ALCOA INC Employee Reviews

Good people to work with. Good compensations. Confused managment
Senior technical specialist (Former Employee), Alcoa Center, PAJune 30, 2015
Pros: Good people to work with. Decent compensation.
Cons: Bad management
During my tenure I learned a lot from being just an engineer to technical manager to production management Able to switch jobs easy.
Difficult to understand the top management strategies. Not very clear.
Lot of wastes in spending at R & D divisions.
No clear project management capabilities.
productive and fun work place
NA Production Database Support (Former Employee), New Kensington, PAJune 25, 2015
ALCOA had a good job environment and learned many more things about the job and management.My co-workers were very friendly.
My day at Alcoa
Quality Engineer (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Pay
Cons: culture
Typical day - Adventure
What I learned - how to die designs
Management - Micro manage
Co-workers - Willing to help
Hardest part of the job - never know
Most enjoyable part of the job - the people
Good company
Team leader (Current Employee), NorwayMarch 18, 2015
Pros: flexible work, responsability, open co worker, management open to use it as a driver for performance
Cons: sometimes over regulated
Overall is a good company to work for. I worked in two different countries and as expected the local management affect somehow the company culture, and implement in a different way the corporate vision. The biggest differences are in the way the local management hanldes employees and this result in different performances both due to the cultural differences and the diffferent management strategies.
A company that is going places
CCM Administrator (Current Employee), Alcoa, TNNovember 19, 2014
Pros: free training for multiple software systems
Cons: working in manufacturing
Alcoa as a whole is an impressive company to work for. It is a fairly laid back enviroment and compensation is fair. There are stressful days like any work place but those are for the most part few and far between.
Productive and Fun
Sr. Procurement Process Analyst / Buyer (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHSeptember 3, 2014
Very busy in Procurement department
Focus
Leadership
Fun
Routine
Promoted Wellness
Productive work environment used to be a fun work place but not anymore
Bar Coder; Rotary Operator (Former Employee), Barberton, OHJuly 16, 2014
Pros: good pay, friendly coworkers, nice hours
Cons: working weekends is mandatory, they have a no cussing policy, stressful work environment at times
Stressful work days at times other times it can be very laid back depends on how busy your day is.

I've learned how to scan bar codes for rims and how to operate a rotary for rims

Liked some of my coworkers they were very friendly while others just got on my nerves

Hardest part is constantly having to lift the rims if your line is backed up

Most enjoyable part is how lenient it can be at times
Didnt get to experience much
Production Worker (Former Employee), New Kensington, PAMay 24, 2014
Pros: great pay, benefits, professional environment
Cons: laid off after 3 months
Worked in research and development for anode production. lab tech position. Trained to utilize over head cranes and iso-static press. Co-workers where friendly and easy to work with. No hard parts of job. Enjoyable part was the job itself.
Best job ever
Summer Intern (Former Employee), Newburgh, INApril 17, 2014
Pros: the money
Cons: work enviroment
The people were down to earth, not hard work, good pay, very relaxed.
Great experience
Project Planner, Global Primary Products (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 5, 2014
It was my first experience where I had the opportunity to work with their capital investment projects worldwide in all different aspects of project management
Great team atmosphere
Spooler Operator (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: teamwork
Cons: short breaks
A typical day would include reading the board to see where you were assigned for that shift. The co-workers always assisted each other each line had a minimum of 3 operators so we did what was necessary to accomplish the goals of the shift.
Fast paced production plant
Ingot Utility Operator (Current Employee), Massena, NYNovember 4, 2013
Pros: benefits, 401k, o.t., bonuses.
Cons: extremely hot, burns all the time, rotating shifts
Most Alcoa workers, work 12 hour rotating shifts. Daily meetings to inform employees of shifts expected tasks, duties, and safety updates. Alcoa is a place where learning could be a never ending task. Employees have the chance to move around the plant laterally and up to meet and learn new people and skills. Most co-workers are very out going, energetic, fast paced, hard working, witty people. My hardest part of my employment was Rotating shifts, because your body doesn't ever get used to sleeping during the day to sleeping at night in the same week. The best part of all my jobs was being a Pit Operator. The job is extremely dangerous, hot, and tiring, but it was just a comfortable work place that I enjoyed. Most management previously worked on the floor doing the same jobs, so they were understanding, and easy going. Possibilities can be endless once you are an ALCOA employee.
Very predictable job
Production Worker (Former Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 11, 2013
Pros: could do a eight hour job i four.
Cons: got forced over often.
Very routine type enviroment and not really any challenges.
Good Company
Manager, Global Talent Management Analytics (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNOctober 9, 2013
Big Global Company
Learned a lot about Talent Management
Lot of interesting work, hectic but fun.
ALCOA is a great employer
Engineering Consultant (Former Employee), Riverdale, IAAugust 29, 2013
ALCOA is a great place to work, I spent basically my entire career there.
Alcoa Inc is a worldwide aluminum producer
Relief Operator (Current Employee), Newburgh, IndianaAugust 27, 2013
Pros: pay, benefits, co-worker relationships
Cons: job security, lme prices
Being a worldwide aluminum producer in today's economy has challenges. As a production facility you are always looking for ways to cut cost and show profits. At my current facility, our biggest responsibility is making sure the power going to the aluminum smelter is at the lowest cost possible and I think our current management does a great job. The company and union work very well together to achieve budget goals to stay in business and employed. Most days are routine and the generation units are producing maximum generation, smelter pot lines are in full operation and all is good. Some days generation units trip offline and its pretty chaotic. We have to switch pot lines from the 15KV switch yard to the 138KV switch yard, report all problems to our transmission operators and our generation trader to comply with MISO, NERC and FERC Standards. Those are the hard days, but having those days teaches me how maximum generation and the production process works and why it is so important to do my job with discipline and attention to detail because every action I make is critical to Warrick Operations. Knowing that what I do makes a huge impact on the entire operation, gives me personal enjoyment and pride to work for Alcoa INC.
Fun place
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNAugust 22, 2013
Not a whole lot to say about this company though. But it's a good place to work for. I hate the management. they do things the way the government does things.
Alcoa provided consistent training.
Buyer/Sys.Analyst/Minority Coord./Proc.Spec. (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHAugust 20, 2013
Pros: great benefits and opportunities for career growth.
Cons: business slowed and 70% workstaff reduced.
Alcoa is a worldwide company that I was proud to work for. I met so many people and learned so much in the time I worked for them. There were long days, but I worked the time in order to get the job done.
Alcoa, Inc.
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHAugust 19, 2013
Extensive background in HR generalist affairs, including experience in employee recruitment, staff development, conflict resolution, benefits and compensation and HR records management. Assist the HR link between various departments, developing teambuilding programs, job descriptions and management reports. Accomplished in personnel development, retention approaches, legal compliance issues, and managerial support.
Decent place to work if was better organized
Aluminum Caster (Current Employee), Barberton, OHJuly 11, 2013
Very unpredictable and dangerous working around molten metal.