Albertina Kerr Employee Reviews

Loved this place
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 21, 2017
I loved working at this place.

I think what I love most about this place was the people. I got the feeling that everyone I worked with was like a second family.

Whenever I needed help clarifying a policy/procedure I could ask a question and get an answer.
Pros
Free lunches with some meetings, social gatherings, helpful coworkers
Cons
You have to keep track of your hours exactly
could be fun but ...
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 27, 2016
I've seen people come and go on these type of jobs . Your life is in these individuals hands who's lives have been slightly tampered with so if they want to get you fired for whatever reason there won't be any explaining until later after your investigation is over . I'd like to take responsibility for myself
Pros
making a change for others
Cons
alot of these individuals are set in there ways
Great Company
Life Enrichment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Clackamas, ORNovember 15, 2016
If you enjoy being a DSP or LES, this company is wonderful. There a huge variety of homes and clients that all differ in care. Plenty of options for overtime.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Short staffed
Caregiver/LES
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 16, 2016
I freally enjoyed the particular home I was in. I loved the clients and other employees. I was not able to stay as long as I would have liked as I moved to a different state, but had I not I would still work here.
Would not reccommend working here.
Temporary Assignment (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 8, 2016
After locating and organizing an entire month of charges which enabled the company to close fiscal year end and month end, my contract was terminated.
Pros
Non Profit Organization
Cons
Poorly managed. Does not appreciate quality work. High turn over.
A good place to start, but do not linger.
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 19, 2016
I have learned much on my own working with at risk youth at the Subacute facility. I would note however that it was suspiciously easy to get a job here and have come to realize that Subacute suffers from a high employee turnover rate due to unfair expectations set on staff from management and high stress work environment.
Pros
Good entry point into the field
Cons
Unfair expectations set on new staff
Glad I am on my way out!
not saying - sorry (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 8, 2016
Management is horrible. HR is worse. They do not care at all about middle management and the staff that they have working most of the time are not using the common sense. If you say something you are terminated.

I love the kids but honestly I would NEVER work there if you value your sanity and your family.
amazing company with great staff and residents
Life Enrichment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 24, 2016
A typical day at work usually depends on which group home youre in. Some group homes are more laid back than others and even though many routines are similar, each resident has specific needs that needs to be taken care of in different ways. I learned during my time in the company that even those with disabilities have strong personalities that shine through even though they are limited on what they can share. Management was always a hit or miss. You either got a good manager that knew what they were doing and made your job easier, or you got a manager that did the exact opposite and you found yourself running around trying to cover the slack. Coworkers are always wonderful to have. Some coworkers have been there for 10+ years and can show you tricks to helping the residents that you never knew. There are also new coworkers who are coming to find the job just as lovely as you did when you first started. The hardest part of the job was when the company was short staffed, they only had one relief staff per 2-3 group homes and you found yourself working 16hr shifts every night.
Even through all that, the best part of the job was definitely the residents. When working with them you cant help but adore each and every one of them. They bring so much more into your life and you grow so much more as a person. It is definitely a wonderful place to work at.
Pros
benefits, coworkers, residents, free lunches
Cons
managers
High in Experience, Low in Employee Satisfaction
Psychiatric Technician (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 11, 2016
Albertina Kerr is a fine mental health corporation for its clients and offers good mental health experience to its employees. However, employee turnover is very high and it's due to employee safety and satisfaction being a low priority. Employees often have to work overtime despite being scheduled for certain shifts. Employees are frequently compensated incorrectly. Employees are easily injured and poorly protected by the workers comp insurance agency.
Pros
Good mental health experience
Cons
Short-to-No breaks; Limited employee protection; Mediocre compensation
Extremely stressful work environment
Direct Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 16, 2015
My coworkers are amazing, compassionate and badass people. The participants are largely the same. My immediate supervisor is great, but management in general seems pretty incompetent. We are ALWAYS short staffed, partly intentionally and partly because of the high turnover rate in the field. But AK refuses to keep the programs fully staffed, so that we are stretched thin and more stressed than necessary, and keeps us at a very low wage, with no real chance of promotion or raise. I never get a break, except maybe a 5 min bathroom break. Management are very unsupportive and don't seem to care about the staff. Last year they cut our hours, so we don't have time to clean up, set up or plan our programs, which means the participants suffer. They squeezed out every penny they could and the CEO took home a bonus over $10,000 more than my yearly income. They care about profit, and that's about it.
Pros
health benefits, opportunity to work with people with disabilities and make art
Cons
no breaks, not enough hours, stressful, very low pay and incompetent management
Great place to be of you are under the right management
Life enrichment specialist 1 (Current Employee) –  Milwaukie, ORNovember 16, 2015
I am a current employee, I've worked here for 3yrs...though some houses and staff are pretty hard to deal with, if you happen to get the right house you will be extremely happy with this job,... If not ,you may very much dislike it upper management could work a bit harder though
Pros
Going to outings/ free foodz
Cons
Tough work if you have a co worker that isn't so helpful
it was a good and fun job
LEAD (Current Employee) –  Salem, OROctober 29, 2015
i have worked at albertina keer for almost 6 years was alot of fun daily work is doing paper work making sure all meds and documnets are in order make appointments talk to parents drs teachers, i work with alot of different people threw out the day have alot of fun at work the hardest part of the job is dealing with staff that are not doing there job correctly,
Pros
the clients i work with
Cons
managment
Okay place
Life Enrichment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cornelius, ORSeptember 14, 2015
Easy job and outings are really fun. Lacks the training needed to be successful so most people have to learn things "the hard way"
Love working with children with behaviors
Life Enrichment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland OrAugust 7, 2015
Working with the kids with high behaviors can be challenging but rewarding when they come around and learn from what you teach them.
Pros
get paid for lunch, get to go places at the companies pays for it
good job worth while and worth the experience
Les1 (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORMay 20, 2015
over all it is a great company and the employers are logical and kind. the only thing I could complain about is some of my fellow employees and the night shift that I work.e
Pros
free benifits decent pay
Cons
shifts are hard to change and some of the other employees are not the best to work with.
Rewarding but low pay and long hours
PROGRAM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 11, 2015
Albertina Kerr was rewarding, but with low pay and very long hours. Upper management tended to be out of touch with what was going on in the houses.
A day in direct care.
Direct Care (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 11, 2015
I worked in a group home for adults with cognitivephysical barriers. There are two kinds, Behavior and Medical. The home I worked in was a behavioral home. It was very important to follow daily routine. At the start of every shift it is necessary to check records from the shift before regarding client. Verifying meds were administered properly, clients mood, behavior and the days activities. Daily I assisted with teaching and helping with tasks, such as laundry, dishes, bathing, grooming and community inclusion activities.
Pros
This was a fun and rewarding job.
Cons
Observing the difficulties clients have with their cognitive barriers.
Horrible management
les (Current Employee) –  eugeneApril 21, 2015
Working with the company for a long time, I have seen this place go from really great, to really horrible. The people you take care of are awesome. It is very rewarding to work with people who depend on you for most things in their life. It can be challenging but, most jobs are.
The management and the way this company has changed is what makes people want to leave. They DO NOT appreciate their staff, even though we do the most important work. Feel lucky if you ever hear a thank you from someone. They focus on small meaningless things and worry about what you said on Tuesday at 3 o'clock, instead of finding ways to make the clients life better or thinking of how they can show appreciation.
You are expected to show up to mandatory meetings that the management hardly shows up for.
If it wasn't for our union, most people who have been here a while would be fired.
The assistant director in lane county is a micro manager who does absolutely nothing productive to help the company grow. She gets her kicks by writing people up and firing them.
None of the upper management know how to work with the clients as they never step foot in the houses, unless it's for a meeting with people outside the agency so they look good. Never expect to get a raise, and if you do, it's most likely about $0.10 every year. They are too involved in buying more houses, instead of giving raises and staffing the programs appropriately.
I wish I could say that this is a great company to work for, but it's not anymore.
And the reason is solely because of the management and the rediculous policies they
  more... have in place.
If they didn't let some managers run the show, things would be a lot better.
Pros
the clients, free meals, rewarding jobs
Cons
management, pay, lack of appreciation
Working here was my worst nightmare
Psychiatric Technician Subacute (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORMarch 24, 2015
A typical day at work is seeing employees extremely tired, unhappy at their job and really over worked and stressed out. Everyday we have a crisis intervention with a youth and restraints have to be used on the kids. Thankfully, I never did a restraint. No one is happy at Albertina Kerr, everyone is miserable (and the managers pretend to be okay, but they are just are as stressed out).
Being in a locked down psychiatric facility where the youth are confined and treated a certain way, I try to make the best of it. My best part of the day is to interact with the youth, have a dialogue, maybe make them laugh.
The supervisors and managers here are heartless and really cold. They are super stressed out, so they take it out on whos under them. There is one specific supervisor that trains workers, and she basically has a power control trip, and a very unprofessional demeaner.
Not only did this place give me nightmares, but it also made my health worse. And because of my health, I got fired. I felt like I had no hope left in this field of work due to this organization, but then again I celebrated when I got terminated. What I didn't know is that my last shift, I had other workers review my every step, so they have evidence to fire me. When I came into a NIGHT shift, I was put into a small office and told that I am not able to do my job correctly and that I risked the lives of the youth and the employees. Reasoning behind this is that you cannot leave the youth alone in the "unit" but my shift partner stayed in the office and a lot of the youth wanted to use the bathroom in which
  more... you have to unlock it. They had about 3 other workers in the unit all at once (without me know that they were analyzing me). I was there to get fired. It was so exaggerated and a huge blow to my self worth.

Also, I was under a lot of pressure from a supervisor, telling me how disappointed she is with me, and questioning my illness and trying to pry and tell her what was wrong. I told her she made me feel VERY uncomfortable and I prefer not to have those long extended conversations on how I'm not doing my job correctly and to get along with it. I wanted to just leave, I wondered why they hired me in the first place.

I could go all day and say why I really hate working for this organization, but I'm just going to end it with this statement:

Its obvious why these youth get either 1. transferred out of the program into another program instead of back into the community 2. become worse inside this facility and more escalated and 3. their stay is longer than the programs expectations because they do not see improvement.

I advise everyone who wants to apply at Albertina Kerr to look into the reviews from other employees and see if the 11 dollars is worth it for you.

*Also, there is a high turn over rate within this company (theres always someone quitting, getting fired or moving on to better things, so really think about that before you even set foot into this organization!
Pros
talking to youth
Cons
HR doesn't respond or help, bad moral, no sick time, power struggles, restraints on children, no breaks, no support, low pay, high turn over
Excellent
Life Enrichment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 29, 2014
I have already answered on a previous page. This continues to pop up.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Albertina Kerr. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9