Alcatel Employee Reviews in United States

Very relaxed but slow without motivation
Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 16, 2015
People there says they are pushed too much due to chaotic deadlines and many customer related issues. However they always find a way around and cut corners. Not many seem to be committed to deliver what they should do.

Some are forced to travel more, work longer hours or over the weekend if you are not part of clan while those in the clan are doing 10 to 4.

There is very little motivation left. Face it...almost decade of no salary increase. Very little amount of bonus was paid only a few times. Who would be motivated under this circumstance (Yes...I should blame me, not the company).

Management says majority of employees are eligible for retirement. I wonder how many of them are willing to take chances and break out of what they are comfortable with. They do only what they are familiar with and with limited knowledge. Many don't bother to do their own study or research but arguing and insist stubbornly.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
endless plan change, cafeteria food, quickly aging population
Strong Global Teaming Environment
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Paris, NJ, AZMarch 16, 2016
Smart people, high integrity, committed to succeed in a highly competitive industry. Global diverse workforce. Respect for employees and their contribution.
Pros
Competitive Salaries, Excellent Benefits Package, Embraces Telecommuting
Cons
Lacking in strong, visionary leadership
Very demanding and interesting place to work
Briefing center customer events manager (Current Employee) –  Calabasas, CAOctober 27, 2015
Very interesting job, a lot of autonomy, team work, possibility to learn everyday, to meet interesting people and built great relationship with customer. possibility to be creative with no constraint from the management, but as the company is not in good shape, raise are almost non existent and salary not as high as the competition. But i owe my career to this company so I've been faithful until it has been purchase by a Chinese company with completely different rules and policy. It's time to change.
Pros
Job, task, team, environment
Cons
wages
looking for new opportunity and new experience by start another journey
Integration Engineer (Former Employee) –  EMEAJanuary 24, 2016
Highly motivated person and i really like my job as an IP Network Engineer that knows how to work under pressure and dedicated for my work, and very hard worker in any condition and situation.
during the past four years i learned so many stuff related to my career because of my job position and the project that i involved through my journey. I'm good with following the management highlights and rules with excellent team work spirit.
i worked under pressure and stress for long hours and many days during my working on so many live networks that provide service for thousand of thousand of our customers clients which is for me the best part of the job when i done everything in excellent and perfect way and i can see everybody smile and happy because of my job.
No Obligation
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAFebruary 15, 2016
I do feel obligated to either give praise or negative input on my former company either before or afterwards the NOKIA merger
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
Enjoyed the employees. Very close and productive group of people
LTE/EVDO Design Tools and Templates Engineer (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILNovember 14, 2015
The work environment was warm and supportive. The people were average every-day people who managed to master advanced technical issues regularly and without complaints.
Pros
Home/work life balance
Cons
No salary increase in 5+ years
Alu
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 4, 2015
Good work/life balance, but the environment is and has been unstable for many years. The benefits and pay are good, but there is no job security.
Alcatel-Lucent
Technical Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PaDecember 9, 2015
A lot of good people working at this company.
A lot of effort to do the right thing by our customers.
There is a lot of process oriented tasks.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Transition period as Nokia purchases company
Ever since Alcatel bought Lucent Technology, and changed name to Alcatel-Lucent the new management brought the company down very fast.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Plano-TexasJune 1, 2015
Being a French owned company, and with diversified / different cultures (European / American) and senior management styles caused Alcatel-Lucent to be sold NOKIA.

Alcatel-Lucent was not a fun place to work because of sporadic layoffs and very few directions from senior management.

Great co-workers and great direct supervisors / managers.

The hardest is not knowing when you will be layoff, and trickle down information.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to be creative in keeping yourself busy.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
constant layoffs, once every month mostly in North America (New Jesey, Plano, California, once in a while Europe.
ATCA hot slide upgrade to improve the wireless swich feature and capacity
Senior Product Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 1, 2016
Do the system audit 1 week before on site to configure the database that is mirror to new hardware for upgrade
I had learned about customer equipment and their network that is how I can help customer engineer to troubleshoot the issue.
I had managed my working time to be able to work in the day time and night time
Create scripts for SS7 cut over testing.
On the cut night I have to be on site to perform the cut over. The hardest part of the job is to cut over within six hours maintenance window and meet the customer schedule.
The most enjoyable part of this job is to successful cut over and meet customer satisfaction.
Pros
Be independent, responsible, and reliable
Cons
could not balance between work and family due to 75% travelling
Middle mnagement is running the company into the ground
Technical Project Manager (VCoIP/IMS) (Former Employee) –  South Florida, FLDecember 9, 2015
There is a lack of talent middle managers --within my organization, at least. They are self serving and worried only about their won advancement.

The do not follow proven successful processes that have been put in place from extensive trials and lessons learned and change procedures for their own gain and exposure.

They drive away talented employees to surround themselves with "yes men" --again for their won gain
Pros
Work at home --virtual office
Cons
Poor management
daily routine for Alcatel-Lucent
Central Office Installer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 29, 2016
Report to central office . Review days work schedule, safety meeting,move tools and materials to work area, perform installation of cabling, iron work, or equipment bays. Test equipment, test cabling, prepare for next day's installation. Site surveys for fiber runs,etc. Installation work is satisfying in the accomplishment. A team effort is always appreciated. Management was reasonable supportive, There was always something to learn. Being part of a productive team was most enjoyable.
Creative and work driven environment yet fun
Network Service Analyst (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 27, 2016
A typical day at work consists of daily updates and team meetings where we discuss the daily activities and task. My co-workers are very friendly and supportive. The management is very thoughtful of our feedbacks and is open to help its employees overcome the challenges at work. Most of the work that we do consists of working as a team and being responsible for the parts that we are assigned to. We all take it very seriously and we get constant feedback on how the task went. It is a very fun place to work at.
Great people who are experts in their fields.
Sr Director, Operations (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 6, 2016
Highly resilient workforce with undaunting commitment to serve customers and be the leader in B2B networking technology.

Difficult to advance (financially & career) due to numerous reorganizations and struggles to become profitable.
Pros
people and exposure to cutting edge thinking
Cons
pay and stress of survival
Used to be a great place - Future is unclear
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILMay 15, 2015
This used to be one of the greatest companies in America coming from the legacy of AT&T and Lucent Technologies. The company lost it's way around 1999 when they lost sight of the fast-growing Optical market. Wireless was still going strong for a few more years, but, it became overly commoditized around 2012.

Meanwhile, the Alcatel and Lucent merger was closed but never properly synergized considering all of the assets that the two companies contained. They went through a number of years of CEO promises with a merry-go-round of leaders for the various groups.

Now they've been purchased by Nokia. The future success of this company is based on two things: 1) Can Nokia control the half-witted, overly confident leaders that remain with ALU who have been unsuccessful in achieving in the marketplace while driving any decent talent out ofthe company and 2) can they compile a group of true leaders who can get out into the marketplace and win back some customer respect and loyalty.
Pros
Stable, decent benefits, multi-national
Cons
Uncertain future with Nokia purchase, lacks marketplace leadership
Self motivated, self sufficient, highly dependable worker
System Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHNovember 27, 2015
I have truly enjoyed working at my current employer but there has not been very many job placement opportunities and the fear of job lost has been too high the last few years. I enjoy my current management team and fellow coworkers.

On a day to day basis, I'm working closely with product management , supply chain engineers, and production workers to ensure customer orders are correct and properly tested and verified that all hardware and software is in-cooperated together before being integrated into the customer network.

I manage several different product platform for documentation, hardware testing, software reliability and stability, tester training, quality assurance and reporting.
Constant trouble shooting skills requires
Associate Communication Service Installer (Current Employee) –  Various locationsAugust 8, 2015
I worked in various locations installing, integrating, troubleshooting and maintaining telecommunication equipment at customer sites.
Pros
Good pay, Good benifits
Cons
Extensive travel is required.
Top tier Telecommunications provider
Senior Product Engineer / Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 8, 2015
Great place to work, great benefits, very good work-life balance culture. The work environment is challenging as well as interesting and rewarding.
Productive and fun work place.
Software Integration Engineer (Current Employee) –  Naperville, IllnoisJuly 1, 2015
Bell Laboratories was a great place to work. Many challenging projects to choose from over the years. When i first started the work week was 37 hours. Many, many oportuniites to new and challenging assignments.
Pros
Good Benefits, Challenging Assignments, Travel
Cons
Too much downsizing over the last 15 years
Good engineers but struggling company
Director Product Management (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 20, 2015
Alcatel-Lucent has wealth of engineering resources. Most of the employees are very talented and knowledgeable.

Company needs to shrink in size and modernize to stay competitive. Company is too top heavy. Company also needs to hire younger work force.
Pros
Flexible working hours, working from home
Cons
Long hours, lack of growth