ALCO

ALCO Employer Reviews

This was an excellent employer.
Regional Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee), Abilene, KSMarch 14, 2015
Pros: Great corporate culture.
Cons: None.
Alco was an excellent employer, and a great place to work. I'd still be there today if they were still in business! They no longer exist.
Alco Review
SOFT LINES MANAGER (Former Employee), Cresco, IAMarch 11, 2015
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: the pay wasn't very good.
It was a great work environment. I got along great with my coworkers and enjoyed doing my daily tasks. I learned a lot of new skills and I'm glad I had the opportunity to work there. I'm sad that the company had to close its doors.
An enjoyable place to work.
Asst.Superviser (Former Employee), Abilene, KSMarch 10, 2015
Pros: 10% discount at stores, earned 1 week of sick leave and up to 4 weeks of vacation.
Cons: supervisors stayed for a long time so chances to move up were limited.
We had certain stores we picked each day so the workers would come in and start the picking process. I would get the documents ready for them and then enter the information from the previous day into the correct computer files. I would then do quality checks and move from that to checking the incoming merchandise for the correct styles prices and quality. After everything was confirmed I helped the secretary with entering the orders into the computer. I had a great group of ladies that worked for me and I enjoyed my job. The management at the warehouse were very good to work with and we all became like family. The hardest part of my job was the occasional times we would have to let someone go and when they called us all to the break room to tell us the company was closing.
Good life work balance
Store Manager (Former Employee), Grand Prairie, TXMarch 5, 2015
Job was typical retail job. Company decent to work with. The customers were most enjoyable part of my job. The hardest part of job was not receiving product for ads. Ads were done at least four weeks out buyers still did not supply enough product to support the ad.
A challenging experience
Store Manager (Former Employee), Grafton, NDFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: friendly community and supportive store management team.
Cons: poor upper management decisions
Alco is no longer in business. It was a great yet challenging place to work. Corporate would tend to overwhelm stores with tasks. Some stores were severely understaffed impacting customer service and the completion tasks.
great job
Cashier, Department manager (Former Employee), Winamac, INFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: love the costumers and the pay
Cons: the company wasn't great
great place to work and love the people .Great pay,love the costumers.i was a cashier when starting out then move to managment
No way to advance in job.
Warehouse Employee (Former Employee), Abilene, KSFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: co-workers
Cons: untrained team leaders
A typical day at work was always stressful as you did not know what department you would end up working. The jobs were always stressful, because some team leaders, assistants and management had no idea of what it took to complete jobs in their own departments.
There were no opportunities for advancement unless you were willing to take a $2-$3 per hour pay cut, along with a 90-day evaluation period. This made it virtually impossible for anyone to advance unless money was not a consideration.
The most enjoyable part of working at ALCO was your co-workers. They understood what was necessary to get the jobs done, and in working alongside each other you could always make it through the day.
Fun times
Customer Service (Former Employee), Clarinda, IAFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: part time or full time
I worked as a cashier. Taking care of customers and using a cash register. The most enjoyable part of the job was the unloading of the trucks.
Productive and fun working place
Cashier (Former Employee), Lisbon NDFebruary 3, 2015
I enjoyed working with the people i worked with. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with people and communication.
not much advancement
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Greenville, ILJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: great work enviroment
Cons: no advancement opportunities
Since this was a really small store there was only about 7 of us that worked there. I was a really hard worker there and got a lot of work done in short amounts of time. I liked that I didn't have my bosses breathing down my neck all the time, and I could just do what needed to be done. I helped unload our shipments, sort through the items, and then when truck was done we would start unloading it onto the sales floor in the assigned department. I was a cashier often which means I answered phones, did paperwork, handled customers, and the registers. I did a lot of cleaning and organizing of the merchandise on the sales floor and the stock room. I really enjoyed being busy and working hard for this company. The only downfall was that since there was only 7 people here there wasn't much room for advancement in the company.
Was a great place to work
Assistant Store Manger (Current Employee), Winnsboro, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Would have been a great place to work when I got older but the powers that be ruined the company for all of us
going out of buisness
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Gibson City, ILJanuary 20, 2015
decent job, stressful atmosphere considering that we are going out of buisness. poor people skills on the part of management. poor customer service policies, part of which added to our condition of going out buisness. cleaning procedures are almost impossible to complete due to lack of supplies or tools. no product in stock that customers even want. short staffed all the time.
same as previous
group manager (Former Employee), Sonora, TXJanuary 7, 2015
very nice place to work for good ,management and excellent training
smells delicous
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Cheraw, SCJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: free lunches at first
Cons: not enough pay
wash hands prepare subs greeting customers cleaning making sure it is a good clean place. operating the cash register phone
No Longer in Business
CATEGORY MANAGER/BUYER (Former Employee), Abilene, KSJanuary 6, 2015
Alco was a great place to work in the small town of Abilene, Kansas. The stores were varied across the United States competing with Dollar General etc.
Cashier/stock associate (Current Employee), Burlington, COJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: it was a family environment.
Cons: no benefits, no cross training.
Management was always willing to work with my doctor appointments as I was just ending my chemo/radiation treatments for cancer. A typical day consisted of answering the phone, greeting customers, using the intercom for a member of management for price checks, overrides or general customer service. I loved seeing all the different people coming through my line. They consisted of truck drivers, city folk, farm folk, bus riders to and from Denver and travelers who had stopped just because.
Was a great place to work.
Store Manager (Current Employee), North Platte, NEDecember 9, 2014
Managing an Alco store, and even managing two Alco stores... has been a good ride. Unfortunately Alco is being liquidated.
Fun decent place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ste. Genevieve, MODecember 4, 2014
Pros: great group of people to work with
Cons: no health insurance, going out of business
Typical day at work would be running the cash register and providing great customer service to the customers.
Alco
Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee), Ulysses, KSDecember 2, 2014
very boring place to work and not a lot of variety when it comes to shopping, i wouldnt ever step foot back in this place again
A great place to work with people that I call my family. We are hard working and try to provide the best customer service possible.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Trinity, TXNovember 23, 2014
Pros: i loved that job and i will miss my alco family terribly.
Cons: customers putting items everywhere in the store where they don't belong and thieves.
Since going to court Nov. 17 for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy due to Corporate Mismanagement, the sales have sky rocketed through the roof the first day of liquidation. The people of the community are very sad that ALCO is closing after 15 years of being in our small town. A typical day at work begins with recovery, cleaning, customer service, stocking shelves, and preparing for the Dec. 11 Inventory. I learned about the Alcohol restrictions and currently have a license which ALCO paid for all eligible employees. My co-workers are like family and we have each other's back. The hardest part of the job is trying to please every customer because no matter how hard you try, some customers are just not satisfied regardless. Some things were out of our control like Corporate not sending enough freight to stock our shelves with items that were in the ads. Seasonal items were not plentiful like heaters, bathing suits, fire logs, etc...The most enjoyable part of the job is at the end of the year, the store manager gave us a Christmas party and we exchanged gifts. We also had a Christmas tree decorating contest which our store won for our District. On Mother's Day and Father's Day we had demonstrations on how to tie a scarf, gift sets, and one of our employees dressed up as Santa Claus last year and provided the Christmas spirit for the kids. Our Management works closely together and if anyone needs help or doesn't feel well that day, we are glad to pick up the slack.

1 2 3 4 5