
RD scientist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge LASeptember 24, 2014
Fairly good benefits. Overall good place to work for engineers.
Albemarle Corporation
Process Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Tyrone, PAAugust 18, 2014
Great internship experience. Company focused on safety. Engineering department was very hands on with the day to day operations and maintained good relationships with operators. Plant was focused on productivity without sacrificing quality.
Human Resources Summer Intern
HR Intern (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 21, 2014
Assisted supervisors with daily administrative activities. Scheduled meetings, events and interviews. Organized and audited essential paperwork. Participated in networking events and intern activities, group meetings and presentations. Very supportive and encouraging supervisors. At times hard to stay occupied on "slow" days. Really enjoyed interacting with staff and fellow interns at networking events.
Pros
Plenty of fun intern activities. Felt as if valued and included in daily operations.
Cons
Light workload at times. Must be creative in coming up with ways to be productive.
Productive and fun workplace
Payroll (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 9, 2014
I have learned many different payroll policies and procedures. Enjoy working with the employees at the different sites. I have learned how payroll works at a Union and Non-Union site.
Pros
Able to work from home
Productive. Intense work environment.Success-driven
General Service Specialist, IST Management (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 9, 2014
Maintain records, answer phones and direct calls properly, assist in training new hires, interact with diverse cultures, establish security defense responsibilities, perform tasks under high-pressure situations, and review FedEx via Payment Net System, learned basic SAP software, organized invoices of various types, sort, scan and index invoices. Processed invoices in SAP i.e. Service Entries, record and submit work orders and conduct delivery, develop workload prioritization, motivate myself and others, and maintain break rooms and conference rooms. Performed accounts payable processing in SAP systems.