Albertson's LLC

Albertson's LLC United States Employee Reviews

Customer Service with a smile
Butcher Block Supervisor (Former Employee), Plano, TXFebruary 20, 2015
8 hour day of lifting, icing a food bar, filling it with meat and seafood. Walking all day and making sure customers were taken care of, loved the customers, loved the physical work but this job caused my disability at this time.
I gained experience, but it wasn't necessarily good.
Deli Assistant (Former Employee), Garland, TXJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: it taught me to dive in and be the best despite circumstances
Cons: poor training, few opportunities to advance, little to no raises in money, no real implementation of authority by management
I'm not sure that I would condemn anyone working for Albertson's, but I certainly wouldn't praise someone for picking this company as a career choice. From the moment I began working until the moment I was laid off four years later, I was told on a daily basis to not get comfortable because the store would be closing soon.

My first night on the job I was brought into the department and told where the lights were for the cold bar (that's what we called the area behind glass where we kept our salads), I was shown where food was in the freezer, and I was told where the supplies for cleaning dishes were located. The supervisor then told me she was going home and left me alone in the department. I thought I was going to have someone come in and train me on the machines or how to cook food, but no. I was left alone to run that department and close it down, and I had to get my feet wet by being pushed in, not by jumping in.

I managed to make things work. I read the labels on the containers and packages until I could convince myself and customers that I knew what I was doing. I unfortunately had to turn away several people, but I did make some sales. And those customers came back the next day, and the next, and so on for four years. I became an expert at my job and was up for promotion when the store finally was put into real danger of closing. The owner had died and his sons inherited the Albertson's company - at least that's what we were told - and were auctioning it off to the highest bidder.

At the time Albertson's also had a small gas station that was unused for several years – more... and the new store manager asked us to revamp it. I was asked in a meeting what I thought would be a good way to get people interested and I suggested that we sell our leftover foods from the deli and bakery at the pumps.I was laughed at at first, but I was told I could try it out one night and see what happened. I made $85 the first hour and sold all of our chicken. By the end of the night I had made over $200. The program became a regular event, but I was the only one who ever made money because I took the time to actually talk to the customers.

Near the end of my job I was coming in to open the department, I was training new team members, I was cooking all the food, I was selling the food and packing up food that didn't sell, I was selling the remaining packed up food at the gas pumps, and then I was closing down the department. I worked twelve hour shifts more than a few times and rarely saw the employees I was actually training. I was never up for promotion and I barely made more than $8.00 an hour.

The biggest problem I had with Albertson's was that their employees had no real training. I worked with a man who would turn off the lights and yell at people that we were closed because he felt like going home early. There was no implementation of punishment for doing poorly in your job. Some of the people there would take two or three hour lunches and never clock out, and none of the managers would even shrug their shoulders when informed. It doesn't surprise me that the store was always threatened in closing.

By June of 2008 I had started to look for another job. The rumors about the store closing were getting worse and people were leaving left and right. I received a letter in the mail from the company headquarters with a check that said, "Termination due effect immediately." I went to my store manager and he said he knew nothing about it. I was still on the schedule to come in for the next week. My boss called corporate and was told that I had been laid off as one of many cuts to the store as it neared its swan song.

The store closed shortly after and many employees were not lucky enough to get a check in the mail for their services.

Overall I learned several skills from my first real job, but the biggest one I learned is not to give up. You can't let people drag you down; when someone shoves you in a department with no training and leaves you to your own devices, you can either start reading labels and trying to work, or you can sit on your thumbs and blame it on poor managers. I left my job at Albertson's as a senior member of my department and one of the top sales people in the entire store because I didn't wait on other people to train me and tell me how to do my job. I figured it out and I took the initiative. – less
Normally a fun atmosphere to work in
Assistant Meat Manager (Former Employee), Sheridan, WYJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: discount program
Cons: monotonous workload
I enjoyed getting to know my coworkers and learning from customers and the management. I worked hard to get my lists done but it didn't always work out as I planned. The manager that I directly worked under had 30+ years in the industry and I learned alot about meat cutting from him.
Customer Service with a smile
Butcher Block Supervisor (Former Employee), Plano, TXOctober 13, 2014
Pros: loved the customers
Cons: walking and lifting which i can not do any longer, but loved it then.
Direct and Control the Operation of the Butcher Block Department and Superviser
Butcher Block Personnel
Handled Purchasing and Inventory Control.
Obtained Food Handling License.
Ensure excellent customer service and product quality and freshness.

A full day included making samples to help customers make decisions on whatever meal they were planning, instructing employees what they needed to handle as their daily duties. Greeted customers and helped them make decisions and also gave them ideas for the meal they were planning or party.
Challenging workplace with many strong individuals
Non-Grocery Food Stocker (Former Employee), Newbury Park, CAApril 23, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: awful pay and fluctuating hours
Great people, awful structure. Near impossible to advance in your career with positions/pay given to more experienced employees. With mass store closings new employees get shoved to the back of the line over and over leaving more deserving employees stuck at minimum wage.
fun but bad management
Produce Clerk/ Salad Bar (Current Employee), Liberty Lake, WANovember 29, 2013
A typical day at Albertson's is pretty fun. The store level associates are always very friendly and tend to keep work at work and personal life out. The management however isn't all that great. You will run into a few that are just amazing but the majority that I have met are rude, and sometimes abusive. the hardest part of the job is always going to be your speed. you can never be fast enough to get everything done. you must be someone who can constantly challenge themselves to do better to survive at Albertson's. the most enjoyable part of my job is getting to see the smiling faces of some of our most loyal customers. They always stop to say hi to you for no reason at all, and they will spend forever talking with you because it makes there day a little better and it makes my day a little better every time.
Good first job but not a long time job choice.
Cashier (Current Employee), Mesa, AZAugust 15, 2013
Pros: discount on groceries
Cons: shifts, total hours, and raises.
Raises are far and in between, shifts are never the same, but we do get a discount on groceries. Every raise takes about 6 or more months to get and there is no bonuses for being a harder worker than others. The hardest part of the job is standing in the same exact spot for 5 to 8 hours. The easiest part is that it is always inside in ac and there is no physical labor, which makes it boring.
Horrible
Cashier (Former Employee), Abilene, TX / Frisco, TXAugust 3, 2013
Pros: employment
Cons: management, hours, unwilling to work with availability outside their bubble
In both cases working for this company it was miserable. The people I worked with were decent. Management was small minded and set in their ways. They would insult and demean you in any way possible. I felt like I was in middle school, but was working with middle age people. The job wasn't difficult it just was not pleasant to work with petty negative people.
stable work place with advancements.
Frozen food Manager (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJuly 11, 2013
Pros: like any company you can advance or decline.
Cons: patience
Overall Albertsons' has been around along time and has good cultural values.
sales & sales
bakery manager (Former Employee), North Naples, FLJune 3, 2013
first: see my previous day's sales, second : get started fresh daily, third : management all bakery department duties. four : work team, I treat my co-workers the same way I would like to be treated five : TIME important issue. six : the work is done.
good job
stocker (Former Employee), Midland, TXFebruary 19, 2013
it waas a good job with flexible hours and a good management crew.
Store is closed
Liquor clerk (Former Employee), Valrico, FLFebruary 13, 2013
Pros: flex scheduling
Cons: open 365 days a year. low pay, only part time
The store I worked for is closed. It was a great company, with friendly staff and management. Flexible when needed. Required to work all Holidays.
Great company to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Clovis, NMJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: great benefits, excellent management, great hours and fun to work at
Cons: hard to advance
This company was great to work for the management was great and the benefits were superb. This jobs day to day were typical of any retail or grocery job. Management were always there to help in any way they could. Opportunity for advancement was a tad difficult but you were always at least given an interview for anything you applied for. I would recommend this company to anyone who could apply.
even the manager is wrong sometimes
Courtesy Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee), Tampa, FLDecember 11, 2012
sometime when your assigned a duty at the job they expect you to do it but some times the supervisor can get things messed up to
Challenging and rewarding
Manager Produce and Floral Procurement (Former Employee), Plant City, FloridaDecember 3, 2012
Pros: secure and finiacially rewarding based upon performance
Cons: required 7 day a week management
Daily reveiw of perishable inventory, walk coolers inspecting product, procurement for sale demands, manage associate staffing and plan for up-coming sales events.

Exposure and experience was in all facets of retail sales and procurement

People were great to work with, but sometime challenging.

Dealing with growing and logistic disruptions

Creating and motivating sales events
Interesting and fun :)
Cashier (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLSeptember 24, 2012
Cons: smokers got more breaks than non-smokers
I loved working here. They provided a flexible schedule. My coworkers were friendly and were awesome. My supervisor was super sweet and understanding. It was a fantastic experience.
never a dull day
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), El Paso, TXAugust 22, 2012
Pros: discounts on groceries
Cons: on your feet all day
This job was a great way to meet interesting new people and was always fun.
I enjoyed working here and the people
Cashier / Lobby Clerk (Former Employee), Winter Park, FLJuly 13, 2012
Pros: getting to work with the customers and the co workers
Cons: nasty customers
I enjoyed working here with the people and helping them solve there problems. I learned how to handle people when they have a problem, I learned the cash register and I also learn how to handle workers under you. The hardest part of my job was tell people what to do and when they did not do what you told them you must handle that. I loved working here with the people and the helping the customers who were regulars.
Loved my jobs and co-workers with this company, hated to leave
Asst. Front End Mgr., Bookkeeper/Payroll clerk (Former Employee), Boise, IDJune 8, 2012
Mamnaged Cashiers and Carryouts, Customer Service, Bookkeeper/
Payroll duties, Cashier, Assist Store Director

I learned many beneficial aspects of the grocery business

Management and Co-workers were awesome

Working an early morning shift (2a.m.) was a bit hard to get used
to in the beginning

Liked everything about my job with this company
GREAT company to work for.
Front End Manager (Current Employee), vero beach flJune 1, 2012
The store is closing June 9th and it is heartbreaking to see it go. I have been there for two years and I have had the great opportunity to meet some great people.