ALCO Employee Reviews

Set up entire store and was so proud opening day when I could show customers, an family, all of my hard-work.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  509 W. 11th St. Hugoton, KS 67951June 10, 2012
I was responsible for efficiently, safely, and promptly managing the front end of the store including: Jewelry counter which entailed inventory counts regularly, Cashier assignment to jewelry counter, theft prevention, Electronics department which entailed inventory counts, responsible for re-order of big ticket items, also keeping close attention to theft prevention, including gaming case which only managers had a key to, Customer Service Counter - cashier assignment, 2 other cashiers also on duty, CSM - I was responsible for getting cashiers change for tills, authorizing refunds over 20.00 done by CS cashier, answering phone an directing customer calls to correct departments, oversaw scheduling of cashiers lunch/breaks for the day. Also responsible for check in/out of vendors, I had to put together customers photo films daily and send out correct package and make sure that I received all of the customer orders expected for the day. deposits verified with other manager on duty. Responsible for correct money balance of cashiers tills after each shift. The store manager had a heart attack day before grand opening therefore Alco had to bring in another manager and things were very frustrating and confusing after that. The original store manager was not cleared to come back to work through Alco and the new store manager was unapproachable, I found it extremely disappointing when I could not get him on the sales floor to answer questions for customers or for myself. The best part of the job was being hired before the building for the store was even built and being able to put my  more... effort, hard work, and dedication from the very start. I admired my boss who was willing to teach me what I didn't already know. I also very much respected the fact that my manager was willing to allow me to be creative with the departments I managed. Jewelry was a very prideful responsibility for me. I love jewelry and It was very exciting. Electronics was a little intimidating at first because I had no knowledge of flat screen t.v.'s, home theater systems, and the latest computer software, and gaming accessories. I did manage to learn quite a bit about these items as I began to sell them I became more knowledgeable. My most favorite job duties was the responsibility of supervising the back up cashiers, jewelry, and customer service cashier, I liked the interaction that I got with the customers when I would get called to the CS counter to approve personal checks over $50.00 or to authorize a return over $20.00. the customers were very considerate, gracious, as well as patient knowing that all of us employees were new to this. It's both gratifying and satisfying to even be considered for a position such as Customer Service Manager! I had no experience in a management position at that time. It was very rewarding that someone saw in me the potential, dedication, hard work and responsibility it takes to be in a position like CSM. I am forever grateful and thirst for more knowledge in retail sales If I can find someone willing to take their time to teach me!!!!!  less
Pros
1hr lunch break, responsibility of supervising others, teaching them what i know about the retail industry, went to colorado for 1wk and learned alco's seimens cash registers, this job gave me a sense of worth and placement when i needed it most
Cons
making mistakes with sku's and having to try to place merchandise then having to move it anyways, working 13hours a day until opening, unloading 21 freight trucks in 4 days time, training cashiers an management on the registers
A great place to work with people that I call my family. We are hard working and try to provide the best customer service possible.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Trinity, TXNovember 23, 2014
Since going to court Nov. 17 for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy due to Corporate Mismanagement, the sales have sky rocketed through the roof the first day of liquidation. The people of the community are very sad that ALCO is closing after 15 years of being in our small town. A typical day at work begins with recovery, cleaning, customer service, stocking shelves, and preparing for the Dec. 11 Inventory. I learned about the Alcohol restrictions and currently have a license which ALCO paid for all eligible employees. My co-workers are like family and we have each other's back. The hardest part of the job is trying to please every customer because no matter how hard you try, some customers are just not satisfied regardless. Some things were out of our control like Corporate not sending enough freight to stock our shelves with items that were in the ads. Seasonal items were not plentiful like heaters, bathing suits, fire logs, etc...The most enjoyable part of the job is at the end of the year, the store manager gave us a Christmas party and we exchanged gifts. We also had a Christmas tree decorating contest which our store won for our District. On Mother's Day and Father's Day we had demonstrations on how to tie a scarf, gift sets, and one of our employees dressed up as Santa Claus last year and provided the Christmas spirit for the kids. Our Management works closely together and if anyone needs help or doesn't feel well that day, we are glad to pick up the slack.
Pros
i loved that job and i will miss my alco family terribly.
Cons
customers putting items everywhere in the store where they don't belong and thieves.
Was fun and enjoyable but then became a JOKE!!!!!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaJanuary 25, 2013
Years back I went to a job interview in Indiana for Store Manager in Training. I was young in my early 20's coming from retail management background. I was young, cocky and naive looking for a big shot position. Long story short got the job I was in training out in Indiana for about 3 months. Went to a week of corporate office training in Abilene, Kansas. I was part of a group of other manager trainees. We were all young so we got to relate to one another. Went drinking at the bar every night and during the day had those boring corporate training classes fun times. During my last two weeks in Indiana I helped out a store will say near Amish people. This store was so bad I would of just closed it by now. Anyhow got my own store in Minnesota and the rest is history. I was placed in a poor store that needed real big help. I hired almost a brand new team. My group managers were the reason that the store was poor and I ended up leaving the company. "Don't work for this company in Store Management". As a Store Manager u will not last more than a year just like any other discount retailer. It’s not a career it’s just a job here to get ur feet wet before you start a career with someone else.
Pros
40 to 50 hours a week wasn't to bad, my training store in hartford, indiana training was good learned what i needed to know.
Cons
group managers would lie or start drama, got into my own store in minnesota and had to hire another 10 people as they were short handed, my district manager was a lady who wasn't helpful at all didn't care about me.

Comment – March 17, 2013

Yes, I know what you mean. I was too hired and joined the Store Manager Training Program. I could have met you as it's been years since I worked for this company. Working in the small towns isn't that much fun as everyone is part of some big family or with all the gossip everyone knows everyone’s business. I was seen drinking in the local bar where I was a Manager and everyone talked about it. Like I was some kind of alcoholic. First thing I only went out once a week and second thing is 80% of that town was alcoholics. I will tell you and others that ALCO will hire young bucks with college or 3 or more year’s experience. Most of them will not see over a year so about 85% of them will be fired or pushed out of the company by quitting. The 10% or so that see more than a year are placed in the better stores. They have about 260 stores or so and only about 30 of them are an "A+" store....

Has it's ups and downs.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Somewhere, TexasDecember 27, 2012
I like the company and the people I work with.I do have my doubts about advancement.My best advice i can give you is to learn the register fast cause with this company the cashiers get the hours and show up to work all the time.I have worked for this company for a year now and find many pro's about it however there are many con's as well.At times working for this company I find that this is merely a pit stop and not a place for a career.From my experience you can work hard and do things that others cannot and still be passed up for a promotion.This company has great expectation of you as a sales associate but I find the people they choose to run their stores do believe in the phrase " Do as I say,not as I do.".I enjoy working with our Store Manager but the group Managers are in need of work.I do know that this is not the case in many stores but i'm sure many will find this to be true.this company for some reason is very poor at keeping store hours the same.One day you will open from 8am to 9pm and the next the the company will decide to change the hours to 9am-8pm.There is no stability with the store hours at all.So keep checking your hours cause they are subjected to change at the will of the company.However do not let this deter you from seeking employment with this company.There are many new people and friends to be made and new things to learn.I have learned many things here just wish this company would give many more a chance to prove their worth to this company and show that they can be a valuable asset to the company.
Pros
job security
Cons
inexperienced group managers/changing opening and closing hours/lack of advancement.

Comment – January 5, 2013

I was in the so called Store Manager Trainee Program in Indiana for about 3 months. Got my own Store in Minnesota and spent a total of about under 8 months. I was in my mid 20's so was the rest of the Store Manager Trainee's. I was liked in my store by the women but the older crowd had their doubts. My Group Managers always pointed fingers at one another for stuff not done right and mistakes. I had to fire and do a lot of hiring when I got into my role at my store. Over all I hated it lack of training to really know what to do other then the basic knowledge to run the store. My DM wasn't helpful at all and I heard she didn't care if Store Managers come and go. Poor company really with it being said being in small towns isn't the smartest thing because the lack of good associates. I seen them come and go and most of them couldn't get a job because of the criminal records. Yeah small town America has more criminals then City’s. Don’t work here if you’re looking for a Store Manager role. You will last less than a year. All the Trainee’s in my group are no longer with the company and that was 15 of us guys training at the same time in different states. Not one last over 10 months and that’s really sad!!!!

A day at Alco
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Pilot Point, TXJuly 8, 2013
A typical work day for me runs 730-4. I work close to 40 hours each week. I have learned some advanced Customer service skills as far as handling customers needs and complaints, answering questions, and also how to establish relationships with the customers. I have been able to train each of my co-workers and have good relationships with all of them. My managers are very friendly and are great at teaching and also listening to things we tell them. They are very helpful at the workplace and make it for a wonderful place to be at. I love my job and all the people there so to apply other places is difficult. The hardest part of Alco is having to deny a customer something they need or want to do. Ex: when a customer comes in to return something (clothes, shoes, toys, movies, etc.) we have to inspect the product. Sometimes we are unable to take the product back depending on the actual product (a heater in the summer, clothes are dirty) and having to tell the customer no to the exchange is usually hard for me bc i know they usually need to money for something else. The most enjoyable part of my day is just all the customers who come in. Being in Pilot Point most of the people we see are regulars, its nice to have them come in everyday and talk to you. As well as i love working with my fellow co-workers.
Pros
close to home, easy and fun job
Cons
pay
Daily Life at ALCO
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Ste. Genevieve, MOMay 19, 2015
A typical day at work at Alco was having your mindset that you were already in trouble for either something or nothing whether you did it or not. At Alco, I learned how to provide good customer service, planograms, faxing and ordering supplies and product. Some of the co-workers were okay the others involved drama. Management was very poor. Our store manager was very rude who would yell at you for everything whether you did a good job or not. There was never a "thank you" or "good job" when you did something praise worthy. Other department managers were either lazy and did not know or want to do their job. Majority of the time the lower associates did the managers job such as reading emails, calling other stores for product trade, sitting in conference calls, helping and dealing with angry customers rather than managers coming down to deal with them. The hardest part of the job was keeping a positive attitude and not letting what the customers or the staff had to say effect the way you work. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to help the Shop with a Cop officers help find younger children toys and seeing the joy.
Pros
getting to help customers and meet new people
Cons
No insurance, no benefits, low pay, weak raises
Great place to work!
Group Manager (Former Employee) –  Sisseton, SDJanuary 14, 2013
I worked for Alco for 4 years. During my last 4 months there, I was promoted to Group Manger for the Hardlines Department. There is always something to do there, we always got stuff accomplished. Sometimes we were short staffed but we pulled through. Everyone was family and treated with respect. If we got new employees, they always felt at home right away because we would do our best to keep them comfortable.
My co-workers were the best along with the customers. Our store was in a somewhat small town, but with regular customers, we built friendships from this store.
Of course, the only hard part about the job is unloading truck and trying to figure where to put everything after the stockroom is full.
But, everyday...there is something new going on and the customers make everything fun. We always go out of our way to find the products our customers needed that were on sale or something that they needed right away, but couldn't find it themselves.
Pros
friendly people, flexible hours, free food sometimes, individual b-day parties, going away parties, pot-lucks
Cons
unloading truck, getting stuck on registers
An enjoyable place to work.
Asst.Superviser (Former Employee) –  Abilene, KSMarch 10, 2015
We had certain stores we picked each day so the workers would come in and start the picking process. I would get the documents ready for them and then enter the information from the previous day into the correct computer files. I would then do quality checks and move from that to checking the incoming merchandise for the correct styles prices and quality. After everything was confirmed I helped the secretary with entering the orders into the computer. I had a great group of ladies that worked for me and I enjoyed my job. The management at the warehouse were very good to work with and we all became like family. The hardest part of my job was the occasional times we would have to let someone go and when they called us all to the break room to tell us the company was closing.
Pros
10% discount at stores, earned 1 week of sick leave and up to 4 weeks of vacation.
Cons
supervisors stayed for a long time so chances to move up were limited.
I enjoyed and learned so much working at ALCO.
IT Project Manger/Payment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Abilene, KSApril 28, 2015
This company was a very family oriented and gave its employees a chance to advance within from experience and achievements. Unfortunately this changed once money became number one and the board chose to put people in charge who were not familiar with our company concept of small town commerce.
I worked in the ever changing and always putting our fires department of IT and I LOVED it. I learned so much from networking, working on PCs, programming to working on all area programs, including managing credit cards (MC, VISA, DISC, AMEX, SNAP/EBT, third party gift cards and internal gift cards), fuel centers, BOGO events (we used these for more than just BOGOs) and helping with every aspect of the retail business.
Productive, Very flexible
Stock, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Delphos, OHMarch 9, 2014
Day included cashiering, stocking, clean-up, and other misc tasks. I learned a great deal about teamwork and the rewarding feeling of completing a task well before it was due. Management was great at the store level and the coworkers were easy to get along with. They worked around my schedule fairly easily and I turned around and came in if they needed someone else if someone called in or had extra hours. The hardest part was trying to understand why corporate would make some decisions without much thought and therefore cost many people their jobs. Most enjoyable part would be the family like atmosphere we provided for ourselves and our customers.
Pros
decent high school pay, hard work provides much enjoyment
not much advancement
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greenville, ILJanuary 25, 2015
Since this was a really small store there was only about 7 of us that worked there. I was a really hard worker there and got a lot of work done in short amounts of time. I liked that I didn't have my bosses breathing down my neck all the time, and I could just do what needed to be done. I helped unload our shipments, sort through the items, and then when truck was done we would start unloading it onto the sales floor in the assigned department. I was a cashier often which means I answered phones, did paperwork, handled customers, and the registers. I did a lot of cleaning and organizing of the merchandise on the sales floor and the stock room. I really enjoyed being busy and working hard for this company. The only downfall was that since there was only 7 people here there wasn't much room for advancement in the company.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
no advancement opportunities
Ex-employee
Softlines Group Managers (Former Employee) –  Kermit TexasSeptember 13, 2014
I worked for Alco for almost 6 years. I was made Soft lines Group manager a month after I was hired. I have had 5 Store Managers. For the last 6 months I have been acting Store Manager and SL Manager. Needless to say SL got neglected. The store had a mice infestation that was left for me to clean up. We get a new District Manager who does come in and gets us some help. He does not thank the other Group Managers or myself for running his store short handed and without a Store Manager. I quit not only because of the stress but because of upper management being ungrateful to the people who keeps the store running.
The 3 stars is because I loved my job just didn't like how we were treated by upper management.
Pros
customers and co-workers
Cons
being short handed, being taken advantage of, under paid.
Loveable workplace, meeting different people and great co-workers
HEAD CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Glennville, GAApril 25, 2014
I would ring customers up and deal with the cash register. Such as doing layways and returns also. Counting money and making sure I put a smile on someones face by the end of my shift.
I learn how to commuicate better and dealing with difficult situations and I've learned that the customers are always right.
The hardest part of the job I would have to say is the customer that you can never pleased, but at the end of the day I make everything work and never let it stress me out.
The most enjoyable part is making someones day better. Just by saying hello and asking them how their day is going. You never know that can change the customers or maybe even a co-workers attitude for the whole entire day.
No way to advance in job.
Warehouse Employee (Former Employee) –  Abilene, KSFebruary 11, 2015
A typical day at work was always stressful as you did not know what department you would end up working. The jobs were always stressful, because some team leaders, assistants and management had no idea of what it took to complete jobs in their own departments.
There were no opportunities for advancement unless you were willing to take a $2-$3 per hour pay cut, along with a 90-day evaluation period. This made it virtually impossible for anyone to advance unless money was not a consideration.
The most enjoyable part of working at ALCO was your co-workers. They understood what was necessary to get the jobs done, and in working alongside each other you could always make it through the day.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
untrained team leaders
If you keep up with your work it is a fun place to work.
Operations Manager/Group Manager (Former Employee) –  Ligonier, INMarch 27, 2015
A typical day has you ALWAYS greeting customers, facing, working the truck and back stock. You always have new plan-o-grams or end caps to set. I had a good selection of employees they all had their strong points. Some worked hard, some used there brain more, some had the gift of gab and that goes a long way with customers. The hardest part about the job was they were always changing things around. No sooner did you get things set up just right and they (corp.) want you to change it again. The most enjoyable part of the job was our contest to keep up sales.
Pros
Flexible hours
benefits
What I have done for ALCO.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Broken Bow, NEMay 6, 2013
Many days I was responible for getting recalls, and defectives ready for return trucks. I also recieved all paperwork, deposits, layaway aduits, and Sent out Bad check letters. Another one of my tasks was to create the daily schedule. I was also in charge of making sure employees kept up with the tasks they were given daily. I made sure the store was recovered daily, and many times I opened and closed the store. The hardest part of my job is making sure all work is done in a timely manner. I cant define just one thing I enjoyed about this job. I really enjoyed helping others and being a team player.
Pros
working in the retail field
Cons
having to wait so long for benefits
Downsize
HOURLY SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Spring Branch, TXMarch 21, 2012
This place have nice people who work here to accomadate the residents, and fellow Houstonians of Spring Branch. This store is newly built since December 2011-with comparisons to BigLots. This store have employees for Hourly Sales Associates, and up to 4 managers per shift. This store have at least 2 cashiers on shift, and the ability to call for more cashiers if the line consists of more than 2 customers at a time. The rest of the associates are Loss Prevention, and Security walking around for customer service, and theft prevention. This store does accept snap for its food products, no meats, no bakery, no pharmacy.
Pros
15 min breaks, hour lunches
Cons
compete for hours based on senority, lots of down/slow time
Fue el comienzo de mi experiencia laboral, la escuela de mis conocimeintos profesionales
Recepcionista, Sec Ejecutiva, Asist Contabilidad (Former Employee) –  Canóvanas PRMay 5, 2015
Tuve en los 15 de años de servicio un desarrollo consecuente en cada una de las pocisiones ejecutadas, sobrepasando las espectativas de desempeño. Excelentes compañeros de trabajo. La oportunidad de reclutar y adiestrar. La parte dificil fue que con el tiempo de mucho trabajo y esfuerzo, ver llegar con mejores beneficios y salarios a personas que yo misma adiestré y recluté. Obviamente entendiendo que el salario mínimo federal aumentó considerablemente en ese tiempo. La parte agradable es que mi trabajo fue siempre reconocido y fui referida para mejores oportunidades de empleo.
Pros
Gran oportunidad de conocimientos y crecimiento
Cons
Tener que retirarme para mejor remuneración
loved the people i worked with and my job
Checker stocker (Former Employee) –  Russellville, AROctober 16, 2012
when i came in the supervisors would let me know if there was any thing new going on. I would check out the customers some days I would do recovery or put up stock, on wednesday we would have a delivery truck come in. The management was kind they taught me to use the cash register computer system. My co-workers became my friends. The hardest part of the job is the irrate customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was opening the boxes that came in and putting up the new items.
Pros
we got a discount
Cons
the health care was too high
Cashier/stock associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, COJanuary 3, 2015
Management was always willing to work with my doctor appointments as I was just ending my chemo/radiation treatments for cancer. A typical day consisted of answering the phone, greeting customers, using the intercom for a member of management for price checks, overrides or general customer service. I loved seeing all the different people coming through my line. They consisted of truck drivers, city folk, farm folk, bus riders to and from Denver and travelers who had stopped just because.
Pros
it was a family environment.
Cons
no benefits, no cross training.