ALCO Stores, Inc.

ALCO Stores, Inc. Employer Reviews

Poor Management
Cashier (Former Employee), Larned, KSApril 14, 2014
Pros: employee discounts
Cons: management was not great
The job itself I enjoyed there were promises of better/more hours if I quit my second job and they did not follow through. The co-workers and I got along great.
Worst job i've had
cashier (Former Employee), Devine, TxApril 12, 2014
Pros: some of my co workers
Cons: pay; no benefits except a little 10% discount; management
Took forever to get a response after applying then took forever to start working after I got hired. Long hiring process all done by email/online from manager & company. Drama in work place. Stuck working closing. Worst assistant manager who is childish & lazy & favors some.
Productive, Very flexible
Stock, Cashier (Former Employee), Delphos, OHMarch 9, 2014
Pros: decent high school pay, hard work provides much enjoyment
Day included cashiering, stocking, clean-up, and other misc tasks. I learned a great deal about teamwork and the rewarding feeling of completing a task well before it was due. Management was great at the store level and the coworkers were easy to get along with. They worked around my schedule fairly easily and I turned around and came in if they needed – more... someone else if someone called in or had extra hours. The hardest part was trying to understand why corporate would make some decisions without much thought and therefore cost many people their jobs. Most enjoyable part would be the family like atmosphere we provided for ourselves and our customers. – less
worst job i've ever had
former employee (Former Employee), abilene, ksJanuary 23, 2014
Cons: bad management
The only good thing about that place were the coworkers. Management was treating employees very poorly. Store manager never praised anyone and he gave horrible raises to everyone. No bonuses or benefits whatsoever. Horrible company to work for.
Learned new skills and was eposed to new industires on this job
Buyer -Electronics (Former Employee), Abilene, KSJanuary 6, 2014
wide and varied responsabilities. had to wear multiple hats at all times. enjoyed the challenge.
Shiping and Reciving
Shipping and Reciving (Former Employee), Abilene, KSSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: not overly on the hours
Cons: but not a lot pay
Unload approximately two Store trucks a week! Plus ups and then we also have other trucks that deliver. Paper work logging in what came in what was shipped out, Finding the order ticket with the barcodes and sku, then have to price every thing and set it in it proper location in the whs for if its sale ad item or just general every day merchandise. – more... then we have to take it to the floor and stock shelves set up displays ect. – less
This was a fun place to work untill new managemnet came in.
Inventory Planner (Former Employee), Abilene, KansasSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: the people they cared about you and your job
Cons: medical ins, no raises.
Learned alot about the import business, learned how to allocate AD product, learned a lot from working with buyers and vendors. We had a great team in our dept. everyone was always will to help when someone was overloaded. Trying to work and buy for AD 's was the biggest challenge always changing what was going to be in the AD. Staying on budget and – more... keeping stores in stock was very difficult . – less
Unstable and floundering
Corporate Accountant Abilene, Kansas (Former Employee), Abilene, KSMay 10, 2013
This company is making many decisions that are not suitable to the company's success.
Customer Oriented Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Larned, KSApril 22, 2013
Pros: store discount
Cons: short breaks, few bathroom breaks, benifits, wages
A typical workday was filled with restocking shelves checking out customers and multitasking. Management in this particular store was lacking, making promises to employees and not following through. My relationship with co-workers was a comradery and friendship. The hardest part of this job was the long hours on my feet. I enjoyed this job.
Great place to work!
Group Manager (Former Employee), Sisseton, SDJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: friendly people, flexible hours, free food sometimes, individual b-day parties, going away parties, pot-lucks
Cons: unloading truck, getting stuck on registers
I worked for Alco for 4 years. During my last 4 months there, I was promoted to Group Manger for the Hardlines Department. There is always something to do there, we always got stuff accomplished. Sometimes we were short staffed but we pulled through. Everyone was family and treated with respect. If we got new employees, they always felt at home right – more... away because we would do our best to keep them comfortable.
My co-workers were the best along with the customers. Our store was in a somewhat small town, but with regular customers, we built friendships from this store.
Of course, the only hard part about the job is unloading truck and trying to figure where to put everything after the stockroom is full.
But, everyday...there is something new going on and the customers make everything fun. We always go out of our way to find the products our customers needed that were on sale or something that they needed right away, but couldn't find it themselves. – less