Albuquerque Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

An honor to be a civil servant...
Budget Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87125July 15, 2016
It was a rel honor to serve my state as a civil servant for APS. I can't recommend working for them enough. The atmosphere is lively, professional energetic, fair, just, and encouraging.
Pros
Professional atmosphere
Cons
None that I can think of!
Enjoyed working with staff and students both of which offered inspiration to be better..
3rd/5th grade teacher (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 5, 2016
I enjoyed teaching children. I would work with 20/24 students daily. I taught all academic subjects including some art and music. I worked collaboratively with coworkers to ensure the success of all students I worked with administration to ensure school success. I also learned a variety of software programs for the apple computer. The most enjoyable part of my job, was when someone who was not at grade level work to become better. The hardest part of the job was dealing with students whose main concern was family success rather than their educational success.
Pros
Students
Cons
Unfair evaluation process.
Albuquerque Public Schools is a family.
Interim Principal (Current Employee) –  various schoolsJuly 4, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my current job as an Interim Principal is meeting new people , the ability to experience different levels and learning about the culture of various schools. I enjoy the students, parents, staff and community and the challenges required to enter a completely new school. The chance to experience the above has invigorated and energized me. In addition, I enjoy learning the curriculum requirements of the different school levels.
Pros
Learning from practioneers in a different school..
Cons
I love the job so much that it is hard to give the school back to the building principal.
Worked with students 3rd through 5th grade
Educational Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 28, 2016
I enjoyed working with the students. I enjoyed learning each of the students personalities. The students i worked with were Autistic/Downs Syndrome
Pros
Happy work environment
Cons
N/A
work place
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 15, 2016
I really enjoy my job and the people I work with. Working for APS has been a great place to work for the past nine years. working for APS I've gotten great experience.
Lots of work little reward
Teacher of Record (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87110May 12, 2016
I think the summary says it all. If your passionate about education you can survive for a while. However the system isn't really designed to care for or support the educator.p
Pros
paid summers off
Cons
PARC and other testing
Really fun to work with students.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 29, 2016
I really enjoyed working with students. It was really fun to help students learn, and to guide them for a better future. Every child had great potentials, and they were always ready to learn.
Cons
School hours
High paced environment.
Long-Term Substitute Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 20, 2016
Thunderbird is one of the top grossing H-D locations in the US. You are expected to be at work every day (sometimes days off) and give it 100% because nothing less will be accepted. Everyone was very supportive and professional and I enjoyed working there a lot.
Substitute Teaching
Substitute Teacher Pre K-12 (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 28, 2016
Easy way to make money while in transition. I really enjoyed going to a different school every time I substitute taught. The staff at most schools were helpful and supportive. Teaching at bilingual education schools was a lot of fun.
Pros
Flexible schedule. Scheduling done online.
Cons
No healthcare
Excellent work place
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 8, 2016
From day to day I had the opportunity to assist students with special needs with their education. I learned what it means to make a difference in children's lives, what it takes to be an educator, and how to cooperate with others in the classroom. The school system was wonderful, a joy to work for, and very understanding when it came to my medical needs. I adored working in this setting and would recommend APS to anyone who is looking for a career in education.

Want to know more about Albuquerque Public Schools?

Ask a question
A great place to work
6th grade math teacher (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 9, 2016
I really enjoyed teaching in APS for the first 9 years and then the government and district added more work and less help to reach the goals set forth for teachers. Students are no longer having fun and I stopped loving my job. Testing got way out of hand and I was teaching to the test and not teaching what I knew my students needed.
Pros
love teaching
Cons
way roo much work and not enough time to teach effectively
Very large school district
High School Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 8, 2016
Lots of opportunity for advancement; supportive coworkers; supportive administration; emotionally taxing job; students appreciate teachers' dedication; class size is 30+; high school size 2000+ students.
Pros
District stays abreast of current educational trends
Cons
It is a large district
Gained a lot of experience
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 12, 2016
I worked within several SPED classes and this allowed me to gain a better perspective on creative ways in which curriculums can be created and taught.
Pros
Training made readily available
Rewarding employment
Spanish Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NNMNovember 2, 2015
Everyday you really help someone in need. Being fluent in Spanish and understanding Latin nuances is a real asset. I enjoy a challenge.
Substituting at its finest
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 30, 2015
Learned what a day in the life of a teacher (whether elementary or secondary) goes. I was afforded the chance to work with different levels. I gained public speaking confidence and active listening skills. I also learned how to alter my presentation skills based on my audience (grade level of the students).
Education Assistant
Educational Assistant in Behavioral Intervention (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 6, 2015
Assisted students with learning and retaining information. Assisted with skill building and helped to teach skills lacked.
APS is a large educational district that is committed to the academic advancement of it's students.
FMLA/Sick Leave Bank Extended Leaves Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 6, 2015
A typical day at work has much interaction between supervisors, employees, and co-workers. The day is spent assisting employees in determining the best options for maintaining their job and benefits while on a leave of absence. Federal and State laws as well as District and negotiated agreement contracts must be followed. Co-workers are dedicated, hard-working people who support the staff and students of this educational system. The hardest part of the job is telling a person in serious crises that they do not qualify for a leave of absence and their employment will be terminated. The most enjoyable part of the job is assisting people to receive all benefits available to them. Oftentimes employees will call, email, or send a card to say thank you for helping them in their time of need.
Pros
Good benefits, reliable employment
Cons
State funding determines pay increases
good school system
Registration Supervisor, Assistant to Nurse (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 31, 2015
Helped in the daily flow of the front office at an elementary school. This is where I gained the foundation of learning aspects such as general office work, multitasking, working with others and the public, was supported well by management and coworkers were wonderful to work with, the hardest part of the job was stepping into the position with little knowledge but shortly gained what I needed. I enjoyed working with the staff and students.
Pros
flexable time off
Cons
low pay scale
Political atmosphere
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 24, 2015
Working for Albuquerque Public Schools has its ups and downs. Working with students and coordinating a classroom is great. The down side is the politics; trying to complete an education at UNM, take care of a family and teach full time proved to be an overload for me. I was trying to accomplish my goals with my students while keeping on track with everything else. Since I was raised in the South Valley were I was teaching, my goal is to teach the students how to face a world outside there homes, and know how to navigate it so they can better themselves and make accomplishments they may not of dreamed of before.
Working with student
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 22, 2015
A typical day for me was seeing the little smiling faces that would come through the door. I enjoyed working with the kids watching there expressions when they learned something new. It was an amazing experience. I would not change it for the world.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Albuquerque Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Albuquerque Public Schools Reviews by Location