Albuquerque Public Schools

Albuquerque Public Schools Employer Reviews

Helping teachers with their needs to improve children learning needs
Education assistent/ health (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMSeptember 18, 2014
Read to students, assist teachers with their teaching skills, help students with their learning needs.
excellent place
Cook IV (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMSeptember 5, 2014
Stay to myself as I do my work.
Have a great opportunity to work with others.
As a Team Player.
APS
attendance specialist (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMAugust 14, 2014
Need more work experience and something more in what I'm majoring in BA with concentration in Human Resources, Marketing, Management.
Always busy with new issues that students come to HealthOffice for
School Nurse (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMJuly 7, 2014
Pros: time off in the summer
Cons: the salary is low
I can see between 25-35 students a day. They have health issues from common colds to broken bones. I deal with many facets of mental health from anxiety disorders to bi-polar conditions.
A meaningful and welcoming place to work.
Special Ed. Educational Assistant (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMJune 24, 2014
Pros: benefits, steady schedule, reliable, understanding
Cons: negative at times, low pay
A typical day at work includes interacting with many students and other staff members in order to make sure the students have the most out of their experience in the educational setting. I have learned how to be an advocate for the students while teaching them how to also be one for themselves. It is well managed and the other staff are fun to work – more... with. The hardest part of the job is the negative environment others tend to create and spread. However the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to see the students succeed, especially after a long struggle to do so. – less
Difficult workplace
Educational Assistant (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMJune 17, 2014
I liked working with Special Education on a day to day basis, but at Volcano Vista, there seemed to be a lot of drama, and I can't afford to live on what they pay. The salary is very little because they take out about 30% of your paycheck so that you can be paid in the summer. It would help to just get another job in the summer.
The work that I did – more... in my classroom was always challenging, and even though your job is finished at 2:30 in the afternoon, I was very exhausted physically, mentally, and emotionally. – less
tough place to work if you are a detail oriented person
Construction Supervisor (Current Employee), Albuquerque NMJune 13, 2014
Pros: allowed to work around educational facilities
Cons: management does not encourage productivity
APS does not nurture individuality, creative thinking. As a matter of fact one is penalized for being to "shiny" makes everyone else look dull and non-productive.
The workmen themselves for the most part are enjoyable to be around. The perfectionist amongst them are a extreme gift to have.
The most difficult part of this job is the polities involved – more... upper management. – less
Great place to foster learning
Substitute Teacher/Educational Assistant (Current Employee), Rio Grande High SchoolMay 25, 2014
Fun and exciting place to work that gies you an opportunity to work with kids and foster growth.
Productive always busy
Educational Assistant (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 8, 2014
My work days were always busy as I assisted the teachers and helped out with the children. The management and all the staff were all very helpful and supportive. There really wasn't anything too hard about working there and the most enjoyable would be the kids as they all just touch your heart.
tough job in middle schools with little management support
Substitute teacher (Former Employee), ManyApril 3, 2014
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: no appreciation for effort put forth
Herding cats in middle schools, cake walk in High Schools
There is very little discipline in ABQ middle schools
Management is nonexistent
Really had no coworker just me and the kids
Controlling middle school class rooms
Teaching high school advance placement classes
Very productive and structured workplace, also fun environment.
Personal Assistant (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMMarch 5, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to make sure the customer was satisfied.
Secretary, Level (Former Employee), Main OfficeNovember 10, 2013
worked for 4 people plus a supervisor
learned how to work with the education process
co-workers were awesome to work with
did 3 different jobs, due to people being out for various reasons
really enjoyed the work I did
I have had job security which has good benefits, but lately the benefits have slowy been taken away. We also have not had a raise in the past 5 yrs.
Secretary/Bookkeeper (Current Employee), Freedom H.S.September 11, 2013
Pros: annual and sick leave
Cons: health care
I have thoroughy enjoyed my job but am ready for a change. APS has been through many budget cuts, therefore they continue to cut our insurance benefits. Also, the fact that we haven't received a raise in the past five years has been tough. I feel that we should receive a cost of living raise at the very least.
I loved what I did for 25 years and I wouldn't have traded traded. The reason I left is because I felt a little burned out.
Teacher (Former Employee), Albuquerque Public Schools/ otherAugust 21, 2013
Pros: being appreciated for the small things.
Cons: taken for granted, no benefits, mean personalities
I would feel productive because I did my job the best that I could. I made people / children think and question during conversations that we might of had.
The hardest part of a job to not being able to accomplish everything you want have in mind and hope to do because of time restraints.
Sometimes too many people are involved in decision making and – more... the plan doesn't work.
Finding a job that you look forward to is a good thing. – less
Cooking, Cleaning, Serving the children lunch
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee), Albuquerque,NMAugust 14, 2013
You would wash dishes, prepare breakfast and lunch for the children, and clean up after each meal.
fun place to work
Educational Assistant (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJune 20, 2013
Helping students with work they did not understand. Managment was fun and helped when help was needed. The most enjoyable part was working with students.
Good benefits, many opportunities to learn and update skills
Educational Assistant, Special Education (Current Employee), Bellehaven Elementary SchoolJune 17, 2013
The best way to describe this work is, it is very rewarding. It is also best to always be ready and expect the unexpected. When working with children and their families this is crucial because family dynamics in today's society are constantly changing and can be very tumultuous at times. I've learned to always keep an open mind and be cognizant of people's – more... cultures and ways of life. It's very important to respect others' values while brainstorming solutions to their problems, issues and needs.

Co-workers are able to maintain professional relationships even when personality conflicts arise, as they will in any work environment. I've always admired that.

The hardest part of the job is sometimes being stretched thin when we are understaffed. This leaves me feeling like I cannot give 100% to any one task at hand.

The most enjoyable part of the job is of course when the "light bulb" goes on and a child grasps a concept, or when I know I'm being a postitive influence in his or her life. – less
Followed instructions left by teacher.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMJune 1, 2013
Pros: working with children
Cons: students who did not follow the rules.
Most of the time the students behaved fine. The hardest part was when the students did not listen to me and the class was loud.

I loved it when I could help the students to learn.
A great place to work for people with families
Community Partner (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMJune 1, 2013
I really enjoy working here. It is great to be on the same schedule as my son.
Taught Mentally distrubed students. These students tried much harder to leanr than normal students
Shop and Classroom Instructor (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMApril 19, 2013
Pros: great people to work for
Cons: too many students needing help
A great place to help students in need. the school had available all the modern tecnology needed to help these students. Great support staff.