Albertina Kerr Centers Employee Reviews

Great place to learn and grow
Program Manager II (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 21, 2017
It is a great company to start in, where you can learn and grow and help people with disabilities. This is also a company where you shouldn't work here if you are not passionate about what we do. You will not like it and want to leave. It's not easy business advocating and helping people with disabilities, but so worth it.

They provide a lot of opportunities for advancement. If that is something you want, you will get it if you work hard. They like to promote from within.

Benefits are amazing and get better the longer you are employed here.

I don't know about everyone else, but my manager is the best.
Pros
Great management, opportunity for career advancement, paid trainings
Cons
Wage gap between service providers and Admin/Marketing
Childrens homes are poorly run with high turnover, Adult homes are better long term options
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 12, 2017
Can be a very fun job or a very difficult job. Management policies and what is enforced is so very different depending on each program even though there are standard company wide policies that should govern how each program operates. A lot of nepotism within management and policies are enforced only when its convenient for them.

However there are at times great management and staff teams but low pay and benefits quickly break these up as most at this job cannot live off the low wages they provide. Especially considering the amount of stress and physical danger that is experienced at many of the teen programs. So many of the best staff that are in it truly for the people served either have to work a second job and get burned out or move on to a different sector for a livable wage.
I do not know why
Program Manager 2 (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORNovember 27, 2017
The clients are what keep you there. The pay freezes with promises of better wages after five years are what keep you hoping and holding on. While during that time you kill your body till the day they fire you for being disabled because you worked for them.
Dicipline Poorly Managed
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 17, 2017
Staff are treated unfairly, policies are disciplined when it is convenient for management, staffing issues rarely handled. I would never recommend this as a positive work environment you would be better off picking ANY other I/DD services company
Pros
Open Avaliability during shift
Cons
stressful, unorganized
Great job, not great company
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORSeptember 22, 2017
I love this job and the clients that I serve, but have a lot of issues with how the company is run. A lot of the focus tends to be on the political side of things and not on the actual clients themselves. I helped clients with their daily lives and taught them how to do basic tasks for themselves. A lot of employees take this as a job where they can sit around and not do anything, but the clients suffer because of this. There are very few employees who are here for the clients and not for the paycheck. Another huge downfall is that it is nearly impossible to get fired from this company. Even if there is clear proof of issues that would not be tolerated in other companies, the individuals are not reprimanded in any way. If you are to work here, only do the bare minimum and do not make friends with your coworkers. Keep your personal life as personal and private as possible.
Pros
Great clients
Cons
Awful coworkers
Working with those who need it the most
Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORSeptember 8, 2017
This was an inpatient lock in residential facility and as such I am not at liberty to discuss who I worked with and what I did there, per HIPAA rules protecting clients and employees of the facility
Worthless
Life Enrichment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORAugust 31, 2017
It is a sexist environment to work in. If you are not in the clique, you're screwed. Every shift should have at least 2 staff, I worked alone for 2 years.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
very hard work when alone.
Good work place with good kids
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Cornelius, ORAugust 13, 2017
Good job would have stayed if I didn't have to move back to Vegas after graduation. I enjoyed being able to have an impact on these kids lives who were dealing with their disorders.
A great place to work, but it doesn't feel like work.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 21, 2017
The staff is fantastic. They work as a team and have a great time doing their job. The residents are well taken care of and everyone loves to pitch in to make sure everyone has a great day. Fun place to work.
Pros
paid time off, benefits, great atmosphere
Cons
not working for them
Can be pretty competitive
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 29, 2017
Has some good moments but isn't necessarily the best place to work. I enjoyed the line of work we did because the customers really needed mental health but the day to day grind was exhausting.

Want to know more about Albertina Kerr Centers?

Ask a question
Good direct work and management experience
Program Manager 1/ Employment Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 25, 2017
Employment Specialist gave great direct work experience with adults with developmental disability. Management experience in working in 24 hr residential
Productive but stressful work environment
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORDecember 6, 2016
The job was very stressful and required a lot of overtime work but compensation did not make it worth it. It's a tough job requiring a lot of physical effort and dealing with so many challenging behaviors each shift. Staff was nice for the most part but some staff were not agreeable or communicative. Management was organized and mostly positive but did not provide enough support when staff needed it leading to us feeling unsafe in the work environment.
Pros
40 hours guaranteed, Paid Time Off, Free benefits
Cons
low compensation, not enough management support
high stress, low pay
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORNovember 7, 2016
This is a great place to gain experience in the field but the work is very stressful and employees are under paid and don't stick around very long
benefits
Love/Hate
Assistant Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 23, 2016
Love the residents, pretty much loved my job. but didn't feel support from management. Felt like they have really good intentions but reality is that most are not ob tainted. not paid well and you get what you you pay for. There are those few that aren't there for the pay.
Pros
good benefits, hours if you want them, accural of vacation hours easy.
Cons
management doesn't support staff, over worked, underpaid
Working with DD adults
LIFE ENRICHMENT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 9, 2016
I took this job as interim employment and did not find any counseling duties there. We mostly did ADL's for the clients who were not capable of caring for themselves
Pros
Interim JOb
Cons
Bathing and feeding adults
Caring and progressive work site.
Clinical ServicesDirector/Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 18, 2015
Typical day includes assessing, evaluating, and interviewing clients/staff. I have learned how to focus, maintain relationships, and manage crisis situations at a high level. My coworkers are professional, courteous, and caring people interested in others well-being. The hardest part of the job is managing one's own emotions when constantly hearing about often times tragic and deplorable situations that others have had to endure. The most enjoyable part is seeing others successes unfold and taking control of their own lives, find who they are, and striving to get there.
Pros
Insurance benefits
Cons
Turn over in staffing
great place poor management
les (Current Employee) –  rockwoodSeptember 10, 2015
Start the day with peoples routine, getting up showering dressing and personal care, after routine we head out to the community to interact with other. we as staff try to complete the clients goals for the year.. then back home and I leave for the day.
Pros
some free places to explore
Cons
not realy any lunch or breaks
Good for gaining experience in the field
Life Enrichment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 29, 2015
In a typical day at work staff are responsible for the general health and well being of those we serve. Everyday living activities, medications and treatments, community outings, any appointments and ride scheduling are usual. Bowel care, hygiene and showering, behavior supports, medical supports and individual supports are pertinent to the job functions.

In just over a year I have learned a great deal about the MRDD community and what it takes to be a caregiver. I continue to learn new things which is one of my favorite parts of the job.

The management in this particular program is null and void. Most programs have steady management teams but this one has struggled tremendously. We are currently without a program manger and without an assistant program manager. The lack of team work and communication make this a difficult environment to work in. Staff here seem not to work together to create a positive, healthy work environment. It seems for selfish rather than person centered.

The most difficult part of the job is having to work with difficult behaviors however, staff are trained in how to appropriately address concerns and work closely with a behavior specialist. Aside from the job duties, the lack of trained and able bodied staff is very difficult. It becomes tiring and staff experience burn out causing most to quit within months if not weeks of getting hired.

The wages could be better. Benefits package is great and support for staff and their families is available, The wage itself have more than 3/4 of some 850+ staff to be collecting welfare benefits for their
  more... families. It is rather difficult to live within your means on a low wage.

The best part of the job is the personal rewards staff get from enriching someone else's life. Job perks like basketball games, beach excursions, vacations to Mexico and other destinations are well liked. There are plenty of opportunities to get persons served out into the community and be involved. Those are my personal favorites to the job. Those are the things that have kept me here so long!
Pros
Community job perks, Pto, medical/vision/dental, 401k, one free meal per shift, O/T opportunities, raises possible
Cons
low wages, no breaks, staff work alone most often, forced O/T every now and then, gossip in the work place, lack of appreciation from co-workers and managemnt
Nice Place to work
MIS Technician I (Former Employee) –  Portland, OrMay 29, 2015
Nurturing and easy going atmosphere. was a pleasure to come into work everyday. I was proud to be a part of the community. the work life balance was actually balanced
Pros
Great team support
Cons
nothing really
Where's the Management
Life Enrichment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORApril 23, 2015
Management of my particular program was non existent. Little direction and encouragement. 14 hours shifts regularly and little effort made to keep employees happy and work with them. People call out all the time and you end up having to cover crazy shifts/crazy hours.
Pros
Overtime Like Crazy
Cons
No breaks, long hours