Alcoa Employee Reviews

alright job
Auditor/ Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Del Rio, TXJune 20, 2017
well I cant complain about this job, the job was easy and therefore didn't pay much but I was young so didn't care much for it. just got shocked when we were informed that warehouse was shutting down
Alcoa internship
Human Resource Intern (Former Employee) –  Ferndale, WAJune 12, 2017
Internship at alcoa was great and a great place to learn
I worked there when aluminum prices were really low so there was more stress on managers but it was a great learning opportunity
Needs better work and management system.
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 9, 2017
A lot of changes need to be made. The work environment isn't the best. The job makes you work as if that job is your life. Majority of the workers are great people. However, the higher authority system is not the best. they'll try to work everything out of you before deciding if they want to make you permanent or release you. They'll pay you minimum before giving you what you're worth.
Fast Paced Environment
Shared Services (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 8, 2017
Fantastic place to work if you are ready for constant change. Alcoa has some fantastic team members who are always prepared to help each other. We work in a quick moving environment with many union regulations
n/a
Repair Operator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 3, 2017
it was a great learning experience most of the people there were very helpful. It was a very safe work environment. we covered safety everyday before work
Interesting work, chance for advancement
Resident Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Allen Park, MIJune 2, 2017
I enjoyed working contract to AFL through QIS. My job was to work as a Quality Liaison to multiple Visteon plants. I learned a lot and made connections.
Pros
Interesting work, chance for advancement, nice coworkers
Cons
On call, pushback from union employees, stressful at launch time
Good environment when I was there
Senior Staff Engineer (Former Employee) –  Alcoa, TNJune 1, 2017
This was a good company to work for when I was there. Just had a better opportunity elsewhere and left to take it. Would recommend this job to a friend.
Not the best work environment
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAMay 31, 2017
Most machinist knew more about the job than management. Meeting we're held every week, questions were asked about improving work quality and production but nothing would ever change,
Pros
A lot of OT.
Cons
Pay is so low you have to work OT.
Ok Place
NDT INSPECTOR LEVEL II (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAMay 28, 2017
OK place just work work work work work work work wprk wprk work work this place was ok place was ok this company was ok it was all ok this ok no more no less no more no les paycheck to buy food
alcoa was a very great company to work for. they really cared about their employees.
Lead Man of Sheet Metal operation in charge (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CA 92834May 28, 2017
i started work there when i was 18. i worked my way up through the ranks. changing jobs and departments until i advanced up to the point to where i was in charge of a entire product line of sheet metal. i had oppertunities to work in research and developement, tool design, purchasing, payroll, working with many different people. traveling to many different states for seminars. the challenage of making and breaking production goals. i like to learn new challenges. i love working with people. alcoa gave me alot of oppertunities. i relocated due to the product line was relocating to acuna mexico. my over all almost 30 year experiance was great.
Pros
a people company. holiday lunches. many classes including safety, production, etc. upper management responded to employees imput.
Cons
moved to mexico
Lot of work
CNC Mill Operator (Former Employee) –  Lomita, CAMay 27, 2017
Stressful environment and not enough breaks to to consider a harmless environment. Too many hazards that posed threats to employees. This place needs to be audited for employees fair treatment.
Best place i have worked.
Metal Finisher (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 26, 2017
I loved going to work everyday while working for Alcoa/Arconic. The only reason i left was due to me moving out of state. I enjoyed my time there and learned a lot. The management team was amazing they always took time to train everyone. Safety was number one at all times which i really liked. Alcoa took no shortcuts on quality, safety, or employee needs. I would recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Great staff, competitive pay, overtime is volunteer based.
Cons
Could get very hot near ovens in the summer.
Learned a lot about vinyl and how to control it
Packer/Extruder Operator/Warehouse/Forklift Op (Former Employee) –  Denison, TXMay 25, 2017
Enjoyed the fact that I was able to advance in to every dept. so I could better understand the whole process. Extrusion came naturally to me. I was able to master my line. I loved getting paid for what I knew rather than what I had to do physically. Great benefits and pay for my new family also.
Pros
Loved the shift layout, plenty of balance between home and work.
Cons
Very hot environment
Lack of leadership
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 22, 2017
Working at Alcoa has been a very big learning experience, they pay very well and offered many different types of benefits. But the lack of leadership or the knowledge our leadership had/has made work difficult. Alcoa has a rather big turnover rate for salary team members, essentially hiring candidates from the outside. Whats really hurting the facility is the salary team members they hire aren't knowledgeable pertaining to the job they'll supervise. Which makes it difficult for us to communicate our day to day struggles, because 9 out of 10 times they've never ran the machine and don't know what you're talking about. Most of the time when we had a problem with a machine our supervisor would grab a senior guy from our shift to figure out what to do. If they hired within from the floor, I feel the plant would flourish.
Pros
Breaks, Union
Cons
leadership
Demanding and Rewarding Work
Power/Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Ferndale, WAMay 19, 2017
Great place to start your career, good benefits, good company, provides a quality wage for an honest days work, requires a lot of personal commitment to be successful
Pros
good benefits, competitive wages, job security
Cons
heavy workload
Hard and not reliable
Production, Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, INMay 18, 2017
Worked there for years and was laid off. Found out on the radio on my way home from work that they would lay off 600 workers.The company didn't talk to the workers before they talked to the media.
Good people to work with
Instrument Tech (Former Employee) –  Point Comfort, TXMay 18, 2017
Worked with some wonderful people who cared for each other and wanted to help make each task easier. There were also individuals that wanted to slack-off a lot. In all it was a good place to work. The Supervisors were willing to listen to better ways or get newer equipment to do the job.
Pros
Exta hours to make better money
Cons
Hot and dusty environment
Old School Manufacturing
Planning Manager (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAMay 18, 2017
Alcoa Fastening Systems is a very old school theory "X" run company.
Employees were expected to work between 60-64 hours per week. Punishment for not staying within those parameters.
Pros
Close to Home. Name brand recognition.
Cons
Combative, demanding work environment.
the working conditions was good
Machine Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 18, 2017
It was good job , supervisor and the management were soon good
it was far away from my residential area , since I didn't have my own vehicle I used to be dependent on my Co workers, a part from that I enjoyed good time there
Pros
good workin conditions
Cons
low pay
Maintenance Planning Intern (Former Employee) –  Ferndale, WAMay 16, 2017
Family oriented culture, but not a lot of helpful criticism for someone learning. This is, in large part, due to how lean the company is running. Often times, I will ask for assistance, and no one will be available.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alcoa. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval