ALCO Employee Reviews

It WAS an amazing place to work
Hardlines Group Manager (Former Employee) –  Sisseton, SDOctober 9, 2017
I worked for this company for 4 1/2 years. Very enjoyable and loved every minute of my shift. Always something to do. Staff is nice and friendly.... Wish they didn't went bankrupt otherwise I'd be working there!
Pros
Friendly, Flexible
Great Company early on
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pratt, KSOctober 3, 2017
Fast-paced no two days alike busy and hands-on, training , loss prevention, inventory, budget- hiring/ overall payroll deposits P&L ordering trucks weekly- lawn and garden hardlines /softlines MORE career than a job longterm.....
Great place to work but bad pay
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Milbank, SDOctober 1, 2017
Great place to work the people are very friendly and was able to advance from cashier to manager before I was there a year, however the pay was very low and no benefits
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
bad wages
Stressful
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, TXSeptember 28, 2017
Management was non consistant, Headp Members of company would come in and say do this do that,then the next day another set would come in and want us to redo what we were told to oojust do. Crazy stupid. Company ordered stuff we werent selling and not ordering what we were and we were not allowed to have back stock in stock room. Delivery area was a mess as we did not have proper area, and it was dangerous to employees everyday
Pros
pay
Cons
work environment
Fun Environement
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Talihina, OKSeptember 26, 2017
I loved working this job. I was a cashier so i worked with the people. I loved my coworkers. It was a very fun and energetic environment. We all were like a big group of friends. I was competitive at times which kept us on our toes. we tried to see who could sell the most of the weekly item. This was a fun place. The company unfortunately went bankrupt.
loved it
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kermit, TXSeptember 15, 2017
The company went out of business in the area or I might still be working there today. I loved it here, they had a diverse crew. Very family like environment to work.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
company went under
temporary work
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Fort Morgan, COSeptember 8, 2017
Worked during holiday rush. Easy work. Enjoyed working with people. Was only given the opportunity to work a few months--was hired as a temporary employee during break from college. Enjoyed the short time I was there
Pros
good hours
Bad business
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Albemarle, NCAugust 24, 2017
The upper management above store mangement are horrible do not want to give raises when deserved. Just a bad company to work for. District manager does not care about staf. Holds the wrong people accountable with conflicts makes decisions based on here say. Holds store managers responsible for turn over rate when they do not hire or fire the district manager does.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No wage increases
Hard work short hours
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYAugust 23, 2017
At first it was a good job. Then it fell apart and work slowed down. So, I had to leave the job, and go back to my home town. They almost had me homeless work was so slow.
Company Closed
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Johns, AZAugust 17, 2017
Alco shut It's doors and is no longer in business. It was a fantastic place to work and shop for many years. I gave 12 years of my career to that company and will forever be grateful for the opportunities that were given to me.
Alco focused on friendly customer service
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXAugust 5, 2017
Alco filed bankruptcy and blamed it on the 2008 recession. They fought hard to stay in business but had to close all the stores. I enjoyed learning more about being a store manager at Alco. There was good leadership. I kept a clean and inviting store and showed good customer service by example everyday and expected my associates to do the same. The workplace culture was good. Very little turnover rate in my management team and associates. The hardest part of the job was helping upset customers but at the same time it could be the most enjoyable part of the job because I solved a problem they brought to my attention.
Pros
A good environment to work. Good benefits.
Cons
The store closed. Hiring or letting go of associates was hard.
great place to work
Manger/Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXAugust 3, 2017
great company to work for,they went out of business but if they was still here they would be competing with the big boxes and the employess where great to work with
Fun and easy going
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXJuly 20, 2017
Working at Alco was a fun experience. It taught me how to be patience with others, keeping up with the flow of the environment which included stocking shelves, putting price tags on items, inventory, occasionally helping customers with their needs, and etc. Management was reasonable and friendly. The hardest part of my job was inventory. The most enjoyable part was working with others to get the job done. Overall, I would say working at Alco was a great learning experience for me.
wide range of things to work on, terrible ethics
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Limon, COJuly 7, 2017
ALCO was a really cool place to work I loved the work pace and how everyday there was something different it made for a not so boring job one day id be tearing down a shelf and moving everything to a different location the next day id be building furniture and grills all day. it changed a lot and that was really nice, the manager of the store was really stuck up and very rude to all the employees they did not meet a lot of requirements that they should have for instance while unloading a truck they should have back braces for the employees unloading so that way they don't pull anything they should have slip resistant grip on the stairs that they had leading up to their returns room but they did not and as a result I had fallen and broke a rib that never healed properly I can say that their work comp was good because I was well taken care of while dealing with all the doctors
Pros
20% discount, wide range of things to work on
Cons
missing equipment, terrible boss, cheap stuff being sold
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Garnett, KSJuly 4, 2017
I was a chaser I greeted people and helped shock shelves. When I went back during college I was moved to payroll and operations. At that point I learned how to manage the books and handle shipments.
First job I got when I turned 16
Product Organizer (Former Employee) –  Blanding, UTJune 28, 2017
This store is out of business and shut down.
I worked for about 3 hours a week. I organized the shelves in the electronic department and reported theft.
Wonderful Environment If It Had Not Closed
Associate (Former Employee) –  Long Prairie, MNJune 23, 2017
This company has closed its doors, but during my high school career this was a wonderful place to work. Management was friendly and the atmosphere of the store was very calm and pleasant.
Pros
Great environment.
Cons
No longer exists.
temp. job
Checker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  McCook, NEJune 21, 2017
Alco was a temp job. I took this job as they was closing the store down. I enjoyed working with the customers and meeting new people and I enjoyed being a checker
Cons
short term job
I liked my job at Alco because I met new people and was able to help customers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Prague, MNMay 25, 2017
My boss at Alco was not very friendly and not real good at being a people person. This was a second part-time job for me.
I enjoyed working or retail job stocking shelves and being a cashier.
Pros
I was able to help people out and I enjoyed the cashier and stocking shelves
Cons
The pay was not the best and the boss was not very friendly.
out of businesses anyway
Group Manager (Former Employee) –  Sidney, MTMay 11, 2017
our location was a brand new store with a manager that i guess had no idea how to open a brand new store. She drove out a lot of lower managers and scared away a lot of employees. very demanding and no matter what you did or how you did it, it would be wrong.