Alcoa Employee Reviews in United States

Supportive Management, Fiscal Pressures
Maintenance and Environmental Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAMarch 16, 2016
Very strong management team with good communications skills. Easy to get along and perform your job without too much undue stress or pressure. Good base salary with paid OT for exempts and quarterly bonuses, good benefits.

The Aluminum Industry has been greatly affected by competition from the Chinese Market specifically. Causing American Companies to cut a lot of the maintenance and redevelopment budget. Not always staffed correctly due to fiscal constraints
Pros
Good work-life balance, good compensation
Cons
Fickle industry, plant not properly funded
Overall job satisfaction is decided by who your current supervisor is, and business place politics.
Quality Lab Technician/NDT/QC (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZSeptember 10, 2015
Great Benefits. Work life balance is non existent unless you are salary. The job culture is, "production vs all else," contrary to the public image at least at this location. There is great management and knowledgeable leaders, and there are those who have no appreciation for human life. Co-workers are amazing to work with and keep the workplace interesting and diverse. The most enjoyable part of this job was learning the ins and outs of Alumina in the aerospace industry and qualifying as an NDT Level 1. Due to rough economic times, I was forced to fill a dead end monotonous job with no guarantee of continuing my career advancement. No rewards or recognition for hard work.
Pros
Benefits, Career Opportunities [when presented, ] Jumping point into aerospace.
Cons
Too much politics, Favoritism, no work life balance, lower pay for dangerous work.
Miss being an Alcoan
System Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 30, 2015
Loved working for Alcoa, I had several positions that pushed my abilities and expanded my knowledge The compensation was fair and benefits were good.
Never had a job where I felt more proud of going to work.
The volume of work was most of the time too much to handle, requiring many additional hours, but the personal need to succeed and provide the best work possible overshadowed some of that.
Pros
Compensation, benefits, culture
Cons
Workload, Home and Work life, Upper management disconnect
Fast paced environment with many opportunities.
Sr Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INFebruary 25, 2016
After over 100 years as one of the top Aluminum producers in the world, Alcoa has recently shown the fore site to pursue areas of newer materials.
Alcoa provided a very good salary and benefit package in my 30 years with the company which allowed me to raise my family in the community I was raised. An opportunity that has been given to 100s of families in the area for over 75 years.
Worked with a lot of good people and hate to see most of the Smelter Employees with out jobs.
Sr HR- Labor Relations Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, INMarch 17, 2016
I would walk the Plant floor and talk with employees. I would try to help people with issues and just listen when I could. I learn a lot about people and the problems they face at work. I meet with Managers and co workers at the daily meetings. The hardest part of the job is dealing with employees who get themselves in discipline situations and get fired. On the other hand I enjoy talking with all the supervisors and hourly workers and let them know I am available good or bad. The smelter is a tough job but we did our best before the plant closes in April 2016.
Pros
We always have good parties and cake for milestones and aniversaries at work or on an off day
Cons
Tough hot dirty enviroment but our folks do a good job of getting the job done.
Payroll Accounting
Accounting / Admin Assistance (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 28, 2016
• Meet and greet visitors
• Maintain front desk, entrance area, & lounges as presentable to visitors
• Maintain office & break room supplies
• Maintain printer & fax machine functionality
• Answer & messaging with multi line phone system
• Managing incoming & outgoing mail/shipments
• Digital filing
• Working in QuickBooks as A/R & A/P clerk
• Memos, and emails, and prepared 3 reports weekly for management
• Stamped date and time of receipt on incoming mail
• Check and verify source documents such as invoices, receipts, computer printouts
• Allocate and Post Financial Transaction details to Subsidiary Books
Transfer Data to General Ledger
Pay and benefits are great.
Manufacturing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ferndale, WANovember 2, 2015
Long hours and working days and nights is hard on the family life. I've learned to work shift work and first time at a smelter. Management is mediocre at best. The complainers and problem employees out weigh the good employees of this company. Hardest part of my job was not being able to help my employees as this was a union environment. Best art of my job was making up work and getting caught up over the weekend.
Benefits
Cons
Day and night shift work, long hours.
Alcoa Internship
Safety and Industrial Hygiene Intern (Former Employee) –  Alcoa, TNAugust 1, 2015
A welcoming first impression into a seemingly difficult environment. However, the management and employees that work at the facility are incredibly focused on proper execution and management of safety goals and objectives to accomplish production of aluminum metals and alloys. The safety systems and culture are industry-leading. Leadership and management have evolved into an autonomous culture that seldom issues arise. Problems are mitigated or eliminated. My job was EHS intern and navigating through two plants was the only difficult part of my job. I enjoyed every part of my internship and Alcoa exceeded my expectations. The work is labor-intensive and challenging; however, employees show responsible care toward each other.
Pros
Competitive salary; work/life balance; leadership; safety systems
Cons
Hot work environments
Alcoa Review
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  New Kensington, PAFebruary 23, 2016
Alcoa is not very interested in your personal work life balance. They act like they care. This company is very corporate and they continue to lie to everyone to make everyone feel comfortable.
Pros
Good people, not over managed
Cons
Upper management lies to everone
plenty of hours
centerless grinder (Former Employee) –  city of industry, la puente CaDecember 30, 2015
over all not a bad place to work the hours are long and the management is a constant debate between employees. to each his own
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
difficult to get raises
Medical Manufacturing
Quality Inspection (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNFebruary 12, 2016
This company needs to open their eyes. They Make implantable medical component's that are used to help put peoples lives back together after they have suffered some kind of trauma. What greater opportunity is there than to have a job that helps out our fellow men and woman? The culture there refuses to recognize this. The culture there is low, unhappy, un-proud, back stabbing, finger pointing, non-team environment. Drugs are used by some of the workers, a walk thru the parking lot at lunch and it can be smelled. I can't say l enjoyed as hard as l tried, a single day working with the staff at Remmele Medical.
Pros
good pay
Cons
No Team or direction.
Alot of good years
Sr Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Alcoa Center, PAMarch 4, 2016
Gave me a lot of good years but I am not optimistic of the future of this company. The people that I worked with are wonderful. With this restructuring, they dismissed a lot of good people. I was fortunate to have worked there so many years. They encouraged my work/life balance, but they did not do that for everyone. I really enjoyed my time there.
After seeing those let go, I am definitely confused about what they want from people.
Great company to work for.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 27, 2016
Company was always ready to provide us with jobs for the day. We loading the large rolls of aluminum onto presses and set press up for each job as it changed. We had excellent benefits. It was a union company.
Pros
Great benefits, steady work.
Cons
Sometimes we would have long hours without days off.
High paying, safe
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, IAJanuary 31, 2016
Ran big machinery, learned how to navigate trucks and trailers full of metal, learned how to gauge metal using a micrometer. Management was involved but understood your knowledge as an operator and didn't micro-manage.
benefits
Cons
rotating shifts, 12 hours
Good company to work for
Waste Water Treatment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAFebruary 25, 2016
I liked my co-workers, I always felt like my input was appreciated. They had workers appreciation days ( BBQs) & ice cream days.
Pros
good benefits
A day at Work.
Workcell Operator / CMM Programming (Former Employee) –  Dover, New Jersey USAFebruary 15, 2016
I enjoyed every moment I worked at Alcoa, it was definitely challenging in every aspect. Learned a lot from each department (15 departments). How exactly the blades from aircraft turbines process were made from beginning to the end. If it wasn't for the co-workers I wouldn't have enjoyed nor known so much about the company itself and not only that but I never would've learned so much in such little time. Management was great they had great goals and were very friendly to the employees, we felt valued, which was obviously important. Dress policy was always a big issue wearing goggles, gloves, safety shoes, protective equipment for your ears and even face masks in certain departments. I'll have to say the hardest part of the job was to be very careful and precise when it came to work with the parts, we were dealing with heavy machinery so following safety procedures was a must and lots of practice was needed to master them. There was little room for error or else you costed the company parts that were no longer useful.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Working Holidays
Looking for thriving manufacturing environment with lean manufacturing direction
Group Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAJuly 7, 2016
A typical day involves the use of lean principles and the application of those principles to situations relevant to decision-making in the aluminum business.

The management culture is that of working with teams in developing their understanding of the business. This is the most critical part of the business is examining the process in which management uses to engage the union workforce in business decisions without violating their collective bargaining agreement.

Job satisfaction is the biggest gain through the engagement of the workforce and helping them understand lean manufacturing tools and advancing process improvement.
Pros
People engagement
Cons
Limited career advancement
Now is one of he most unsecure places to work...3 Layoffs in last 2 years
Senior Staff Technician (Former Employee) –  Alcoa Center, PAMarch 17, 2016
You need to spend 10 hours per day payed for 8,
A lot of rush unplanned work, short in a people, as much you take on your shoulders as more expected from you, management lies all the time.....For example a day of the last layoff of 1/3 of a people, we were told that our department need more people and we will possible get them....But the topics of research are interesting, equipment in good shape and abig spec of it
Nice pace work environment with good benifts
Operator (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILSeptember 29, 2015
I enjoyed working for the steel workers union at the Alcoa facility. It was a good paying job with enjoyable coworkers. It was a team oriented when it came to job tasks and must be capable of operating many job positions in the facility. I learned task organizations and safety to a high level of awareness. I was able to complete training of all job positions within a year, allowing me to be fully optimized as an employee. I wanted to relocate is the only reason for leaving the job. One of the better work environments available in the town of Danville, IL. I wanted to seek better opportunities for myself and raise expectations of future advancements.
Pros
Union benefits
Cons
No A/C and worked next to a very large oven
Great place to work with a company that cares about the community.
Tool and Die Maker (Current Employee) –  Whitehall, MI 49461February 12, 2016
Alcoa Howmet has been a great place to work. I've learned some new skills while at Howmet. Due to recent management changes I was laid off as the company decided to downsize on a pretty large scale. My immediate supervisors were great to work with and made me feel appreciated immeditately. My co-workers were very helpful in getting me acquainted with the new shop and teaching me about the different types of dies I was now working with. I learned how to operate a CNC as well as a wire EDM.