ALCO Stores, Inc.

ALCO Stores, Inc. Employer Reviews

No way to advance in job.
Warehouse Employee (Former Employee), Abilene, KSFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: co-workers
Cons: untrained team leaders
A typical day at work was always stressful as you did not know what department you would end up working. The jobs were always stressful, because some team leaders, assistants and management had no idea of what it took to complete jobs in their own departments.
There were no opportunities for advancement unless you were willing to take a $2-$3 per hour pay cut, along with a 90-day evaluation period. This made it virtually impossible for anyone to advance unless money was not a consideration.
The most enjoyable part of working at ALCO was your co-workers. They understood what was necessary to get the jobs done, and in working alongside each other you could always make it through the day.
Was a great place to work
Assistant Store Manger (Current Employee), Winnsboro, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Would have been a great place to work when I got older but the powers that be ruined the company for all of us
No Longer in Business
CATEGORY MANAGER/BUYER (Former Employee), Abilene, KSJanuary 6, 2015
Alco was a great place to work in the small town of Abilene, Kansas. The stores were varied across the United States competing with Dollar General etc.
Cashier/stock associate (Current Employee), Burlington, COJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: it was a family environment.
Cons: no benefits, no cross training.
Management was always willing to work with my doctor appointments as I was just ending my chemo/radiation treatments for cancer. A typical day consisted of answering the phone, greeting customers, using the intercom for a member of management for price checks, overrides or general customer service. I loved seeing all the different people coming through my line. They consisted of truck drivers, city folk, farm folk, bus riders to and from Denver and travelers who had stopped just because.
Was a great place to work.
Store Manager (Current Employee), North Platte, NEDecember 9, 2014
Managing an Alco store, and even managing two Alco stores... has been a good ride. Unfortunately Alco is being liquidated.
Great Company
Store Manager (Current Employee), Phillipsburg, KSNovember 20, 2014
Pros: promoting my peers amazing
Cons: not enough turns to remain open
The Company is closing down, But this company has some great people and very dedicated. I enjoyed all my peers also my Dm's had several they were all top talent. I'm a hands on Manager and this company let me focus on what I love the customers and merchandising.
And that is that!
Store Manager (Current Employee), Pawhuska, OKNovember 19, 2014
This job was a challenge. Fix a broken store in a town that needed the store to survive. I learned how to change an entire communities view of a store that use to miss treat them. I enjoyed my staff.
do not wish to comment
Store Manager (Current Employee), Orange City, IANovember 18, 2014
I have worked for ALCO for almost 15 years, overall one of the best jobs I ever had
Outlook Grim
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Current Employee), Coppell, TXNovember 10, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers and manager
Cons: impending sense of doom.
Filed bankruptcy on October 12, bidding for take-over or liquidation closes on November 17
Like a family, has a few issues but they get worked out
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Hillsboro, ILOctober 27, 2014
Typical day at work was going in for a 6 hour shift, so it wasn't long enough for a lunch, but you did get a 15 minute break. On your shift its mostly stocking or restocking shelves, keeping things recovered (items pulled forward), and making sure Returned items are returned to their designated spots. The management at the store that I worked at was nice, very accommodating though had some issues themselves.
Customer Service
Computer Operations Manager (Current Employee), Abilene, KSOctober 27, 2014
Pros: dedicated, hard working, fast learner
Cons: usually i don't take breaks
My typical day is doing customer service for office, warehouse and any questions that my help desk needs assistance with. I cover the depot and make sure I have enough hardware to keep our 198 stores up and running.
Lively, fast paced, and productive
Licensing Associate (Current Employee), Coppell, TXOctober 21, 2014
Pros: promotes within
Co-workers are friendly and management is always there to help. A really great company to work for.
Liked working with my co-workers
Accounts Payables Representative (Current Employee), Coppell, TxOctober 16, 2014
I like that they had flexible schedules for employees, they offered sample sale to their employees at a discounted price.
Ex-employee
Softlines Group Managers (Former Employee), Kermit TexasSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: customers and co-workers
Cons: being short handed, being taken advantage of, under paid.
I worked for Alco for almost 6 years. I was made Soft lines Group manager a month after I was hired. I have had 5 Store Managers. For the last 6 months I have been acting Store Manager and SL Manager. Needless to say SL got neglected. The store had a mice infestation that was left for me to clean up. We get a new District Manager who does come in and gets us some help. He does not thank the other Group Managers or myself for running his store short handed and without a Store Manager. I quit not only because of the stress but because of upper management being ungrateful to the people who keeps the store running.
The 3 stars is because I loved my job just didn't like how we were treated by upper management.
Is a good place work
Maintenance supervisor/Asst.Team Leader (Current Employee), Coppell, TXSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: will work with family problems
Cons: good health plan
They have been good to me .if things were better I would stay.
easy going
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee), Watford City, NDAugust 20, 2014
very nice and easy going place to work. the other cashiers were very friendly and we all had a great time working.

good management
Great concept, very poor performance
District Manager (Former Employee), Utah areaJuly 27, 2014
I worked for Alco for 3 years as a district manager. During those years, I traveled extensively as stores were 2 to 5 hours apart from each other. Quality of life was poor, I received NO raise in three years or a bonus. Stores were hard to staff for General managers, shrink was high and it was a challenge everyday.
Alco Store
Store Manager (Current Employee), Coppell, TXJuly 17, 2014
Responsibilities: Store manager engaging in leadership of employee hiring, training, task delegation, merchandise ordering, direct to store receiving, profit and loss management, store operations, departmental sets, seasonal sets, loss prevention, customer service, visual merchandising, maintaining over three million in sale plus.
Poor Management
Cashier (Former Employee), Larned, KSApril 14, 2014
Pros: employee discounts
Cons: management was not great
The job itself I enjoyed there were promises of better/more hours if I quit my second job and they did not follow through. The co-workers and I got along great.
Worst job i've had
cashier (Former Employee), Devine, TxApril 12, 2014
Pros: some of my co workers
Cons: pay; no benefits except a little 10% discount; management
Took forever to get a response after applying then took forever to start working after I got hired. Long hiring process all done by email/online from manager & company. Drama in work place. Stuck working closing. Worst assistant manager who is childish & lazy & favors some.