ALCO

ALCO Employee Reviews

Fun place to work, but poor management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Alpine, TXJuly 15, 2015
My job location was in a small town, so I really enjoyed being able to get to know my customers and make helping them out more enjoyable. My co-workers were all amazing people, I made strong friendships because of this place. But the store itself was poorly kept up, and I felt because management was poor and couldn't set their priorities and get what was needed done first.
Relaxed place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Emory, TXJuly 3, 2015
A typical day at work was relaxed but had it moments of being busy. One time our power went out so we had to ring people up through a paper and a calculator. My co workers were great because they tried to get to know me and were open minded. The hardest part of my job was pleasing my manager because some days she would come in unhappy.
n/a
Store Manager (Former Employee), Buena Vista, COJune 30, 2015
Out of business. Bankruptcy within a year of when I started. Poor decisions in leadership. Very disappointing but worth the experience.
Great accounting and management experience
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), coppell TxJune 9, 2015
Totally great working experience and team work. Great people and managers. Wonderful accounting experience and working with many ways to handle business and save company money as well.
Productive and fast paced place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Delphos, OHJune 9, 2015
Cons: closing of business
A typical work day at Alco was getting the days job to do list, ringing up costumer purchases, helping customers get what they are looking for, restocking and straightening products, folding and rehanging clothing, keeping the facility clean and organized, customer service.
Great mangagement when I was there. Great coworkers.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Andrewsm TXMay 28, 2015
Pros: Good coworkers, good work environment.
Cons: Upper company magagement not supportive enough of local store.
I did enjoy my time at Alco Fuel Center. The job gave me the opportunity to give great service to my customers, whom I found pleasure in serving. It was a job I had never experienced before and I learned a lot working there. I had a great immediate Supervisor and a Great Boss. They worked well with me on my schedule.
Fun paced environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Pine River, MNMay 23, 2015
Was a fun place to work, Management was always available and was there if needed. Took care of customers and helped the, the best that we could and tried to make it a better overall easy to get around store.
Daily Life at ALCO
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Ste. Genevieve, MOMay 19, 2015
Pros: getting to help customers and meet new people
Cons: No insurance, no benefits, low pay, weak raises
A typical day at work at Alco was having your mindset that you were already in trouble for either something or nothing whether you did it or not. At Alco, I learned how to provide good customer service, planograms, faxing and ordering supplies and product. Some of the co-workers were okay the others involved drama. Management was very poor. Our store manager was very rude who would yell at you for everything whether you did a good job or not. There was never a "thank you" or "good job" when you did something praise worthy. Other department managers were either lazy and did not know or want to do their job. Majority of the time the lower associates did the managers job such as reading emails, calling other stores for product trade, sitting in conference calls, helping and dealing with angry customers rather than managers coming down to deal with them. The hardest part of the job was keeping a positive attitude and not letting what the customers or the staff had to say effect the way you work. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to help the Shop with a Cop officers help find younger children toys and seeing the joy.
Fue el comienzo de mi experiencia laboral, la escuela de mis conocimeintos profesionales
Recepcionista, Sec Ejecutiva, Asist Contabilidad (Former Employee), Canóvanas PRMay 5, 2015
Pros: Gran oportunidad de conocimientos y crecimiento
Cons: Tener que retirarme para mejor remuneración
Tuve en los 15 de años de servicio un desarrollo consecuente en cada una de las pocisiones ejecutadas, sobrepasando las espectativas de desempeño. Excelentes compañeros de trabajo. La oportunidad de reclutar y adiestrar. La parte dificil fue que con el tiempo de mucho trabajo y esfuerzo, ver llegar con mejores beneficios y salarios a personas que yo misma adiestré y recluté. Obviamente entendiendo que el salario mínimo federal aumentó considerablemente en ese tiempo. La parte agradable es que mi trabajo fue siempre reconocido y fui referida para mejores oportunidades de empleo.
I enjoyed and learned so much working at ALCO.
IT Project Manger/Payment Specialist (Former Employee), Abilene, KSApril 28, 2015
This company was a very family oriented and gave its employees a chance to advance within from experience and achievements. Unfortunately this changed once money became number one and the board chose to put people in charge who were not familiar with our company concept of small town commerce.
I worked in the ever changing and always putting our fires department of IT and I LOVED it. I learned so much from networking, working on PCs, programming to working on all area programs, including managing credit cards (MC, VISA, DISC, AMEX, SNAP/EBT, third party gift cards and internal gift cards), fuel centers, BOGO events (we used these for more than just BOGOs) and helping with every aspect of the retail business.
Enjoyed my job
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee), Abilene, KSApril 20, 2015
My typical day at work started at 7:30AM until 4:30 PM
I got along well with all management and supervisor as well as my co
workers. Most enjoyable part of my job was communicating with store managers.
It was my first job and I enjoyed working there.
Cashier (Former Employee), South Hutchinson, KSApril 16, 2015
I was the cashier. I would get to work and relieve the last person. I did that until 8 pm when they closed. I would also clean the front end when I had no costumers in my line. I would also on Fridays restock the candy shelves. I would move everything forward, and put stuff back into the right places. I learned how to count money backwards.
Poor Communitcation and Poor Teamwork
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Cresco, IAMarch 27, 2015
Alco was a very low self-esteem employer to work for. There was very minimum teamwork, poor communication skills, and I felt that there were a lot of favorites chosen by manager and co-workers.
If you keep up with your work it is a fun place to work.
Operations Manager/Group Manager (Former Employee), Ligonier, INMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: benefits
A typical day has you ALWAYS greeting customers, facing, working the truck and back stock. You always have new plan-o-grams or end caps to set. I had a good selection of employees they all had their strong points. Some worked hard, some used there brain more, some had the gift of gab and that goes a long way with customers. The hardest part about the job was they were always changing things around. No sooner did you get things set up just right and they (corp.) want you to change it again. The most enjoyable part of the job was our contest to keep up sales.
fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee), coppellMarch 18, 2015
Alco is a good place to work you have plenty of home time. plenty of room to improve. Alco also has plenty of room to move up and teach others how to move up..
Excellent place to work
Customer Service and Cashier (Former Employee), Russell, KSMarch 17, 2015
I had fun working at this job. The lady's I worked with were excellent to work with. We all worked very well together as a team to meet the needs of our customer.
This was an excellent employer.
Regional Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee), Abilene, KSMarch 14, 2015
Pros: Great corporate culture.
Cons: None.
Alco was an excellent employer, and a great place to work. I'd still be there today if they were still in business! They no longer exist.
Alco Review
SOFT LINES MANAGER (Former Employee), Cresco, IAMarch 11, 2015
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: the pay wasn't very good.
It was a great work environment. I got along great with my coworkers and enjoyed doing my daily tasks. I learned a lot of new skills and I'm glad I had the opportunity to work there. I'm sad that the company had to close its doors.
An enjoyable place to work.
Asst.Superviser (Former Employee), Abilene, KSMarch 10, 2015
Pros: 10% discount at stores, earned 1 week of sick leave and up to 4 weeks of vacation.
Cons: supervisors stayed for a long time so chances to move up were limited.
We had certain stores we picked each day so the workers would come in and start the picking process. I would get the documents ready for them and then enter the information from the previous day into the correct computer files. I would then do quality checks and move from that to checking the incoming merchandise for the correct styles prices and quality. After everything was confirmed I helped the secretary with entering the orders into the computer. I had a great group of ladies that worked for me and I enjoyed my job. The management at the warehouse were very good to work with and we all became like family. The hardest part of my job was the occasional times we would have to let someone go and when they called us all to the break room to tell us the company was closing.
Good life work balance
Store Manager (Former Employee), Grand Prairie, TXMarch 5, 2015
Job was typical retail job. Company decent to work with. The customers were most enjoyable part of my job. The hardest part of job was not receiving product for ads. Ads were done at least four weeks out buyers still did not supply enough product to support the ad.

1 2 3 4 5