Albuquerque Public Schools Employee Reviews

APS is a very good educational experience.
Teacher of a Cross Categorical K-3 Special (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 19, 2017
APS is a great place to gain teaching experience and does offer advancement opportunities. APS also will offer teachers to take paid professional development classes to further one's education.
Great Comapny
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 18, 2017
great company to work for, good benefits, meet a lot of people. Making sure a customer is satisfied with and explanation of their salary. Helping with understanding why employees under paid or overpaid. Helping when system updated to recalculate leave balances.
Pros
Meeting people
Fast paced, welcoming and rewarding
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 17, 2017
The students were amazing to work with and the staff were a team! Each student learned at their own pace and staff assisted in each area of learning; participating with the students and their studies.
Pros
summer off; unless you wanted to work
Cons
pay rate not suitable to raise a family
great people to work with
AVID Tutor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 17, 2017
the environment is friendly and people will work with what ever schedule you have already the other people you work with are supportive and the kids have a desire to learn
In a job in public school teaching there is not much room for advancement, usually there is job security.
Art Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 17, 2017
A typical day for me, teaching art classes to high school students, was 5 classes of 32 or more students. I learned many new techniques and ideas for covering the ideas that needs to be taught. The hardest and most enjoyable parts of the job were somewhat similar. It is hard for students to learn new skills but rewarding when they accomplish the task.
Pros
Chance to teach skills and ideas.
Cons
Not enough time and money to do the best job at times.
I love my job at APS,
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 26, 2017
I have worked for Albuquerque Public Schools for 15 years and have had a great working experience. All the teachers I have worked with have been competent and hard working employees. The school I worked at had a very positive attitude and employees feel like a family to me.
Pros
Summers off. Good benefits.
Cons
Not a competitive salary.
Good
HEALTH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 26, 2017
I loved the Job itself. Also loved the people I worked with, unfortunately being off in the summer and winter and a week during the spring really cuts on your actual pay. You are basically working a part time job, I was not able to make ends meet.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
unable to live on a part time basis with the pay.
An amazing experience
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 26, 2017
I worked as a first grade teacher for 3 years and I loved it. This was a year-round school so teachers were never burned out and students were not away form school long enough to forget what they learned. I was chosen to represent my department in the Six Traits writing education program. I would attend conferences and come back and teach my fellow teachers. We had a strong team and a positive working environment. The only reason I left was due to relocation.
Pros
Positive environement for students and staff
Cons
My workplace has been very productive. I feel that I have given a great deal for the enhancement of the students academic development
Bilingual Family Liaison (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 10, 2017
I really enjoy working at Albuquerque Public Schools. I love the environment and helping the students. The administrative and teaching staff are the best. Living in Albuquerque has been a great experience. Unfortunately, the salary is too low.
Pros
I love my work hours and the summer vacation, the administrative and teaching staff is great; the students are the best.
Cons
The salary is too low
Rewarding Job
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 6, 2017
This is an amazing place to work, the only con is the lack of resources and the poverty line wages. The most enjoyable part of the job is being around like minded individuals who all strive to make a lasting impact on the children they're working with.
Ok
Special Education Cross-Category Teacher (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 29, 2017
If you like to work for 6.5 hours per day, and have time to get a second job, this may be the place for you. Be prepared to research places to work very well. It's a challenging system to navigate, and unless you're good at networking, it can be a humiliating experience, due to the desire, on the part of admin, to scapegoat. I wish you good luck, this may be a great place for you. It wasn't the best for me, but it's providing a place to be a teacher.
Pros
Some excellent administrators.
Cons
Pay (depending how you look at it), heavy-handed admin, and lack of compassion.
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 22, 2017
I enjoy working here. It's a very team based place to work. Regardless of job position, we all work together equally, towards our goal of educating the students.
Fun and Rewarding
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 22, 2017
I've enjoyed working with students as a teacher. I've learned a lot of patience and learned also a lot about the special needs culture. For the most part everyone is friendly and helpful. There is a good family atmosphere. The hardest part is working with disrespectful children. The most enjoyable apart is seeing smiles on students faces because they know you care.
Albuquerque Public Schools is a secure, educational, fullfilling career
1st grade Title I Reading Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 20, 2017
I am an employee of APS for over 10 years. I have enjoyed my time working in an elementary school with a variety of early childhood learners. However, I am currently a full-time student at New Mexico Highlands University in the Social Work program. I am graduating with my bachelors in May of 2018 and would like to begin a career in Social Work. I want to advocate for vulnerable groups of individuals and promote self-determination. I do have two Associates degrees that can also assist with my future career in advocacy as well. It is a bittersweet moment for me to change careers from Albuquerque Public Schools, but I am ready to what the future will bring me. Working with children has taught me vast lessons that will be helpful as a future social worker. I will miss my students, but I have confidence that my time at Marie Hughes Elementary School has taught them that no matter the situation, there is always someone in their lives that will help them, show empathy, express positive modeling so that they will take these crucial tools into their future.
Pros
Building bonds, relationships, self-determintion, and competence with every student and staff member
Cons
Lack of support from Administration somtimes
Great school in average district
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 8, 2017
I teach at a wonderful school. Many of the schools have non-native speakers, so it's tough for those teachers, and the district requires that we teach illegals, so that can't be helpful to citizens, can it?
Albuquerque Public Schools
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 8, 2017
An educational assistant wears many hats. Besides working in classrooms with students in groups, or one on one, they usually work a before or after school duty, a lunch/recess duty, and are often called upon to substitute in a classroom due to the lack of substitutes available. While we receive comp time or time and a half, we were never given sufficient training as either substitution or educational assistants. The good thing was the professional community that was implemented within each school for support, advice, and collaboration. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the high rate of poverty, lack of parent involvement, and administration. The best part always is the kids.
Working with special needs and regular students is a great passion of mine..
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 6, 2017
I work with special needs children from 14-22 years if age in a classroom setting assisting the certified teacher. I also work with students with learning disabilities one-on-one assisting and encouraging them with their homework, assignments and overall emotional state of mind in their elective classrooms. Responsible for making sure my students eat in a timely manner during lunch and snack time. Assisted those in wheelchairs to the bathroom from the classroom.
Pros
Work ends at 2:25 pm / Great benefits / Retirement
Cons
Not enough pay.
Public school system.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 2, 2017
This is a public school system facing the same problems every public school system in the nation is facing. The teacher shortage in particular affects the substitutes.
Substitute Teacher APS (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 2, 2017
I enjoyed working as a substitute teacher at APS. It is a relaxing environment for me. I enjoyed working with the teachers, parents and most importantly the students.
Good, overall sometimes a little difficulty with the personnel
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 2, 2017
Very good expirence working with the elementary school students, they are very trained to following the class schedule and to follow directions. The experience with middle and high school was not that good.
Pros
sometimes good food not free
Cons
soetimes no brakes