ALCO Employee Reviews in United States

Daily Life at ALCO
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Ste. Genevieve, MOMay 19, 2015
A typical day at work at Alco was having your mindset that you were already in trouble for either something or nothing whether you did it or not. At Alco, I learned how to provide good customer service, planograms, faxing and ordering supplies and product. Some of the co-workers were okay the others involved drama. Management was very poor. Our store manager was very rude who would yell at you for everything whether you did a good job or not. There was never a "thank you" or "good job" when you did something praise worthy. Other department managers were either lazy and did not know or want to do their job. Majority of the time the lower associates did the managers job such as reading emails, calling other stores for product trade, sitting in conference calls, helping and dealing with angry customers rather than managers coming down to deal with them. The hardest part of the job was keeping a positive attitude and not letting what the customers or the staff had to say effect the way you work. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to help the Shop with a Cop officers help find younger children toys and seeing the joy.
Pros
getting to help customers and meet new people
Cons
No insurance, no benefits, low pay, weak raises
I grew in my jobs & people skills from the time I started.
Hardline Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Preston, IDMarch 21, 2016
I learned skills in making a great experience for the customers I helped. I helped my co-workers to feel good about the job they were doing.
Everyone needs a boost in self-esteem, I was happy to give that. I learned supervising skills. This helped me to teach others, how they could be better at whatever job they were working on. We had a great working group with very little turn-over.
Pros
Great people to work with - like a family.
Cons
The company closing.
A place where you learn excetpional customer service skills
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Imperial, NEJanuary 26, 2016
After school, I would to into work and they would tell me if I was on the register or on the floor. If I was on the floor I typically ran the the register and helped clean up. If I was on the floor I put of freight and helped customers find what they needed.
Pros
Great co-workers and manager
Cons
Long hours during the weekend
Loved them
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Conifer, COMarch 31, 2016
Great place to work. Lots of fun! To bad the Ceo did some wrong choices to make all the stores close down. It is even more sad since ALCO served the small community and at times they would be the only store in the area. Sad day
If you keep up with your work it is a fun place to work.
Operations Manager/Group Manager (Former Employee) –  Ligonier, INMarch 27, 2015
A typical day has you ALWAYS greeting customers, facing, working the truck and back stock. You always have new plan-o-grams or end caps to set. I had a good selection of employees they all had their strong points. Some worked hard, some used there brain more, some had the gift of gab and that goes a long way with customers. The hardest part about the job was they were always changing things around. No sooner did you get things set up just right and they (corp.) want you to change it again. The most enjoyable part of the job was our contest to keep up sales.
Pros
Flexible hours
benefits
Productive and Great place to work...
Tow motor operator (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHApril 17, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job while I was employed with Alco was the environment I worked in it was very clean considering the work environment. Also the co-workers were very considerate and helping when I had an issue.
Cashier/stock associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, COJanuary 3, 2015
Management was always willing to work with my doctor appointments as I was just ending my chemo/radiation treatments for cancer. A typical day consisted of answering the phone, greeting customers, using the intercom for a member of management for price checks, overrides or general customer service. I loved seeing all the different people coming through my line. They consisted of truck drivers, city folk, farm folk, bus riders to and from Denver and travelers who had stopped just because.
Pros
it was a family environment.
Cons
no benefits, no cross training.
Store Manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Clifton, TXMay 26, 2016
I enjoyed the short time that I worked there. The store had not had a Store Manager in over a year. There were many challenges that had to overcome. Sorry to see them file bankruptcy.
Small town job with fun people
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  South Hutchinson, KSMay 9, 2016
It was a great first time job that allows someone who is looking for a first job. The people you work with are people that you get to know very well.
Place to work
Customer Service representative (Former Employee) –  Monte Vista, COMay 23, 2016
Manager was skimming money, and employees were stealing merchandise. Pay was bad, hours were worse.
Crew was fun to work with.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lisbon, NDApril 4, 2016
Very good to work for even though now they are closed. Boss was great, DM was ok. Coworkers were ok. The hardest part of the job was making sure coworkers changed the prices on merchandise when changing end caps
What I have done for ALCO.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Broken Bow, NEMay 6, 2013
Many days I was responible for getting recalls, and defectives ready for return trucks. I also recieved all paperwork, deposits, layaway aduits, and Sent out Bad check letters. Another one of my tasks was to create the daily schedule. I was also in charge of making sure employees kept up with the tasks they were given daily. I made sure the store was recovered daily, and many times I opened and closed the store. The hardest part of my job is making sure all work is done in a timely manner. I cant define just one thing I enjoyed about this job. I really enjoyed helping others and being a team player.
Pros
working in the retail field
Cons
having to wait so long for benefits
Customer Oriented Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Larned, KSApril 22, 2013
A typical workday was filled with restocking shelves checking out customers and multitasking. Management in this particular store was lacking, making promises to employees and not following through. My relationship with co-workers was a comradery and friendship. The hardest part of this job was the long hours on my feet. I enjoyed this job.
Pros
store discount
Cons
short breaks, few bathroom breaks, benifits, wages
Fun place to work....
Cashier/ stocker (Current Employee) –  Pinedale, WYMay 15, 2013
Alco is a good pace to work, the management is great and everyone is hepful and try their best to help you as much as possible. The only bad thing I would have to say about there is the pay. Their pay is too low. If they were to raise their pay to match everyone else around the area, they probley wouldn't go through as many people.
Pros
an hour lunch and flexibility in schedule
Cons
the pay
Great concept, very poor performance
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Utah areaJuly 27, 2014
I worked for Alco for 3 years as a district manager. During those years, I traveled extensively as stores were 2 to 5 hours apart from each other. Quality of life was poor, I received NO raise in three years or a bonus. Stores were hard to staff for General managers, shrink was high and it was a challenge everyday.
Worst job i've had
cashier (Former Employee) –  Devine, TxApril 12, 2014
Took forever to get a response after applying then took forever to start working after I got hired. Long hiring process all done by email/online from manager & company. Drama in work place. Stuck working closing. Worst assistant manager who is childish & lazy & favors some.
Pros
some of my co workers
Cons
pay; no benefits except a little 10% discount; management
worst job i've ever had
former employee (Former Employee) –  abilene, ksJanuary 23, 2014
The only good thing about that place were the coworkers. Management was treating employees very poorly. Store manager never praised anyone and he gave horrible raises to everyone. No bonuses or benefits whatsoever. Horrible company to work for.
Cons
bad management
Basic starter job.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Holbrook, AZSeptember 10, 2014
Enjoyed working with the other employees and helping customers. The job is part-time, minimum wage only, therefore no benefits either. No job security. Little chance of advancement unless you want to be a store manager.
No way to advance in job.
Warehouse Employee (Former Employee) –  Abilene, KSFebruary 11, 2015
A typical day at work was always stressful as you did not know what department you would end up working. The jobs were always stressful, because some team leaders, assistants and management had no idea of what it took to complete jobs in their own departments.
There were no opportunities for advancement unless you were willing to take a $2-$3 per hour pay cut, along with a 90-day evaluation period. This made it virtually impossible for anyone to advance unless money was not a consideration.
The most enjoyable part of working at ALCO was your co-workers. They understood what was necessary to get the jobs done, and in working alongside each other you could always make it through the day.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
untrained team leaders
Very fun place to work, family atmosphere.
retail associate (Current Employee) –  Leadville, CONovember 20, 2014
I love working at ALCO, The people are great, customers and employees both. I learned the typical parts of working at a retail store.
Pros
flexible hours, great staff, nice break room
benefits