Alcatel Lucent Employee Reviews

Great!
Materials Handler, Clerk of Kitting Department (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXMarch 17, 2016
Great Exposure. i am able to learn from various procedures on a wide range of interesting kits. The equipment were also a great hands on opportunity to develop my instrumentation skills.
Required changes to the management style to exceed customer expectations
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILNovember 30, 2015
Alcatel Lucent was the leader in Telecom in the late 1990's. Company failed to cope up with the market changes and management styles.
Fun Workplace with interesting work
Computer System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 12, 2015
I learned so much while working in this company as this is my first professional job. Friendly work environment ans help full co-workers all the way through helped me learn everything in an easy manner
An extreamly challenging job
Communication Service installer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 28, 2015
I installed, tested and integrated 4G equipment in Northern Va.,DC and Maryland for Verizon, Sprint and AT&T. I worked with contractors to complete my tasks.
The hardest part of my job was procuring replacement parts and troubleshooting antenna issues.
Pros
I got to go home when the job was completed
Cons
Sometimes installation issues kept me there for some very long days
Challenging work culture
Solution Architect (Current Employee) –  Austin TXAugust 27, 2015
The work place gives you an opportunity to grow and learn new things. The environment is challenging and exciting to work at.
Great Company
Financial Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaAugust 4, 2015
This company is a great place to work. The only thing that i would change is their training processes. They allow you to work indepently and trust your work. I love working for this company.
Pros
great pay and team
Cons
lack of training and processes
Progressive
Sr. Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 21, 2015
Great benefits, decent salary. Great co workers and telecommuniting avaialble. Global presence. Great Company and culture.
Benefits
Productive and friendly workplace environment
LTE eNodeB Integration/Automation Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  New Providence, NJJuly 13, 2015
Alcatel-Lucent is a great company to work for. Employees are highly experienced, motivated, and result-driven. The friendly atmosphere makes it even more a place one would always like to work.

I have learned a lot about 4G/LTE network infrastructure. The integration and regression testing techniques adopted by Alcatel-Lucent gave me a thorough understanding of end-to-end performance of LTE network.

I believe the success of the company is also largely hinged it's robust and dynamic management approach. Communication between management and employees is very strong. Our managers strive very hard to ensure that we develop and deliver quality products to our customers on time and within budget. With all the pressure to deliver quality products, they are also very understanding and supportive.
Multi-national team with various styles of operation
component architect/lead developer for VoiceApps (Current Employee) –  Murray Hill, NJApril 5, 2015
The team is dispersed across the globe. France, Russia, Chennai, China and US. Very disparate cultures and modes of operation and lot of politics, not to mention language issues.

But we made it work and still produced software.

Got to work on a couple of new technologies.
Taking time off to innovate on the side was never an issue.
Pros
Taking time off to innovate on the side was never an issue.
Cons
US was among the expensive sites. We lost our location to cost cutting
easy advancement, good benifits
Installer/Technician (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILJanuary 8, 2015
Different jobsites and travel were fun. Plenty of room for advancement. Retired four years ago with a great package. Good healthcare.
Pros
paid travel, benifits
Cons
plenty of time on ladders and crawling cable racks.
Good place to learn
Project/Site Survey RF Engineer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 2, 2014
creating RFDS, conducting site walks, working on plumping diagrams on visio, uploading RFDS on Autoforms, making LTE 700 upgrades proposals ,good team work and funny place to work professional and exchange experience.will help you get more to understand the network structure and configuration types.
Pros
learning environoment
Cons
long work hours
The current focus is on competition and sustainability.
HVAC Plant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Plano,TexasSeptember 16, 2014
Ever changing dynamics and expansion of the Telecom Industry in the 1990s created a fast paced work environment. Always something new to learn and more to do.
A downturn in the Telecom Market about 1999 along with mergers created a leaner and more cautious Industry to this date.
The current focus is on competition, reliability and sustainability.
Pros
enjoy working with staff / facilities dept. good, honest people.
Cons
downturn in telecom from 1999.
Great Place to work
Machine Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJuly 15, 2014
Great place to work with excellent pay. The work place is very organized.
Nice and Friendly working environment and plenty of opportunity to learn
EMS Lead (Current Employee) –  Redmond WAJune 4, 2014
Nice and Friendly working environment and colligues are very co-operating and helpfull and plenty of opportunity to learn up coming technologies, Like LTE small cells/ Macro and Metro Cells, EMS/NMS system etc. Company is doing great in North America but over all growth is very slow if you include Europe and rest of the world which is really effecting the North American's Employees. Because company has a global policy for all Employees.
Pros
training
Cons
no increments & bonuses
Fun work place and productive
SAP HR Administrator (Former Employee) –  Madrid, MDFebruary 18, 2014
The First energy organization is a fun place to work at, the environment is very good and co-workers are very supportive. One should join this organization
Good exciting high technology management work
VP-Head Americas Wireless Professional Services (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILNovember 21, 2013
good customers, good coworkers, challenging marketplace.
Pros
smart peopel around
Cons
due to tough telecom equipment market, last 10 years have been tough
Productive work place
Data Collector (Current Employee) –  Murray Hill, NJNovember 4, 2013
• Prepare and set up a series of test on cell towers for reliable and stable use on LTE upgraded Networks.
• This includes monitoring throughput for uplink and downlink and Verifying PCI Locations. Including but not limited to finding proper SNR and RSSI Values for near cell, mid cell, and cell edge locations.
• Troubleshooting hardware for various cell sites as well as software found in testing kits. Primarily using software such as JDSU and QXDM powerful data collecting tools in which an engineer can analyze and interpret. For proper readings of trouble and weak LTE areas as well as upgrade stability. Using Samsung LTE UEs as testing hardware.
productive, good place to work
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 18, 2013
technical support, high stress every day, worked in a great team, shared our knowledge and assisted each other ,on issues
Pros
good people
Cons
heavy turnover in management
Provided remote technical support to telecommunication companies
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Westford, MAApril 18, 2013
Worked directly with telecom companies to provide direction and troubleshoot complex hardware and software issues.
Only if you are desperate
former CSI and ACST (Former Employee) –  NY and NJAugust 1, 2012
This is my second time around with the company. I had lost the job as an ACST in the 90's through no fault of my own and was laid off. Got rehired a few years ago after being laid off from another employer. Upon re-entry back into Lucent/Alcatel, found out that when laid off first time around I was entitled legally to call back rights and never was called back by the local CWA union or the company. I asked for reasons for this and have been produced with no answer. But what I did notice was that in the time frame I should have been called back to my job, my position was occupied by a new hire that brought nothing to the telecom table other than being directly related to someone on the inside already.The comapny had operated the installation division under the cover of fraud and deception for many years. Not learning from its mistakes then, it still continues to operate on this premise. If you take any of these CSI or ACST installer jobs, they are all dead end. These job groups have been slowly but surely had their "scope of work agreement" outsourced over the years. The company is about saving money being their stock was worth $1.06 during 7/2012. A good book about the company is called Optical Illusions: The rise and fall of Lucent and telecom.(true story)
So if you are looking for a temporary job with benefits this is the place but do not have any high expectations. The company will use and abuse the installation workforce. What they dont tell you about a CSI position is that it is an "at will position", which equates to a lower grade level of benefits and a pay scale that
  more... max's out @ $16.00 per hr. So when the company is doing bad, for no reason they legally will lay off all CSI's and CSI's have very minimal union protection as well.
Also i might add that chronyism and nepotism rule in this company. So if you are not blood line related to someone on the inside, you will be treated like a door mat and definitely will never progress. All the chronyism and nepotism installation folks get the preferential treatment when it comes to specialized training, overtime and job assignments. Its a fact...
I found that in my particular geographic work area of the installation division, many of my co workers have extensive criminal backgrounds, low lifes, derelicts, drug addicts, former/recently released inmates and pedophiles.
If you are a former telecom employee from another company thats higher level like AT&T/Verizon/Sprint etc or have industry leading certifications within the telecom and IT world, forget it. They aren't worth anything to this company, the certifications will not give you any type of leading edge over other employees. I met other people who even had Cisco certs and telecommunications degrees from PACE university and those things only landed them a $21.00 per hour job(ACST) and it made me even sicker to find out that ALU only let these people clean up garbage at work sites. This company determines internally who they think is worthy and competent enough to work on their gear and its a very small percentage. A majority of their installation workforce are people who have had the job the day they got out of highschool and know nothing else. Most of the work environments are toxic and even chaotic. ALU like to play games with the books and part of the games are employee paychecks. you have to watch your check every week to ensure you are getting paud what you should and definitely make sure extras like toll fares, mileage etc are not shaved off your paycheck.
You will be expected to use your personal vehicle to conduct company business and sometimes might be subjected to travel up to 300 miles per day. They only give a reimbursement of .38 cents per mile which is from a union contract from 2008 which they have been operating on extensions since then. So it doesnt matter what the IRS declares(.52 cents), ALU is legally obligated to only pay .38 cent per mile and not a dime over that. The installation division of the company defintiely does not have a good reputation. Western Electric guys would be turning in their graves if they knew how the business is being runned. The installation division of ALU is considered the "dirty and smelly arm pit" of the IT and telecom world.
GOOD LUCK.
Pros
steady 40hr work weeks
Cons
chronyism and nepotism ruin the experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alcatel Lucent. Our community is ready to answer.