Albuquerque Police Department Employee Reviews

It is an honor to serve the public as an officer but it is also taxing and can be dangerous.
Patrol Officer/Detective (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 14, 2017
All of the benefits for an individual working for APD are amazing. The work is rewarding at times and stressful at times. It requires quick thinking, common sense, knowledge of the neighborhoods, knowing the laws and being fit. The best part of the job for me was keeping someone safe. The hardest part of the job was lack of officers to cover areas completely.
Benefits
Cons
Can be extremely dangerous
I work with a great group of individuals.
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 12, 2017
Good place to work. There will always be job security here since it appears that crime is on the rise. Just be sure to take care of yourself and make your family (not your job) top priority.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Stress level has gone up since I first started.
Great career, lack of leadership
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 31, 2017
Poor leadership and a large gap between front line employees and high ranking supervisors tends to leave fear and uncertainty lingering over those on the beat. There is a constant worry of reprimand for small or obscure policy violations. There is a lack of community support.
Low morale and low on personnel
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 30, 2017
They go hand-in-hand low on personnel equates to low morale when working here or anywhere for that matter. There is a lot of forced overtime due to low manning levels.
Have to have the right mind set
Crime Scene Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 21, 2017
It is tough working a place that is constantly undergoing policy changes especially with the involvement of the DOJ. It is a rewarding place to work for if you are able to adapt quickly and are comfortable with an unstable environment. I believe one the dust settles and there is a definite structure it will be an even better place to work.
Fast paced learning and experience in police work
Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 11, 2017
you get a lot of police experience in a very short period of time. After 2 years, you will have experienced everything you could possibly imagine on several occasions. I was blessed to have worked with great people during my ten years that I worked in the Albuquerque Police Department. There is plenty of movement and promotions in the department along with various assignments. There was a lot of good, real world training that was provided and many schools from different agencies were also available.
Pros
Lots of fun, good people to work with, take home police car is a plus
Cons
not everyone you meet is happy to see a police officer.
Extremely rewarding job experience
Crisis Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 13, 2017
APD has one of the few opportunities to truly give back to the community and help those in crisis.

The members of the Albuquerque Police Department are some of the best this country has to offer, and truly have the community's interests at heart. I am proud to be a part of this team!
Pros
Selfless Service
Cons
Politics and the media
Facing hard times
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 7, 2016
Get your education and begin your search elsewhere. The department is currently in dire straits. Facing a tough and uncertain future. Policy changes daily and training struggles to keep pace.
The officers are second to none
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 12, 2016
The rank and file of the Albuquerque Police Department are the best I have ever seen. Understaffed and overworked, they still do their job and continue to work hard.
Cons
Anti-police media and a very political management system
very professional caring employees
Administrative Aide I (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 13, 2016
typical day at work was serving all uniform officers in the best capacity I could, the legal system, management I have a lot of different personalities, co-workers I met a lot, hardest part of the job not enough manpower, getting goals done
Very professional best job in the city
Administrative Aide I (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 21, 2016
Entering incident reports, time cards, phones, typing correspondence, discipline letters, investigations. One woman in the office with one Captain to report to, hardest part of job was not overwhelmed with work, most enjoyable weekends.
Pros
flexible lunch
Cons
nothing
Productive environment
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 14, 2015
Mngment and Co workers awesome to have had the opportunity to work with. Never run out of work, we were always kept busy, hours were just perfect. Everyone worked together, yet we all had our own productions.
Pros
Great Location
Cons
N/a
APD is a great department and I enjoyed my time of service.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 17, 2014
Great job! Over all I learnt a lot about people and how they live. I learnt about how drugs can take over some ones life. I had a great squad who loved helping the citizens of Albuquerque. The hardest part of the job for me would have to be dealing with young kids who were injured.
Pros
Able to help the citizens of Albuquerque
Cons
dealing with drunk angry people
Challenging occupation that dealt with the general public
Certified Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 17, 2013
Every day was different, challenging and rewarding when helping those who were unable to protect themselves.

Communication skills, self-confidence, and how to deal with adversity.

Like most businesses, some were strong, others inefficient, yet others lazy while still others were leaders and were fun to be around or work for.

Very strong peer support.

Continually having to deal with the criminal element in our community.

Knowing my personal actions did make a difference to those who sought my help.
Pros
Contributing to my community
Cons
Health risks that have continued to plague today
Getting in then was very easy
Police Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 29, 2013
Re-store cards more times than remorse, which I do know. Everybody talked to me way too polite, also too much on medical bugs and then went out for cancer sticks.
Pros
going after auto theft
Cons
99% bore
Always Productive
Filing Paperwork, Internship (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 22, 2013
I would help file paperwork and observe the dispatch system.
Pros
Was able to work independently at times
Cons
N/a
Never a typical day
Detective (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 5, 2012
As a detective with the Albuquerque Police Department my day was always changing. My ability to adapt and work on the fly was always being tested. In a single day I could go from answering a simple question for a citizen, to investigating a serious crime, to giving a presentation, to being involved in a highly tactical engagement with any variety of crimes in progress. My direct chain of command was more than anyone could ask for and I was happy to go to work everyday. The hardest part of the job was always having to shift gears and wear different hats depending on the situation. This however is what made this job so great.
Great career, great people, only leaving because of PERA changes.
Lieutenant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 22, 2012
I have had a fantastic career at APD. I would stay even longer, if it were not for imminent changes to the retirement plan. I have almost maxed out anyway, and am thankful for the great opportunity to work with such great people. I am extremely proud of my accomplishments and positive effect on the city of Albuquerque.
Pros
freedom, flexibility (numerous options for lateral movement to other positions), great for balancing family and work.
Cons
not many, nothing worth mentioning here.
I had fun working a short time for police Dept
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 23, 2012
Working for the the police dept was very interesting place. Co-workers were always very helpful in assisting eachother for that we all can keep up with the work load and not fall behind.
Pros
1 hour lunch/wonderful place to walk around the plaza during breaks.
Cons
n/a
Great skillbase and benefits
400 Roma NW (Former Employee) –  Police Service AideNovember 7, 2011
Working with APD was the best job I'd held in my lifetime, and looking back I feel bad for leaving. I met many great people, learned skills that will last me a lifetime and made a few friends among our great men/women in blue.
Pros
overtime compensation, vacation and sick hours, medical and dental benefits, paid holidays for civilian employees.
Cons
poor time management with scheduling, irregular hours, call-ins, mandatory overtime