Albertina Kerr Employee Reviews

Great place to be of you are under the right management
Life enrichment specialist 1 (Current Employee) –  Milwaukie, ORNovember 16, 2015
I am a current employee, I've worked here for 3yrs...though some houses and staff are pretty hard to deal with, if you happen to get the right house you will be extremely happy with this job,... If not ,you may very much dislike it upper management could work a bit harder though
Pros
Going to outings/ free foodz
Cons
Tough work if you have a co worker that isn't so helpful
it was a good and fun job
LEAD (Current Employee) –  Salem, OROctober 29, 2015
i have worked at albertina keer for almost 6 years was alot of fun daily work is doing paper work making sure all meds and documnets are in order make appointments talk to parents drs teachers, i work with alot of different people threw out the day have alot of fun at work the hardest part of the job is dealing with staff that are not doing there job correctly,
Pros
the clients i work with
Cons
managment
Okay place
Life Enrichment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cornelius, ORSeptember 14, 2015
Easy job and outings are really fun. Lacks the training needed to be successful so most people have to learn things "the hard way"
Love working with children with behaviors
Life Enrichment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland OrAugust 7, 2015
Working with the kids with high behaviors can be challenging but rewarding when they come around and learn from what you teach them.
Pros
get paid for lunch, get to go places at the companies pays for it
good job worth while and worth the experience
Les1 (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORMay 20, 2015
over all it is a great company and the employers are logical and kind. the only thing I could complain about is some of my fellow employees and the night shift that I work.e
Pros
free benifits decent pay
Cons
shifts are hard to change and some of the other employees are not the best to work with.
Rewarding but low pay and long hours
PROGRAM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 11, 2015
Albertina Kerr was rewarding, but with low pay and very long hours. Upper management tended to be out of touch with what was going on in the houses.
A day in direct care.
Direct Care (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 11, 2015
I worked in a group home for adults with cognitivephysical barriers. There are two kinds, Behavior and Medical. The home I worked in was a behavioral home. It was very important to follow daily routine. At the start of every shift it is necessary to check records from the shift before regarding client. Verifying meds were administered properly, clients mood, behavior and the days activities. Daily I assisted with teaching and helping with tasks, such as laundry, dishes, bathing, grooming and community inclusion activities.
Pros
This was a fun and rewarding job.
Cons
Observing the difficulties clients have with their cognitive barriers.
Horrible management
les (Current Employee) –  eugeneApril 21, 2015
Working with the company for a long time, I have seen this place go from really great, to really horrible. The people you take care of are awesome. It is very rewarding to work with people who depend on you for most things in their life. It can be challenging but, most jobs are.
The management and the way this company has changed is what makes people want to leave. They DO NOT appreciate their staff, even though we do the most important work. Feel lucky if you ever hear a thank you from someone. They focus on small meaningless things and worry about what you said on Tuesday at 3 o'clock, instead of finding ways to make the clients life better or thinking of how they can show appreciation.
You are expected to show up to mandatory meetings that the management hardly shows up for.
If it wasn't for our union, most people who have been here a while would be fired.
The assistant director in lane county is a micro manager who does absolutely nothing productive to help the company grow. She gets her kicks by writing people up and firing them.
None of the upper management know how to work with the clients as they never step foot in the houses, unless it's for a meeting with people outside the agency so they look good. Never expect to get a raise, and if you do, it's most likely about $0.10 every year. They are too involved in buying more houses, instead of giving raises and staffing the programs appropriately.
I wish I could say that this is a great company to work for, but it's not anymore.
And the reason is solely because of the management and the rediculous policies they
  more... have in place.
If they didn't let some managers run the show, things would be a lot better.
Pros
the clients, free meals, rewarding jobs
Cons
management, pay, lack of appreciation
Working here was my worst nightmare
Psychiatric Technician Subacute (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORMarch 24, 2015
A typical day at work is seeing employees extremely tired, unhappy at their job and really over worked and stressed out. Everyday we have a crisis intervention with a youth and restraints have to be used on the kids. Thankfully, I never did a restraint. No one is happy at Albertina Kerr, everyone is miserable (and the managers pretend to be okay, but they are just are as stressed out).
Being in a locked down psychiatric facility where the youth are confined and treated a certain way, I try to make the best of it. My best part of the day is to interact with the youth, have a dialogue, maybe make them laugh.
The supervisors and managers here are heartless and really cold. They are super stressed out, so they take it out on whos under them. There is one specific supervisor that trains workers, and she basically has a power control trip, and a very unprofessional demeaner.
Not only did this place give me nightmares, but it also made my health worse. And because of my health, I got fired. I felt like I had no hope left in this field of work due to this organization, but then again I celebrated when I got terminated. What I didn't know is that my last shift, I had other workers review my every step, so they have evidence to fire me. When I came into a NIGHT shift, I was put into a small office and told that I am not able to do my job correctly and that I risked the lives of the youth and the employees. Reasoning behind this is that you cannot leave the youth alone in the "unit" but my shift partner stayed in the office and a lot of the youth wanted to use the bathroom in which
  more... you have to unlock it. They had about 3 other workers in the unit all at once (without me know that they were analyzing me). I was there to get fired. It was so exaggerated and a huge blow to my self worth.

Also, I was under a lot of pressure from a supervisor, telling me how disappointed she is with me, and questioning my illness and trying to pry and tell her what was wrong. I told her she made me feel VERY uncomfortable and I prefer not to have those long extended conversations on how I'm not doing my job correctly and to get along with it. I wanted to just leave, I wondered why they hired me in the first place.

I could go all day and say why I really hate working for this organization, but I'm just going to end it with this statement:

Its obvious why these youth get either 1. transferred out of the program into another program instead of back into the community 2. become worse inside this facility and more escalated and 3. their stay is longer than the programs expectations because they do not see improvement.

I advise everyone who wants to apply at Albertina Kerr to look into the reviews from other employees and see if the 11 dollars is worth it for you.

*Also, there is a high turn over rate within this company (theres always someone quitting, getting fired or moving on to better things, so really think about that before you even set foot into this organization!
Pros
talking to youth
Cons
HR doesn't respond or help, bad moral, no sick time, power struggles, restraints on children, no breaks, no support, low pay, high turn over
Excellent
Life Enrichment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 29, 2014
I have already answered on a previous page. This continues to pop up.
Rewarding work.
Life Enrichment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukie, ORSeptember 5, 2014
I loved being able to aid my client's in their daily activities. The hardest part of the job was being on call, I would go straight from working two graveyard shifts to two morning shifts. My co-workers were great for the most part. I learned to ask for help when I need it.
Great Place to work
Life Enrichment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORApril 19, 2014
Basically you would work with kids that are developmentally disabled or other issues ranging from foster kids to kids with anger issues. You got to hang out with clients and take them places like theaters, swimming, and any other community events you would like to do with your clients. I learned how to manage kids with disabilities and if need to restrain them which was one the down falls for working with kids with disabilities because this could happen often even on your outings. The management lacks communication with its staff and their managers...for example our schedule would change and they would not really notify till like maybe a day in advance. That was one of the reasons why I left because of management and certain co-workers but in any job you are going to find co-workers that just are not nice to be around. The hardest part of the job like I said before is having to restrain your client if need to and the great thing about working for this type of company is that you as a staff can choose the type of community outing you wanted to do for the day and you get to enjoy having fun doind the activity with your client.
Pros
getting to take clients out almost where ever you would like
Cons
having to restrain your client if needed
I felt like I was serving children in need of trust worthy staff
LES ll (Former Employee) –  Cornelius, ORMarch 26, 2014
A great company to work for they serve a great service to children in need of daily care
Pros
loving my clients
Hard work with some rewards
Life Enrichment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Junction City, ORJanuary 20, 2014
This job is very different depending on whether you are in a medical home or a behavioral home. In a medical home, you are constantly moving, lifting, preparing meals, administering medications, helping with toileting or changing adult diapers, helping feed people, helping with personal hygiene...basically, you end up being a person's body and house keeper. In a behavioral home, you have a lot less that you're doing because people are generally mobile. They can help you with house chores, they can toilet themselves, and generally don't need you in the same way. However, you end up having to deal with angry and violent people.

Depending on which house you're at and who your residents are, this is a very rewarding job. Personally, I prefer being in a medical home. You help take care of people who can't take care of themselves, and I made many friendships with my co-workers, residents, as well as residents' families. However, there are always a few "baddies" in the bunch.

Some co-workers do not follow the rules and/or honestly do not care about the people you're supposed to be taking care of. Some residents are really difficult to work with because of behavioral issues, and are abusive to the staff (verbally and physically aggressive). And if you can't deal with bodily functions, you really aren't going to be able to make it in this line of work.

My experience has been that you can't expect any help from management when you have trouble with a co-worker or a resident. You are expected to either deal with it, or leave the company. When you are in a county where you are part of
  more... a union, you are not treated as "part of the company", but that's to be expected really. It just seems like in a union, they are constantly looking for an excuse fire you if they can. When you aren't in a union, there is more of a "team atmosphere" between management and care-giving staff. They try their darnedest to keep you around if you are a good worker because they don't want to have to hire and train someone new.

There is really no room for advancement. The benefits are alright, medical etc. You have to complete a LOT of training, on the job, online, and in a classroom, but once you're trained, you only need to take refresher courses occasionally, and you're paid to go to the classroom trainings.
N/A.
APM/LES II (Current Employee) –  Gresham, OR - Salem, ORSeptember 25, 2013
I believe Albertina Kerr is a fairly good company with a solid structure. This being said, compensation is low, moral is often low and there are very few positions within this company which offer a livable wage.
bad managment , greedy heartless people
les 2 (Former Employee) –  wood village group homeJanuary 5, 2013
I worked there for a very long time it is a decent jobif you like helping people. But it will burn you out because you never have the back up staff you need when you need it. You only advance if you know someone or are related to someone or brown nose your way to the top which means being a slave the extra dollar is not worth it. The manager is a puppet to her manager and her manager abuses her authority and when you go above that mnager you have to worry about getting the worst schedule or on weak shifts. The managers steal the kids money that they get from the state. I think the company started with good inntentios butn then just got greedy for what you have to do and the people you have to put up with the pay is not enough.
Pros
401, paid vaction
Cons
over worked, always understaffed, no open door policy like they claim
Easy going job with brief moments of craziness
Life Enrichment Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 2, 2013
I worked nights,which suited my needs at the time. I learned about medications and some medical issues while reading case files. I didn't see or work with any management, since I worked nights. Usually only worked with 1 other person, which for the most part went well. Hardest part of the job was putting kids in restraints. I really liked interacting with them while they where awake, unless they needed to be restrained.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no raises
very interesting place to work
Residential treatment counselor (Former Employee) –  portland orMay 24, 2012
i learn to be more patient and understanding .i learned self controll and restriction
A fun place to work I take care of amzazing people
Lifetime Enrichment Specialist (Current Employee) –  milwaukie oregonApril 13, 2012
Assisting residents with every day needs. I learned how to pass medications and learned alot about different medications. I learned alot about people with disabilities. The hardest part of my job is witnessing all the budget cuts they have to programs for people with disablilities. The most enjoyable part of my job was taking the residents on activiteis ,
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no breaks