Alcon Labs Employee Reviews

what is the point of this
Senior Information Specialist / Network Support (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 13, 2017
my last boss was a jerk and was fired from Pier one.

he did not like me or cared about anyone but himself

i had no change in surving the JOB i should have retired at.

Learning this type of lesson was great
Pros
great benefits
Cons
last boss was horrible
Not bad, but not good
Environmental, Health, & Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Johns Creek, GANovember 10, 2017
Salaried employees are overworked, management doesn't care about anything but their bonuses. there is a strong safety culture, great benefits, and above average pay, but it is a very cutthroat environment. If someone doesn't like you, they will do anything and everything to make you quit or fabricate stories to get you terminated.
Pros
Great vision benefits, good pay
Cons
Long work hours, bad management, cutthroat environment
Very sloopy place to start a Job.
Blow Mold Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 8, 2017
Night shift was ok but everyone in the building is just trying to work for self, I was trained for two weeks and threw to the floor to figure it out, Three departments and I had no clue of witch way to go for assistance so learned by trial and error, This job is not for a structure person with guidelines, must be ready or its stressful.
Pros
They have a open cafiteria
Cons
12 hr shift are not consistance
Best Company in Fort Worth
Mfg. Mgr.and Production Buyer/ Planner (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 7, 2017
Excellent benefits and job opportunities.
Hardworking and excellent employees.
Many experienced employees that know their positions well.
Very concerned with producing high quality products.
Pros
Employees are very important to the company as far as pay and benefits are concerned.
Decent place to work
Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVNovember 4, 2017
Could be better if not poor management and micro management. No one backs you up when you bring up a problem or when you want to discuss a issue. Some people are really good to work with there.
Pros
Good people to work with.
Cons
Poor management
Excellent benefits and perks.
Auditor II, GxP Compliance, R&D Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 3, 2017
I had many years with Alcon and they were good to me. The benefits and perks were excellent. The company match on the 401k was probably the best in the area.
Benefits
Positive
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 29, 2017
I recommend Alcon. They are in the business of helping people to improve their sight. Good vision is precious and this company works to help doctors and patients have the best outcomes possible.
Pros
Company Mission, Benefits, Location, Parking
Senior Tool and Mold maker (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 22, 2017
Worked at Alcon for eight years, company spends money to make improvements and to increase productivity. Nice equipment to work with and benefits are well within needs.
Pros
Growing company
Cons
Development
Stressful
Assembler Technician - Quality Assurance Unit (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 20, 2017
It is very fast paced place and very stressful. Managers usually don't understand any situation or accept excuses. After all, it is good till you find another job.
Great company with relaxed atmosphere
Production Technician (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVOctober 14, 2017
Alcon is a great company to work for because they care about their employees and want them to grow. They offer great benefits and a good amount of paid time off.
Pros
Paid breaks, on site cafeteria
Engineer II - Delivery Systems (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXOctober 11, 2017
A typical day at work involves a lot of brainstorming sessions for new product development, improving existing designs. Testing, root cause analysis etc. Great place to work at with a really good and supportive management.
Stressful place to work
TECHNICIAN IV (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAOctober 5, 2017
I would not recommend anyone to work at Alcon. Management is poor and there is no advancement. The culture is stressful. It's hard to create a career at Alcon.
Pros
salary, benefits
Cons
stressful enviorment
Just an okay work place for a temp. Main issue in my opinion is sexism.
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 2, 2017
Some of the ratings I see here I suppose aren't exactly for the most part describing my experience as an assembler so I'll start off with what's obvious; some few minor ups and downs, then get into a lot more detail with my star ratings. A few ups to mention is there is a nice cafeteria, a decent food concession, and free coffee...that is it...a few minor downs is that it takes a solid 5 minutes to walk from the work place to the cafeteria on a 15 minute break, and that is only if you are walking as humanely fast as possible. On Fridays, it's even worse because the cafeteria is closed during 30 minute breaks. You first have to clock out, then walk at a racing pace to the parking lot, then unlawfully speed to the nearest fast food place, get food (hopefully before anyone else), speed back, then if you're lucky, you'll have five minutes to eat. So to avoid all that, just bring your own lunch. However, should you decide to bring your lunch, you'll have to store it in a fridge with everyone else's, good luck with that. I don't exactly know if anyone has had any problems with storing their lunch with everyone else's.

Welp, that's the minor stuff. Moving on:

Job Culture: I've rated 2 stars:
The atmosphere I feel from the majority of everyone there is pretty stressful partly in fault of most supervisors' leadership style, but mostly the employees for having bad attitudes. dn near everyone there is a temp, except for people who've been working there for at least a minimum of up to 6 months have been promoted to permanent employees of Alcon. I've seen some hard working
  more... people work there for over 12 months and still are temps so yes there is favoritism at play here. As for the leadership style I've witnessed there, they prefer to impose negative enforcement which is okay (I do however prefer a positive motivational atmosphere). Quota is dn near impossible to meet, and that's definitely due to horrible attitudes I've witnessed there, and on top of that, supervisors are definitely not helping as far as incentivizing team work especially since it is an environment where team work is critical thus I do heavily put blame on supervisors. As supervisors, they are in a leadership position. Part of being a leader is motivating people. Negatively or positively, it doesn't actually matter how you motivate, just so as long as they as leaders can meet their standards in which they fail to do so on a weekly basis. If I could rate leadership, I'd rate 0 stars. The majority of temps are there just to go through the motions to have a job (in other words, they just plain don't give a). My philosophy is that attitude is a choice, no matter how lousy your first line leader is. The turn around rate is kinda high. Lot of people quit, and a lot of people got terminated.

Management: 3 stars.
It'd be 1 star less if it wasn't for the most senior manager in direct charge of the temps' first line leaders and another supervisor who'll I'll mention shortly. When mistakes are made, he addresses it and discusses simple actions to take to prevent them in the future. He doesn't talk down to subordinates. His subordinates; the temps first line supervisors however, if I could explain it with another word in addition to how I've aforementioned them in the previous paragraph....sexism. The ladder climbing process of what I've observed is that employees climb the ladder through recognition and consideration of supervisors. All first line supervisors except for the manager are females. Furthermore, supervisors have the authority to place temps in minor authoritative roles, and of course all that were chosen were all females which personally despite sexism wouldn't be much of a problem for me if they could've at least placed someone without a language barrier, a bad attitude, and incompetence in these roles. What ticked me off most is being told to work faster by temps and superiors who work half as fast as I, and having to correct their false corrections towards me time after time by showing them a very simple to read layout of the assembly. Oh and I forgot to mention that when it comes to punctuality, they absolutely love to enforce double standards. I think by giving this section three stars is being kind. I do give three stars though because there's at least one female supervisor who has gave me recognition and moving me to a different area filling a position designated for those who are vigilant. That made all the difference for me while working there. Therefore if you catch the right person's eye as a male, sexism won't be an issue for you.

Job Security/Advancement: 3 stars
I haven't really any input as far as job security. Advancement however, all input I can really give is having the potential to make it into a permanent position from a temp after 6 months. This however is not guaranteed. Observably, (much emphasis on "observably") if you're a female with a sub-par work ethic, you're more likely to have preference to a permanent position to a male with an exceptional work ethic. Not trying to be resentful, I'm doing nothing more than to give the my utmost, utterly honest review to inform people of my experience and or what to expect if things there haven't changed.

Compensation/Benefits: 3 stars
I think even for temps, they do offer medical and dental after a deductible figure I can't quite recall. It mattered not to me because I already had a better health and dental plan at the time. As for pay compensation, starting is at $10/hr which would only be okay if you're single. If you're lucky enough to get a permanent position, from what I hear, they'll give you a $3 raise after 6 months however, considering the issues I've mentioned, would it really be worth it?

Job Work/Life Balance: 4 stars
The position is full time and does enforce overtime hours. For the most part while I was there, they gave us weekends off, and from time to time had to work weekends.

Overall rating: 3 stars
In summary, I wouldn't say it's an absolutely bad place to work. It does have it's ups and downs. Management could be a lot better. I think it could be a lot better if people were to actually address these issues when they administer anonymous surveys for temps to have the opportunity to do so. Problem is, most of everyone has a bad attitude and would rather not address any issues. On that note, management can help this if they would only realize that in their position, they can actually influence morale. Should anyone decide to work here, or anywhere for that matter, it is what you make of it. Despite everything I've mentioned, I decided leave simply because better opportunity was knocking at the door and I took it. I could have stayed for 6 months to a year or however long it would've took to get a permanent position, but decided it wasn't worth it.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
poor management: first line leaders specifically
Excellent benefits
Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee) –  Sinking Spring, PAOctober 1, 2017
Excellent benefits. Ability to advance. Company offers training and leadership programs. Management team is always there to offer support. It is a diversity cultural company .
Benefits
good place to work
Manpower Temp Service (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVSeptember 28, 2017
started on 2nd shift stayed on 2nd for almost 8 years, some people have been there for 12+ years with very little chance of going to 1st shift, sometimes worked 6 days a week doing the same repetitive job every day
good job
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 27, 2017
a good place to work. has a diversified culture and have awesome benefits. most employees been there over 15 years and still show up to work.great job if productions is what you want as a career
Pros
great benefits
Cons
shifts
slow paced work
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 25, 2017
To many people complaining. I felt negative energy as soon as I walked into the door. The jobs were easy. Work was not hard just boring. I would recommend this job to someone elderly.
good place
SMT Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 20, 2017
they pay very well if you have the right experience. they pace extremely fast pace.and the production quality they expect are extremely high. no time to breath and no room for error
Pros
well pay
Cons
very fast pace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 12, 2017
Team environment is wonderful. Great support system. Wonderful training is always available. Never felt like I was not equipped or unprepared for challenges.
Pros
Supportive Team
Cons
Responsibilities are extensive
great place to work with room for advancement.
Quality Assurance Auditor/ Lens Technician (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 9, 2017
Inspect intraocular lenses according to FDA regulations prior to shipment to the customer.

clean and inspect lenses for scratches and flaws'
Pros
Monthly company dinners and outings
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alcon Labs. Our community is ready to answer.