ALCO Stores, Inc.

ALCO Stores, Inc. Employer Reviews

Ex-employee
Softlines Group Managers (Former Employee), Kermit TexasSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: customers and co-workers
Cons: being short handed, being taken advantage of, under paid.
I worked for Alco for almost 6 years. I was made Soft lines Group manager a month after I was hired. I have had 5 Store Managers. For the last 6 months I have been acting Store Manager and SL Manager. Needless to say SL got neglected. The store had a mice infestation that was left for me to clean up. We get a new District Manager who does come in and – more... gets us some help. He does not thank the other Group Managers or myself for running his store short handed and without a Store Manager. I quit not only because of the stress but because of upper management being ungrateful to the people who keeps the store running.
The 3 stars is because I loved my job just didn't like how we were treated by upper management. – less
Is a good place work
Maintenance supervisor/Asst.Team Leader (Current Employee), Coppell, TXSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: will work with family problems
Cons: good health plan
They have been good to me .if things were better I would stay.
easy going
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee), Watford City, NDAugust 20, 2014
very nice and easy going place to work. the other cashiers were very friendly and we all had a great time working.

good management
Alco Store
Store Manager (Current Employee), Coppell, TXJuly 17, 2014
Responsibilities: Store manager engaging in leadership of employee hiring, training, task delegation, merchandise ordering, direct to store receiving, profit and loss management, store operations, departmental sets, seasonal sets, loss prevention, customer service, visual merchandising, maintaining over three million in sale plus.
Poor Management
Cashier (Former Employee), Larned, KSApril 14, 2014
Pros: employee discounts
Cons: management was not great
The job itself I enjoyed there were promises of better/more hours if I quit my second job and they did not follow through. The co-workers and I got along great.
Worst job i've had
cashier (Former Employee), Devine, TxApril 12, 2014
Pros: some of my co workers
Cons: pay; no benefits except a little 10% discount; management
Took forever to get a response after applying then took forever to start working after I got hired. Long hiring process all done by email/online from manager & company. Drama in work place. Stuck working closing. Worst assistant manager who is childish & lazy & favors some.
Productive, Very flexible
Stock, Cashier (Former Employee), Delphos, OHMarch 9, 2014
Pros: decent high school pay, hard work provides much enjoyment
Day included cashiering, stocking, clean-up, and other misc tasks. I learned a great deal about teamwork and the rewarding feeling of completing a task well before it was due. Management was great at the store level and the coworkers were easy to get along with. They worked around my schedule fairly easily and I turned around and came in if they needed – more... someone else if someone called in or had extra hours. The hardest part was trying to understand why corporate would make some decisions without much thought and therefore cost many people their jobs. Most enjoyable part would be the family like atmosphere we provided for ourselves and our customers. – less
worst job i've ever had
former employee (Former Employee), abilene, ksJanuary 23, 2014
Cons: bad management
The only good thing about that place were the coworkers. Management was treating employees very poorly. Store manager never praised anyone and he gave horrible raises to everyone. No bonuses or benefits whatsoever. Horrible company to work for.
Learned new skills and was eposed to new industires on this job
Buyer -Electronics (Former Employee), Abilene, KSJanuary 6, 2014
wide and varied responsabilities. had to wear multiple hats at all times. enjoyed the challenge.
Shiping and Reciving
Shipping and Reciving (Former Employee), Abilene, KSSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: not overly on the hours
Cons: but not a lot pay
Unload approximately two Store trucks a week! Plus ups and then we also have other trucks that deliver. Paper work logging in what came in what was shipped out, Finding the order ticket with the barcodes and sku, then have to price every thing and set it in it proper location in the whs for if its sale ad item or just general every day merchandise. – more... then we have to take it to the floor and stock shelves set up displays ect. – less
This was a fun place to work untill new managemnet came in.
Inventory Planner (Former Employee), Abilene, KansasSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: the people they cared about you and your job
Cons: medical ins, no raises.
Learned alot about the import business, learned how to allocate AD product, learned a lot from working with buyers and vendors. We had a great team in our dept. everyone was always will to help when someone was overloaded. Trying to work and buy for AD 's was the biggest challenge always changing what was going to be in the AD. Staying on budget and – more... keeping stores in stock was very difficult . – less
Unstable and floundering
Corporate Accountant Abilene, Kansas (Former Employee), Abilene, KSMay 10, 2013
This company is making many decisions that are not suitable to the company's success.
Customer Oriented Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Larned, KSApril 22, 2013
Pros: store discount
Cons: short breaks, few bathroom breaks, benifits, wages
A typical workday was filled with restocking shelves checking out customers and multitasking. Management in this particular store was lacking, making promises to employees and not following through. My relationship with co-workers was a comradery and friendship. The hardest part of this job was the long hours on my feet. I enjoyed this job.
Was fun and enjoyable but then became a JOKE!!!!!
Store Manager (Former Employee), MinnesotaJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: 40 to 50 hours a week wasn't to bad, my training store in hartford, indiana training was good learned what i needed to know.
Cons: group managers would lie or start drama, got into my own store in minnesota and had to hire another 10 people as they were short handed, my district manager was a lady who wasn't helpful at all didn't care about me.
Years back I went to a job interview in Indiana for Store Manager in Training. I was young in my early 20's coming from retail management background. I was young, cocky and naive looking for a big shot position. Long story short got the job I was in training out in Indiana for about 3 months. Went to a week of corporate office training in Abilene, Kansas. – more... I was part of a group of other manager trainees. We were all young so we got to relate to one another. Went drinking at the bar every night and during the day had those boring corporate training classes fun times. During my last two weeks in Indiana I helped out a store will say near Amish people. This store was so bad I would of just closed it by now. Anyhow got my own store in Minnesota and the rest is history. I was placed in a poor store that needed real big help. I hired almost a brand new team. My group managers were the reason that the store was poor and I ended up leaving the company. "Don't work for this company in Store Management". As a Store Manager u will not last more than a year just like any other discount retailer. It’s not a career it’s just a job here to get ur feet wet before you start a career with someone else. – less

March 17, 2013

Yes, I know what you mean. I was too hired and joined the Store Manager Training Program. I could have met you as it's been years since I worked for this company. Working in the small towns isn't that much fun as everyone is part of some big family or with all the gossip everyone knows everyone’s business. I was seen drinking in the local bar where I was a Manager and everyone talked about it. Like I was some kind of alcoholic. First thing I only went out once a week and second thing is 80% of that town was alcoholics. I will tell you and others that ALCO will hire young bucks with college or 3 or more year’s experience. Most of them will not see over a year so about 85% of them will be fired or pushed out of the company by quitting. The 10% or so that see more than a year are placed in the better stores. They have about 260 stores or so and only about 30 of them are an "A+" store....

Great place to work!
Group Manager (Former Employee), Sisseton, SDJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: friendly people, flexible hours, free food sometimes, individual b-day parties, going away parties, pot-lucks
Cons: unloading truck, getting stuck on registers
I worked for Alco for 4 years. During my last 4 months there, I was promoted to Group Manger for the Hardlines Department. There is always something to do there, we always got stuff accomplished. Sometimes we were short staffed but we pulled through. Everyone was family and treated with respect. If we got new employees, they always felt at home right – more... away because we would do our best to keep them comfortable.
My co-workers were the best along with the customers. Our store was in a somewhat small town, but with regular customers, we built friendships from this store.
Of course, the only hard part about the job is unloading truck and trying to figure where to put everything after the stockroom is full.
But, everyday...there is something new going on and the customers make everything fun. We always go out of our way to find the products our customers needed that were on sale or something that they needed right away, but couldn't find it themselves. – less